Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Blake Cashman has great range and would become nice in coverage,

I noticed he had surgery on both shoulders. Makes me wonder if thats why he goes low on his tackles. He isn't a big hitter.

They must like him because they have looked at him more than once. I imagine they are thinking if he slips to the 3rd round.

13 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So I just watched some of AJ Brown's film after DK Metcalf got hurt.  I like him more now.  They lined him up almost exclusively as an 'X' in the games I saw.

Goto 4:38.  I like this route.  Hesitation step into selling vertical stem towards the boundary side of the corner, to stopping and cutting inside.  He got the corners flips turned and then made his move.

A few plays later you see him mistime a 50/50 ball.  Awful throw turning what should be an open/uncontested catch into a jump ball contest with the safety.  He's not a jump ball guy like Doctson, Butler, Harry, JJAW.  But he does maneuver well towards open space and drifts naturally away from safety help.  I think he's got something to work with as an X receiver.

Eh, I did not really like what I saw of him on the outside.  It reinforces what I'd already felt about him: he has no verticality to his game.  You can squat down on crossing routes with him and play him very aggressively in the contact window because you don't have to worry about the vertical breaks.  And you don't need to bracket him.  I think he is definitely a slot bully at the NFL level, and little more.  He reminds me of DJ Moore in the lack of verticality to his game, but the excellence in working the middle of the field and running after the catch.  But DJ Moore is also significantly faster and more explosive than Brown, so the comparison isn't perfect.  Moore can actually take a screen or other short handoff-style throw for quite a run, whereas Ole Miss force fed Brown a thousand screens and the vast majority went for like 4 yards.

I agree with Consigliere that Brown is a high floor prospect--I think he's potentially a moderately wealthy man's Pierre Garcon.  He's an aggressive, alpha mentality player who won't play scared and ghost his offense like Doctson.  He will grind and call for the ball and work the middle of the field as well as almost anyone.  But I disagree that he's a high ceiling player.  The ceiling with Metcalf is Julio Jones or Josh Gordon.  With Butler it's Mike Evans.  With Harry it's DeAndre Hopkins.  Brown is just not in their world.  There is no way on Earth I would ever draft him before one of those three.

Finlay has been leading the parade for months that the Redskins trade up if Murray drops.  But its pretty wild to me how the three guys who IMO are typically the best sourced with the Redskins have different narratives.  Also the beat guys on the aggregate think they won't trade up and more inclined to trade down.  The national guys are all over the idea of them trading up.

Finlay's take:  they aren't trading up unless it's for Murray or maybe another QB.  He thinks they like Lock.  He thinks they'd take Hockenson if he falls.  

Hoffman:  he doesn't think they like any QB in the first sans Murray.  They are taking BPA or trading down.  He thinks if they trade down watch out for Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry he thinks they love both.  The runner up being AJ Brown. 

Keim: thinks they like Jones and Haskins but it isn't slam dunk that they take one of them.   He agrees with Hoffman that Marquise Brown is a possibility but doesn't seem to think that ends up their guy.    

Keim reveals here that they like Devin Bush.  He's been on the train for awhile that they are cool with Sean Dion Hamilton but think they can improve on him.  Even if Keim didn't say that -- that point was clear by how aggressive they pursued Mosley in FA.  Hints here they like Burns but might take Bush over him.

Sheehan thinks that Jay doesn't like Haskins.  Keim does think the FO likes Haskins.  Finlay thinks they like Lock.  Hoffman doesn't think they like Lock.   So they've successfully planted mixed info on the QBs.  The Giants are masterful on that too -- they either like or don't like this guy or that guy depending on the source.   

Aside from some of the stuff on QB which I don't know what to make of they seem to like four of my favorite prospects:  Devin Bush, Marquise Brown, Brian Burns, and N'Keal Harry.  So hopefully that's all true. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-seem-highly-unlikely-trade-top-5-unless-crazy-happens

That Jones seems a possibility at both 15 and at 23 illustrates that there is really no consensus anywhere. 

To that point, one talent evaluator said this draft holds the promise for chaos.

"It's going to be crazy."

For months, Murray seemed to be a lock to go first overall. Now, that doesn't seem like such a sure thing. The debate between Haskins and Lock has never really subsided. There is no clear-cut best wide receiver, or offensive tackle, two spots that often command picks in the Top 10. 

