Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

22 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Now there's Finley hype? Apparently the Top 10 QB prospects will all be taken in the first 50 picks if you believe this hype. Frankly, I do not. Let other teams make those mistakes

No hype about any 2nd tier QBs -- the ones going after the first round.  If they were hyped they'd be going top ten let alone after the first round.  I flat out said I don't think the dude is a franchise QB so not sure how that's hype. 

There is plenty of chatter from beat reporters that the Redskins will either trade for Rosen or take a QB in this draft.  More reporters (including Hoffman) believe that the QB is going down in the 2nd round or after as opposed to the first.  So conversation about these 2nd tier QBs might be relevant.  I was saying among those guys, Finley is my favorite.

If it were up to me I wouldn't bother with a QB unless its with the first pick and unless they loved the dude.  But since its not up to me, i am just reading tea leaves.  And on that front, I think guys like Finley, Grier or whomever might be relevant next Friday. 😀

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

All I want, roughly in this order, is...

QB

WR

LG

TE

FS

ILB

Depth and Special Teams

And in some cases, multiple players at the positions.

And they all have to be studs.

Is that too much to ask ?

Lucky you! You might get them in just that order! I was just looking at who we brought in for interviews. I think we will almost assuredly take an OL, a WR and a QB with 3 of our first 4 picks. The only defenders we brought in are guys expected to be there in the mid to later rounds. 

https://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

My latest mock:

1)  AZ-Murray

2)  SF-Bosa

3)  NJ-Q. Williams (think he's more highly rated vs Allen.  NYJ want to trade down but don't find a dance partner)

4)  Oak-Allen (whomever is not taken at 3 goes at 4)

5)  TB-White (I could see them trading up to get Allen to be honest)

6)  NYG-Daniel Jones (I have no idea where they'll go here.  Gettleman doesn't care what others think and he goes with his conviction)

7)  Jags-Taylor (Easy pick here.  Hockenson is an option)

8.  ***TRADE***Atlanta-Ed Oliver (Falcons trade #14+#79+2020 3rd for #8) (ATL jumps the Bills to get Oliver.  Lions want to trade down and there are rumors that they are motivated to do so)

9)  Bills-TJ Hockenson (Helps in the run game and in the pass game with Josh Allen)

10)  Denver-Devin Bush (Elway gives Fagio an athletic LB that his system needs)

11)  Bengals-Drew Lock (I think they want a QB of the future and Taylor prefers Lock over Haskins)

12)  ***TRADE***Houston-Andre Dillard (Texans trade #23+#54 for #12)-Pursuant to DJ's tweet, I buy the rumor that Houston wants to move up.  Dillard fits their scheme as an athletic LT.  GB traded down last year and trades down again this year)

13)  Miami-Jonah Williams-James Left in FA.  Williams will start at RT.  If not, he'll be a darn good guard.  Wilkins could be an option here as well.

14)  Detroit (From Atlanta)-Greedy Williams (Suprise!  Patricia's defense is predicated on excellent CB play.  Greedy is the best man corner in the draft.  CB is arguably their #1 need)

15)  ***TRADE***Titans (Titans trade #19+#82 for #15)-Montez Sweat (He falls due to his medical issue.  Have no idea where he'll go.  Titans move up to get much needed edge rusher to ensure Panthers don't take him)

16)  Carolina-Clelin Ferrell (Better fit vs Burns)

17)  Giants-Rashan Gary (They draft size and speed.  Fits their profile vs Burns)

18)  Minnesota-Garrett Bradbury (Excellent fit for new OC Kubiak's scheme)

19)  Redskins (from Titans)-Brian Burns (Edge Rusher is a huge need)

20)  ***TRADE***Chargers-Dexter Lawrence (Bolts trade #28+#91 for #20)-NT is their #1 need.  Pittsburgh doesn't have great options here and decides to trade down to get an extra 3rd.

21) ***TRADE***NE-Christian Wlkins (NE trades #32+#73 for #21)-Too good to slide any further.  DL is a big need.  Its a stone cold lock Seattle trades down.  They only have 4 picks and they do it every year).

