skinfan2k

Redskins Cut DJ Swearinger!

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, dyst said:

This seems like a really hard concept for some lol

I am not disagreeing with the position of benching/fining/de-activating him for the last game and then trying to trade him in the off-season.  That would have been the way to get some return on his departure.

However, I also see that intrinsic value to the team that you don't let this happen repeatedly without the hammer dropping.  Argue that it should have happened 3 times earlier and I will agree.

 

But the whole narrative that was running about this being his way to get out of here now to get to a contender is/was ridiculous.  Maybe people were just jumping to the best case scenario for DJ, as a way to be even more enraged as to an inflated sense of value in him, but come-on man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, dav87sc said:

So, being picked up by the last team that cut him and which has the worst record in the NFL is something that shows value?  Exactly how does that change the narrative?

He went from a mediocre team to the worst team.....so much for the narrative about being picked up by a playoff contender for cheap $$$$.

The Cardinals are first in the waiver order.  So the very first team who had a choice of whether he and his contract are worth it decided he was.  And like others have said, he has been in the Cardinals locker room, and they still decided he was worth it.  

 

Does anyone honestly believe the Redskins wouldn't have gotten a draft pick in return for him?  Even if they couldn't, which I don't believe is the case, to cut him before exploring that possibility is wasteful.  The season had SIX DAYS left before it was over.  The thought of him still being a Redskin while serving a suspension was too much for them to bear in a season they were already eliminated, they had to act immediately and flush all potential of getting a return on him because they couldn't tolerate him for six more days?!?  When the draft rolls around, and there are guys on the board in the midrounds that would help this team, remember how the Redskins flushed the opportunity to select that player down the toilet, because DJ could have been swapped for that pick.  

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bang said:

I doubt it. The Chiefs may call, but that is desperation. Desperation is a lot different than desire.

We're supposed to bow down to all you know, and within minutes you're proven wrong. Amazing how that happens, no?

3 hours ago, Bang said:

Let's just assume a little.

 

Assumption:

Assumption:

Assumption.

There's no need for assumptions, We could have waited to find out if he was worth anything in a trade. It wouldn't have cost us anything to do so. This is all I see people arguing here, to find out. I don't know if he would have fetched anything, I don't pretend to know. You're the only one who claims to know, and think it entitles you to mock anyone who doesn't agree with your certainty. And without the certainty you assert, you have no argument, because the other argument was simply to wait and find out.

 

If anyone is arguing Swearinger should not have been disciplined, or is terribly upset that the team didn't commit to him for next year, then find them, quote them and respond to them. Rather than painting people with this broad brush that applies to almost no one.

 

So, let's see:

- You're using a Straw Man about people being upset about the team issuing discipline.

- In the midst of claiming there was no way Swearinger could have had any trade value as a malcontent, you bring up the completely contradictory example of malcontent Jamie Collins being traded for a 3rd round draft pick.

- You completely misrepresented the terms of that trade. 

- You claim that only a desperation playoff team would pick him up, when instead it was a team that knows him that picked him up for next year before anyone else could.

- You've topped it off with tons of condescension and hinted that people who have a problem with the situation should 'follow Swearinger out'.

 

Yeah, you're not worth any more of my time. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, dav87sc said:

So, being picked up by the last team that cut him and which has the worst record in the NFL is something that shows value?  Exactly how does that change the narrative?

He went from a mediocre team to the worst team.....so much for the narrative about being picked up by a playoff contender for cheap $$$$.

All we know is that since waivers work in reverse order the very first team with a chance to get him... got him.

 

That doesn't mean all 31 other teams put in a claim. It does suggest that he was desirable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 12:45 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’d honestly love if Philly signs DJ Swearinger this week (why not, they have safety issues right?) and then he gets a pick 6 against us. Just to say **** you Bruce and jay 😂😂😂

Yea. I’ve gone from a

love to a hate relationship with the skins. I suppose deep down, I care. But whenever I’m with the skins I just wanna **** slap ‘em. So it’s over. I want the Skins to lose every game they ****ing play. Call me up deep in the night wanting to get back together...sell me some goddamn game tickets. I will get the pleasure of hanging up the goddamn phone.

