Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Memorable victory and worst loss for Washington

ThePackisback

Most memorable win: Tie between the NFCCG victory over Dallas following the 1982 season, and the Super Bowl win a week later against the Dolphins.

Worst loss: 1979 season finale loss to Dallas 35-34, in which we blew a 13-point lead with under 5 minutes left and lost not only the division, but knocked out of the playoffs entirely due to the Bears beating the Cardinals by some ungodly amount of points. 

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

So many memorable wins.  But one we rarely revisit is bouncing the Walsh/Montana/Rice 49ers in the 83 NFC championship game.  Not an easy trick to pull.

Worst loss?  Well that would be the game directly after beating those Niners.  Jack Squirek can get deez nuts!

Man, that Niners win almost turned into a worst loss. Probably paved the way for the beatdown the Raiders gave us two weeks later. But at least we could emphatize with the 2007 Pats and the 2013 Broncos, two recent unstoppable offenses that got stuffed in the big game (the Broncos loss was more similar to the one we suffered in SB 18).

I think an underrated tough loss was the one at RFK over the Bears, 23-19, following the 1984 season. True, looking back, the Bears were an up and coming team, and obliterated the league in '85......and we got our revenge in the 1986 and 1987 postseasons. But after going to back to back SBs, sitting there after that game knowing that we wouldn't be going to a 3rd straight.....left an empty feeling. 

Number one for me is 91 NFCCG. Charles Mann had a sack/fumble on the Lions first play of the game. That is the single loudest thing I have ever heard in my life. Man do I miss RFK Stadium.  I was 23 years old and at the perfect age to really enjoy that game. The Lions had two early turnovers and we went up 10-0 very quickly in the game. But the Lions came back and the game was close at the half 17-10 us. Then the second half we just dominated. Rypien had 2 long TD passes in back to back drives. One to Clark and one to Monk. The defense forced 4 turnovers on the day. Definitely the single best sports experience of my life being there.

Worst loss is not even debatable for me. Raiders Super Bowl loss. 

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Here’s a fun “worst loss” for @ThePackisback.  To this day, it still remains the wildest NFL game I’ve ever watched.  I would literally give my pinky toe for the game tape.  I believe it was the highest scoring Monday Night game for several decades.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198310170gnb.htm

Here you go:

I'll pass on the toe, thanks.

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Here’s a fun “worst loss” for @ThePackisback.  To this day, it still remains the wildest NFL game I’ve ever watched.  I would literally give my pinky toe for the game tape.  I believe it was the highest scoring Monday Night game for several decades.

What Pack won't get from that is that Joey T drove us down the field in a minute to set Moseley up for like a 35 yard GWFG attempt.....which he missed! If he hits it, Skins win 50-48.

Another fun thing to look at that box score is the Skins having 550 yards of offense, and the Packers having around 470. And you see the amount of points scored. People have been pointing out all the games since 1970 in which teams have piled up more than 480 yards of offense, and the average amount of points they score is in the mid-to-high 30s. Yesterday, the Bucs scored 3. Just bizarre. 

16 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

What Pack won't get from that is that Joey T drove us down the field in a minute to set Moseley up for like a 35 yard GWFG attempt.....which he missed! If he hits it, Skins win 50-48.

Another fun thing to look at that box score is the Skins having 550 yards of offense, and the Packers having around 470. And you see the amount of points scored. People have been pointing out all the games since 1970 in which teams have piled up more than 480 yards of offense, and the average amount of points they score is in the mid-to-high 30s. Yesterday, the Bucs scored 3. Just bizarre. 

My Aunt and Uncle were at that game with my Mom and Dad. They said it was bitter cold that night. My Aunt and Uncle divorced in 1995 but that game reminds me of my ex Aunt.

57 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Most memorable win: Tie between the NFCCG victory over Dallas following the 1982 season, and the Super Bowl win a week later against the Dolphins.

Worst loss: 1979 season finale loss to Dallas 35-34, in which we blew a 13-point lead with under 5 minutes left and lost not only the division, but knocked out of the playoffs entirely due to the Bears beating the Cardinals by some ungodly amount of points. 

Yeah, those. Have to throw in Super Bowl 18 and the NFC title loss to the Giants, where the wind apparently cause Gary Clark to not be able to catch a pass, as worst loss candidates.

You can also categorize these into playoff games, regular season games with playoff implications, and maybe non-playoff implication games.

Other notable losses with playoff implications would be, say, that 1996 game against the Cards that we lost due to Romeo Bandison's face mask penalty and helping us get knocked out. One early season loss that was a gut punch was losing 31-30 to the Cowboys at the start of '83.  We are defending champs on MNF, RFK is rocking, and we are crushing Dallas, leading 23-3 at half.  But they come back and win......horrible feeling.  The opener in '99 was just about a repeat.....leading 35-14 in the 4th......Dallas comes back to tie, we have a chance to win in regulation but blow the snap on the FG attempt, and then Aikman to Ismail for 80 yards in OT.