22)  Ravens-DK Metcalf (have no idea where he's going.  WR is the #1 need for Baltimore)

23)  GB (From Houston)-Noah Fant (Gives Rodgers a weapon at TE)

24)  Oakland-Jeffrey Simmons (Lombardi has him as the best player in the draft.  They'll redshirt him)

25)  Eagles-Rock Ya Sin (Takes the local kid)

26)  Indy-Byron Murphy (Fits their zone scheme)

27)  Oakland-Haskins (takes a chance on the sliding Haskins.  If nothing else, he's insurance)

28)  Pittsburgh (from Chargers)-Marquise Brown (too much value at this point in the draft)

29)  KC-DeAndre Baker (CB is their #1 need)

30)  GB-Dalton Risner (gets the edge over Lidstrom due to ability to play tackle)

31)  Rams-Jonathan Abram (Savage could here as well)

32)  Seattle (from NE)-Savage (he'd be a great fit for them at S to replace Earl Thomas)

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No hype about any 2nd tier QBs -- the ones going after the first round.  If they were hyped they'd be going top ten let alone after the first round.  I flat out said I don't think the dude is a franchise QB so not sure how that's hype. 

There is plenty of chatter from beat reporters that the Redskins will either trade for Rosen or take a QB in this draft.  More reporters (including Hoffman) believe that the QB is going down in the 2nd round or after as opposed to the first.  So conversation about these 2nd tier QBs might be relevant.  I was saying among those guys, Finley is my favorite.

If it were up to me I wouldn't bother with a QB unless its with the first pick and unless they loved the dude.  But since its not up to me, i am just reading tea leaves.  And on that front, I think guys like Finley, Grier or whomever might be relevant next Friday. 😀

Yeah, but there's quotes in this thread about Finley going "high second" or Grier going "late first" and that's not counting Murray, Haskins, Lock, or Daniel Jones. If you believe these things (and I don't), then who's left for the Redskins in the second round? Really just posting the ludicrousness of it all. I get that it's a QB happy league, but if 6 QBs go in the first 40 picks, that's: (1) some serious overdrafting; and (2) one of the best QB classes in NFL history.

Generally, I hope the Redskins don't go QB in the second round. It seems whoever they take will be a serious overdraft as the real 2nd round talents are being pushed in the first round. Why pick a 3rd or 4th round talent in the 2nd? Seems like a poor allocation of resources and extremely unlikely to actually pan out. If you're going to buy a lottery ticket and pick a QB, maybe use a pick of less value.

10 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Yeah, but there's quotes in this thread about Finley going "high second" or Grier going "late first" and that's not counting Murray, Haskins, Lock, or Daniel Jones. If you believe these things (and I don't), then who's left for the Redskins in the second round? Really just posting the ludicrousness of it all. I get that it's a QB happy league, but if 6 QBs go in the first 40 picks, that's: (1) some serious overdrafting; and (2) one of the best QB classes in NFL history.

Generally, I hope the Redskins don't go QB in the second round. It seems whoever they take will be a serious overdraft as the real 2nd round talents are being pushed in the first round. Why pick a 3rd or 4th round talent in the 2nd? Seems like a poor allocation of resources and extremely unlikely to actually pan out. If you're going to buy a lottery ticket and pick a QB, maybe use a pick of less value.

Agree with your point.  But I do think some 2nd tier QBs go early 2nd.  My thought though is even early 2nd doesn't really translate to much hype even in the context of them going higher in the draft than some expected.   Any QB that's not taking in the first half of the first round IMO are naturally fliers.  But I agree I wouldn't use my 2nd rounder on any QB.  But I think they actually might.  Will see. 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't dislike Lock.  I think he's Jared Goff with more arm strength but less touch, particularly on rip throws down the seams.  You can win a Superbowl with a Jared Goff.  I just like Haskins more than him.  If either one of them is there at 15, you have to take them.

