Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Beginning - Embrace The Noodle

JSSkinz

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Two tid bits

Paulsen said he talked to someone in the front office, he was told they are concerned if the injury effects what type of player Alex is moving forward.  Paulsen also had the NY Giants doctor on the radio talk about the injury, his point was depending on where the injury happened (better if it was between the ankle and the knee versus close to the ankle) Alex should come back and likely even in time for next season but cautioned that its the type of injury that can effect a player's speed.

Craig Hoffman was just on saying he talked to someone in the FO who told him, they like that Colt is more decisive than Alex but there is a downside to that, too.

I made a similar analogy last night to my wife ironically when she asked me about him.  Colt seems to have some really good pocket presence and lateral agility -- but it seems like he almost has too much confidence in his pocket presence and ability to scramble that it leads to sacks and fumbles.  His arm isn't as strong as Tony.  Colt can scramble like Tony and is more likely to run.

I've been hearing for years from beat guys in radio interviews how much Jay believes in Colt.  Should be interesting on that front.  Finlay even once suggested that Jay would have been more than cool with riding with Colt in 2018 when it looked like the QB predecessor wasn't coming back,  If so clearly people in the FO didn't agree with him.  So it should be an interesting showcase for Jay.

I agree with all of this, even the Alex stuff. Don’t like the prospects of him getting over a significant leg injury. He was already maniacal about everything football related, wonder what this does to his psyche. No way does he retire (he’s not wired that way), so it’ll be interesting how it all plays out. 

I would’ve supported Colt as the starter, who doesn’t like an underdog. To your point about Jay liking Colt, look no further than Mccoy being employed by Skins for last four years. Jay likes him. Just wish there was more talent around him to decrease the game management required to have a chance each week. If he protects the football, then the floor is no worse than it was with Smith, in my opinion. Floor being playoffs. 

Crazy how Colt will play again on Thanksgiving on Texas in front of family with another chance to prove everyone wrong. 

If Jay can contain himself and stay the course with the run game I think he can minimize those sack fumbles which is my main fear with Colt, he's too small to take big hits.  Those deep drops are not something we can do too often with our weakened O line, I worry Jay can get pass happy now that he has someone who knows how to run the offense properly.

Just now, JSSkinz said:

If Jay can contain himself and stay the course with the run game I think he can minimize those sack fumbles which is my main fear with Colt, he's too small to take big hits.  Those deep drops are not something we can do too often with our weakened O line, I worry Jay can get pass happy now that he has someone who knows how to run the offense properly.

Great point. It appeared the play calling became much more aggressive when Colt entered. The team doesn’t have the talent to do this. 

24 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Great point. It appeared the play calling became much more aggressive when Colt entered. The team doesn’t have the talent to do this. 

Are you sure?  How do you know?  Alex Smith's play was inaccurate and out of sync in the passing game all year.  How much of that was Alex Smith and not the receiver?  I'm not debating whether there has been any of them that consistently took the top of the defense, however, Smith missed almost every open receiver this year on a deep route.  Colt McCoy know's how Reed runs routes.  Proved it again Sunday right off the bat.  He's also been throwing to Mo Harris and Docston for a few years now.  He throws a different ball and as far as I see it, when watching replays, he does not hesitate like Smith does.  He's got better touch and a catchable arc.  When he doesn't hesitate he doesn't have to throw a dart.  I think at this point in the season, still a winning record, as long as they mix up the play calling 60/40 then those 60% passes are going for more yards and scores. 

The cannon line is funny but the idea that he's a new and improved Colt in practice, that's not the first time I've heard that.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/37689/colt-mccoy-sad-for-alex-smith-ready-for-opportunity

“He gets the ball out of his hands immediately,” Reed said. “He knows where he’s going pre-snap based on reading the coverage. He’s got all that arm talent in the world, and now it’s his turn.

“He has a cannon. In practice, some of the throws he makes are unbelievable. And he has the touch. He can make all the throws. In practice this year he’s been making unbelievable throws every day.”

