Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

12 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Without looking up his numbers, he was always a tough out last year when we played MIA. iirc.

4 time All-Star.  Very solid signing.  Clear upgrade from Dozier. I think this takes us out of Donaldson sweepstakes.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him sign elsewhere sooner than later.  Fingers still crossed maybe deal for Kris Bryant.

Edited by -JB-

10 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Without looking up his numbers, he was always a tough out last year when we played MIA. iirc.

kinda has an ian desmond approach. decent BA, bad OBP, decent pop, lots of K's, few walks accordingly. was always highly thought of as a prospect when he was with the cubs, but never quite lived up to that potential. maybe we get the year or two that he throws it all together

not really sure about is defense though

baseball ref has his 2020 projections at .274/.317/.744 OPS, with 18hrs & 70rbis

we could do alot worse at 2nd

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

That would be another Rizzo masterstroke. 

For real. I don't think he is enough for the Cubbies though.

Kieboom is already 22 years old...Bryant will be 28 tomorrow. How long would it take Kieboom to reach where Bryant is now? And could he earn an MVP in that span?

If you can build a package without Robles, pull the trigger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

For real. I don't think he is enough for the Cubbies though.

Kieboom is already 22 years old...Bryant will be 28 tomorrow. How long would it take Kieboom to reach where Bryant is now? And could he earn an MVP in that span?

If you can build a package without Robles, pull the trigger.

We're going to have to empty out our pitching prospects even further to get Bryant. 

If this is what happens, we can't rely on our farm system to fix the bullpen at the deadline like we always do. It's absolutely imperative that we go into the season fully stocked. 

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

We're going to have to empty out our pitching prospects even further to get Bryant. 

If this is what happens, we can't rely on our farm system to fix the bullpen at the deadline like we always do. It's absolutely imperative that we go into the season fully stocked. 

Kieboom plus a couple pitching prospects is what it’ll take at the very least.  True, but It’s worth it to get a guy of Bryant’s stature in the heart of our order.  I don’t want to get too ahead of myself, because I still think there’s a slim chance they trade him to Nats.  But holding out to hope we can deal for bullpen help at the deadline would be crazy stuff.  

So apparently (according to Rosenthal) Nats want to start Kieboom in AAA.  Plan A is to sign Donaldson, sign Zim and a lefty first.  Plan B is to sign Cabrera to play third, sign Zim and a lefty first, then possibly use the savings on extra bullpen help.

Donaldson is asking for 4/110 and is waiting for one of the Nats, Twins, and Braves to match it.  Looks like all three are at least at 4 yrs at whatever.  My speculation is that if all things are equal, Donaldson is going back to Atlanta.

So looks like Kieboom will not be counted on as a solution, at least to start the season.  The back up to losing out on Donaldson is Cabrera.  I suppose a trade for Bryant (or another top level 3rd) would change the picture, but if the price was reasonable, Rizzo probably already pulls the trigger on a trade instead of hoping to win out on Donaldson.

With all that, I think paying Donaldson 4/100 is bad and 4/110 is terrible, especially considering they chose not to pay Rendon 35 AAV for a deal that includes prime years.  Unfortunately, this was the very predictable endgame of being left bidding for the last major free agent option for filling the need at 3rd base.  

If there are no reasonable trade options on the table, they may need to bite the bullet, go with Cabrera and hope Kieboom takes a major leap.  Use the money for some short term bullpen improvements and see where that gets them with an eye towards next year.  Chances of contending in such a scenario seems low, but your options are limited at this point.  Being tied down to Donaldson at 27.5 AAV for 4 years at this stage of his career, one year removed from an injury lost season should be a no go.

4 years 110m for Donaldson isn’t horrible. He’s really good. Yeah there’s an extra year on that deal beyond what would be ideal, but that’s the market. 

The backup plan of Castro + Cabrera is ok, but my guess is we see Kieboom sometime in May if those are our starters. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 1

If we want to entirely deplete our farm system and go for the repeat, you can't deny how enticing this would be as an opening day lineup:

1. Turner

2. Eaton 

3. Bryant

4. Soto

5. Kendrick 

6. Castro 

7. Robles 

8. Suzuki/Gomes 

9. Scherzer/Strasburg/Corbin/Sanchez 

Absolutely disgusting. We would certainly be NL favorites. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Just signed Cabrera. My guess is that means they are out on Donaldson and quickly moved on their plan C. 

