Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread- Redskins at Cardinals

TK

Well that was nice to have a dominant and easy win for once!  Good start to the season.  As for the WR core, if you are freaking out about it over this game, you werent paying enough attention.  There werent any issues with the receivers today, the Cardinals just have a great secondary, and we could run the ball all day on them, so we did.  If you can run for 200 yards, and then dump the ball off to Thompson to pick up 20 over and over again, why not?  Really low risk, high reward.  Plus, a couple of times where we did go downfield they had to hold because they were beat.  

You dont gameplan the same every game, you exploit the other teams weaknesses, which we did very well today.  Next week I highly doubt the Colts will let us do exactly what we did to the Cardinals, so the receivers may be much more involved.

Well that was nice to have a dominant and easy win for once!  Good start to the season.  As for the WR core, if you are freaking out about it over this game, you werent paying enough attention.  There werent any issues with the receivers today, the Cardinals just have a great secondary, and we could run the ball all day on them, so we did.  If you can run for 200 yards, and then dump the ball off to Thompson to pick up 20 over and over again, why not?  Really low risk, high reward.  Plus, a couple of times where we did go downfield they had to hold because they were beat.  

You dont gameplan the same every game, you exploit the other teams weaknesses, which we did very well today.  Next week I highly doubt the Colts will let us do exactly what we did to the Cardinals, so the receivers may be much more involved.

19 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Good.post I agree 100%.

But one thing you dont debate or even mention... Dez is an upgrade

Jay G. Has said many times and I quote

"We are always looking to improve our team" 

Dez is an upgrade to a ALREADY GOOD WR corps. 

Great win ill leave Dez talk for the Dez thread. 

HTTR!!

Was a couple of ugly snaps from Scherff on possession 1, who I feel is a bit overrated, if being honest. He's still a very solid RG, but there have been snaps in preseason as well as yesterday that give me concern. He was responsible of a poorly sustained block for AD early on, and also responsible for killing the potential 1st drive score. He should know by now to have picked up the other inside blitzer, instead of turning to double up on Moses' guy. 

4 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Anyone know where Kerrigan was today?  Did he play?

He played quite a bit. My hope is that, as some other poster (can't remember name right now) suggested, that both Kerrigan and Smith played much more gap discipline to contain David Johnson. So, they didn't pin ears back as much this game. That's my hope, at least. 

Very lazy block from Doctson vs Bethea on possession 2. If Doc sustains that drive even another second, CT takes his wide run to the house. 

?

Free safety rush smacks Alex hard after his pass incomplete to Crowder. Moses never even looked at the S at the line showing blitz around edge. 

Some good run blocks from VD and Sprinkle, as well as awesome running from AD to open up a nice run gain in the RZ.

Good D, dominant O-line, balanced O, efficient QB play & solid special teams ( save the long punt return they gave up late in the game).  And there's room for improvement in all those phases, which makes us a very dangerous team. The ingredients are all there to be a very good football team,. Now it's just a matter of staying healthy, not getting complacent and going out and balling on a weekly basis.

Perspective on the 2nd Half woes

2nd half possessions

- 1st drive opens inside the 10 at the 8yd line !!!!

holding call pushes them back inside the 5

Scherff and Roullier let inside pressure instantly through. (the safety not a safety play) on 3rd and 14.

- 2nd drive opens inside the 10 at the 8 yd line !!!! again !!!!

they run 6:46 off the clock with this drive as they completely reverse the field position !!!! 

Drive fails as yet another 10 yard penalty buries them into 3rd and very long. 

- 3rd drive opens at the 24 yd line

they run another 4:42 off the clock on this FG drive into the 4th quarter !!!

Our Defense did give up a score, but also made them use 6:26 minutes of the 4th to accomplish this !!!!

The remaining offense possessions were in that 5 minutes left of the game window.

The total philosophy here was kill clock, make em burn timeouts, play it safe, go home with a WIN. 

I'm not a big fan of playing older players late in blowouts.  I didnt need AP getting all those extra touches in a 3-score game we had in hand. 

And I get he's a robot that doesnt get tired, but save these extra carries for games where we really need it.  Fat Rob coulda run out the clock here. At some point, being 33 is gonna show up.

19 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm not a big fan of playing older players late in blowouts.  I didnt need AP getting all those extra touches in a 3-score game we had in hand. 

And I get he's a robot that doesnt get tired, but save these extra carries for games where we really need it.  Fat Rob coulda run out the clock here. At some point, being 33 is gonna show up.

I would agree with this maybe a little later this season, but not now. 

Peterson needs reps. He just joined the team and needs more work.

8 hours ago, Skinarchy said:

Our WR's DID nothing. Prob good blocking. Not much more.

No, the WRs didn't do a ton in this game, but I think that was by design.

The Cardinals have one of the better secondaries in the league. It would've been foolish for the Redskins to try and attack the teeth of their defense.

So instead they went to the underneath stuff. To the RBs and TEs. Exploited the mismatches they had there. 

It was a good game plan and it worked. Along with a stout defense.

Next week, the game plan might be different since the Colts' secondary isn't as good.