Others might dispute Reed’s description of McCoy having a cannon, but he does throw with anticipation, and that allows the ball to arrive before the defensive back often is ready.

14 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Are you sure?  How do you know?  Alex Smith's play was inaccurate and out of sync in the passing game all year.  How much of that was Alex Smith and not the receiver?  I'm not debating whether there has been any of them that consistently took the top of the defense, however, Smith missed almost every open receiver this year on a deep route.  Colt McCoy know's how Reed runs routes.  Proved it again Sunday right off the bat.  He's also been throwing to Mo Harris and Docston for a few years now.  He throws a different ball and as far as I see it, when watching replays, he does not hesitate like Smith does.  He's got better touch and a catchable arc.  When he doesn't hesitate he doesn't have to throw a dart.  I think at this point in the season, still a winning record, as long as they mix up the play calling 60/40 then those 60% passes are going for more yards and scores. 

Good point. No way of proving my position. Just the “feel” (whatever that’s worth) I got when Colt entered. 100% agree Colt is much more comfortable in the system than Smith and decisions will be quicker and we’re at times last week. 

Id imagine the playbook will open up a great deal for Gruden with Mccoy at the helm. Will be fun to see how Colt manages situations, quarters, games, and rest of season. Don’t think Colt has ever thought of the big picture in his NFL life, due to his status and need to prove something on each play. This will have to change. 

Side note: Maybe he’ll be our

Case Keenum

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The cannon line is funny but the idea that he's a new and improved Colt in practice, that's not the first time I've heard that.

He was originally a baseball player and pitched at a high level. People forget that Colt had a bad shoulder for a few years.   Twice he hurt his shoulder in college and it drastically affected his throwing with strength. 

McCoy left the 2010 BCS National Championship Game against Alabama during Texas' first offensive drive early in the first quarter with a right shoulder injury and was sidelined for the remainder of the game.

Colt also had a high level concussion with loss of memory in 2014 Week 14 game vs Steelers.  

These injuries, specifically the shoulder with nerve impingement have taken years to heal.  Colt is fully healed now and looks to be throwing the ball around well. 

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Id imagine the playbook will open up a great deal for Gruden with Mccoy at the helm. Will be fun to see how Colt manages situations, quarters, games, and rest of season. Don’t think Colt has ever thought of the big picture in his NFL life, due to his status and need to prove something on each play. This will have to change. 

Definitely will be easier for Jay to call a game with McCoy.  Not saying that Smith didn't know the whole playbook because he's a smart guy.  The difference comes into play where Colt doesn't have the hesitation that Smith does.  I think Alex is too careful and his hesitation in pulling the trigger amounts to what we've seen and not close to maximizing the resources available to him.  Those 175-200 yards passing per game will be worth another 100-150 yards a game.  That changes the offense as he's going to throw more picks.  If he's learned anything, then maybe he only throws like 1 per game and you can live with that if your defense is getting you 2-3 turnovers per game. 

9 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

He was originally a baseball player and pitched at a high level. People forget that Colt had a bad shoulder for a few years.   Twice he hurt his shoulder in college and it drastically affected his throwing with strength. 

McCoy left the 2010 BCS National Championship Game against Alabama during Texas' first offensive drive early in the first quarter with a right shoulder injury and was sidelined for the remainder of the game.

Colt also had a high level concussion with loss of memory in 2014 Week 14 game vs Steelers.  

These injuries, specifically the shoulder with nerve impingement have taken years to heal.  Colt is fully healed now and looks to be throwing the ball around well. 

I've heard the narrative before.  WP wrote an article about it, too.  But I can't help what I saw in the 2017 camp, the dude didn't have a cannon for an arm far from it.  Keim who clearly has seen many more practices than me questioned the comment himself.

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've heard the narrative before.  WP wrote an article about it, too.  But I can't help what I saw in the 2017 camp, the dude didn't have a cannon for an arm far from it.  Keim who clearly has seen many more practices than me questioned the comment himself.

