Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Beginning - Embrace The Noodle

JSSkinz

1 minute ago, TheShredder said:

What...ok wasn't Thanksgiving but the week before on Oct 27th week 8 2014 and it was Colt McCoys first start as a Redskin (and his first as a starter since 2011).

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014102700/2014/REG8/redskins@cowboys

Week 8 isn’t 1 week before week week 13 (the week that thanksgiving fell on that season). But other than that yes that information is now correct :P 

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Week 8 isn’t 1 week before week week 13 (the week that thanksgiving fell on that season). But other than that yes that information is now correct :P 

yeah I was going for the fact he beat Dallas the first time he started for the Skins.  It was MNF.  The video was posted originally in Nov so I fired for affect!  😂

I'm absolutely fine rolling with Colt for the remainder of the season. I don't feel at all comfortable with Sanchez as a backup, though I do understand the "familiarity" logic that's been mentioned in the articles. This terrible injury is a reminder of why you should carry 3 QBs. Injuries can happen at any time, on any tackle, but the odds and risks are increased when you have a shaky offensive line. We have three starting caliber linemen (Trent, Scherff, Roullier), and one RT who is quality depth but is a starter because we don't have anyone better at the position. We can't afford to carry only two QBs. Carry three next season!

9 minutes ago, Hooterman said:

Colt takes us to the paloffs and we lose in the first round.  You heard it here first!  

And the joy of thinking we are only one play away from Mark Sanchez handing off to Adrian Peterson.  Who would have thunk that back in August?  

Eagles won the Super Bowl with a medium range backup who slung the ball around.  No reason why that wouldn't work again since it was last year.  Anything is possible unless it comes down to the dirty sanchez! 

I’m intrigued to see McCoy getting a chance, but I’m bummed it’s behind this oline.  Not trying to knock them, they played their hearts out and performed better than I expected against a really strong front.  It’s just not the same without our pro bowlers.  Can’t wait to get Trent back.  

BTW, I loved seeing Watt huffing and puffing as we moved the ball on them.  

I can’t speak for Colt’s arm (or ‘cannon’), but I will say that over the years here I’ve noticed his arms look a lot thicker than earlier in his career.  Not that I’m saying it’s a direct correlation, but I’d assume added strength can only help in that department.  

More turnovers (presumably) vs a better chance of scoring off takeaways... yeah, ‘intriguing’ fits, IMO.  I don’t expect fireworks, but returning Trent and Thompson, Quinn in the lineup, and potentially more/better use of Reed and Doctson... I’m (almost strangely) excited.  

27 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I can’t speak for Colt’s arm (or ‘cannon’), but I will say that over the years here I’ve noticed his arms look a lot thicker than earlier in his career.  Not that I’m saying it’s a direct correlation, but I’d assume added strength can only help in that department.  

About a year or two back, he put on around 10-15 lbs of muscle & showed up to camp jacked. 

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

Based on Nathan Peterman starting in the NFL. 

Yeah, and now he’s out of the league

6 hours ago, justice98 said:

In fairness to Colt, the last time he was a starter, his "weapons" were Peyton Hillis and his top WRs were Mohammed Massoquoi and Greg Little.  

And even with that, he's positive TDs to INTs.  

His floor just needs to be .500 ball.

I was talking about Kap... I believe Colt can do what we need him to do this season. 

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Wise move! 

Excuse me?  I had posted a comment making a correction about Colt's Cowboy game being played on Thanksgiving, but saw after I posted that someone had beaten me to it.  It was a courtesy.  You need to stop your assumptions.  That would be a wise move.

1 hour ago, TK said:

About a year or two back, he put on around 10-15 lbs of muscle & showed up to camp jacked. 

All he needs now is some tassels tied around his upper arm and he can be the Ultimate Warrior, I mean Ultimate Back-up.

I think he surprises many, but behind this line, Gruden better KEEP him in shotgun formation the entire game, or he may be next to Smith.

3 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

All he needs now is some tassels tied around his upper arm and he can be the Ultimate Warrior, I mean Ultimate Back-up.

I think he surprises many, but behind this line, Gruden better KEEP him in shotgun formation the entire game, or he may be next to Smith.

I loved me some Ultimate Warrior back in the day!!!  

Here's some legitimate praise from a veteran player who would truly know about McCoy's talent, and wouldn't exaggerate as some might think coach Gruden would do, just to hype confidence in his QB

usatoday : Redskins have reason to believe backup QB Colt McCoy can keep season afloat

“From going against Colt time and time again on scout team, I know he’s a NFL-starter-caliber quarterback,” former Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall told USA TODAY Sports. “He’s comfortable in his own skin and comfortable in the offense. He’s decisive as a passer. He’ll run when he has to, but he’ll also sit back there in that pocket and give guys a shot to make plays downfield. He can make some great anticipation throws.

]https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/mike-jones/2018/11/19/washington-redskins-colt-mccoy-alex-smith-injury/2060919002/

1 hour ago, Taylor 36 said:

Excuse me?  I had posted a comment making a correction about Colt's Cowboy game being played on Thanksgiving, but saw after I posted that someone had beaten me to it.  It was a courtesy.  You need to stop your assumptions.  That would be a wise move.

Totally in jest. Sorry for any confusion. 

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been hearing for years from beat guys in radio interviews how much Jay believes in Colt.  Should be interesting on that front.  Finlay even once suggested that Jay would have been more than cool with riding with Colt in 2018 when it looked like the QB predecessor wasn't coming back,  If so clearly people in the FO didn't agree with him.  So it should be an interesting showcase for Jay.

