Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

7 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I like Lock too although I see Haskins as being a little safer in terms of what you are going to get, the Accuracy 70% to Locks 56.9% in their college careers.

Lock has the Moxie and prob more upside I'd say, but I think Haskins floor is higher if given some time to marinate. I'd be totally fine with either at 15 if Jay wants one.  I'd love Rosen for next years 2nd or this years if that's what it takes. Between the 3 I think I'd take Rosen, given the $ and that he got a yr of experience under him.  I just think that if it ever really clicks for him he could be really really good.

Tough IMO to fault a guy for playing 4 years which is what we are doing when we grade Lock that way -- he played as freshman, sophomore, etc.  Actually going through all of that is if anything seen as a plus -- Lock's experience starting let alone playing with multiple cooridinators should make him more pro ready.  Typically you look for progress over time.  And with Lock you got it.  63% his last year.  I saw one person quote a scout who said for a college QB he looks among other things for a season with a 63% or higher completion rate, 3:1 TD ratio and a strong YPA -- Lock did just that his senior year.  He had a high YPA-TD-INT ratio junior year, too.   If Haskins played when he was a freshman, etc I'd guess his completion rate would be less among other things.

The biggest thing that strikes me watching both play -- is that no way Haskins has these stats playing for Missouri. Conversely, Lock's numbers would be stronger playing for Ohio State.

Personally I think you assume some risk with both players -- Haskins though IMO is the riskier pick.   Lock has IMO more modern day skill sets for the NFL -- mainly the dude can move around in the pocket and while he can improve under pressure he's better at dealing with it IMO than Haskins.    Shows like Path to the Draft can keep showing the outlier segments where you got a good move or two from Haskins in the pocket but if you watch the full games it gives a different vibe -- from my observation he is mostly stationary with slow feet.    It's like brining back Drew Bledsoe to the modern NFL.  I didn't know until recently that some have questioned whether Haskins will keep himself in good enough shape in the NFL.   Some questioned his discipline on that front.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2019-several-teams-giants-may-prefer-drew-lock-over-dwayne-haskins/7zzdzamesp441x2yq8u691ht2

"There are few people in the league that I talk to that do quarterbacks, that I trust, and a lot of them are saying Lock over Haskins on some boards," Schrager told the "Rich Eisen Show" on Wednesday. "And that might drive Ohio State fans crazy and that might be wrong when all is said and done, because all it takes is one team, but Lock quietly had a really good Senior Bowl, had an OK Combine but was awesome in the meetings with teams and then blew everyone away at his pro day. Haskins has done well, but he hasn't stolen that, 'Hey, I'm the No. 2 hands-down guy.'

"Lock started for 3 1/2 years, played four years at Missouri, has seen all sorts of offenses and if you look at what the Giants have drafted historically, it's sure things. Dave Gettleman doesn't like to roll on a thing that he isn't sure on. This guy has a body of work, has the body type and I actually think Lock might fit the Giants more than Haskins who started one year in college and is still a bit of a prospect."

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/qb-question-todd-mcshay-suggests-nfl-teams-viewing-drew-lock-as-better-option-than-dwayne-haskins/

QB Question: Todd McShay suggests NFL teams viewing Drew Lock as better option than Dwayne Haskins

16 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Good stuff there.  I bring the receiver component of that article here.  I am hoping the Giants take Daniel Jones but I won't lose sleep over Haskins.  Schrager thinks they like Lock over Haskins.  But am cool with the Giants taking Haskins.   I think Haskins is better than Jones.  Haskins has a rifle and Jones doesn't.   But neither one makes me lose any sleep.  And I hope they have to trade up some to get their guy. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2831952-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-biggest-insider-rumors-of-the-2019-nfl-draft

The Scout's Report

• One of the burning questions in the NFL is where the wide receivers will come off the board. The expectation, after speaking to multiple scouts and executives, is that one (Marquise Brown) is a surefire first-rounder with one or two others (D.K. Metcalf, A.J. Brown) possibly going in the top 32. 

3ce0d4727550975a6b9fe33fcc70d719_crop_ex
Sue Ogrocki/Associated Press

This means many receivers could fly off the board when the second round starts. Deebo Samuel, N'Keal Harry, Parris Campbell and Hakeem Butler are the next guys up.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good stuff there.  I bring the receiver component of that article here.  I am hoping the Giants take Daniel Jones but I won't lose sleep over Haskins.  Schrager thinks they like Lock over Haskins.  But am cool with the Giants taking Haskins.   I think Haskins is better than Jones.  Haskins has a rifle and Jones doesn't.   But neither one makes me lose any sleep.  And I hope they have to trade up some to get their guy. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2831952-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-biggest-insider-rumors-of-the-2019-nfl-draft

The Scout's Report

• One of the burning questions in the NFL is where the wide receivers will come off the board. The expectation, after speaking to multiple scouts and executives, is that one (Marquise Brown) is a surefire first-rounder with one or two others (D.K. Metcalf, A.J. Brown) possibly going in the top 32. 

