Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

PleaseBlitz

Just now, clietas said:

In the era tho. Thought that was your whole point?

In the era of one and dones (since 2005) only two teams built mainly off that model have won the national championship.  Duke in 2015 and Kentucky in 2012.  So in the last 13 years (2006 - 2018) 85% of the national championship teams were not one and done teams.

That's my point.  It's not a guaranteed way to win a championship.  Sure, it gives teams like Duke and Kentucky an absolute advantage because of the raw talent those players possess.  But the lack of experience combined with the chance one or two of the superstars having an off night or average night come into play come tourny time.  

Total win/loss aside, UNC for example has made it to the national championship game three times during the era winning two of them (arguably got screwed out of one from poor officiating in the first half against Villanova).  Duke has made it twice, winning both, one with one and dones, one without.  Kentucky has made it twice, winning one and losing one.

Florida, Butler, Kansas, Villanova, UCONN have all made it to the championship game twice each as well.  Which again, is my point.  Teams built the old fashioned way where the players stay 2-4 years and develop a chemistry with each other still works.  Statistically better than the one and done model.   

7 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Total win/loss aside, UNC for example has made it to the national championship game three times during the era winning two of them (arguably got screwed out of one from poor officiating in the first half against Villanova).  

UNC lol. Phony classes n phony majors. Roy Williams n that program are filthy.

30 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Please.  Lifelong contract with Cal is gross. 

It’s like making a deal with the devil where he promises you’ll get laid once every few years but you can’t wash your **** for the rest of your life.

How did Pitino get into this discussion? 

15 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Cal don't apologize...no reason to.

Really? How do those Final Four banners at UMASS and Memphis look????? Coach Cal cheats. He has cheated at every stop along the way. Eventually, something will come out and Kentucky will find this out the hard way...

8 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Really? How do those Final Four banners at UMASS and Memphis look????? Coach Cal cheats. He has cheated at every stop along the way. Eventually, something will come out and Kentucky will find this out the hard way...

Asked and answered REPEATEDLY. Ya'll have been saying this for 10 years and for 10 years the answer has been the same; the facts to NOT line up with your conspiracy theories.

Hell, if you've been reading this thread you will have read the post where I actually and specifically addressed these very issues, as did the ESPN 30-for-30 that covered it and never once implicated Calipari. But you want him to be guilty and that's all you need, evidence be damned.

47 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Please.  Lifelong contract with Cal is gross. 

It’s like making a deal with the devil where he promises you’ll get laid once every few years but you can’t wash your **** for the rest of your life.

Beats all the promises all the others are making which is to never get laid while you desperately flail about trying to score. Becsuse that's what everyone else is doing.

28 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Asked and answered REPEATEDLY. Ya'll have been saying this for 10 years and for 10 years the answer has been the same; the facts to NOT line up with your conspiracy theories.

Hell, if you've been reading this thread you will have read the post where I actually and specifically addressed these very issues, as did the ESPN 30-for-30 that covered it and never once implicated Calipari. But you want him to be guilty and that's all you need, evidence be damned.

Right. He was the HC at 2 separate universities that had Final Four appearances stripped, and he had no idea anything was going on. What's the term that is used all the time when a coach pleads ignorance? Lack of institutional control....

1 hour ago, clietas said:

UNC lol. Phony classes n phony majors. Roy Williams n that program are filthy.

Not going to debate that on here again.  But will point out that even if you want to use that excuse and not accept the 2009 championship they won, even though we have no idea if not being enrolled into an unaccredited class they didn't know was unaccredited would even impact their eligibility, that year excluded, they still have made it to two championship games, winning one after all that (when the program was clean).

The entire point was showing teams that have made it to the national championship game (and some that have won multiple titles) with building a team based on players staying there for 2-4 years (having a solid core of juniors and seniors on the team) versus building a team with a bunch of one and dones and relying heavily on that talent to yield the same results (e.g. KY and Duke).

I think having a 15% success rate with one and dones shows that the college game is and will be fine in the future without it.  The only coach "concerned" about it appears to be Coach K, after his super team got bounced by Michigan State.  And he can spew all the **** he wants about how the NCAA isn't ready, the fact of the matter is that outside of Duke and KY, the vast majority of college teams are in fact ready and won't miss a beat. 

Duke and KY will have to go back to the way they did things before.  And both programs will be fine as they were before 2005, they just can't sell the "I don't care if you leave after one year, my job is to prepare you for the NBA in that year" recruiting talk anymore.  