Yeah I don't think he has a cannon but I also don't think he has a noodle.  I view his arm strength as middle of the pack, but he throws strikes! 

giphy.gif

He also has an off-speed pitch that Alex Smith doesn't.  (Ok, enough of the baseball references) 

I think the Skins offense is better with Colt McCoy.  

15 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah I don't think he has a cannon but I also don't think he has a noodle.  I view his arm strength as middle of the pack, but he throws strikes! 

He also has an off-speed pitch that Alex Smith doesn't.  (Ok, enough of the baseball references) 

I think the Skins offense is better with Colt McCoy.  

I am ok with going on this ride with Colt.  I think the odds are the offense is better with him, too.  I think the dude has a quick release, is decisive, will get the ball in the hands of receivers quicker than Alex.  He also plays with more moxie and oomph than Alex so I think by extension the team will get more fired up playing with him at the helm.

The three things I am not sold on is can he avoid turnovers, arm-strength/deep ball, and avoiding injury.

Reading between the lines, listening/reading some player interviews today -- you almost get a sense that they think they'd be better with Colt.

Finlay said just a few minutes ago on 980 that the coaches weren't enamored with Alex's play (in spite of the nice rhetoric they give publicly) and he thinks if Colt really performs well in the home stretch that there might be some bonafide QB controversy next year with Alex.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The three things I am not sold on is can he avoid turnovers, arm-strength/deep ball, and avoiding injury.

Reading between the lines, listening/reading some player interviews today -- you almost get a sense that they think they'd be better with Colt.

Finlay said just a few minutes ago on 980 that the coaches weren't enamored with Alex's play (in spite of the nice rhetoric they give publicly) and he thinks of colt really performs well in the home stretch that there might be some bonafide QB controversy next year with Alex.

Edited just now by Skinsinparadise

First... I know a little thing or two about sports medicine.  The chances that Alex Smith ever plays football again are very small.  With that, the Skins are on the hook for $73M of his salary.  They're basically screwed at QB without McCoy and finding a rookie QB by the end of 2019.  The next draft isn't QB heavy and you're probably wasting any pick taking a QB in 2019 draft.  You'd have to draft a year 1 starter in 2020 and basically scratch off that year unless you extended McCoy 1 year.  That would mean you're rolling with Colt for 2.5 yrs (the rest of this year, 2019 and 2020 if you're playing winning football otherwise you play the rookie). They are just not going to have any money to buy a QB for a few years.  

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Sad thing is no-one at all, outside of fans of the Skins, has any idea how good McCoy is.

So with McCoy at the helm, and especially Sanchez the backup, we will be the butt of all jokes.

But McCoy will of course surprise a lot of people "outside Washington"

It didn't seem to matter or make a difference in 2018, though.

Already getting made fun of.... they are 100% sure our season is done...lol colt is going to shock them all

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

RECALL ALERT!! --- Colt McCoy's first game as a starter was vs Dallas on Thanksgiving 2014 in Dallas

LOL where did you even get your information? Might wanna double-check next time. Thanksgiving 2014: redskins didn’t play.  Plus, they didn’t even face Dallas that year in November.....PLUS, that couldn’t have been Colt McCoys first game as a starter. As a Redskins player, yes, but his first game as a starter in his career was in 2010, a loss to the Steelers in week 6, due to injuries to Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace. 

19 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

LOL where did you even get your information? Might wanna double-check next time. Thanksgiving 2014: redskins didn’t play.  Plus, they didn’t even face Dallas that year in November.....PLUS, that couldn’t have been Colt McCoys first game as a starter. As a Redskins player, yes, but his first game as a starter in his career was in 2010, a loss to the Steelers in week 6, due to injuries to Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace. 

What...ok wasn't Thanksgiving but the week before on MNF, Oct 27th week 8, 2014 and it was Colt McCoys first start as a Redskin (and his first as a starter since 2011).

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014102700/2014/REG8/redskins@cowboys

Archived