Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I wish I was .01% as confident as Soto...

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

As an A's fan and Dodgers hater, I wish the Nats all the good fortune in the NLDS.. 

Pulling for the As--lots of exNats on there. Want to see Jesus Luzardo dominate.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I wish I was .01% as confident as Soto...

Pulling for the As--lots of exNats on there. Want to see Jesus Luzardo dominate.

This is why as much as I want to see the A's win tonight, I am content with their 2019 season because I really feel with Luzardo & AJ Puk joining the starting rotation in 2020, the front office can focus on bullpen help in the offseason, add that to their already stout defense and offense.  They have a chance to go from "good story" to a true contender. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

If the nats make a good run the redskins place in the DC sports pecking order is going to be third. 

Based on last night and today a lot of people are paying attention to this team and enjoying it. 

I never understood this mentality of having to pick a local team.

I root for all of them and can enjoy all of them, even not really being a baseball fan.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I root for all of them and can enjoy all of them, even not really being a baseball fan.

Same here. 

I don’t think people are going to pick a team, I just think everyone has a hierarchy of importance.  I think the majority are placing the redskins 3rd. 

5 years ago a Redskins preseason game outrated postseason play for everyone else. Now? The redskins cowboys game was among the lowest Hometown ratings of the week. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Let's put it this way: if the Nats are playing at 3 on Sunday, my main TV will be on the Nats.  Skins will be on the iPad.  I never thought I would ever say that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Popeman38 said:

Let's put it this way: if the Nats are playing at 3 on Sunday, my main TV will be on the Nats.  Skins will be on the iPad.  I never thought I would ever say that.

I'll be watching the Redskins if that is the case.  This season is a trainwreck of epic proportions.  It's similar to the same reasons I follow politics now because of Trump.  

Strasburg and Scherzer have entered Ryan Zimmerman territory of unquestioned fan love and loyalty for me.

Those two are going up on our Mount Rushmore as the inaugural members.  It's been a genuine privilege to watch them play for us.  I'm going to be so sad if Strasburg opts out and leaves us this winter.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Agree, the coolest part about living in Boston was that even the team that was #4 in their hierarchies mattered. Everyone was on board when it came down to business, no lame "oh they don't count because I don't know the rules so it's dumb!" sentiments. Some people in DC legitimately resent when other teams do well because it takes focus away from their #1, that's wild.

I want DC to be a stream of parades.

What Stras did last night was amazing. He knew he should have started and hasn't complained. Came in to a new situation for him and didn't pull an Orchid. He has to be feeling good today. Hopefully the amount of innings allows him to recover and be ready for game 3 or maybe even 2.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

What Stras did last night was amazing. He knew he should have started and hasn't complained. Came in to a new situation for him and didn't pull an Orchid. He has to be feeling good today. Hopefully the amount of innings allows him to recover and be ready for game 3 or maybe even 2.

I think he starts game 2. 

Game 1- Corbin 

Game 2- Strasburg (3 day rest after 34 pitches)
travel day
Game 3- Scherzer (5 days rest)
Game 4- Sanchez/Corbin combo (Corbin on 4 days rest, he might start this game if he shows well in game 1)

travel day

Game 5- Strasburg (5 days rest), Max available from the bullpen on 3 days rest) 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Killed me when they **** the bed in '17 after his epic game 4 at Wrigley. Should've gone down in baseball lore. Thankfully the team rallied and made up for it a bit last night.

And for once, some bull**** finally happened to the other team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Strasburg and Scherzer have entered Ryan Zimmerman territory of unquestioned fan love and loyalty for me.

Those two are going up on our Mount Rushmore as the inaugural members.  It's been a genuine privilege to watch them play for us.  I'm going to be so sad if Strasburg opts out and leaves us this winter.

Soto is already there for me

Kid is a baseball legend in the making

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Let's say we're able to steal game one.  What about Sanchez for game 2?

Refer to my post above that includes the travel days. If you save Strasburg for game 3, you also burn one of the travel days. He’d be on 3 days rest for game 5 vs 5 days rest. Assuming he feels good, I think you have to start him game 2 just so he can pitch twice in the series. He’s our greatest asset right now. Not a knock on Sanchez but I want to get Stras as many innings vs LAD as possible. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Refer to my post above that includes the travel days. If you save Strasburg for game 3, you also burn one of the travel days. He’d be on 3 days rest for game 5 vs 5 days rest. Assuming he feels good, I think you have to start him game 2 just so he can pitch twice in the series. He’s our greatest asset right now. Not a knock on Sanchez but I want to get Stras as many innings vs LAD as possible. 

That's a fair point, and I could see us using the schedule you propose.  But I do worry a little about pitching him on short rest.  And I like the idea of using him and Max at home.  It's a moot point if we lose game one though.  Have to go all in for game 2 in that position.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's a fair point, and I could see us using the schedule you propose.  But I do worry a little about pitching him on short rest.  And I like the idea of using him and Max at home.  It's a moot point if we lose game one though.  Have to go all in for game 2 in that position.

Last night was his regularly scheduled start day and he only threw 34 pitches. Basically a vigorous bullpen session. I'd think he'd be fine for Game 2, but definitely would be a matter of getting him to confirm that on game day. 

43 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I agree you have to go to 3 man rotation vs powerhouse team like Dodgers.

8 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

My first playoff win in 15 tries.  It was so worth it.  Some of those moves by Davey seems fishy.

Not batting for Max early, using Dozier and MAT as PH.   We lucked out but maybe we need to do things not by the book to win this year

If they work they work!