Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The official clean house thread.. lay out your plan for the future here

crabbypatty

On 12/4/2018 at 11:09 AM, bakedtater1 said:

Any one worthy of being a gm here will not want to... Give me a list of 10 excellent GM's that could be a GM here and I guarantee you seven of the 10 would say hell no to working for Snyder... Personally I think we're absolutely ****ed as long as Snyder is in the picture.

Kevin Rogers, director of pro personnel for the Colts. Brilliant, despite preferring Ragnow to Daniels. He’s the guy. 

On 12/4/2018 at 3:31 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

Of course, by the same logic, if constantly fighting towards the middle was all you needed than Washington, Cincinnati, Dallas and Miami would have elevated themselves to Super Bowl status a long time ago. All those lists prove is that you have to have a level of competence in your FO for your team to succeed. 

And the teams on your list seem to have brighter futures than the teams on mine. A lot brighter, depending on how you feel about those young QBs. 

The purpose of getting those picks is to have, as much as possible, of the one commodity almost every team will over pay for. Ideally you would keep moving your number 1s unless you have the rare talent available. 

Take the 2019 #1 & trade it for a 2019 #1 & a 2020 #1, & a late pick or a payer.

Take your new 2019 #1 & trade it for a 2020 #1 & a 2021 #1. 

You can easily turn a top 12 #1 into 2 additional 1s in 2020, an additional 1 in 2021, +.

Just by acknowledging that we aren’t ready now & letting desperate/delusional GMs get their dopamine high - by moving up - we can easily, & quietly, give ourselves 5 #1s in the following 2 years. 

With the assets in those drafts we can do the same, loading up for the Trevor Lawrence draft, while getting worse ourselves, which actually, & obviously, increases the value of our draft assets.

We keep trading back a draft class which will ensure we Always have the firsts for any player we want to trade for. We can ensure we always have 2 firsts, just trade back, we use one for the bpa & the other to pick up late picks & a first in the following draft. It’s really simple, it is what we should be doing. We acquire assets, they just happen to be picks, & teams don’t handle them rationally, which we really should be taking advantage of. Nothing better than a desperate GM, outbidding another desperate GM, each willing to overpay us, to get the guy, who will save his job. 

Look at what Freddie Kitchens is doing with Baker Mayfield in Cleveland, the moment he was given the offensive reigns post-Hue and Haley. Read into his life story a bit. 

If the Browns don't stick with Gregg Williams, and Kitchens gets lost in the transition to a new HC who wants "his guys" (which would be a massive mistake given the steps Mayfield is taking in the offense, but just as a hypothetical)....we need to look at this guy. 

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

The purpose of getting those picks is to have, as much as possible, of the one commodity almost every team will over pay for. Ideally you would keep moving your number 1s unless you have the rare talent available. 

Take the 2019 #1 & trade it for a 2019 #1 & a 2020 #1, & a late pick or a payer.

Take your new 2019 #1 & trade it for a 2020 #1 & a 2021 #1. 

You can easily turn a top 12 #1 into 2 additional 1s in 2020, an additional 1 in 2021, +.

Just by acknowledging that we aren’t ready now & letting desperate/delusional GMs get their dopamine high - by moving up - we can easily, & quietly, give ourselves 5 #1s in the following 2 years. 

With the assets in those drafts we can do the same, loading up for the Trevor Lawrence draft, while getting worse ourselves, which actually, & obviously, increases the value of our draft assets.

We keep trading back a draft class which will ensure we Always have the firsts for any player we want to trade for. We can ensure we always have 2 firsts, just trade back, we use one for the bpa & the other to pick up late picks & a first in the following draft. It’s really simple, it is what we should be doing. We acquire assets, they just happen to be picks, & teams don’t handle them rationally, which we really should be taking advantage of. Nothing better than a desperate GM, outbidding another desperate GM, each willing to overpay us, to get the guy, who will save his job. 