Sometimes I think we get way too nitpicky with these stud QB prospects, letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, and adopting a perpetual grass is greener mindset.  The most important thing about these kids is whether or not they can carry the heavy burden of leading an NFL team, not whether or not they can run X, Y, and Z types of offense.  Now obviously, that burden gets easier the more talented you are, but there is actually a very wide variety of successful playing styles at the QB position in the NFL today.  You can still build a really good offense around certain kinds of limitations at the position.

giphy.gif

I’ll put our ES war room up against Washington’s & like our chances. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've said this months back, the one QB we don't hear a lot of talk about is Finley linked to the Redskins (though he did do a visit).  We hear some chatter with them linked to other QBs.  Finley not so much.  Wonder if that's on purpose. 

Finley to me checks some boxes.  He's relatively pro ready.  He's smart.  He has some athleticism.  He fits a WCO. He doesn't panic with pressure in his face like so many QBs in this draft especially among the 2nd tier guys.   You won't have to give up your first to get him.  He reminds me some of Dalton.   

I don't love Finley.  But for me among the 2nd tier QBs he has the highest floor and he'd be my pick if they are picking a QB among that next tier.  

I love Boston College Finley, but was disappointed with him in other games, I don’t see a future difference maker so I’d rather take a shot on Jackson in an increasingly more wide open league than Finley. Right now I like Rypien over Finley, but the distinction isn’t significant.

Rosen

Lock

Haskins

Or

Wait for 2020.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sometimes I think we get way too nitpicky with these stud QB prospects, letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, and adopting a perpetual grass is greener mindset.  The most important thing about these kids is whether or not they can carry the heavy burden of leading an NFL team, not whether or not they can run X, Y, and Z types of offense.  Now obviously, that burden gets easier the more talented you are, but there is actually a very wide variety of successful playing styles at the QB position in the NFL today.  You can still build a really good offense around certain kinds of limitations at the position.

I think it's also important to consider what aspects of a young QB's game can be developed, rather than looking at the prospect as the final product.

Are his key flaws also things that proper coaching - and NFL experience - can improve ? That is one of the major questions.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lol.  I haven't left Lock.  Heck I am even willing to crash the Rosen love fest on the QB thread from some including at times you -- where I am brave enough to say I like Lock better than Rosen. :ols:  Though as I stated on that thread am OK with a Rosen trade if it doesn't include the first rounder.

REW LOCK, Missouri (6-3 ½, 227, 4.67, 1-2): Started 46 of 50 games over four years. “He probably has the most up side of any guy in this draft,” said one scout. “He can move, run, scramble. Got a nice release, a flexible arm. He’s played against elite competition and had to do it with an inferior team whereas Dwayne (Haskins) has never had an inferior team … I wish the consistency was a little better. He did play in a more pro-style concept (in 2018). His completion percentage jumped. The bad throws came down. He learned how to play ball-control offense as more of a point guard. I love the athletic stuff.” Improved each year, finishing with a passer rating of 93.0. “You could take him in the first,” a second scout said. “He has up side, arm talent and he’s a good athlete. Good kid. But he’s not there yet. I’d be scared having to play him much in his first year. In last year’s class he would have been the fifth guy. Now he’s probably the third but might be the second.” Great high-school basketball player in Lee’s Summit, Mo. “Oh, man, he’s a mess,” a third scout said. “He’s got all these yards (12,193) and everything but he has system production. Doesn’t make many NFL throws. He’s got OK command. If he gets to his first guy he’s good. After that he doesn’t have good vision. He is very soft in the pocket. When he gets pressure he just shies away and gets rid of the ball. Doesn’t stand in there. Just throws the ball up. Very scattered. Fumbles.” Wonderlic of 26. Just 9-inch hands.

I won't forget Lock ...

When I see your list at 15 & it excludes Lock, I get a little insecure, sometimes I just want to be reminded that Lock is loved too. 

giphy.gif

I do prefer Rosen, but I see him as a guy with top 5 upside, limited downside...and I have every snap of his in the nfl from 15,000 angels ... nfl film, on a 21 year old, makes the brilliant moments impossible for me to ignore. 