A notable regular season win was one that avenged the 1983 opening night loss. Going to Dallas, both teams are 12-2.  We jumped out ahead but they narrowed the gap, but then they went for it on 4th and 1 near midfield and Landry is screaming for them to abort the play but they go through with it and the Skins stuff them. We prevail 31-10. I would also say another underrated win was the one in Dallas the following year (1984). We were getting smoked and Joey T was getting battered, but we hung in there and prevailed......think Darrell had a pick 6 in the comeback too.  

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

That was an awesome game.  I believe that had another Darrell Green highlight in which he ran down from behind Phillip Epps, who  was an Olympian sprinter turned receiver.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Number one for me is 91 NFCCG. Charles Mann had a sack/fumble on the Lions first play of the game. That is the single loudest thing I have ever heard in my life. Man do I miss RFK Stadium.  I was 23 years old and at the perfect age to really enjoy that game. The Lions had two early turnovers and we went up 10-0 very quickly in the game. But the Lions came back and the game was close at the half 17-10 us. Then the second half we just dominated. Rypien had 2 long TD passes in back to back drives. One to Clark and one to Monk. The defense forced 4 turnovers on the day. Definitely the single best sports experience of my life being there.

Worst loss is not even debatable for me. Raiders Super Bowl loss. 

We were sitting in the end zone where Mann crushed Kramer. It was a glorious day. I still have my **** Detroit shirt, ($10.00 in the parking lot), packed away somewhere.

Best- when we had RG3 and beat Dallas on SNF and the winner won the east and went to playoffs while the loser goes home.  

Worst- the MNF game where Michael Vick destroyed us and Haynesworth literally laid on the ground during the play and refused to get up and try to make a play. 

I was in college in PA in 1986, obviously before sports bars and Sunday Ticket, so didn't see a lot of the Skins that year. I did go to my first ever live game at RFK, the late season loss to the Giants. Still, wasn't expecting the team to do a lot in the playoffs, and was just happy that we beat the Rams in the wild card game. Anyway, flew overseas on New Year's Day 1987 for a 10-day class trip and was out of contact with what was going on in the US.  At some point someone called home and found out the results of the divisional games. He said that the Redskins had beaten the Bears 24-10, and I was super excited......for a moment...….and then he says that the Giants had beaten the 49ers 49-3.....and I'm like "oh ****."  I got back to the States the night before the NFCCG with no expectations whatsoever.

I think Belichick, for all his hardware with the Pats now, still regards shutting out Gibbs in that game as one of his great career achievements. 

35 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We were sitting in the end zone where Mann crushed Kramer. It was a glorious day. I still have my **** Detroit shirt, ($10.00 in the parking lot), packed away somewhere.

Good man. Lion fans are the most obnoxious fans believe it or not. When they start winning they are unbearable.

Best- SBs not counting- Imma go with covering the team on a Saturday night in Philly a few years back when we cliched the East. I didn't even check into the hotel that night I was so pumped up after that, just had JimmiJo drop me at the airport & spent the night on ES, going through pics I had taken, & streaming the 980 post game show while waiting on a 7am flight home. 

Worst - Black Sunday

17 minutes ago, TK said:

Best- SBs not counting- Imma go with covering the team on a Saturday night in Philly a few years back when we cliched the East. I didn't even check into the hotel that night I was so pumped up after that, just had JimmiJo drop me at the airport & spent the night on ES, going through pics I had taken, & streaming the 980 post game show while waiting on a 7am flight home. 

Mentioning Philly, purely from a personal satisfaction standpoint, the win at the Vet in the playoffs following the 1990 season stacks up against any other victory, playoff or otherwise. Words can't describe how fired up I was after this game, so just read Richard Justice's words from pages 172-174 at the link below. Chilling.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/book/pages/172.htm

I wasn't around during the SB years so I'll go...

Memorable: beating Tampa in the playoffs in 05. It was full of drama and was a tightly contested defensive slugfest. Its also memorable because we won despite throwing for like 40 yards passing.

Worst Loss: losing to Tampa in the 99 divisional playoff round. Up 13-0 but blew it. If we won we'd have played the Rams in the NFC Title game and I think we had a legit shot.

Best: 1982 season playoff game against the Vikings at RFK. It was unbelievably loud. A whole section of the stadium was bouncing up and down. The Cowboys were playing Green Bay later in the day. Sometime during the third quarter, a couple of guys off to my left started yelling, "We want Dallas!" It caught on.

This was John Riggins greatest performance - he wound up with 185 yards on 37 carries. For the four playoff games (Detroit, Minnesota, Dallas, Miami), the Diesel would motor for 610 yards on 138 carries. With a couple of minutes to go and the game in hand, Gibbs finally took him out of the game. RFK went berserk. As he jogged to the sidelines, Riggins paused to remove his helmet and bow theatrically, twice. Dallas would be next. And this time, we were ready.

Worst: 1983 season Super Bowl. Yeesh. Gack. Ptuuui.

Archived