Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Memorable victory and worst loss for Washington

ThePackisback

Most memorable..man...it's gotta be a three way tie maybe four way tie...1.Monday night miracle...2.06 Troy Vincent field goal block against Dallas in fed ex Sean t recovery and return to set up one.    last.      untimed down...kick is up and good we win we win!!..3.win against Philly in Philly they had nothing to play for but spoiler..a win put us in..Sean t fumble recovery for a TD and Clinton Portis's parents being moved down to the field for safety...4.the come from behind win against Tampa a couple years ago when that other dude was our qb.

As far as the loses...ughhggg soooo many hahaha..any time we lose to the cowboys, eagles or giants really.

The worst game for me was the 1990 NFCC game against the Giants.

They were a good solid football team all around, but the Redskins were the hot team, and many said if anyone could beat the Giants in that game it was the Redskins. But they just couldn't get it going, and them SOBs would open a door at one end of the field to let the wind blow in when an opponent would try for a FG; the ball would go all over the place. I really really hated the Giants.

My favorite game was the 87' divisional round against da' Bears.

The great Walter Payton, his last meaningful game before retiring, and the Redskins defense wouldn't let him 'score the winning drive and fly off into the sunset', or whatever quote he had told Madden.

The Monday night game in 83' against Dallas put Darrell Green on the NFL map, but the Bears playoff game firmly cemented him as one of the best to play the position.

On a side note, that game was also the game where I heard the funniest thing ever by an announcer. It was butt-ass cold, witch's tittie in a brass bra cold.

After Doug Williams was knocked down, his hand warmer packets fell out of his pocket. Pat Summeral and John Madden were calling the game, and Summeral made a comment about getting something knocked out of his pocket, then John says they were hand warmers. Then he said it's so cold on the field, your sweat freezes, your spit freezes, hec, ANYTHING hanging off ya will freeze'.  Summeral about choked on his drink.

A lot of memorable ones.  From my formative years:

Broncos Superbowl Victory.  I was 6.  My parents had friends over, I wasn't really into football yet.  I knew who the Redskins were but didn't care yet.  Was upstairs in my room playing with kids from across the street, came downstairs and everyone was miserable.  Not much later, I came back downstairs and everyone was going nuts, it was great.  I remember watching a very little bit of it.  That's kinda what hooked me.  I'm not sure how I got this stuff but I had a pennant and a pin from that game.

Pretty much all of the 1991 season.  Kicking the living **** out of the Lions on the opening night.  Talk of an undefeated season.  The whole feeling was electric.  I don't know if DC will ever get back to that kind of a feeling...we've been close, but not quite there.  The seat cushion game, absolutely annihilating Deion and Jerry Glanville in that game.  I remember that more than the SuperBowl.

More recently, destroying the Cowboys at home 35-7 in 2005, Cooley going off for three touchdowns and Parcells looking like he didn't know what was going on.  I was at that game, me and a buddy got tickets close to the 50 yard line about 10 rows back earlier in the season when they were cheap and the team wasn't so hot.  By the time that game rolled around, the Skins were hot and it was a valuable ticket.  That was about as good of a home win as I've seen in person.

The worst game for me, outside of some of the ones that have been mentioned was in 1996 where Boomer ****ing Esiason threw for over 500 yards while quarterbacking the Cardinals.  The Cardinals also had Larry Centers who we could flat out not stop.  I'm probably wrong here but I'm pretty sure 475 of those 500 yards that Esiason threw for were to Larry Centers on passes out of the backfield.  Larry Centers always killed us.  I remember watching that game and getting so pissed because Esiason was old, not very good anymore and we couldn't do anything to stop him.  I just looked it up, it's the 7th most passing yards given up in a game in history.  We lost 37-34 in overtime.

14 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

So many memorable wins.  But one we rarely revisit is bouncing the Walsh/Montana/Rice 49ers in the 83 NFC championship game.  Not an easy trick to pull.

Worst loss?  Well that would be the game directly after beating those Niners.  Jack Squirek can get deez nuts!

Hate to break it to ya boss, but the '83 49ers didn't have Rice yet, they didn't have him until 1985.  Still, you are right, it's a game that doesn't get mentioned too often.  It is a classic.

