Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Hmm. I don't think I agree with this if it is Haskins or Lock, necessarily. Both of those have traits to be franchise guys.

I still think the perfect scenario would be to trade 46 for Rosen (Haskins being a smokescreen) and trading from 15 to the latter parts of R1 and getting a WR and an extra 2 or 3.

You have ot have a dance partner, and we didn't get one last year when we wanted to move off #13. But we did find one in R2, so who knows.

Agreed. If we take Lock or Haskins at 15, im not sure there is much to complain about.

I have Lock above Haskins, but wouldn't be mad at either. 

Haskins would be a phenomenal pick at 15. Dunno what you all are whining about. Acting like we have a real shot at Tua next year...

Jay has always been hands off on team build. He’s a players guy and works with what the office gives him. His plan of ball control led the team to 6-2... and that’s with less than stellar play from Alex. Haskins fits the mold of a guy that won’t turn it over. I would rather trade down, and go Grier later, but Haskins is younger and the potential is higher. You can build around that. 

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Hmm. I don't think I agree with this if it is Haskins or Lock, necessarily. Both of those have traits to be franchise guys.

I still think the perfect scenario would be to trade 46 for Rosen (Haskins being a smokescreen) and trading from 15 to the latter parts of R1 and getting a WR and an extra 2 or 3.

You have ot have a dance partner, and we didn't get one last year when we wanted to move off #13. But we did find one in R2, so who knows.

There are roughly 50 better players in this draft than Haskins imo. You don't bank on things to come together for a guy to become a franchise player just to fit a need.

This is a really dumb year to force a QB. They are all so flawed. 

Anyone who likes Haskins at #15 needs to watch this tape and explain to me how a guy with this poor pocket presence/lack of poise with guys in his face, translates to being a good NFL QB. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lEIZaJRChc

Just now, Skin'emAlive said:

Haskins would be a phenomenal pick at 15. Dunno what you all are whining about. Acting like we have a real shot at Tua next year...

Jay has always been hands off on team build. He’s a players guy and works with what the office gives him. His plan of ball control led the team to 6-2... and that’s with less than stellar play from Alex. Haskins fits the mold of a guy that won’t turn it over. I would rather trade down, and go Grier later, but Haskins is younger and the potential is higher. You can build around that. 

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

There are roughly 50 better players in this draft than Haskins imo. You don't bank on things to come together for a guy to become a franchise player just to fit a need.

Anyone who likes Haskins at #15 needs to watch this tape and explain to me how a guy with this poor pocket presence/lack of poise with guys in his face, translates to being a good NFL QB. 

The MSU tape is brutal. 

1 minute ago, Morrison J said:

Hes started 1 year, so the potential is unknown. The tape isn’t that of a top 10 guy. But the numbers say he is. Give him a year behind Keenum without trading significant draft capital, and it’s a phenomena move. 

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The MSU tape is brutal. 

Yep. It's horrendous. 

Lock has some awful tape too and I don't see him as a good fit under Jay either.  You've got to be able to stand strong and composed in the pocket and pick holes in coverage to thrive under Jay. Haskins and Lock are the total opposite to what I'd call poised. Both afraid of their lives in the pocket. That stuff does not translate well to the pros.

5 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

Okay, so we have to draft one QB. Keenum and a hobbled Colt just won't cut it on the depth chart.

But I am down for being perfectly fine rolling with Keenum in 2019 and using our draft picks on building up the offensive weapons and making the defense elite.

If we used 15 on Brian Burns, 46 on Parris Campbell, 76 on Dieonte Thompson and 96 on Connor McGovern ... and maybe go Trace McSorley in the 6th ... sign me the hell up.

I think we are a 7-9 to 9-7 team and won't have a shot at an elite QB next year, but at least we have the chance to "give up the farm" with a more loaded team to move up and take one of next year's guys.

I won't argue with that route.

But I also won't blame the team for drafting Haskins if he falls to #15.

I still maintain trading for Rosen is the best move, by far.

It's interesting. Bruce Allen is pretty good in organising harvest fest and keeping trades secret. So why would this info leak? 

What do we get from spreading this rumour?

- We might like a certain player and want to hype up the QBs, so a player drops to us (non QB)

What do the Jets get?

- Interest in there pick. Make sure people panic and want to over bid for pick 3. Let's say Giants want him. They now might offer stuff to the Jets to out bid us. 

Win win for both parties. 

But If we really trade up... Let me buy an extra bottle of whiskey. 

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Hes started 1 year, so the potential is unknown. The tape isn’t that of a top 10 guy. But the numbers say he is. Give him a year behind Keenum without trading significant draft capital, and it’s a phenomena move. 

But this is the Redskins and the Redskins are dumb.  I agree with the notion to give him a year behind Keenum but we know that's not gonna happen.  As soon as Keenum performs poorly, the pressure is gonna be on to put Haskins in.

My overriding philosophy about the Redskins is that they are always living in the now and they're first worried about who they can get/what they can do to promote THIS year.  They need to have a face for a WE HAIL campaign or whatever.  They kinda had it last year with Alex Smith.  Alex Smith wasn't flashy but he was a winner, his teams always won and you can promote that.

You can't promote Case Keenum.  Case Keenum doesn't get anyone excited.  But drafting a QB in the first round stokes whatever bit of fire is left in Redskins fans.  It gets this board jumping.  It gets talk radio going.  It gets some excitement.  But that only lasts so long, you gotta play the kid.  And so if we end up drafting him, you can bet you'll see him sometime in 2019. 