**** this team!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dav87sc said:

So, being picked up by the last team that cut him and which has the worst record in the NFL is something that shows value?  Exactly how does that change the narrative?

He went from a mediocre team to the worst team.....so much for the narrative about being picked up by a playoff contender for cheap $$$$.

You realize he couldn't be picked up by a playoff contender because the Cardinals had first shot at him and took him, right?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burgold said:

So, just for a flip side argument. What if DJ tried to handle it the right way? What if he made his complaints to his his position coach, then DC, and finally up to Gruden and worked his way up the ladder, citing his fears that the lackadaisical approach to practices was harming their chances or that the change in scheme was harming the team? What if he did all that and no one addressed it and the team continued to loaf and failed to adapt the scheme leading to the same weaknesses being exploited game after game after game.

 

What then?

 

Is there ever a point where it's a good idea to go above their head and try to force their hand?

 

While, it may never be good to go over their head, sometimes you gotta do what you believe is right. Apparently, DJ thought he was right in his beliefs. Too bad it cost him his job in DC.

 

I'm still mad about the way the team handled this. Gruden is freaking soft and so is the staff and rest of the front office. Seems to me they were embarrassed because he specifically dogged out the DC. Jay should have put a boot up his butt from DAY 1. Progressive discipline. Then cut him if he doesn't get his act together. 

Now, we get nothing and have another hole to fill in the secondary. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

Jay should have put a boot up his butt from DAY 1. Progressive discipline. Then cut him if he doesn't get his act together. 

Now, we get nothing and have another hole to fill in the secondary. 

The irony is if Jay did run a tight ship (put a boot up with his butt) there's a good chance that DJ never makes a peep to the media. There'd be no need.

 

One thing which makes me think Swearinger's complaint holds water is that I remember the Alabama boys saying that college practices were much harder. We've heard other pros say the same thing about Jay's camps. Then, we get to the preseason games and Jay tries his best to never give his vets any snaps at all which winds up meaning that it takes us about three regular season games until we round into game speed. More, I can't shake the suspicion that these hyper-soft practices, etc. contribute to all our injury woes. Jay is just too nice to his guys. He doesn't want anyone to work up a sweat.

 

That still doesn't make it right for DJ to mouth off to the media, but it does help us to understand his frustration, especially when after 5 years of really laid back practices, Jay hasn't changed it up. At some point, embarrassing the boss even at your cost is the best way to be loyal to the organization.

 

Again, I would have suspended DJ for the last game as a penalty and if you decided the repeated insubordination warranted termination or trade I'd address it after the season.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REDSKINS JR said:

Whats the cap hit

 

like an extra 1.3 million.  Our available cap for next year jumps from 12+ to 17+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is DJ really this ignorant?  He says "They spit in my face for giving my opinion". Does he not understand that he spit in the face of the organization by airing the dirty laundry through the media?  I never heard a coach talk to the media about DJ's missed assignments or bad tackles, or how his 90 PFF rating in week 8 has plummeted to a 79.8  over the last 7 weeks because he's been an average to below average player.

 

The Redskins FO is what it is, they are morons for cutting him but DJ is a joke of a man, it's interesting how a loudmouth who has shown his ass has somehow found a way to spin this as if he was a victim, thing is people will bite on it because Bruce and Dan are boobs, but it doesn't make it right.

 

This is a guy who's played for 5 teams and he isn't even 28 years old, but he's a great player?  Give me a break.

 

 

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While DJ may have embraced being a vocal leader with a bit too much gumption, the team screwed up by not addressing him complaining publicly sooner.  Or if they did, suspend him first vs cut him.  Rest assured whoever we have in here next year, will not be as good as him. 