Honestly? I don’t think this is all that noteworthy like the way they report it. It actually makes the most sense. 

Most of us who didn’t like the trade and extension for Alex would’ve favored rolling with Colt for a year while we let a draft pick develop. Imagine the resources we could’ve used on personnel acquisition with the 3rd rounder and cap space saved. AND we keep Fuller. Jay specifically said, after the Alex trade, that he would’ve been fine with drafting a guy, too, so I believe  that’s the route he preferred deep down (play Colt, develop a draft pick, use resources elsewhere). 

Jay always talks up the unsung “do anything asked of me” guys. I think people, including those on the beat, overplay that angle and take it too literally, but that’s natural. He’s usually even keel with praising players, so when he lavishes one of those types with praise people just assume he actually thinks they’re the greatest players on the team, lol. 

But, yeah, you can see Colt legitimately knows how to operate this offense and there’s going to be more explosive plays because of it. He’s just limited in terms of skill set AND injury prone, so you’d rather not rely on him.

But here we are. Will be interesting to say the least. I really hope he stays healthy. 

Alex is built stronger, so he’s able to absorb hits better. Colt will absolutely fumble more if he takes the same amount of hits. But he’ll also get rid of the ball much faster more often. 

I think that’s what it’ll come down to. Colt will actually be a significant improvement if he avoids getting hit more than Alex. If not, the trade off might be fairly even (more negative plays/disasters, but more explosive plays to go with it). Worst case is he surprises us by looking uncomfortable in the offense like Alex did, and then constantly gets hit behind an injured Oline which is something he can’t handle as well as Alex, God forbid. 

On 11/18/2018 at 9:33 PM, Springfield said:

He was actually visible with McCoy out there.  It’s wonders what a QB who throws to players other than tight ends will do.

Our expectations are so low w/ Doc. He has 4 catches for 40 yards and that's a career day for him. And although I do think he will have a bit more production w/ Colt in there, he is still a bust. I have yet to see him shake a defender. Everytime he has a ball thrown to him the defender is all over him. He can not run away from a turtle. 

1 hour ago, Alexa said:

Our expectations are so low w/ Doc. He has 4 catches for 40 yards and that's a career day for him. And although I do think he will have a bit more production w/ Colt in there, he is still a bust. I have yet to see him shake a defender. Everytime he has a ball thrown to him the defender is all over him. He can not run away from a turtle. 

Does he need to learn how much "pushing off a defender" he can get away with ?

6 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

=

Most of us who didn’t like the trade and extension for Alex would’ve favored rolling with Colt for a year while we let a draft pick develop. Imagine the resources we could’ve used on personnel acquisition with the 3rd rounder and cap space saved. AND we keep Fuller. Jay specifically said, after the Alex trade, that he would’ve been fine with drafting a guy, too, so I believe  that’s the route he preferred deep down (play Colt, develop a draft pick, use resources elsewhere). 

I get the strong impression that Jay was more than OK with riding with Colt this year but clearly some in the FO disagreed with him so he was over-ruled.  If you notice Jay said twice yesterday that this is a chance of a lifetime for Colt.   Bunch of beat guys have said Colt tells everyone who will listen that he can run this offense and feels snake bitten that he got hurt in the NY Giants game in 2014 and that cost him a career,

So in an odd way if Colt outperforms Alex its vindication for Jay.  Not saying that Jay wasn't ultimately sold on Alex once he was acquired.  But plenty of indications (with Finlay outright saying it) that if the predecessor left, Jay wanted Colt to be the guy his injury history notwithstanding.

But this FO, same one who gave up multiple high picks for another 34 year old in McNabb,  Same one who gave a kings ransom for RG3 and let him dictate Redskins Park for two years.  Gave up a plck and a young player and gave a 34 year old coming off a potential aberration career year where he had elite weapons, 3.5 years essentially of fully guaranteed money after refusing to offer the prior one more than 2 years guaranteed in an offer.   

Now they might have to eat their cap while that QB recovers and might not even play next season -- and might be outplayed by the QB on their roster that their head coach has sworn for years could do it.   They did this also while skipping what Bruce Arians called the deepest QB draft he's seen in 25 years.   Will see if they know better this time and made the right move -- on its surface it looks like it's another QB screw up -- shocking?  😎

The Monday night Dallas game from 2014 is the recipe for success with Colt.  Gruden has already said that they have to take a more conservative approach to this game because if McCoy gets hurt it's the return of butt fumble and the end of our season.  

Colt has been the back-up for awhile now, and has worked with the non-starters, so he should be crisp enough to move the chains.

But, the thing that concerns me is Gruden and how much Colt sticks to his play calling. Will Gruden give him leeway to audible out of plays? Will he be free to attack downfield or will Gruden keep him in the short passing game? And how much will Gruden open the playbook for Colt as well as how much of the playbook does Colt know?

If Colt goes down the season is over; I'm not having any good vibes with the Dirty One having to come in, so Gruden will most likely keep Colt in the low-chance low-reward passing game, similar to Smith. The Cowboys will be coming hard and heavy after Colt, because they know if Colt goes out they will win the game, and that very blitz can give colt the lanes/ hot reads he needs to make some huge plays.

I've wondered at times how many back-up QBs in the league over the years who were not given the time and resources would have turned out to be good starting QBs had they gotten that same culturing. The easy example would be Brady; he was the true diamond in the rough.

Archived