I honestly love the idea that anyone's college program is not dirty.

There's a 75 percent chance that two of these four teams will have to take down their banners in ten years. (Not Izzo, because MSU is high profile enough now to never get investigated even if the inhouse doctor is a serial rapist).

Anyway, this is the Final Four America deserves. I hope Virginia wins the next two games by an average score of 36-31 and the ratings drop to 0.

Also, college basketball is damn near unwatchable with the one and dones.

How in God's name you people are going to watch these awful players take awful shots in awful offenses on a regular basis is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Tony Bennett is a god.

Wait til he actually starts landing decently rated recruits... hopefully he won't need Nike money to do it. 

In all seriousness though, Virginia is one program I view as pretty clean because they don't *want* one and dones. They don't want top 10 recruits that won't be there long enough to buy into the system. 

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Tony Bennett is a god.

He's a hell of a crooner, but I don't see what this has to do with Texas Tech being in the Final Four.

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

Wait til he actually starts landing decently rated recruits... hopefully he won't need Nike money to do it. 

In all seriousness though, Virginia is one program I view as pretty clean because they don't *want* one and dones. They don't want top 10 recruits that won't be there long enough to buy into the system. 

You sweet summer child.

Seriously, people, Baylor is a Baptist college that doesn't allow drinking on campus. And they covered up murders and rapes.

They are ALL dirty. All of them.

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

Right. He was the HC at 2 separate universities that had Final Four appearances stripped, and he had no idea anything was going on. What's the term that is used all the time when a coach pleads ignorance? Lack of institutional control....

And yet Cal was NEVER implicated nor accused by the NCAA as having ANY involvement in either situation. The NCAA slammed Louisville, hell they even slammed UK before Pitino, you think if they thought Cal was guilty they would have kept his name out of it?

Oh of course, because anything other disrupts your narrative.

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Of these 4 coaches, rank in order of who you'd prefer playing for if you had your choice as a highly coveted HS player:

1) Coach K

2) Roy Williams

3) John Calipari

4) Tom Izzo

Mine is:

1) Calipari

2) Izzo

3) Coach K

4) Roy Williams

Mine is:

1) Calipari

2) Williams

3) Izzo

4) Coach K

K goes last because his recruits have a miserable track record in the NBA. There are exceptions, but only to prove the rule.

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Duke and KY will have to go back to the way they did things before.  And both programs will be fine as they were before 2005, they just can't sell the "I don't care if you leave after one year, my job is to prepare you for the NBA in that year" recruiting talk anymore.  

The NBA now has the G-League, if the NBA's one and done rule end forcing players to multiple years of college the you will see the G-League grow strong. 

As for forcing players to stay, it is simply untenable to force players, who don't get guaranteed full ride scholarships anymore, to commit four years to schools who aren't obligated to commit to them.

23 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

The NBA now has the G-League, if the NBA's one and done rule end forcing players to multiple years of college the you will see the G-League grow strong. 

As for forcing players to stay, it is simply untenable to force players, who don't get guaranteed full ride scholarships anymore, to commit four years to schools who aren't obligated to commit to them.

Are you saying ending the one and done rule will force players to play multiple years in college?  Because, I disagree.  Players that are not on the same talent level as those one and done players are already on scholarships and plenty of them play 3 or 4 years of college ball. 

Are you saying that the G-League is going to result in more college players that would normally go to college for 3-4 years suddenly quitting college or not going at all and start signing with the G-league instead?  Because, I don't think we will suddenly see some huge spike in players not accepting scholarships to go try and make the NBA-G league only to make $35k/yr.

2 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Are you saying ending the one and done rule will force players to play multiple years in college?  Because, I disagree.  Players that are not on the same talent level as those one and done players are already on scholarships and plenty of them play 3 or 4 years of college ball. 

Are you saying that the G-League is going to result in more college players that would normally go to college for 3-4 years suddenly quitting college or not going at all and start signing with the G-league instead?  Because, I don't think we will suddenly see some huge spike in players not accepting scholarships to go try and make the NBA-G league only to make $35k/yr.

And not be on TV. That's one helluva motivator. 

16 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I think the true one-and-dones will go G-league. The more restrictions that are involved the more appealing the G-league will become.

College basketball and football both enjoy the luxury of being the only real pipeline for the pros. Unlike soccer, and baseball which in large part utilize their highly structured farm systems to develop their players. With the G-league those players who aren't students, and those players who don't want to be required to go to college for an arbitrary period of time will go G-League.

Archived