 

It seems the players liked him which does not bode well for us - yet more internal dissension.  And the drama train continues chugging ahead. I think its safe to say Jay wasn't behind him being cut.  Jay will be trotted out to the media to be the lightning rod once again. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people are ignoring the fact that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes...which is a LOT of stuff...maybe up to 90%

When coaches decide to cut a player, they don't base it only on information that's available to the public (like media, social media, and field performance)

None of us knows all the things DJS said and did at Redskins Park towards the FO, Coaches, and other players.

DJS might very well have done something or things that none of us are privy to, that if we knew about it, then 100% would agree the cutting was warranted.

In fact that's very possible considering the way this team runs things so tight-lipped about internal matters.

I'm not saying he absolutely deserved to be cut, or that he didn't. Just that what information is made public to us, could be about 10% of the whole issue ; or

a very low amount compared to what is kept internal.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

A lot of people are ignoring the fact that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes...which is a LOT of stuff...maybe up to 90%

When coaches decide to cut a player, they don't base it only on information that's available to the public (like media, social media, and field performance)

None of us knows all the things DJS said and did at Redskins Park towards the FO, Coaches, and other players.

DJS might very well have done something or things that none of us are privy to, that if we knew about it, then 100% would agree the cutting was warranted.

In fact that's very possible considering the way this team runs things so tight-lipped about internal matters.

I'm not saying he absolutely deserved to be cut, or that he didn't. Just that what information is made public to us, could be about 10% of the whole issue ; or

a very low amount compared to what is kept internal.

GREAT POST! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dav87sc said:

I am not disagreeing with the position of benching/fining/de-activating him for the last game and then trying to trade him in the off-season.  That would have been the way to get some return on his departure.

However, I also see that intrinsic value to the team that you don't let this happen repeatedly without the hammer dropping.  Argue that it should have happened 3 times earlier and I will agree.

 

But the whole narrative that was running about this being his way to get out of here now to get to a contender is/was ridiculous.  Maybe people were just jumping to the best case scenario for DJ, as a way to be even more enraged as to an inflated sense of value in him, but come-on man!

I think the hammer is to trade him. You show the players that you won’t tolerate this sort of behavior and you help yourself by getting something in return. 

 

It is what it is. It’s over, he has been claimed by his previous team. Just sucks we could get something for him.  I thjnk it pisses me even more off because we always lose players for nothing. This is right after losing Kirk for nothing. When we do trade we are usually getting out-smarted.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 11:51 AM, Rogue Jedi said:

This organization is run by a bunch of clowns. DJ called them out, and got the axe. It was expected, but I'm sure he won't have trouble finding a better organization.

This right here! It didn't take DJ bringing this to our attention either, when a team like NY can come in and put up 40 points on you in a half. He will be much better off where ever he goes, at least he won't have to chase and cover receivers for a full 6-8 seconds, because his defensive coach doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body and plays scared even against a damn back up QB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

the team screwed up by not addressing him complaining publicly sooner.  Or if they did, suspend him first vs cut him.  Rest assured whoever we have in here next year, will not be as good as him. 

Exactly Randy, a suspension is all that was needed. Our entire secondary would be a huge step better if they didn't have to cover receivers for up to 6 seconds, but it also shows the piss poor management this team has as well, and Bruce Allen needs to be the one released. This team will not hit the playoffs again until he is, I would bank on it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I mentioned I got a Alex Smith Jersey for Christmas... At the time the decision was made I was really split between 36 and Smith...I REALLY REALLY LOVE the way DJ has played for us..he for certain was my next jersey...buuuut I don't have a quarterback jersey and I really like Alex Smith even before he came to the skins... Nothing really to do with the way he plays but more of because of the kind of person he is...glad I stuck with 11..now if wildbunny will just send me the crutches that should go with the Jersey..lol hahahah

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

We're supposed to bow down to all you know, and within minutes you're proven wrong. Amazing how that happens, no?