Bill Belichick, whom I hate, is the best Coach of his era, and by a fair margin. As a GM (and, titles aside, he is really the GM there and has been throughout) he's overrated. But the thing that has allowed him to overcome the slightly above mediocre drafting and sometimes wrongheaded vet acquisitions, is the organizational moneyball-style philosophy. They consistently trade current picks for future picks, meaning they were just constantly creating extra value. A late 3rd for a future 2nd that might be a lot higher in the round, etc. They just kept doing it, which means they always seemed to have more draft capital than many of the teams drafting ahead of them. That, combined with the occasional trade of a vet for picks, allowed them to miss on a lot of picks and still be able to add as much new talent as anyone.

On a rebuilding team it makes even more sense to adopt such an attitude. Why turn down extra value in the future if you're not going to win anything now? Especially if, as you said, we're trying to add resources for a potential franchise QB.

23 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

We will get a comp pick in the 6th for haha... possibly a 4th for preston if he walks.

I'm cool with letting both go, I think HaHa's value is totally shot right now though and we could get him cheap. It's safe to say its possible hes unsure about our ****ty defensive playcalling and could still be a good player hopefully. 

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Hes not a good player, 3.5 sacks on the season in a contract year. Ryan Anderson will do fine and could get 3.5 sacks just based off the effort he gives. 

What about all the other stuff..he has single handedly won us multiple games(ya know what I mean right?).. no way to Preston going..?.I'd rather see Kerrigan go to be honest with ya..

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

Far from easy, because it is totally dependant upon the situation.  Most teams would prefer to be on the trading back side of that scenario and stockpiling assets.  But some teams will take the plunge to move up, but it is almost always for a QB or pass rusher.  There is no Watson or mahomes in this draft.  Maybe a team jumps up to grab a sweat or polite, but a lot depends on it.  Will those players still be there when it's our turn to pick?  Does the other team believe they are about to come off the board at any moment and the trade needs to happen when we pick, or can they wait it out?  Do the other teams value that particular prospect that much to make it worth it?  Does the team make the deal with us or one of the teams picking near us?  I think a lot of GM's go into the draft praying for an opportunity to turn a first into two firsts, but the situation doesn't present itself.

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

On a rebuilding team it makes even more sense to adopt such an attitude. Why turn down extra value in the future if you're not going to win anything now? Especially if, as you said, we're trying to add resources for a potential franchise QB.

100%.  I just said something similar in other thread, referencing trading seymour and milloy because it was in their best long term interests.  The Redskins have always been about the short term via splash hirings and signings as more of a marketing strategy than a football one.

I live in New England, and the off-seasons are very quiet.  A lot of continuity, not many big money signings, and they are always drafting at the end of the first round.  And when belichick makes a bold move by trading one of their beloved players, the fans don't stress about it, bc they have seen the long term results.  In bill they trust.  Must be nice.

You know how we run a mix of zone and power or man?  How much harder is it for olinemen off the streets to pick up this offense because of it?  I don’t doubt Callahan’s teaching ability, but is it just too much?  And how much harder is it to find guys that can block both schemes?  I’m not basing this off Gruden’s suggestion they might rotate their guards, but that did help cement this as a possible shortcoming of the offense.  

1 hour ago, carex said:

so, how much faith do the fans here have in Snyder's ability to select a new GM?   I ask because a lot of these ideas are turning a middling team into a 0-16 to 3-13 team and they may end up stuck there

Actually i think it lines up well for us because our future GM is likely already in the building.  We luck boxed our way into 2 very good front office people in Schaeffer and Smith, so Dan's already had them in the office for a while.  I think a name we may also hear pop up is McKenzie from Oakland because his brother Raleigh played here.  The sad thing is that Oakland actually had a somewhat talented team as recently as a year ago, just couldn't put it together so now they're blowing it up.  Could you imagine how this fanbase would react if we had Carr, Cooper, and Mack? 

13 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

What about all the other stuff..he has single handedly won us multiple games(ya know what I mean right?).. no way to Preston going..?.I'd rather see Kerrigan go to be honest with ya..

How much are you paying to a rush LB that cant get to the QB though?  The price would have to be right.  Like, REALLY right.  If he didnt get his price on the market and came back at a reasonable price tag, then fine.  

He's really only acceptable because the rest of the front gets pressure.  Allen, Ioannidis, Payne, and Kerrigan have 26.5 sacks.  Smith chips in a paltry 3.5.  He's doesnt even force fumbles or things like that.

Archived