I'm going to try and watch him some before the draft.  Have to spend the holiday with my family, and I don't imagine there are condensed cut ups for him, so it'll take a minute to watch his game.  It's fun to watch NFL caliber linemen run around at the FCS level.

giphy.gif

Circling back around to Yodny Cajuste, the more I think about him, the more I think he goes in the first 50 picks.  Having that kind of speed paired with that amount of power and arm length is such a tempting package of traits.  He can get away with lunging and other failures of technique because of how strong and explosive he is.  Resets his feet very quickly while sustaining the block.

I think that if you paired his level of natural talent with Bill Callahan's superior teaching, you could end up with a really fine player by Yodny's second season.  His placement in the offensive line rankings is really interesting.  Right now, this is kind of what I'm thinking for the first two rounds:

1 - Dillard - Smooth athleticism + upper body strength + good hands + good length + TONS of experience > lack of nastiness.  Feels like the most talented OL prospect in the class.

2 - Taylor - Very good right tackle prospect who could also end up being the best guard in the class.

3 - Williams - Can probably start at either tackle or guard as a rookie.  Very clean prospect, but the upside isn't as high as it is with Ford, Taylor, and Dillard.

4 - Ford - Has some bad film but has so many traits that you want--power, footspeed, size, & aggression.

5 - McCoy - Can probably start at guard or center as a rookie.  Has plus power and anchor strength for a center prospect.

6 - Lindstrom - explosive guard and tackle prospect, but functional power and anchor strength are average.  Needs to develop his slender base.

7 - Cajuste - Much less developed than the other high end OLs, and there are multiple issues in his medical history, but his upside is very high

8 - Risner - Solid lateral speed and length, good technique, great toughness and intangibles.  Got worked by Sweat though.  Has trouble with athleticism. 

9 - Bradbury - Elite athlete with great film but must go to a team with an opening at center.  Doesn't have the size to hold up at guard.

10 - Howard - High upside, needs to build his body for the NFL first.  Slender legs and lots of sloppy bulk on the torso.  Has the speed to excel at tackle.

11 - Jenkins - Pure power center who is a rock in pass protection and who should be able to play guard too.

Wouldn't be surprised if a 12th or 13th guy cracked the top 64 too, but I feel those 11 are worthy of that draft range.  If any of them are still available in the third, they offer really good value.

Every time I look at the Oline class it gets deeper. The high end isn’t as obvious as some of the guys next year, but the legitimate depth is absurd. 

Mcgary is an additional round 1 possibly.

Then in round 3-4 there are another 15 guys you can easily make a case for, Roemer, Forbes, Davis, McGovern... eh, it’s just a deep class. This is going to be a great draft week.

1 - I didn't even know that AOL was still in service.

2 - How in the hell has he kept one of those old dot matrix printers working all of these years? 

3 - And please, please tell me that the dial up modem noises were just sound effects added in post production.

I was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop out. 🤔

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've seen this now a few times and mentioned it here before that Houston could be a good trading partner if one of the O lineman drops.  Who knows but just heard in a draft podcast that Cody Ford might go top 15.  Even if that's not true, if the O lineman start going quick wonder if the Texans get nervous and trade up.  Granted they can trade up even earlier than 15.

Unpopular with some, and understandably so, but I’d have shipped Trent to Houston for the finest meats & cheeses. They’d kill to have him & he didn’t help our QBs stay particularly healthy anyway.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Re: the Alabama vs A&M video that @volsmet posted, the LG #73 looks like an NFL prospect.  Extremely fast and explosive athlete.  Significant play strength and contact balance issues.

Alabama's secondary is so fearsome.  What's the consensus on Saivion Smith?  Mid rounder?

I don’t have a clue who #73 is 🤔

#5, Carter Shyheim, was killing people in that TXAM game. 

Brutal workouts for Smith.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

All I want, roughly in this order, is...

QB

WR

LG

TE

FS

ILB

Depth and Special Teams

And in some cases, multiple players at the positions.

And they all have to be studs.

And that's all I ask.

Is that too much to ask ?

Lock

Butler

Davis

Stern

Harris

Pratt

Vols

43 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Pratt

Im a big fan of drafting Pratt in the 3rd provided we are able to trade down from #15 and pick up an extra 2nd. Pratt and Foster would be a versatile ilb core. However, I would also highly consider using the high 3rd on JoeJuan Williams.