We'll see. Cabrera was pretty damn good for us. Tiny deal for a guy who can start or come off the bench.

Don't think 2.5M means much in a 100M deal that Donaldson wants.

10 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Just signed Cabrera. My guess is that means they are out on Donaldson and quickly moved on their plan C. 

It could also be that 1/2.5 was just too good a deal to pass up for Cabrera.  But yeah, I get the feeling that Donaldson is pretty set on going back to Atlanta, it's just a matter of leveraging other teams to get the best deal from the Braves.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I don't think Castro or AssCab are starting at third.

I doubt it's Rizzo's preferred choice, but we are rapidly running out of options.  I mean Zim/lefty, Castro, Turner, Cabrera with Howie rotating is not terrible.  Certainly not ideal by any means, but not terrible. 

Maybe they can leverage the 20 mil they are saving and sign some bullpen to 1 year deals.  Our pen was so bad that we could make up a lot of ground with improvements there.  If this was gonna be the outcome, I certainly wouldn't have minded a flyer on Treinan or Betances (obviously timing didn't work.  Just talking hindsight).

8 minutes ago, bearrock said:

It could also be that 1/2.5 was just too good a deal to pass up for Cabrera.  But yeah, I get the feeling that Donaldson is pretty set on going back to Atlanta, it's just a matter of leveraging other teams to get the best deal from the Braves.

I doubt it's Rizzo's preferred choice, but we are rapidly running out of options.  I mean Zim/lefty, Castro, Turner, Cabrera with Howie rotating is not terrible.  Certainly not ideal by any means, but not terrible. 

Maybe they can leverage the 20 mil they are saving and sign some bullpen to 1 year deals.  Our pen was so bad that we could make up a lot of ground with improvements there.  If this was gonna be the outcome, I certainly wouldn't have minded a flyer on Treinan or Betances (obviously timing didn't work.  Just talking hindsight).

Exactly what I’m thinking. If you are struggling you can bring up Kieboom in May/June and hope he’s ready. But decent-ish infield right now, and you can invest that $25-28m from Donaldson in the bullpen. 

• Like 1

Signing Asdrubel back is solid and I like the moves over the last couple days. We could field this team on Opening Day and be alright for a little while.

As with others, I'm not a fan of Donaldson for four years. It feels like it would be desperate and reckless to do so, and it appears Rizzo agrees.

5 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Here’s an idea... what if the 1B plan is Kendrick/Cabrera. Zimm not brought back.  They’d still be in on Donaldson in this scenario. 

Yea, I could see that.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see Zimm announce retirement before spring training.  Donaldson could still be a possibility although I’d bet he’s itching to go back to Atlanta.  With the $ saved by not signing Donaldson I could see $ thrown to further fix the bullpen, maybe Hudson comes back after-all.

Kieboom could battle for a spot in spring training with a chance to play 2B/3B.  If he isn’t ready he can start the season in AAA.  Great to have him continue to develop and hopefully ready to contribute sooner than later.

Edited by -JB-

46 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Here’s an idea... what if the 1B plan is Kendrick/Cabrera. Zimm not brought back.  They’d still be in on Donaldson in this scenario. 

I don't think 8.5 they spent on Castro and Cabrera takes them out of Donaldson financially.  But I don't know if Donaldson is really interested in choosing here over Atlanta.

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I don't think 8.5 they spent on Castro and Cabrera takes them out of Donaldson financially.  But I don't know if Donaldson is really interested in choosing here over Atlanta.

I don’t know that it completely rules it out, but not sure they would have grabbed Castro at $6m/yr if they felt they still had a good chance of signing Donaldson. The two quick back to back moves seem to me like they had tentative agreements in place with them in the event another plan didn’t work out. That plan was presumably Donaldson. 

• Like 3

We're squandering our two year window with Scherzer playing Castro at third. We might as well go youth movement and consider fast tracking Luis Garcia at that point. There's not enough offense on this team to win it all without a solid replacement for Rendon. 

And if we do go to plan C at third, there is no rational justification for not signing Hudson or someone even better for the pen. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1