Anything can happen this week, and the Redskins are right in the middle of it all. They want a quarterback - Williams said so - but can't afford to mortgage the future of the franchise. 

Two nuggets to remember this week:

1. Of the last 12 quarterbacks taken in the first round, 11 were drafted by a team that traded up to get them. The only QB that a team got without trading up? Baker Mayfield, last year's No. 1 overall selection.
  2. The Redskins missed the playoffs the least three seasons. The last time that happened was 2012, when the team mortgaged the future to trade up and select Robert Griffin III.

The only real truth about the 2019 NFL Draft is that nobody knows what's going to happen.

By draft day last season, it was pretty clear the Redskins would take either Daron Payne or Vita Vea. The team needed major help on the defensive line, and those were the two best players believed to be available when Washington picked. At the top of the draft, it was clear Mayfield would go first and the Jets wanted Sam Darnold. That allowed for some stability in projecting what else would happen. 

This year, there are a million scenarios, but no clarity.

3 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Devin Bush will need shoulder surgery... just say no.

Where does this come from? Could be perfect and cause him to drop to us. When was the last time you remember an NFL prospect bombing out from his shoulders. The last one I can remember is Tony Boselli. That was an age ago. 

V

Ohio State with 3 of the 8 fastest WRs at the combine, its nearly inconceivable that the slowest of the 3 ran a 4.41. The best of Haskins is in two of these clips, the TD pass to Dixon v Purdue is a beautiful thing. 

6917854A-1996-4E69-9C75-91E2D0D1F424.jpeg

5EC86445-9AB7-4A84-97AC-FF121BD0DF72.jpeg

680366B5-E872-4181-8664-C8372AA0688E.jpeg

3AE83C56-1E36-4D8E-8980-A7A104BF455A.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Where does this come from? Could be perfect and cause him to drop to us. When was the last time you remember an NFL prospect bombing out from his shoulders. The last one I can remember is Tony Boselli. That was an age ago. 

Thomas Tyner quit football because of a shoulder injury. 

FD3F0B47-DE7A-4380-BD73-AEE8E0495CCB.gif

Dianna RussiniVerified account

@diannaESPN

As for the rumors about a Josh Rosen trade, I was told Washington does not have any plans to trade with the Cardinals per sources. It was also brought to attention that Arizona could keep Josh Rosen on the roster and trade him later in the summer if they go Murray.

She is always money.  I guess we will not be trading for Rosen.

looks like someone beat me to the first tweet below, 2nd tweet though relevant too.

For me the Michigan Ohio State turned into my biggest reversal game on two prospects.  I wasn't impressed with Devin Bush in that one so I wrote him off early.  I was impressed by Haskins and liked him early based on that game.  Then I watched more.  Now, love Devin Bush.  And Haskins to me I don't think much of now -- count me among his critics like McCloughan, Cooley and according to Sheehan -- Jay, too among others.   

I got doubts that you can have slow feet like that dude in the pocket and succeed in the NFL where you have a fierce pass rush and the matchups aren't as lopsided.   I have some doubts about Rosen but that dude can really move in the pocket.  Haskins IMO has no mobility -- I don't care how many times the NFL Network tries to defend that by showing exceptions.  Yeah all these Qbs have exceptions.  But what happens most of the time...

I hope the Haskins stuff is a smokescreen and they really like Lock and doing a nice job of misdirection. 😀

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

looks like someone beat me to the first tweet below, 2nd tweet though relevant too.

For me the Michigan Ohio State turned into my biggest reversal game on two prospects.  I wasn't impressed with Devin Bush in that one so I wrote him off early.  I was impressed by Haskins and liked him early based on that game.  Then I watched more.  Now, love Devin Bush.  And Haskins to me I don't think much of now -- count me among his critics like McCloughan, Cooley and according to Sheehan -- Jay, too among others.   I got doubts that you can have slow feet like that dude in the pocket and succeed in the NFL where you have a fierce pass rush and the match ups aren't as lopsided. 

I thought this was a interesting quote myself.

manny benton @manny_benton
FollowFollow @manny_benton
More

I thought someone turned off the faucet at #Redskins park years ago

Archived