Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

1 hour ago, ashlynskins said:

I just watched a clip on NFL.com saying that Tannehill and Flacco could be 2 possibilities for the Skins..... at this point of the season I think all these ppl just report things and ideas for the sake of staying busy.....last I checked Zac Taylor was going to be the new HC for the Bengals....really know nothing bout the guy but he was a QB at Nebraska but when did he cross paths with Tannehill?

Taylor was a grad assistant at A&M when Tannehill was there and then he was Tannehill’s QB coach at Miami.  

The Dalton scenario, how would that work against the cap?  Dalton’s set to count $16.5 mil against the Bengals cap next year.  Smith counts $20.4 mil and McCoy $3.5 mil.  So if they traded for Dalton and keep McCoy would the Skins have $40 mil in cap space going to QBs?  

3 hours ago, carex said:

If Gruden were really done and just functioning as a lame duck would they let him pick a QB that the next coach might not like?

Sure they would.  It’s wise to never assume the Skins FO has an actual plan that goes further than one season.  They probably truly believe in what they are doing and don’t see Gruden as a lame duck yet.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sure they would.  It’s wise to never assume the Skins FO has an actual plan that goes further than one season.  They probably truly believe in what they are doing and don’t see Gruden as a lame duck yet.

Let it be noted that O'Connell was down in Mobile with Allen and Kyle Smith checking out the QBs in the draft while Gruden was back in Ashburn supposedly interviewing assistant coaches.  Ken Zampese interviewed for the QB coaching position.  Tells me Cavanaugh is out and O' Connell is going to be promoted to OC.  To me, O' Connell is going to have input into the next QB and I think one is taken early 1st or 2nd pick this.  I'm thinking #15 overall or a move up in the draft.  Just speculation on my part.

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Well wouldn't Jay be happy...

I don't think we put ourselves into a position like we have now with Smith.  I think we draft a QB at #15 or possible a little higher.

40 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Let it be noted that O'Connell was down in Mobile with Allen and Kyle Smith checking out the QBs in the draft while Gruden was back in Ashburn supposedly interviewing assistant coaches.  Ken Zampese interviewed for the QB coaching position.  Tells me Cavanaugh is out and O' Connell is going to be promoted to OC.  To me, O' Connell is going to have input into the next QB and I think one is taken early 1st or 2nd pick this.  I'm thinking #15 overall or a move up in the draft.  Just speculation on my part.

Wonder if we put a clause in his contract saying he's the next coach? 

I could see the Dalton thing making some sense to this FO but man...that's a ton of money we'd have stuck in the QB position. And we'd have to trade for him meaning we'd ALSO probably have to give up a player and/or a draft pick. Dalton is just another mediocre game manager QB. I'd rather roll with McCoy and draft a rookie this year or next (or both if it's a mid rounder this year and then a top tier one next).

9 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Agree. In Dannyland every season seems to be SB or bust, rebuild isn't part of his vocabulary. 

In their minds at Redskins Park, I bet they think they are winning the division and all this doom and gloom is nonsense.

Will this be a repeat of 2009, when Vinny acted shocked about how the season went south because he "gave Zorn a playoff roster".  😁 My gut is yes. I think Jay for sure will be a goner. Bruce likely gone too unless the stadium saves him.

Going to be Colt McCoy.

Rookie back-up.

Maybe a garbage journey-man vet as third stringer. I know Jay don't normally carry 3 qbs, but 2018 may change his mind.

Alex may be lucky to go through life walking without a cane let alone come back to the field. If he does we all know it will be 2020 at the earliest.

1 hour ago, MEANDWARF said:

Going to be Colt McCoy.

Rookie back-up.

Maybe a garbage journey-man vet as third stringer. I know Jay don't normally carry 3 qbs, but 2018 may change his mind.

Alex may be lucky to go through life walking without a cane let alone come back to the field. If he does we all know it will be 2020 at the earliest.

This.

Unless we get Dalton in a trade. Jay would probably like that. Dalton is basically Cousins with a better sense of humor/less phony personality. He'll get you to 500 and put up nice stats. The Redskins way.

I don't know what his cap hit is. Or what it would take to get him in a trade if the Bengals decide to move on from him. If it's way too much money and will cost us a nice young player, look for Bruce to pull the trigger.

Yeah, if we're insistent on remaining as mediocre as possible I'd say Dalton would be a good fit. That definitely seems to be our M.O. 

Dalton is basically an Alex Smith who's a bit less accurate, throws for a bit more TDs, but also throws more INTs as well. He also has a history of putting up good stats in the regular season but then folding in important situations and/or in the playoffs.

If he were a FA...MAYBE I'd consider it for a reasonable price but he certainly isn't worth giving up picks/players for. He'll have a $16.2 million cap hit this year based on what I've found on his contract unless we renegotiated it down with a new deal. This season we'll already have $20.4 million locked up in Smith and Colt's $3.5 million isn't huge but it's nothing to sneeze at. That would be over $40 million we'd have invested in the QB position in 2019...and none of it on a top notch QB.

Pass.

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, if we're insistent on remaining as mediocre as possible I'd say Dalton would be a good fit. That definitely seems to be our M.O. 

Dalton is basically an Alex Smith who's a bit less accurate, throws for a bit more TDs, but also throws more INTs as well. He also has a history of putting up good stats in the regular season but then folding in important situations and/or in the playoffs.