3ce0d4727550975a6b9fe33fcc70d719_crop_ex
Sue Ogrocki/Associated Press

This means many receivers could fly off the board when the second round starts. Deebo Samuel, N'Keal Harry, Parris Campbell and Hakeem Butler are the next guys up.

I hope the Giants take a QB at 6 ignoring the DL and OL talent in front of them. Heck I hope 4 QB's are gone by pick 15.

My preference would be Jones or Haskins over Lock.

WR's will be interesting to see how they run. There may not be any off the board by 15 and by our second round pick there could be 8 gone. 

Campbell and DK are all over the place with mocks. I wouldn't take either in the first round. Butler is a wild card, I think he goes earlier than many boards show, same with Isabella.

I've been looking at our visits from 2017 and 2018, and it looks like we are relatively transparent. We tend to draft by position relatively proportionately to who we brought in for visits, and in accordance with their relative draft range. For instance, if we bring in mid to late round ILB prospects, we tend to take a mid to late round ILB. If we bring in top 15 DT prospects, we tend to take a top DT. We also draft a lot of players we have brought in for visits. Ryan Anderson, Da"ron Payne, Derrius Guice, Tim Settle. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/4/7/17204888/redskins-draft-visits-workouts-rumors-nfl

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793062/article/2017-nfl-draft-rumors-connecting-players-nfc-east-teams

Based on that fact, look at the list below:

https://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

WAS.gif Washington Redskins
  • Jesse Aniebonam, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Maryland (PRI)
  • Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri (EW)
  • David Blough, QB, Purdue (EW)
  • A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss (PRI)
  • Hakeen Butler, WR, Iowa State (PRI)
  • Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Blake Cashman^, ILB, Minnesota (COM, PRI)
  • Davion Davis, WR, Sam Houston State (WOR)
  • Nate Davis, OT, Charlotte (PRI)
  • Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State (PRI)
  • Jon Duhart, WR, Old Dominion (EW)
  • Chuma Edoga, OT, USC (SR)
  • Jordan Ellis, RB, Virginia (EW)
  • Ryan Finley^, QB, N.C. State (COM, PRI)
  • Cody Ford, OT/G, Oklahoma (COM)
  • Travis Fulgham, WR, Old Dominion (LOC)
  • Carl Granderson, DE/3-4OLB, Wyoming (SR)
  • Will Grier^, QB, West Virginia (COM, PRO, PRI)
  • Kelvin Harmon, WR, N.C. State (COM)
  • Darius Harris, ILB, Middle Tennessee (PRI)
  • Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Jesper Horstead, WR, Princeton (EW)
  • Tytus Howard^, OT, Alabama State (SR, PRI)
  • KeeSean Johnson, WR, Fresno State (EW)
  • Daniel Jones^, QB, Duke (COM, PRI)
  • Nick Linder, C, Indiana (EW)
  • Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College (PRI)
  • Drew Lock^, QB, Missouri (PRO, PRI)
  • Kaleb McGary, OT, Washington (PRI)
  • D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss (COM)
  • Adrian Middleton, DT, Kentucky (WOR)
  • Foster Moreau, TE, LSU (SR)
  • Brandon Murphy, OT, Memphis (WOR)
  • Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma (PRI)
  • Chris Peace, OLB, Virginia (EW)
  • Ryan Pope, OT, San Diego State (PRO)
  • Dalton Risner^, OT, Kansas State (SR, PRI)
  • Tyler Roemer, OT, San Diego State (PRO)
  • Dru Samia, G, Oklahoma (SR)
  • Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina (COM)
  • David Sills, WR, West Virginia (SR)
  • Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse (EW)
  • Jaylen Smith, WR, Louisville (SR)
  • Jarrett Stidham^, QB, Auburn (COM, PRI)
  • Sione Takitaki, OLB, Brigham Young (EW)
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida (COM)
  • Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo (EW)
  • Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern (PRI)
  • Tre Watson, ILB, Maryland (EW)
  • Trevon Wesco, FB, West Virginia (SR)
  • Kevin Wilkins, DT, Rutgers (EW)
  • Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama (PRI)
  • Renell Wren, DT/3-4DE, Arizona State (SR)
  • Terry Wright, WR, Purdue (EW)
  • Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple (SR)

Looking at that list, we are not going defense in the 1st/2nd. The highest ranked defensive prospect that we brought in was Rock Ya Sin. We are drafting QB, OL, WR, not necessarily in that order. As much as I'd like to see another impact defender, I am preparing myself to see us draft offense early and often. 

