Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worse owner: Daniel Snyder or Peter Angelos?

Springfield

Snyder or Angelos  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Snyder or Angelos?

I’m not an Os fan so I don’t have firsthand experience with Angelos. But man, the Skins have fallen so far under Snyder. They were one of the best 3-4 franchises in the NFL (in terms of fanbase, value, etc). Now they have 20 years of futility, embarrassing mismanagement on a consistent basis, and a grossly eroded fanbase. There are possible fixes to the first two if Snyder improves operations (no small task, of course), but it would take years of winning and competence to start to rebuild their standing with a once-proud fanbase.

It’s truly impressive how everything Snyder has done with the Skins has failed miserably. He’s got the Midas touch, but with excrement. 

This is a tough one, but I’ll go with snyder. As much as I hate Angelos and know it’s only a matter of time before he’s not the owner, they at least are trying something productive now. They hired an analytics guy and are going to rebuild that way. I’m not going to claim that will work and those of us who are Orioles fans know they will suck for the next few years. But at least they are trying something different and appear to be giving control to the GM to do this.  

Snyder is still stuck in the same cycle of suck and the only thing he does is keep going backwards and not forwards as if that is going to fix things. Snyder would make this a tougher question to answer if he would fire Allen and bring in a real football guy and let that guy run things. It wouldn’t suddenly make him a great owner or even better than Angelos. But it would be an improvement from falling down the abyss like they are now.

17 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I voted Snyder.  Had to google who Angelo's was.  Not really a baseball fan.

(Sidenote:  baseball would be a lot more fun to watch if the batter got to keep the bat as he ran bases.)

I had to google him as well, I guessed Wizards owner before I googled.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

This one is actually tough. I'll go with Angelos because I'm not sure he really cares at all about winning. For all his faults I think Snyder does care and want to win, he's just completely blind about how to go about doing it.

Who says Snyder cares and wants to win?  To me, he makes moves to bring in revenue. 

3 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

This is a tough one, but I’ll go with snyder. As much as I hate Angelos and know it’s only a matter of time before he’s not the owner, they at least are trying something productive now. They hired an analytics guy and are going to rebuild that way. I’m not going to claim that will work and those of us who are Orioles fans know they will suck for the next few years. But at least they are trying something different and appear to be giving control to the GM to do this.  

Snyder is still stuck in the same cycle of suck and the only thing he does is keep going backwards and not forwards as if that is going to fix things. Snyder would make this a tougher question to answer if he would fire Allen and bring in a real football guy and let that guy run things. It wouldn’t suddenly make him a great owner or even better than Angelos. But it would be an improvement from falling down the abyss like they are now.

Don't give Angelos the satisfaction of making the analytics hire.  His kids are in charge now, they made that happen.  

Disagree about Angelos. While he is a horrible he would’ve fired Ernie years ago. The fact that Ted won’t fire him is maybe the craziest part of the area’s sports world in the last 10 years. 

The litmus test for not being the worst owner in a particular league should be: would they have fired EG years ago?

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Don't give Angelos the satisfaction of making the analytics hire.  His kids are in charge now, they made that happen.  

I’m not giving him any satisfaction. I don’t care if it was him or his kids. There is at least something looking forward happening there. Not so with the Redskins. Angelos still sucks and will always be remembered for being an awful owner.

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Disagree about Angelos. While he is a horrible he would’ve fired Ernie years ago. The fact that Ted won’t fire him is maybe the craziest part of the area’s sports world in the last 10 years. 

The litmus test for not being the worst owner in a particular league should be: would they have fired EG years ago?

Who's talking about Leonsis?  It's Snyder vs. Angelos, per the title of the thread.  And anything Leonsis does with the Wiz is offset by the Caps winning the Cup last year.  Even if you don't care about the Caps, the fact that he's had success as an owner in hockey can't be ignored.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Who's talking about Leonsis?  It's Snyder vs. Angelos, per the title of the thread.  And anything Leonsis does with the Wiz is offset by the Caps winning the Cup last year.  Even if you don't care about the Caps, the fact that he's had success as an owner in hockey can't be ignored.

Whoops, I was thinking this was the other thread. Did realize a new one started. 

Wiz fans disagree that the Caps success gives Ted a pass on EG. 

Per this thread. Both are equally awful. Not sure how one distinguishes in this case. Meddling, bad hires, way more losing than winning, empty stadiums.

4 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I voted Snyder.  Had to google who Angelo's was.  Not really a baseball fan.

This is why the poll wont be far and away Angelos.  Already reminds me of the Bruce vs Ernie thread. 

The way that O's playoff team got dismantled looked malicious AF.  Snyder is also not an asshole towards any of the other DC teams, dude is still salty he couldn't stop DC from getting Nats and takes it out on us via MASN.

11 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’m not an Os fan so I don’t have firsthand experience with Angelos. But man, the Skins have fallen so far under Snyder. They were one of the best 3-4 franchises in the NFL (in terms of fanbase, value, etc). Now they have 20 years of futility, embarrassing mismanagement on a consistent basis, and a grossly eroded fanbase. There are possible fixes to the first two if Snyder improves operations (no small task, of course), but it would take years of winning and competence to start to rebuild their standing with a once-proud fanbase.

It’s truly impressive how everything Snyder has done with the Skins has failed miserably. He’s got the Midas touch, but with excrement. 

The Redskins were bad when Snyder bought the team. Everyone seems to forget that JKC is 100% responsible for FedEx, and the team was BAD from 1993-97. Turner had one really good season (1999). Snyder rightfully fired Norval and made a good hire in Marty. Snyder made a HUGE mistake firing Marty after 1 season. Spurrier was a consensus NFL hire but it didn’t work out. Gibbs was an attempt to restore glory (can’t fault that move, if Sean Taylor stays at Redskins Park who knows what happens in 2008). Zorn was a craptastrophe, no other way to say it. Shanahan was a solid retread, and had Ngata not hurt RG3 in the scramble against Baltimore who knows what happens in the playoffs and beyond. Jay Gruden is horrible, and unimaginative, and refuses to adapt his game plan  to his available players. 

In short, Angelos is worse because he doesn’t really try...

Archived