One thing I never knew about this game...go to 1:55 on the highlights.  Moseley missed like...5 kicks this game?

SS, starting with the last season of Gibbs 1, when Ryp threw 2 pick six, to Norv's last season, when Stephen Davis fumbled the ball into the end zone and it was taken all the way back for a TD, seems like we had a game every season against the Cards that would vex the living crap out of us. The games against AZ from 92-00 alone could claim their own category in the tormenting of Skins fans.

5 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

SS, starting with the last season of Gibbs 1, when Ryp threw 2 pick six, to Norv's last season, when Stephen Davis fumbled the ball into the end zone and it was taken all the way back for a TD, seems like we had a game every season against the Cards that would vex the living crap out of us. The games against AZ from 92-00 alone could claim their own category in the tormenting of Skins fans.

Dude, I hated the Cardinals almost as much as the Cowboys back in the 90s.  First, they were in our division and it didn't make sense.  One team in the southwest part of the country in the NFC East.  At that time, I knew the Cowboys would give us fits because of Aikman, Smith and Irvin.  I understood that and accepted it.  They were usually just better than us.  I hated it, but understood it.

The Cardinals?  **** them,  Right in the neck.  Every year, no matter who they had, it was just the most annoying **** ever.  EVER.  The Boomer Esiason game is the absolute perfect example of how insanely annoying/frustrating/maddening/rage inducing they were.  Every year, no matter what, like clockwork.  

most MEMORABLE win...

Worst loss....

Redskins vs Steelers on MNF.  It was Heinz Field south.  Terrible towels everywhere... 

I was at both games so that's why they stand out the most to me... There are other 'bigger' victories, or more 'crushing' losses, but those two stand out because I was in attendance.  

I’m going to skip the obvious ones and playoffs. I have 3 non-playoff worst losses:

1. Opener against Dallas in 1999 when the skins were up big against Dallas, basically were out of shape and allowed Dallas to run the ball at will all the way down the field 3 times to tie the game, and then gave up a 70 yard bomb to Rocket Ismael to lose in OT.  I think every DB on the team left with cramps... I can still close my eyes and see that last play with excruciating clarity. 

2. 2007 - Buffalo. I honestly still get a little choked up thinking about this game.  I was there.  The game after Sean Taylor died. We had the missing man formation, Gibbs calling 2 TOs to make a long field goal try essentially a gimme, and the whole miserable feeling in the stadium.  It was also a cloudy, rainy crappy day.  I’ve never been more miserable or sad at a game ever.

3. 2016 Giants game to miss the playoffs.  Against a vanilla Giants team playing for nothing, they had nothing and lost a win and in game.  To the Giants.  Just awful.

A couple of non-playoff special wins:

1. 2005 - Monday Night Miracle.  And I think the game put to the soundtrack of (I can’t remembet the name of the submarine movie with Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington) with Al Michael’s MNF call overtop is just amazing.  My favorite is Al Michaels saying “And the safety Sean Taylor comes up and UNLOADS on him.  People sometimes forget that in addition to the 2 bombs to Moss, the play that ended the game was an ST21 tackle on a swing pass.  Just an amazing win and game. 

2. 2006 - Dallas game where Taylor picks up a blocked FG, gets it into scoring range and Skins kick a game winning FG during an awful season.

3. 2012 season finally against Dallas.  Morris runs for 200 yards in a win and in game to cap the most extraordinary regular season in franchise history.

i honestly didn’t plan to have 3 Dallas games on that list, i just started listing the games that came to mind. I guess it just goes to show what those games mean. 

15 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Worst loss: 1979 season finale loss to Dallas 35-34, in which we blew a 13-point lead with under 5 minutes left and lost not only the division, but knocked out of the playoffs entirely due to the Bears beating the Cardinals by some ungodly amount of points. 

This is the only acceptable answer for worst loss.

It was so bad that we actually had politicians saying they should maybe look into if games were rigged due to that "ungodly amount of points' ending up being the tiebreaker, along with (I think) the time at the end of the game screwing the Skins over in some manner.

15 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Most memorable win: Tie between the NFCCG victory over Dallas following the 1982 season, and the Super Bowl win a week later against the Dolphins.