JoeJuan Williams, DB Vanderbilt

6'4"  210 lbs

Image result for joejuan williams

This guy would be our eventual replacement for Norman, as Norman transitions into a free safety in a few years. Like Josh, JoeJuan is known for his intelligence and relentlessness. He doesnt have the lateral quickness of the top tier dbs in this class, but he has elite size, has extensive experience against the best teams, and has fared very well against the SEC

Image result for joejuan williams interception

“When you look at those types of players that have surreal length and athleticism, your list will be short. Extremely short. When I said ‘one in the past decade’, I truly meant that I’ve only seen one other like him in the past decade. You know where I’m going with this.”

I think he's as close to a Richard Sherman type of prospect as you are going to get

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Im a big fan of drafting Pratt in the 3rd provided we are able to trade down from #15 and pick up an extra 2nd. Pratt and Foster would be a versatile ilb core. However, I would also highly consider using the high 3rd on JoeJuan Williams.

JoeJuan Williams, DB Vanderbilt

6'4"  210 lbs

This guy would be our eventual replacement for Norman, as Norman transitions into a free safety in a few years. Like Josh, JoeJuan is known for his intelligence and relentlessness. He doesnt have the lateral quickness of the top tier dbs in this class, but he has elite size, has extensive experience against the best teams, and has fared very well against the SEC

I think he's as close to a Richard Sherman type of prospect as you are going to get

He wasn’t good enough to get an offer from the discerning eye of Butch Jones.

7601124.gif

Personally, Id lean more towards JoeJuan with the high 3rd and then draft Ben Burr Kiven on day 3.

Ben Burr Kirven, LB Washington

6' 222lbs

Image result for ben burr kirven

Ben Burr-Kirven tackled more players in 2018 than anyone else in the NFL Draft, or in all of FBS. The Washington middle linebacker’s 176 total tackles were 18 clear of the next-highest total in the country. They were more than anyone put up in a season since 2011, when Boston College’s Luke Kuechly had 191 before going on to an All-Pro career.

Yes, hes on the shorter side of the lb spectrum, and more importantly, his arm length is lacking, possibly resulting in missed tackles. Also, he gobbled up a large percentage of his tackles on the defensive side of the ball, rather than the backfield. But imo, if you are running a nickle-base D or a 3-4 set, having instinctive and fast interior lb's that can play the pass is paramount. This guy was a track athlete before becoming a linebacker. He's very fast and has a strong nose for the football. 

41 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Yes, hes on the shorter side of the lb spectrum, and more importantly, his arm length is lacking, possibly resulting in missed tackles. Also, he gobbled up a large percentage of his tackles on the defensive side of the ball, rather than the backfield. But imo, if you are running a nickle-base D or a 3-4 set, having instinctive and fast interior lb's that can play the pass is paramount. This guy was a track athlete before becoming a linebacker. He's very fast and has a strong nose for the football

His role as a MIKE in Washington won't translate directly to the NFL level.  I think he's a definite WILL, but the problem is he gets stuck to climbing guards and gets moved out of his fit pretty easily, and then he's just playing pursuit the whole time.  That's why his tackles are usually downfield.  He simply doesn't have the size and strength to battle in his gap inside the tackle box.

Very slippery player though.  I notice that he draws an uncalled yet blatant hold about once a series.  But he's got such a squatty build and his contact balance is surprisingly good, so he keeps his feet and stays in position to chase the play outside of his area.

Part of me thinks this guy is a box safety, but that's kind of a significant transition to make in terms of the challenge of his coverage assignments.  Usually guys go from safety to linebacker, not vice versa.  So instead I'm thinking WILL with a two gapping five tech in front of him, so that he can spend his time running to the ball instead of being anchored to a gap.

I think he starts as a back up and special teamer in order to claim a roster spot.  Then maybe he gets a chance to overachieve and find his way onto the field for the right team.  I think he's probably an early to mid day three pick.  Early fifth feels right for him.  I prefer Te'Von Coney over him, if both are available.  Coney is a bruiser who plays bigger than his size, and he can play multiple positions in the stack.