21 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Silver Lining - maybe we can get a 3rd for Haskins next year when the new coach wants his own QB.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I still maintain trading for Rosen is the best move, by far.

Yes Rosen is wayy better than any of Haskins/Lock/Grier/Jones. 

We have way too many holes on both sides of the ball to force a QB at #15. That type of thing can set your franchise back years. 

@volsmet you gotta give it up bro. Rosen is not coming here for many reasons I’ve already listed. 

1. Would start on 6th offensive system since entering college

2. Signifies a win-now move with the front office. If we don’t hit the playoffs, everyone will prob be gone sending Rosen to his 6th system, with a new gm and coach who have their own vision. It will end his career. 

3. Rosen is not a guy that would mesh well with DC, personality wise

4. 5th best rookie qb last year and on a team that is rebooting after a year with a new qb is not worth more than a 3rd

5. His turnover prone nature is the reason Kirk is not here. 

6. Gruden likes his job. A win-now approach would put him on the clock. The best approach is the harbaugh approach of bringing in a rookie. It buys you time, and let’s you build around that guy without looking over your shoulder.... unless you are the Arizona Cardinals 

Just now, Morrison J said:

Yep. It's horrendous. 

Lock has some awful tape too and I don't see him as a good fit under Jay either.  You've got to be able to stand strong and composed in the pocket and pick holes in coverage to thrive under Jay. Haskins and Lock are the total opposite to what I'd call poised. Both afraid of their lives in the pocket. That stuff does not translate well to the pros.

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

@volsmet you gotta give it up bro. Rosen is not coming here for many reasons I’ve already listed. 

1. Would start on 6th offensive system since entering college

2. Signifies a win-now move with the front office. If we don’t hit the playoffs, everyone will prob be gone sending Rosen to his 6th system, with a new gm and coach who have their own vision. It will end his career. 

3. Rosen is not a guy that would mesh well with DC, personality wise

4. 5th best rookie qb last year and on a team that is rebooting after a year with a new qb is not worth more than a 3rd

5. His turnover prone nature is the reason Kirk is not here. 

6. Gruden likes his job. A win-now approach would put him on the clock. The best approach is the harbaugh approach of bringing in a rookie. It buys you time, and let’s you build around that guy without looking over your shoulder.... unless you are the Arizona Cardinals 

I-see.gif

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

My overriding philosophy about the Redskins is that they are always living in the now and they're first worried about who they can get/what they can do to promote THIS year.  They need to have a face for a WE HAIL campaign or whatever.  They kinda had it last year with Alex Smith.  Alex Smith wasn't flashy but he was a winner, his teams always won and you can promote that.

Agree with your point about them being in a pickle to try to sell something.   With Alex I think they could promote that the wheels aren't falling off by that acquisition.  Alex wasn't moving jerseys last off season.  His was one of the lowest selling QB jerseys in the league even though he was a new acquisition.  The excitement wasn't much but he's an easier sell than Keenum. The stadium attendance was down, TV ratings were down.  

As for Haskins, he's a big name, big school, sexy move.  So I think it works better than Alex superficially.  But if he ends up a bust -- how many Qbs busts can Dan oversee and still sell that he knows what he's doing?  Especially with the narrative brewing today that he might be overriding the scouts on this.   So it might get a temporary lift but long term pain if that move goes afoul.   We starting getting reports that Haskins isn't hot in camp and Keenum is clearly the superior QB for now -- which I think is likely to happen -- the concerns will creep in fast. 

But it is obvious that Dan is in a pickle.  According to Sheehan-Russell their season ticket renewals aren't going well.  Heck the Redskins are becoming fodder for shows like Good Morning Football for being a franchise that no one cares about anymore and they need to do something about it.  They just had a segment on it this week relating to how they must get a QB.  The NFL two years in a row didn't give them a Sunday Night Football game. 

And they only got one prime time game above the standard one Thursday Night game which every team got.  They have every game at 1 PM aside from the 2 prime time ones -- meaning the NFL decided the Redskins aren't good for national ratings.  They are at a low point.  We are kind of Browns status (albeit the team isn't as bad) from 2 years ago right now where the national media looks at us as having little relevance.  And obvious just about every national media guy thinks Bruce Allen is the worst GM in the league. So we don't get much benefit of the doubt.   But my gut is Haskins won't fix it.  And granted much of that is my own bias because I think Haskins has high bust potential. 

26 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Grier at 15

Possible 1st, but definitely not at 15. I could see us trading back into the 20's and thinking about it.

5 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

Lets be honest, if we take a QB at #15 its obviously with ticket sales in mind and not in the best interest of actually making a good football team. Thats why we're never going to win.

Or perhaps - and this may shock you - we currently have 2 quarterbacks in leg casts and looking forward to more surgeries, and a 3rd on a one-year vet deal.

Again I am in the camp that it's likely a smokescreen.  But if this goes down especially if they trade up -- the narrative below is going to follow that pick for awhile.  Though knowing Jay's style he would play it down and say he was on board the whole time.   Forgetting how it would look publicly, you can't have your top prospect think that your head coach wasn't into them.    Then you could have some 2012 narrative all over again -- RG3 to this day likes to say Shanny didn't want him. 

Archived