If he were a FA...MAYBE I'd consider it for a reasonable price but he certainly isn't worth giving up picks/players for. He'll have a $16.2 million cap hit this year based on what I've found on his contract unless we renegotiated it down with a new deal. This season we'll already have $20.4 million locked up in Smith and Colt's $3.5 million isn't huge but it's nothing to sneeze at. That would be over $40 million we'd have invested in the QB position in 2019...and none of it on a top notch QB.

Pass.

I would rather pay off all of Smith's contract remaining 40m after our 12m insurance cover, in 2019 and go with Freeman at vet minimum. Then clean slate for 2020. 

HTTR 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah if the goal seems to be 7-9 to 9-7 forever which sounds like how Bruce sees the world after listening to his last press conference -- where to him 9-7 is like the SB then hey go get Dalton and celebrate mediocrity and maybe if we are lucky we can sneak in with a wild card spot every now and then and got crushed in the first round.

The way Bruce seems to see the landscape -- wouldn't shock me if they put some new banners at Fedex next season including one for the 6-3 start last year, the 9-7 2015 season, etc.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38111/robert-griffin-iii-trade-provides-lessons-redskins-must-heed-in-2019

The Redskins can’t afford to make that sort of move again. Because of their cap situation, their best way to improve the next few years is through the draft. They should have nine picks this spring -- starting with the 15th overall -- once the compensatory selections are announced. They do have some flexibility with extra picks, so if they wanted to move up a few spots, they could. It’s just not a likely scenario at this point. They will draft a quarterback at some point; they just can’t force it, nor can they be as aggressive as they were in 2012.

It helps Washington that there’s no consensus on the quarterbacks in this class. That would limit the cost of moving to a certain draft spot, especially if a player they like gets past the seventh pick, which belongs to the QB-needy Jacksonville Jaguars. But that leads to another question: Are any of these quarterbacks worth giving up that much capital to select? If the Redskins wanted, say, Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins, they might need to move ahead of the New York Giants, who draft sixth.

Last year, the Buffalo Bills traded the 12th pick plus two second-round choices to move up five spots for quarterback Josh Allen. Arizona traded the 15th pick plus third- and fifth-round choices to the Oakland Raiders for the 10th overall pick, where the Cardinals took Josh Rosen. In 2017, Kansas City traded a third-round pick plus a future first-round selection to move from No. 27 to No. 10, where the Chiefs took Patrick Mahomes.

Perhaps the Redskins would be wiser to secure more draft capital in 2020, when the quarterback class is expected to be stronger, giving them more ammunition to move up regardless of their 2019 record.

But it’s really hard to imagine the Redskins being that aggressive this spring. This isn't the time.

A lot of big if's in this theory but with Kevin O'Connell getting promoted (McVay 2.0 as some have suggested) I would vote to draft Kyler Murray and sign Tyrod Taylor.  The skins should then mirror the browns from last year.  Start Tyrod until Kyler is ready.  It worked for the browns... 

I think Colt would beat out Dalton in a preseason competition in this offense, just roll with the noodle, find another cheap vet to back him him for when he gets hurt and if someone is there in the draft then take them, if not wait until next year.

As long as we don't dedicate any real money long term to one of these retread QB's like Tannehill or Dalton then I'm fine with whatever.

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

Since AZ seems to be smitten with Haskins, maybe skins can trade 2nd round pick for Rosen? would that be worth it?

No way that this is real.  AZ is leaking this to make other teams think they want Haskins for a potential trade of draft picks, IMO.

https://nflupdate.co/report-dolphins-owner-stephen-ross-loves-tua-tagovailoa-getting-high-2020-draft-pick-is-a-priority/

Report: Dolphins Owner Stephen Ross Loves Tua Tagovailoa, Getting High 2020 Draft Pick Is A Priority

The Dolphins are likely headed towards a developmental season in 2019. This offseason won’t have many, if any, flashy signings. It’s all about the future.

According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, owner Stephen Ross really, really likes Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa and getting a high 2020 draft pick is a priority. The Dolphins also like Oregon’s Justin Herbert.

If Miami doesn’t emerge from the 2020 draft with either of those QBs, it will be considered a disappointment.

The goal entering the 2019 offseason is to begin to rebuild the offensive line and defensive front seven with young, developmental players who haven’t reached their prime.

Miami doesn’t intend to spend big money in free agency because that would enhance the chances of winning next season and thus reduce the chances of a top draft pick. So don’t expect any interest in QB Nick Foles or RB Le’Veon Bell.

The thinking now is a team of young developmental veterans, players on their first or second contracts, and some returning veterans mixed in. 

The Dolphins are set to officially hire Patriots LB coach/DC Brian Flores as their HC after the Super Bowl. According to an ESPN report earlier this month, HC candidates were told to be patient with the teams rebuilding if they were to get the job.

While they aren’t officially calling it tanking, the #TankForTua hashtag could become a thing in 2019.

My best friend the dolphins fan was telling me that his wife was getting all excited looking at the schedule in 2019 getting excited wanting to make plans to go to Dallas cuz she has family there whatever so each time the dolphins go to Dallas they travel to Dallas to watch it and he laughed at her and said no way I'm not shelling out that money to go see them get their arses kicked lol... STILL he says we're in a better position than him... After reading the above article I laugh harder at him...I never ever EVER EVER would back up a "tank the season" for better future draft pick I always want to see the Redskins win, always...but reading the article above sounds appropriate to become a better team..

Archived