Worst loss: 1979 season finale loss to Dallas 35-34, in which we blew a 13-point lead with under 5 minutes left and lost not only the division, but knocked out of the playoffs entirely due to the Bears beating the Cardinals by some ungodly amount of points. 

EXACTLY the same games I thought of when I saw the thread title... something about great minds thinking alike ... ?

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Worst Loss: losing to Tampa in the 99 divisional playoff round. Up 13-0 but blew it. If we won we'd have played the Rams in the NFC Title game and I think we had a legit shot.

Im so glad you brought this game up.  I still think if we beat Tampa here we win the Rams game and go to the SB.  I will never forget this game as long as I live but it is, in my opinion, the game no one talks about/the season no one talks about.  We were the one team that could have beat the rams.

Hmm so many and this is not the best game of all time but it is the best game against the pack I think. 1972 playoff game against the pack. They thought they were going to run the ball down our throats as the had 2 great backs in Brockington and Lane but wiley ol GHA had a ace up his sleve. He used 5 down D linemen to stop the packs running game and we went on to beat them soundly. How about taking their all time greatest coach from them, does that count? Worse loss all time, 72 SB loss to Miami. Still think it was too hot for our guys and they were a warm weather team. Cheers.

Worst- Monday night massacre vs. The eagles. Loss to the giants with the trick hunter the punter play. There was a bad televised loss to the steelers in the Jim Zorn era when we were 6-2 or so. Rocket ismail loss to the cowboys. Rg3 getting his career ended vs Seattle in the playoffs. 

I'm sure these don't match up to the Marcus Allen loss in the superbowl, but I wasn't there for that. 

Best- santana moss double td game. 

Best win, there have been too many to pick just one. Maybe the 1982 Dallas Playoff game, or the 1987 Bears playoff road game, or the 1983 49ers playoff game, or the 1987 SB where we were supposed to get trounced by the Donkeys. I lived in California during the 87 season and it seemed that everybody I knew were Broncos fans for some reason. I made some money.

One of the worst losses to me was the 1990 playoff game vs the 49ers. I knew that team was great, they even proved it the next year, it was just Rypien and his end zone INTS. If he had been better we'd have repeated in 1991. At that point Montana and the 49ers were trying to 3peat but we should have won IMO. We could have easily beaten that 49ers team but we lost by a large margin because of Rypien.

No question on worst loss.  1979 at Dallas.  In the last 4 minutes of the game, Skins went from division champs with homefield advantage throughout the playoffs to out of the playoffs by blowing a 13 point lead.  I'm convinced that this loss played a big hand in the disaster that was the 1980 season.  Theismann has even said that he thinks it's why Riggo sat out the '80 season.

Best win?  For me it's 1975.  OT win over Cowboys at RFK.  Kenny Houston with the big OT pick, Roger getting a PF call on the play, and Kilmer's clinching TD sneak.  Those were the days.

1 hour ago, LightningBuggs said:

.Best win?  For me it's 1975.  OT win over Cowboys at RFK.  Kenny Houston with the big OT pick, Roger getting a PF call on the play, and Kilmer's clinching TD sneak.  Those were the days.

That is probably my earliest memory as a Skins fan of a great win.

But I think my earliest memory of a bad loss, aside from Clint Longley Thanksgiving '74, was the travesty at Busch Stadium two weeks after the Cowboys OT game in '75.

Most Memorable victory for me was attending our playoff game in Tampa. 

I was sitting solo on the 50 amongst Tampa fans. They tried to have me thrown out for cheering loud.  Cops came and let me stay. Watching Sean T dominate was something special. I’ll never forget it. Watching a playoff win live was a memory of a lifetime.

Worst loss was the time I went to New England for their undefeated season. We were 4-2, thinking we had a chance, lol. The entire section I was in was NE fans. They heckled me and my cousin mercilessly. We took it like champs, but reached our limits once a 12 yr old started cursing at us late in the 3rd quarter. I asked his pops to handle it and we almost came to blows. We decided to leave early half way thru the 4th. The entire section sang NaNaNaNaHeyHeyHey goodbye, as we walked down the stairs. I turned to the section once we reached the bottom and gave them a double FU salute. Smh. That one hurt a little bit we survived all good.

Archived