On 4/19/2019 at 7:30 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

McGinn talking to scouts on some of the Qbs we've been discussing.  On Haskins you can see they are all over the place.  On Grier, yeah as I was commenting the other day, Ryan Fitzpatrick to me.  Really streaky.  Can they reigned that in?  Got no idea.  But if they aren't giving up a first and Jay wants him, I'd go for the ride without complaining.  Though Finley remains my favorite of the 2nd tier type QBs.

DWAYNE HASKINS, Ohio State (6-3 ½, 229, 5.02,  “.....He’s not a runner. Being a black guy people think he’s going to be an athlete-runner. He’s not, but he has good feet. He’s far from a statue. The guy can throw the ball. Holy hell. Big-time arm. Accurate. He’s just not ready to be an NFL starter.” Turns 22 a week after the draft. Played eight games off the bench in 2017, igniting a comeback victory at Michigan in relief of injured J.T. Barrett, and started 14 games in ’18. Third-year sophomore bypassed his final two seasons. He reminded me of Steve McNair (6-1 1/2, 225), and it wasn’t because McNair was black,” another scout said. “He didn’t have great speed, either, but he knew how to move around in the pocket. ......

A scout actually said this about McNair?  If he was my scout I'd fire him.  He wasn't a Vick or Griffin but McNair in fact did have great speed - 4.5 in the 40 and was one of the best running QBs in the league when he played.

A more apt comparison would be Rothlisberger imo.

5 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

With woodrum coming in I can't help but to think its to use keenum as trade bate to get Rosen..trade keenum one of our 3's and maybe a 3rd from next year to get Rosen.

No if that were the case Cards could have acted to get Keenum themselves. IMO - A more likely player trade scenario (and less popular for us fans) is Ionnidas for Rosen - straight up maybe.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/4/20/18508000/projected-top-10-pick-montez-sweat-found-to-have-unusual-heart-condition

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826241-2019-nfl-draft-rumors-montez-sweat-diagnosed-with-heart-condition

I hadn't previously read what Montez Sweat's medical issue is. I would think that Maurice Hurst's productivity as a rookie status as a draft steal might help Montez. 

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

No if that were the case Cards could have acted to get Keenum themselves. IMO - A more likely player trade scenario (and less popular for us fans) is Ionnidas for Rosen - straight up maybe.

Even though we just signed him to a three-year extension?

7 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Even though we just signed him to a three-year extension?

Exactly Cards have a QB where they have to eat cap space maybe they came to an agreement already with the Skins for Iaonnidas if we ate his cap space.  It's just conjecture.

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I've been looking at our visits from 2017 and 2018, and it looks like we are relatively transparent. We tend to draft by position relatively proportionately to who we brought in for visits, and in accordance with their relative draft range. For instance, if we bring in mid to late round ILB prospects, we tend to take a mid to late round ILB. If we bring in top 15 DT prospects, we tend to take a top DT. We also draft a lot of players we have brought in for visits. Ryan Anderson, Da"ron Payne, Derrius Guice, Tim Settle. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/4/7/17204888/redskins-draft-visits-workouts-rumors-nfl

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793062/article/2017-nfl-draft-rumors-connecting-players-nfc-east-teams

