Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

247Sports: Josh Norman benched during Redskins' blowout loss

brandymac27

The only thing worse was hearing them praise Dunbar as our best corner... a CONVERTED wide receiver was it?

I wanted to throw up.  The Defense needs a dose of class, something like what we had when #28 Green or the guy we signed from Seattle a while back.  

We are terrible.

1 hour ago, zoony said:

Get skull ****ed on MNF

Get benched

Engage in Twitter battle with WR who just made you his **** on national TV

sounds like the Redskins

Singling out one player as a scapegoat for a team wide performance of ****ting the bed and rolling around in it and smearing it on their faces.  Sounds like ES.

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Singling out one player as a scapegoat for a team wide performance of ****ting the bed and rolling around in it and smearing it on their faces.  Sounds like ES.

In fairness Ive been going around the horn calling all the players trash

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

With Josh, itÂ’s more a culmination of what many of us have been saying for a while, followed by Josh engaging in Twitter beef after playing like trash, and deleting his comments thereafter.

I think most everyone knows the list is long for those who were trash last night.

8 hours ago, dyst said:

Josh is a good corner, just not elite, at least for for us. That first year he was getting lots of pass deflections but each year since...his guy is more wide open. Time for him to go...”if we had a damn backup plan”.

Norman hasn’t been good for quite some time. He’s a competitor and a good leader, but he’s lost pretty much all ability to play man coverage. 

3 minutes ago, zoony said:

In fairness Ive been going around the horn calling all the players trash

Good, everyone sucks.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

With Josh, itÂ’s more a culmination of what many of us have been saying for a while, followed by Josh engaging in Twitter beef after playing like trash, and deleting his comments thereafter.

I think most everyone knows the list is long for those who were trash last night.

Yeah, he's not good.  No picks last year, very well might not have any this year.  

With his performance last night and then the twitter thing...I'm just not even surprised.  

2 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Norman hasn’t been good for quite some time. HeÂ’s a competitor and a good leader, but heÂ’s lost pretty much all ability to play man coverage. ?

This is my fault. You guys are right. I guess I was comparing him to our own previous corners, which he is better than...but yes in the grand scheme of NFL players, he is no where near where we need our corners to be.

It sucks because while we can debate whether Norman was ever worth the money the front office paid him, he wasn't bad the first couple of seasons.  He wasn't as good as we had hoped he would be, but this season he has just been downright bad.  I wonder if he has just hit a wall physically and just can no longer compete with NFL caliber WR's or if his head isn't into the grind of the NFL anymore?  This kind of reminds me of when the Eagles signed Nmandi Asomugha coming off some really good seasons and was instantly garbage.  Norman just took a couple of seasons to get there.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I have no problem with benching Norman for performance.

But consistency is what makes or breaks locker rooms.

Why were Alex Smith and Montae Nicholson still playing? If I'm not mistaken, the play in question was the record breaker. Weren't the Saints in a trips look to that side of the field? Why would you play cover 3 to the trips side of a field?

Maybe I'm remembering the formation wrong, though.

I agree that consistency is important...but I'm also assuming this wasn't a benching simply for making a mistake. Context is important...

Nicholson made a horrible play that killed us. So did McPhee, though it wasn't a penalty but was a lack of fundamentals/discipline. But, to my knowledge those guys don't come the table running their ****ing mouths every 8 seconds. Maybe Gruden was sick of guys like Norman and Swearinger constantly yapping and less often making a positive play? Maybe Gruden had reason to believe that this evolving banter with Thomas was leading to Norman making mistakes or ignoring assignments on the field?

I don't care to know the details...as long as Gruden is our coach I actually LIKE to see him bench a players if it's warranted. I just don't think this was a benching because Norman made a mistake, there has to be more to it than that. 

To the Skins' credit, when they start checking boxes on the "Lost Season" scorecard, they do it in a goddamn hurry. No need to watch the drama unfold week to week. It all happens over a Monday and Tuesday in Week 5.

We need a QB benching, a fake injury (Josh Doctson may have already done this), and a bad divisional loss where the players snipe at each other in the media afterwards.

I also don't think we ever truly appreciate what we lost when George Michael died in 2009. It's not nearly as easy to get the "Snyder is losing faith in _____" stories any longer.

Not to compare Norman & ODBJr because at least ODB is performing on the field, however when it comes to a guy like Norman he is passionate but sometimes he just runs his mouth too much on the field.  If you are Gruden the last thing you want is for his antics & behavior to become a virus that spreads to other players.  The reason I bring up ODBjr is because now you see Sterling Shepeard acting like ODBJr Jr out there on the sideline throwing tantrums and arguing with coaches and I am willing to bet it can directly linked to ODB doing that stuff on the regular and getting zero consequences for it.

Archived