Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Well the next government shutdown starts in two days, so maybe waiving the three day waiting period makes some sense.  

You think you are sooo smart to notice something I didnt, dont you? 

Edit: AND it makes sense. **** you. Lol

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Well the next government shutdown starts in two days, so maybe waiving the three day waiting period makes some sense.  

Well since they all knew when the next shutdown started and the three day limit, they should have already had something together.  One, this shows the incompetence of our leaders.  Two, it makes me wonder what they slid in there that they don't want people to have time to notice and voice displeasure about.

Our government can't seem to do anything without a bit of shadyness. Big surprise.

• Like 2

@TheGreatBuzz
I ageee it is so dumb Congress doesn't get their jobs done in a timely manner, and the truth is that seems like they have to set up these artificial battles and deadlines.

But... this has all been set up by the President pushing for his wall funding.

I imagine that 95% (or more) of the bill was already drafted and agreed to. They are just cutting and pasting the agreement numbers into the Senate and House bills that have been out there for the past 2 months.

But, process is always open to shenanigans....

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well since they all knew when the next shutdown started and the three day limit, they should have already had something together.  One, this shows the incompetence of our leaders.  Two, it makes me wonder what they slid in there that they don't want people to have time to notice and voice displeasure about.

Our government can't seem to do anything without a bit of shadyness. Big surprise.

They also knew they could just waive the 3 day limit, which has only been a thing for a month.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

They also knew they could just waive the 3 day limit, which has only been a thing for a month.  

The 3-day limit has only been a thing for a month or them waiving it has?  

I don't know the history or anything behind it but the 3-day limit is a great idea I think.  I'd honestly like it to be longer.  Give people time to review the proposed legislation and make their feelings known about it.

29 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The 3-day limit has only been a thing for a month or them waiving it has?  

I don't know the history or anything behind it but the 3-day limit is a great idea I think.  I'd honestly like it to be longer.  Give people time to review the proposed legislation and make their feelings known about it.

My understanding is the 72-hour reading period is new.  It was implemented along with the rest of the House rules Democrats installed for the 116th Congress.

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/2/18165057/house-democrats-rules-package-pelosi

Democrats are also essentially trying to make the process of legislating more democratic. For instance, if a bill has 290 co-sponsors, it will automatically be up for consideration in committee and have a path to the House floor.

“This really came out of, we kept getting measures where we knew we would have enough votes to get to the House floor for debate and a vote, but you couldn’t get these things like immigration reform, in particular, actually to the floor,” Rep. Josh Gottheimer (D-NJ) told me. “We all started saying, ‘This is absurd.’”

Members of Congress will also have 72 hours to read major pieces of legislation before they go to the floor for a vote (a direct counter to Republicans jamming through the tax bill and other massive bills just hours after the final version was introduced).

• Like 1

Ok having Serius I get to listen to the Patriot and Progressive stations. Both had programs and call-ins complaining congress selling out in this deal.  Patriot obviously claiming McConnell/the Senate betraying Trump and Progressive claiming Schumer and company gave into blackmail. 😵

The tax scam passed without a thorough reading. Republicans just pushed it through. 

I do agree that the negotiations have been ongoing for months and the bill in chief has been agreed to except for a few things. Remember, McConnell has been stalling calling the bill up for months.

Just now, visionary said:

Trump's still stiffing contractors I see.

• Like 1

I'd be curious as to what language is included in the majority of federal contractor's contracts. Is their explicit language about being forced to not work due to a shutdown? Or is this an employer illegally locking the door and keeping contracted employees from working?

I'd suspect there is some language regarding government shutdown...but without being privy to it, who knows. Personally, I think both contractors and federal employees should be paid for their time that they were kept from working. Through no fault of their own they were victimized by pettiness.

Edited by The Evil Genius

14 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Do you believe that should apply to the federal workers who didn't work either?

I mean, yes. You take a job knowing the risks of taking that job. If you weren’t working you shouldn’t get paid. If you have vacation days or sick days and want to apple those days to the shut down then that’s OK as well.

If they had of announced they were getting paid, that would be fine. But not getting paid for not doing work is also fine with me.

22 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Small businesses very hurt financially by the shutdown. I have already heard from some friends who've been dropped from their employers.

13 of my coworkers, like...the people I sit next to every day, did not work for 35 days and will not be reimbursed like the feds have been.  I was fortunate to be one of three contractors that was mission essential and allowed to continue working through the shutdown.  

So much news coverage about the 800,000 employees last month who saw their pay delayed by over a month, waiting in line at food banks, etc...which definitely sucks.  But I didn't see nearly as much media coverage about the 1.5 million federal contractors who were ****ed and won't be reimbursed.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

They should pass the legislation both sides proposed to end the possibility of future shutdowns. If congress fails to pass a budget, continue at current spending rates. Screwing the government workers, contractors, and taxpayers as a method to try to gain leverage (which has been ineffective) is stupid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2