https://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

WAS.gif Washington Redskins
  • Jesse Aniebonam, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Maryland (PRI)
  • Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri (EW)
  • David Blough, QB, Purdue (EW)
  • A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss (PRI)
  • Hakeen Butler, WR, Iowa State (PRI)
  • Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Blake Cashman^, ILB, Minnesota (COM, PRI)
  • Davion Davis, WR, Sam Houston State (WOR)
  • Nate Davis, OT, Charlotte (PRI)
  • Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State (PRI)
  • Jon Duhart, WR, Old Dominion (EW)
  • Chuma Edoga, OT, USC (SR)
  • Jordan Ellis, RB, Virginia (EW)
  • Ryan Finley^, QB, N.C. State (COM, PRI)
  • Cody Ford, OT/G, Oklahoma (COM)
  • Travis Fulgham, WR, Old Dominion (LOC)
  • Carl Granderson, DE/3-4OLB, Wyoming (SR)
  • Will Grier^, QB, West Virginia (COM, PRO, PRI)
  • Kelvin Harmon, WR, N.C. State (COM)
  • Darius Harris, ILB, Middle Tennessee (PRI)
  • Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Jesper Horstead, WR, Princeton (EW)
  • Tytus Howard^, OT, Alabama State (SR, PRI)
  • KeeSean Johnson, WR, Fresno State (EW)
  • Daniel Jones^, QB, Duke (COM, PRI)
  • Nick Linder, C, Indiana (EW)
  • Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College (PRI)
  • Drew Lock^, QB, Missouri (PRO, PRI)
  • Kaleb McGary, OT, Washington (PRI)
  • D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss (COM)
  • Adrian Middleton, DT, Kentucky (WOR)
  • Foster Moreau, TE, LSU (SR)
  • Brandon Murphy, OT, Memphis (WOR)
  • Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma (PRI)
  • Chris Peace, OLB, Virginia (EW)
  • Ryan Pope, OT, San Diego State (PRO)
  • Dalton Risner^, OT, Kansas State (SR, PRI)
  • Tyler Roemer, OT, San Diego State (PRO)
  • Dru Samia, G, Oklahoma (SR)
  • Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina (COM)
  • David Sills, WR, West Virginia (SR)
  • Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse (EW)
  • Jaylen Smith, WR, Louisville (SR)
  • Jarrett Stidham^, QB, Auburn (COM, PRI)
  • Sione Takitaki, OLB, Brigham Young (EW)
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida (COM)
  • Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo (EW)
  • Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern (PRI)
  • Tre Watson, ILB, Maryland (EW)
  • Trevon Wesco, FB, West Virginia (SR)
  • Kevin Wilkins, DT, Rutgers (EW)
  • Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama (PRI)
  • Renell Wren, DT/3-4DE, Arizona State (SR)
  • Terry Wright, WR, Purdue (EW)
  • Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple (SR)

Looking at that list, we are not going defense in the 1st/2nd. The highest ranked defensive prospect that we brought in was Rock Ya Sin. We are drafting QB, OL, WR, not necessarily in that order. As much as I'd like to see another impact defender, I am preparing myself to see us draft offense early and often. 

They only talked to 9 or 10 potential 1st rounders. Most of those on that list are day 2 and after. 

Listened to Hoffman in a podcast on a draft podcast and also today on 106.7.

He doesn't think they take any QB in the first because what he heard is the only QB they love is Murray.  He keeps beating Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry being on their radar.  Seems like the third WR where there is some smoke is AJ Brown. 

Keim in one his his twitter changes seemed to imply that Marquise was hot on their list, then not, now is in the running again.  Hoffman talked about Marquise isn't a stretch at 15 but better yet if they can trade down and get him.

If I am running with Hoffman's thoughts if a QB falls to 15, they'd trade the pick and perhaps take Marquise or Harry later in the first.  Otherwise if someone they love drops to 15, they'd grab that dude.    

Keim seems to be on a different note where he seems to be suggesting that they'd consider Jones or Haskins in the mix if they fall to 15.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Hoffman in a podcast on a draft podcast and also today on 106.7.

He doesn't think they take any QB in the first because what he heard is the only QB they love is Murray.  He keeps beating Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry being on their radar.  Seems like the third WR where there is some smoke is AJ Brown. 

Keim in one his his twitter changes seemed to imply that Marquise was hot on their list, then not, now is in the running again.  Hoffman talked about Marquise isn't a stretch at 15 but better yet if they can trade down and get him.

If I am running with Hoffman's thoughts if a QB falls to 15, they'd trade the pick and perhaps take Marquise or Harry later in the first.  Otherwise if someone they love drops to 15, they'd grab that dude.    

Keim seems to be on a different note where he seems to be suggesting that they'd consider Jones or Haskins in the mix if they fall to 15.

If Skins go Haskins or Jones at #15, it has Doug Williams name all over either pick.  I've heard Williams likes both.

33 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Exactly Cards have a QB where they have to eat cap space maybe they came to an agreement already with the Skins for Iaonnidas if we ate his cap space.  It's just conjecture.

I'd be sooooo pissed if we shipped off Matt..

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If Skins go Haskins or Jones at #15, it has Doug Williams name all over either pick.  I've heard Williams likes both.

It feels that way if you follow the rumor game.   I am not in love with Haskins or Jones.  I'd easily though take Haskins over Jones.  But I'd ride with either one if I knew Jay is on board.  But if Jay doesn't like either QB (I don't know one way or another albeit Sheehan said he heard that Jay doesn't like Haskins -- and Jay sort of hinted at it himself when he suggested Haskins wouldn't be an example of a QB who is pro ready) then I am vehemently against either one.

