Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

PleaseBlitz

The NCAA has to change their replay rule. Not because they are getting calls wrong, but because they are giving teams without a timeout a free timeout. This is back to back nights a team in a game tying/winning situation got a free timeout for a replay. Last night it worked for Purdue, tonight it did not for Virginia Tech (even though the play was brilliant). They just have to come up with a way to not give a free timeout if a team doesn’t have one.

25 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

The NCAA has to change their replay rule. Not because they are getting calls wrong, but because they are giving teams without a timeout a free timeout. This is back to back nights a team in a game tying/winning situation got a free timeout for a replay. Last night it worked for Purdue, tonight it did not for Virginia Tech (even though the play was brilliant). They just have to come up with a way to not give a free timeout if a team doesn’t have one.

They absolutely need to change their rule.  Especially if the refs only were able to look at the clock with a little over 6 seconds left in the game, when VT still had the ball but it should have been given to Duke since Blackshear possessed the ball while having a foot on the line.  Tech shouldn't have had 3 chances to tie and/or win the game, when Duke should have been at the foul line trying to extend their lead.  I thought refs were able to determine who's ball it was on a questionable play with under 2 minutes left in a half, that didn't appear to be the case tonight.

4 minutes ago, bushwack said:

They absolutely need to change their rule.  Especially if the refs only were able to look at the clock with a little over 6 seconds left in the game, when VT still had the ball but it should have been given to Duke since Blackshear possessed the ball while having a foot on the line.  Tech shouldn't have had 3 chances to tie and/or win the game, when Duke should have been at the foul line trying to extend their lead.  I thought refs were able to determine who's ball it was on a questionable play with under 2 minutes left in a half, that didn't appear to be the case tonight.

The foot out of bounds isn’t reviewable. It has to be a play where two people are fighting for the ball for it to be a review. Otherwise, they can only look at the clock. And they can only do that in the last 2 minutes.

1 minute ago, Redskin4ever said:

The foot out of bounds isn’t reviewable. It has to be a play where two people are fighting for the ball for it to be a review. Otherwise, they can only look at the clock. And they can only do that in the last 2 minutes.

Yeah, I'm not surprised by that since the ball remained in Tech's possession.  Add that to the list for changes to be made for what officials are able to review in order avoid instances like tonight.

I take the point about Coach K not being the same caliber of xs and os coach he used to be, or that the best coaches are now.  Hard not to notice the difference in quality of offensive complexity and execution between what he and guys like Painter and Wright and Few are teaching.  Same for defense and Bennett/Beard.  Duke is relying on overwhelming talent and improvisation and havoc.

It works when you significantly outrecruit everyone else though.  Zion and Barrett are so much better than almost any other college talent can deal with and they buy in and give the team everything they have for one season in exchange for a shoe contract and top five draft slot at the end of the deal. No one else has the same brand cache with blue chippers.

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I take the point about Coach K not being the same caliber of xs and os coach he used to be, or that the best coaches are now.  Hard not to notice the difference in quality of offensive complexity and execution between what he and guys like Painter and Wright and Few are teaching.  Same for defense and Bennett/Beard.  Duke is relying on overwhelming talent and improvisation and havoc.

It works when you significantly outrecruit everyone else though.  Zion and Barrett are so much better than almost any other college talent can deal with and they buy in and give the team everything they have for one season in exchange for a shoe contract and top five draft slot at the end of the deal. No one else has the same brand cache with blue chippers.

That's a lot of words to say "Nike pays better."

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I really think Roy Williams is a better coach now and I used to think he was mediocre too.

Coach K has been outfoxed the last two games by teams with way inferior talent.

Archived