IIRC, I was the first to bring up Joejuan and Burr-Kirven - and I’m definitely a fan of both.  Will backer makes a lot of sense for BBK, though he added 8 pounds pre-Combine and still put up pretty awesome scores.  I tend to agree about starting on teams and perhaps earning a starting spot, but I think his speed/burst/coverage means he won’t make it just by ‘overachieving’ (IMO).  

lb_2019.jpg

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/12/18304845/finding-the-superior-athlete-sparq-linebackers-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

(apologies for the source, lol)

Loved watching Joejuan - you can tell he’s confident in his body to throw himself into the run game - a problem with a bunch of dbs I’ve watched.  Good hands and instincts in zone I think and fantastic size to fudge throwing windows.  Surprisingly fluid too for that size.

Now, the problem I have with him is how often he got beat, caught up to the receiver and got his length in the way to prevent catches.  Obviously it’s good that he has the long speed to catch up and the length to get in the way, but 1) that could change in the NFL with better speed, bigger receivers and better qb play, and 2) he ‘gets in the way’ vs getting his head around.  Did a good job avoiding PI calls, but lots of close calls.  

If he gets better at getting his head turned in the pros, I think he could be an outright stud at the next level.  

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

When I see your list at 15 & it excludes Lock, I get a little insecure, sometimes I just want to be reminded that Lock is loved too. 

...I do prefer Rosen, but I see him as a guy with top 5 upside, limited downside...and I have every snap of his in the nfl from 15,000 angels ... nfl film, on a 21 year old, makes the brilliant moments impossible for me to ignore. 

I am somewhat different on those two as to their potential.  But I am not that far apart from you as for selecting either one.   I've said on this thread multiple times if they take Lock at 15, I wouldn't hate it, I'd go on that ride without complaining.  I am just not so sure the dude is the goods where I'd roll the dice on him over some other prospects I like.    But if they believe in him that way, I could see the logic.  I'd be cool with it. 

I think Lock potentially could be a star and conversely could be a bust.  I don't think Rosen has star in him -- his peak IMO is in the 8-12 range of QBs and he also conversely has bust in him IMO. 

Rosen IMO doesn't have the arm, the athleticism or the ability to throw on the move (all traits that are arguably becoming a bigger deal in today's NFL) to be a top 5 QB even if he reaches his full potential.   Lock on the other hand has some Mahomes like qualities that if he could hone those skills and improve on them, he could be special.

The answer about both could be somewhere in between.  I don't think the Lock comps to Stafford are out of line.    As for Rosen, he could be like a poor man's Matt Ryan maybe.    I could be wrong but of all things relating to Lock and Rosen -- the thing I am most confident in is that Rosen will not be a star QB.    Why am I cool then trading a 2nd rounder for him?  Part of it is I think a pick is going for a QB whether I like it or not.  And among the choices after the first round, Rosen would be my top guy.  Also, I do think he'd capable of being like a 10-15 type QB and if so that's better than what we got.

I would be more excited about Lock as opposed to Rosen.  But I'd have concerns about both.  But cool with Lock at 15 if they go that route.  And cool with a 2nd rounder for Rosen if they do that. 

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree with your point.  But I do think some 2nd tier QBs go early 2nd.  My thought though is even early 2nd doesn't really translate to much hype even in the context of them going higher in the draft than some expected.   Any QB that's not taking in the first half of the first round IMO are naturally fliers.  But I agree I wouldn't use my 2nd rounder on any QB.  But I think they actually might.  Will see. 

My problem is the 2nd tier QBs are Lock and Jones. But somehow most people think they'll go in the first.  Having 6 QBs go in the first 45 (or so) picks would be virtually unheard of. 2011 would be the last draft that happened (1999 would be the time before that if you count Shuan King at 50) and most of those QBs sucked. Newton (who went first overall in 2011) is good, but Andy Dalton's the only other QB who's even decent and he's less than inspiring. And that circles back to what we both agree on. Team may be desperate for QBs, but it's not like college is producing more good QBs. So essentially teams are just forcing bad picks based on supply and demand.

Archived