Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

18 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Dugout shots showed them clowning the fans and it was pissing me off, like they knew because it was us, this was over. Reminds me of those comments from Cubs brass a few years ago, or the Giants pitcher (was it Jake Peavy?) in '14 NLDS where he said we had no balls, even though he was right

**** them. Enjoy the offseason.

Haha! It's like some other team I've heard of,  except they finish in the second half of the game. 

28 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I did mention on Twitter that Harper would have struck out...

100%. He would have tried to swing out of his shoes. Hader would have eaten him up. Same thing happened our last two playoff series. Harper wasn't clutch at all, only really hit bombs off Hunter Strickland.

• Like 2

Britt Ghiroli is worth the price of an Athletic subscription:

In their three most recent do-or-die games at Nationals Park, Washington led 6-0, 1-0 and 4-1. We all know how those turned out — soul-crushing losses to St. Louis, Los Angeles and Chicago. The curse worsened with every blow. Fans white-knuckled games in September, wondering if they were in for another collapse. Not this team. Not this time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

That was amazing. The sports highlight of my life. 

Seeing that in person was amazing. I was by the Budweiser Red Porch for the 8th inning sitting in the couches they have there, watching on the big screen. When he did that you heard the whole stadium erupt. People started jumping on top of the counter at the Budweiser Red Porch and waving their towels around.

I usually am pretty quiet at the games because I take a professional approach. But I could not help but yell out when the Nationals scored that run, and I had largely been watching and watching from my 400 level seat all night without a peep, occasionally standing to clap on 2 strikes 2 out situations.

I had never heard that place so loud before and it was just an amazing experience to be there live when that happened. When you're there, you can't really comprehend it either in the moment. It's like, what is going on? I thought it was tied at first, there are so many emotions at once. You're distracted by all the people just yelling and jumping up on tables and couches. You don't notice that 3 runs scored on that single. All you hear is the crowd noise, you see the TV and you see the ball go through the fielder, and you don't really understand in that moment that it's 4-3. I remember seeing the scoreboard on the TV say Milwaukee 3 Washington 4 and I was like "Holy ****."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Doing some homework 📚 

Parra 13-41 career vs Klayshaw

Eaton 1-9

Start Parra in game one??

The lineup vs Klayshaw game one would I would like to see...

Turner
Robles
Rendon
Soto
Howie
Zimmerman
Parra
Gomes
Corbin

Great resource for those matchups:

http://dailybaseballdata.com/cgi-bin/dailyhit.pl?date=1003&xyear=0&pa=1&showdfs=&sort=ops&r40=0&scsv=0

Unsung hero from last night's game... Eric Fedde??!??

Yes. Eric Fedde:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/02/behind-scenes-stephen-strasburgs-first-ever-crucial-relief-appearance/

by Sam Fortier

Erick Fedde was sitting on a bench in the bullpen tunnel, talking with other relievers and watching the wild-card game on TV when he realized something. He scanned the lineup card. The Washington Nationals starter, ace Max Scherzer, was due up fourth in the fifth inning. The Nationals trailed the Milwaukee Brewers by two runs and, if anyone reached, this seemed like a moment to pinch-hit for Scherzer.

Fedde stood up. He was a starter for most of this season, but when he first transitioned to the bullpen, veteran relievers alerted him to situations the team might need him in before they happened. That calculus never would have occurred to him as a starter, but he now understood. He thought: “You know who I should tell? The guy who’s going to pitch.”

The young right-hander walked down the tunnel and over to the veteran, sitting and watching in the bullpen. The potential domino effect surprised Strasburg, but it made sense. He got up to stretch.

“I didn't really think about that,” Strasburg said later. “Good looking out on him.”

The situation played out exactly as Fedde suspected. Brian Dozier pinch-hit, then Strasburg entered in the sixth and he held the Nationals’ two-run deficit long enough for the heroics of Juan Soto . . .

. . .

The party was raucous — whistles chirping and bass lines pounding and alcohol flying everywhere — but those who understood the gravity of what Strasburg had done found him in the quieter moments. Pitching coach Paul Menhart pulled him in for a hug. Catcher Yan Gomes pounded him on the chest. Martinez leaned in and told him, “Good job.”

Then Strasburg spotted Fedde and waved him over. The younger pitcher craned over a white folding table as the veteran talked in a low voice. Strasburg thanked Fedde in a few words of his own because, without that heads up, who knows what would have happened. They might not have been standing there at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/02/behind-scenes-stephen-strasburgs-first-ever-crucial-relief-appearance/

• Like 4

5 hours ago, -JB- said:

Gotta be #4 right? Lolol

Ok, I think its because when Carter hit that, there was only 1 out.   So you can potentially say the next batter may have been the hero.  Whereas with Soto, there was 2 outs.  So it was either get on base, driving in at least one run, or end the inning, with one inning remaining to drive in 2 runs to at least tie it, which is much harder to do.   So the leverage was higher.   

Its telling that the Hal Smith homer is highest, despite not being a game winner.   It was a three run shot that the put the Pirates up 9-7 going into the 9th.   However the next inning, the Yankees rally to tie it up 9-9.  Then Maseroski hits the game winning homer in the bottom of the ninth.   But the logic is, the Hal Smith homer should have been the game winner, because in baseball its hard to score runs in any given inning, and harder to score 2.   There was also like Soto, 2 outs when Hal Smith hit the home run.

I'm wondering, if Soto had actually hit a grand slam, would it then become the highest WPA added?  Because the Brewers would have needed 2 runs to tie it at least, vs just 1 for the double. 

12 hours ago, purbeast said:

You think Josh Norman was watching the game, seeing how DC reacts when there is something to cheer about?

Probably making excuses for the Brewers right fielder

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1