• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

PleaseBlitz

2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

I’d throw out Nelson Muntz, but no one in the final four benefits from MSU being in the final four but MSU.

I hate how they show the kids crying after a loss.... Ric Flair quote from Izzo!!!!

I haven't watch much of the 4 Elite 8 games over the years but I doubt any had closer margins than those 4 at the end of regulation.... just a great set of games.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2019 at 10:07 AM, Elessar78 said:

Michael Avennatti confirms thus

You don't have to be. You can be Zionists.

Tre developing is good for the program. He's not a lottery pick guy, so he will stay.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:06 PM, Elessar78 said:

Plus would you rather have K put his arm around you or Izzo to berate you in a way that would make Bobby Knight blush?

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I haven't watch much of the 4 Elite 8 games over the years but I doubt any had closer margins than those 4 at the end of regulation.... just a great set of games.

It was a really good field this year and the top seeds took care of business for the most part.

UVA over Texas Tech in the Final 37 to 36.

• Haha 4

I won my survivor pool draw today. Picked Auburn, everyone else picked Kentucky and Duke.

If Gonzaga didn’t lay an egg last night, I probably win my only bracket entry. Would left with over $1200.

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I won my survivor pool draw today. Picked Auburn, everyone else picked Kentucky and Duke.

If Gonzaga didn’t lay an egg last night, I probably win my only bracket entry. Would left with over $1200.

I tried doing the same thing, but went with Tennessee. So I lost out big. I figured everyone would take UNC or Duke, so I found a different team. I was just way off.

Posted (edited)

Also, once again Coach K is washed. He can recruit his ass off now — thanks to USA basketball and that plug — but Xs and Os he not cutting edge anymore.

He was outcoached the last three games but out-talented everyone until Izzo came  along.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

Man I love the tourney.  Even though my college team isn't a frequent tourney team and I don't get to have a dog in the hunt, it's still an amazing event.

The FBS has got to get on some of this tourney magic and expand that playoff field to 16.  I can't imagine a more fun month of football than that.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I hate how they show the kids crying after a loss.... Ric Flair quote from Izzo!!!!

I love seeing the tears of Duke players.  **** them.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I love seeing the tears of Duke players.  **** them.

I would agree with you 15 years ago when I was under 25 and childless.  I remember saving JJ Redick's photo of him crying it out at the end of his final NCAA tourney (I think?).  

Now I kind've find that petty and hope the producers are old enough to realize it's not cool to do that to a young man... oh well.

Posted (edited)

that was insane I saw it all live in person at the game

New

I've seen Stanley cup final games and MLB all star games and Redskins playoff games in person and that was the best game I ever seen in person. Ran down to lower bowl after and got some pics of izzo. Good guy. I admit I was wrong. That man addressed crowd after game he was all class. 

This Michigan man can respect izzo.

Cheers mate.

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Like 2

Ironic when I try to find the picture... as a Wizards fan.... you can Google the image of Redick crying on Coach K....

The rest, however, did little good for Redick, who was hounded for almost 40 minutes by the 6-foot-5 Louisiana State freshman guard Garrett Temple. In his final collegiate game, Redick made just 3 of 18 field-goal attempts and scored 11 points as top-seeded Duke was upset by fourth-seeded L.S.U., 62-54, in an N.C.A.A. tournament regional semifinal in the Georgia Dome.

That Garrett Temple? 

41 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Also, once again Coach K is washed. He can recruit his ass off now — thanks to USA basketball and that plug — but Xs and Os he not cutting edge anymore.

He was outcoached the last three games but out-talented everyone until Izzo came  along.

Cant argue this. Did Zion even touch the ball the last minute? Why did they let RJ take over? Coach K squandered what should have been an all time team throughout the season and couldn’t even Get to the final 4 with them. 

• Like 1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

The preordained, perpetually anointed Dukies lost with the best player in a decade! He chose Duke over UK and got no closer to a championship.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I have said it for years, don't bet against Tom Izzo, he always has his boys ready in March.

He usually ends up in a body bag after against Duke but Coach K is washed.

• Like 1