The impression I get listening to beat writers is that Doug isn't heavy handed as for being an evaluator and instead mostly listens to others and he's more of a facilitator in that building.   But it wouldn't surprise me if Doug is weighing though more heavily on QB than it typically does on other spots considering that's the spot he played.  As I mentioned I recall Doug in an article years back bragged about how he was the guy in the Tampa FO who pushed Josh Freeman.  When I think of Jones and Haskins, they both have traits that perhaps Doug can identify with that he'd like.  They are both big physical QBs who are high character.  Jones though more mobile than Doug was.    Haskins has an arm arguably similar to Doug's arm. 

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2011/06/49267/

Raheem Compares Freeman To Doug Williams

37 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Now that Im done the mock draft, I think we should make a move for KaVontae Turpin in the 7th. Hopefully no one else realizes that as of 3 days ago, his charges were dropped! He has elite speed and is a game changer everywhere on the field.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article229440009.html

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article228605784.html

We were one of only 4 teams to attend his pro day. Redskins, Cowboys, Seahawks, Raiders. 

42 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article228605784.html

We were one of only 4 teams to attend his pro day. Redskins, Cowboys, Seahawks, Raiders. 

Yea, I think i compared him to our old kick returner, Brandon Banks. But after watching some of his tape, I think i undersold it. This guy has Devin Hester-like speed and vision, and is alot stronger than his size suggests.

Interesting article, looking at all 52 overall #1 picks, and rating from best to worst.

This is the take I got from it...

Of the Top 10 best overall #1's, not a single one was drafted in this millennium.

Which almost makes it seem like, as a league, they're declining in their ability to draft.

It's just an observation, and something to think about. So, I'm by no means, saying that that's a truth. Because there's probably other factors involved.

Just included the Top 10. Click the link for the rest.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000797366/ranking-all-52-no-1-picks-of-the-nfls-commondraft-era

Ranking all 52 No. 1 picks of the NFL's common-draft era

"#10 - Orlando Pace 1997

#9 - Lee Roy Selmon 1976

#8 - Ron Yary 1968

#7 - Earl Campbell 1978

#6 - OJ Simpson 1969

#5 - Troy Aikman 1989

#4 - Terry Bradshaw 1970

#3 - John Elway 1983

#2 - Bruce Smith 1985

#1 - Peyton Manning 1998"

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

https://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/

That’s a great observation, but I think it often doesn’t apply to Day 1/2 picks, where most teams have done extensive due diligence on the top 30-50 players regardless of whether they’ve brought them in for visits. What gives this theory additional credence is that virtually none of the top “likely available” prospects that the experts expect to be available for our pick at 15 (Burns, Bush, Hockenson, Ferrell etc...)  have been brought in for visits. However, I firmly believe that if the right ‘faller’ lands at #15 (be it Hockenson or White or Bush or Burns) that this F.O. will take them, whether they have visited or not, and regardless of which side of the ball they play. 

Conversely, part of me hopes that you are correct in the sense that this team could really use an infusion of offensive talent at places like WR, LG, QB, TE, as long as those guys are BPA rather than need picks. 

We’ll see!

On 3/16/2019 at 5:36 PM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Tried to narrow down the pool of players I would like us to target outside of the first round. This is what I've got. Could be miles off with where the will go though and we'd need to move around with picks  :806:

2- N'Keal Harry WR 

2- Juan Thornhill DB - class player, may not have chance to take him.

2- Chris Lindstrom OL

3- Yodny Cajuste OL

3- Justin Layne DB - favourite value DB now

3- David Long LB - definite pick for me

3- Jarrett Stidham QB - definite pick for me

4- Trayveon Williams RB - definite pick from me, clearly no 4th round pick yet.

5- Darnell Savage DB

5- Foster Moreau TE - definite pick for me 

5- Mecole Hardman WR - definite pick for me 

6- Mark Fields DB - definite pick from me

7-  Ben Burr-Kirven LB

7/UFA - Damien Prince OL

One of you experts feel free to flame me if my round predictions are way out.

Gonna revisit my list from a month back, still like Harry at WR, first round is now the the wildcard of Edge or maybe QB. Rosen still in the mix for a day two pick. Like my choice of OL and DB still, think Long and Burr-Kirven bring value it their respective slots, especially after we got Foster getting a free pass from the league, Hardman and Moreau also day three value. 

Stidham, well that's a reach but maybe day three now..would still be happy if we drafted two QBs and dumped McCoy, or Keenum I guess. 

Archived