There's no need for assumptions, We could have waited to find out if he was worth anything in a trade. It wouldn't have cost us anything to do so. This is all I see people arguing here, to find out. I don't know if he would have fetched anything, I don't pretend to know. You're the only one who claims to know, and think it entitles you to mock anyone who doesn't agree with your certainty. And without the certainty you assert, you have no argument, because the other argument was simply to wait and find out.

 

If anyone is arguing Swearinger should not have been disciplined, or is terribly upset that the team didn't commit to him for next year, then find them, quote them and respond to them. Rather than painting people with this broad brush that applies to almost no one.

 

So, let's see:

- You're using a Straw Man about people being upset about the team issuing discipline.

- In the midst of claiming there was no way Swearinger could have had any trade value as a malcontent, you bring up the completely contradictory example of malcontent Jamie Collins being traded for a 3rd round draft pick.

- You completely misrepresented the terms of that trade. 

- You claim that only a desperation playoff team would pick him up, when instead it was a team that knows him that picked him up for next year before anyone else could.

- You've topped it off with tons of condescension and hinted that people who have a problem with the situation should 'follow Swearinger out'.

 

Yeah, you're not worth any more of my time. 

While i still hold to my opinion of his value, the rest of it you are right.

Not my best day or my best efforts at being nice.

My apologies to you and the thread, and Merry Christmas.

 

~Bang

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burgold said:

The irony is if Jay did run a tight ship (put a boot up with his butt) there's a good chance that DJ never makes a peep to the media. There'd be no need.

 

One thing which makes me think Swearinger's complaint holds water is that I remember the Alabama boys saying that college practices were much harder. We've heard other pros say the same thing about Jay's camps. Then, we get to the preseason games and Jay tries his best to never give his vets any snaps at all which winds up meaning that it takes us about three regular season games until we round into game speed. More, I can't shake the suspicion that these hyper-soft practices, etc. contribute to all our injury woes. Jay is just too nice to his guys. He doesn't want anyone to work up a sweat.

 

That still doesn't make it right for DJ to mouth off to the media, but it does help us to understand his frustration, especially when after 5 years of really laid back practices, Jay hasn't changed it up. At some point, embarrassing the boss even at your cost is the best way to be loyal to the organization.

 

Again, I would have suspended DJ for the last game as a penalty and if you decided the repeated insubordination warranted termination or trade I'd address it after the season.

 

I do feel like some of his easy camps are because his teams are always some of the most injured in the league and it's counter intuitive to respond to people  who are hurt to do stuff that risks more injury.  Seriously, what about hard practices make you less likely to get hurt?

 

oh, and seeing some other comment asking I'd just like to say I am against the team issuing any discipline for him for this, AND if you ask around you'll find I'm probably one of the biggest homers this board has

 

All discipling Swearinger has done is cost us a good player and shown how many other players are discontented.  Swearinger wouldn't have gotten all the love he got yesterday if the players didn't support him over the team

Edited by carex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Swearinger gets to crow. He doesn’t even lose a game check. 

 

 

 

 

 

He would have gotten it regardless I think since he’s a vested vet and was on the roster week one.  That makes his salary for the season guaranteed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dyst said:

I think the hammer is to trade him. You show the players that you won’t tolerate this sort of behavior and you help yourself by getting something in return. 

 

It is what it is. It’s over, he has been claimed by his previous team. Just sucks we could get something for him.  I thjnk it pisses me even more off because we always lose players for nothing. This is right after losing Kirk for nothing. When we do trade we are usually getting out-smarted.

I understand and agree about trading him in the off-season and the seeming propensity of the team to get as little return as the can for assets.

I guess I just don't see this as any more of a "sky is falling" or "last straw of my fandom" happening that seems to be going around - not directed at you.

 

The deep rooted fan in me wants to hold onto something that is redeeming about this FO, and I would love to be able to truly believe there was a plan in place for the off-season to move him out in a trade, but going full blast in the media forced an immediate response.  But then again, part of me holds on to the belief in Santa Claus. :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.