However, with the weather they are expecting might happen in D.C. next Sunday with what will be then the remnants of Florence, expect a heavy dose of the running game again.

32 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I get what you're saying, but I think that they were just giving him the chance to get to 100yds as he was so close.

I agree that it would've been a dumb move had he got injured, but I must admit that I was cheering him on to get there.

11 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

However, with the weather they are expecting might happen in D.C. next Sunday with what will be then the remnants of Florence, expect a heavy dose of the running game again.

I'm so nervous about the field condition, and specifically AP being victim of bad weather and bad field conditions...

If it's sloppy out there, with people sliding around a lot, I think you're REALLY got to think about limiting his and CT's touches as best as you can.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm so nervous about the field condition, and specifically AP being victim of bad weather and bad field conditions...

If it's sloppy out there, with people sliding around a lot, I think you're REALLY got to think about limiting his and CT's touches as best as you can.

That might be tough, because if it is raining and windy, the Redskins will need a strong rushing attack to move the football, as the passing game might prove to problematic in such terrible conditions.

Peterson and Thompson are the two best backs on the team. I would sit them later if the game is well in hand, but we will need them early.

12 hours ago, Chachie said:

Tale of two halves today. We need more WR production. Great running game victory.

When things are going according to plan, we're not going to get much WR production.  Alex Smith doesn't pick the high option on high-low concepts.  He's conservative by nature but he also doesn't really have the arm to press up on deep defenders and make them pay for slight mistakes.

Josh Doctson is going to struggle to be productive in his system, with this QB.  He's a vertical receiver.

But the tradeoff in losing verticality in our passing game with Smith is that he opens up a nice option and scrambling dimension to the offense.  RPOs, Speed options, and the zone read are all on the table for us again.  They make our run game potent and diverse.  Good changes of pace for a smashmouth offense.  The scrambling in the passing game is great to have too.  He keeps us ahead of the chains.

I wish we had more verticality in the passing game too, because I think Richardson and Doctson are the right weapons for it.  But if the OL keeps playing well and the defense keeps dominating, we can win with our run game and methodical short passing game.

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

That might be tough, because if it is raining and windy, the Redskins will need a strong rushing attack to move the football, as the passing game might prove to problematic in such terrible conditions.

Peterson and Thompson are the two best backs on the team. I would sit them later if the game is well in hand, but we will need them early.

If it's raining and windy, at least that should work in our favor, since the Colts cant run it and Luck likes to go downfield more. 

By contrast, our team is much better built to operate in conditions since we (seemingly) can run it and have the skillset and personnel that can excel at operating underneath.  

7 hours ago, Skinarchy said:

Good.post I agree 100%.

But one thing you dont debate or even mention... Dez is an upgrade

Jay G. Has said many times and I quote

"We are always looking to improve our team" 

Dez is an upgrade to a ALREADY GOOD WR corps. 

Great win ill leave Dez talk for the Dez thread. 

HTTR!!

Dez may be an upgrade in terms of talent, but a downgrade in terms of chemistry.  We have enough weapons that spreading the ball is our best approach.  JD, PR, JC, JR, VD, and CT can all beat you in the passing game.  The way our line is blocking and the way AP is running, we are a threat to both run and pass.  Dez doesn't do "spread the ball around". He wants the offense to go thru him, and when it doesn't, he will **** about it.  His talent at this point is not worth the headache.  Pass. 

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

When things are going according to plan, we're not going to get much WR production.  Alex Smith doesn't pick the high option on high-low concepts.  He's conservative by nature but he also doesn't really have the arm to press up on deep defenders and make them pay for slight mistakes.

Josh Doctson is going to struggle to be productive in his system, with this QB.  He's a vertical receiver.

But the tradeoff in losing verticality in our passing game with Smith is that he opens up a nice option and scrambling dimension to the offense.  RPOs, Speed options, and the zone read are all on the table for us again.  They make our run game potent and diverse.  Good changes of pace for a smashmouth offense.  The scrambling in the passing game is great to have too.  He keeps us ahead of the chains.

I wish we had more verticality in the passing game too, because I think Richardson and Doctson are the right weapons for it.  But if the OL keeps playing well and the defense keeps dominating, we can win with our run game and methodical short passing game.

I think this is going to result in people being fed up with Doctson by year's end.  He'll be invisible more often than not simply by the kind of receiver he is and the QB we have.

Not to mention, expectations were probably always out of whack for what his skill set is.  His ceiling is more prime Torrey Smith than #1 WR.

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I get the sentiment, but don't agree.

Any player can get injured on any play, regardless of the weather or field conditions. Unless it's late in the game and the result is not in question then you play your best players.

Gotta let your horses run, it's what they do.

12 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

I swear there is something in me that thinks that Dez is waiting for us to go after him. I think he wants to be in the NFCE so he can face the his former team. I'm telling you, he wont give us the Browns treatment. If we bring him in, he signs. Not saying that's what I want (ok, I do), but I just feel like he really wants to be in the NFCE. 

I'm all for giving him a shot, if Trent, DJ, or one of the other clubhouse leaders can keep him in line and focused.

That's a big "IF", though! We've just had so many lockeroom cancers over the years, I'm just a bit hesitant.

Archived