Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

2. ERIK McCOY, Texas A&M (6-4, 305, 4.87, 1-2): Two-star recruit from Lufkin, Texas. “Really good football player,” said one scout. “You could almost play him at guard. He’s a good athlete. Quick. He positions. Does all the right things. Stronger than his size. He’s competitive. He works it but he’s not just a kick-your-ass guy.” Fourth-year junior with 36 starts at center and two at guard. Voted Aggies’ MVP on offense last season. “He’ll be your starting center by Year 2,” said another scout. “He’s tough, he’s nasty, he’s a dude.” Wonderlic of 26 and 29 reps on the bench. “Quinnen (Williams, of Alabama) pushed him the first series a couple times but this guy had a great battle with him after that,” a third scout said. “He blocked guys that will be in the NFL. He is strong and he is tough and he continues to put guys on the ground. He’s the best center I’ve seen in years.” 

McCoy has joined some other players at the top of my draft board for the 15th pick. 

IF you can believe what we are hearing, the Skins don't want to trade back from 15, because they believe they need an impact player. They also reportedly want a player that can contribute immediately. Given that they just resigned Ioannidis and tend to draft for need, I think interior DL is not on the list. They probably think they are ok for tackle for right now and just need developmental guys there. I don't think they take a tackle early unless he can also play guard. That leaves a short list, and I think interior OL is on that list. IAt the 15th pick, I would think they would consider:

Hockenson

Bush/White

Passrusher

Marquise Brown

Interior OL

What I want is a pro-bowl player at that spot. We don't have enough impact players. My second consideration would be a guy that improves our overall team speed. It's more than a little interesting that both Kiper and McShay now have us taking Marquise Brown at 15. I would like that pick. 

I actually think that Erik McCoy would be a solid pick at 15. You can see what solidifying the middle of the OL did for Indianapolis. McCoy is a physical bully, has solid size, is strong and athletic. He can win at the point of attack and is also very good in space. He's already looked very good against Quinnen Williams and Jefferey Simmons and Christian Wilkins. He had possibly the best athletic and strength testing for an OL at the combine, meaning that his athletic tools match what you see on tape.

Erik McCoy plugs in as a day one starter at center and could easily make the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Given the return of Scherff, who should have no residual from his pec, if we can find a solid but unspectacular starter at LG, we should have a fantastic interior line. 

25 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

At the 15th pick, I would think they would consider:

Hockenson

Bush/White

Passrusher

Marquise Brown

Interior OL

Sounds about right though Keim doesn't think they go O line in round 1.  Will see. 

On a note on Devin Bush who is a growing man crush for me in this draft, I just listened to Jeremiah's podcast and he actually thinks Bush is the safer pick over White.  He more or less said he's a more sound tackler. 

14 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

A smart owner would have already fired a lame duck front office and coaching staff.

Passing on good quarterback prospects when you need a quarterback because you think you're going to have to fire everyone next offseason is layering bad decision on top of bad decisions.

I hate the idea of punting on a season in April.  This is the NFL, not the NBA, fast turnarounds happen every year.

This is the Redskins, not the Colts. And "turnaround" suggests we were going the right way at one point. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On a note on Devin Bush who is a growing man crush for me in this draft, I just listened to Jeremiah's podcast and he actually thinks Bush is the safer pick over White.  He more or less said he's a more sound tackler. 

I haven't been overly involved here this year, but are people thinking Bush will still be on the board at 15?  

I hope so.  Sign me up for Bush and Foster manning the middle.  

Love the draft

• NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport reports that the Oakland Raiders have sent their scouts home and that they are not expected to return for the draft.

According to Rap Sheet, Jon Gruden and Mike Mayock "don't know who to trust and wanted to clear the room." This is the kind of delightful palace intrigue that we have been waiting to see in the leadup to the draft when it comes to the Raiders. So, sure, a scouting purge. Paranoia. Distrust. Probably the blinds are closed. Oakland has the capability of blowing a hole in the draft given their capital and we cannot wait to see what happens with this circus.

Apr 19, 2019, 12:33 PM

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I haven't been overly involved here this year, but are people thinking Bush will still be on the board at 15?  

Probably not, but there is some chance. Most mocks have him going top 11 or 12 and a few have him dropping. In my heart of hearts, I want Devin Bush or Marquise Brown at 15. 

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think he goes before 15 but as I've been keep saying the math ultimately adds up that someone is going to fall.

My guess is someone among Sweat, Hockenson, and Bush will be there.  And if all three go before 15 then there will be some faller.  

3 hours ago, LD0506 said:

The offense is a dumpster fire, Guice is about the only bright side I see this year. IMO odds are that Jay is gone after a 5-11 season, and a new coach will want his own staff, own offense, probably his own new QB, so I'm not sure I'd use #15 on any player for that side of the ball. Target the best LB or FS there is, need some speed and smarts there, keep rebuilding the D into a unit that can flat out stun and stop opposing teams. 

Add in the fact that this is a defense draft at the top. Other than Hockenson and Jonah, there aren't any offensive players I'd take at 15 if a top 10 defensive prospect fell to us. I'd just rather pass. I suppose I should add Haskins because I do think he's a solid QB prospect though I'd rather tank for '20/'21. 

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

Add in the fact that this is a defense draft at the top. Other than Hockenson and Jonah, there aren't any offensive players I'd take at 15 if a top 10 defensive prospect fell to us. I'd just rather pass. I suppose I should add Haskins because I do think he's a solid QB prospect though I'd rather tank for '20/'21. 

If healthy, you could argue Brown too.  I really like Daniel Jeremiah and he was on Alvin Kamara before anyone (I remember him ranking him like top 15 (and Kamara fell to the 3rd round).  Jeremiah loves Brown.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

The fact that we rarely start quickly offensively & never score on our opening possession of the 3rd lead me to believe Jay is something less than ordinary. It’s not easy to be as incompetent as we’ve been to open every 2nd half since McVay left.

Maybe you have a point, but was that a huge issue circa '15-'16. I'd like to see how our O competes with a healthy OL, it's first choice starting RB, and a starting QB who isn't a washed sack of manure. Nobody anywhere can argue the offense as constructed last offseason, especially after Guice went down was anything better than bottom 3 in the league in terms of talent.

Bottom 5 QB Play, especially in terms of utilizing the whole field.

Bottom 3 WR group

Bottom 5 RB group

Bottom 10 TE group

Bottom 10 OL Group after injuries annihilated it

It was garbage. 

But yeah. I'm not a huge fan of Gruden either, my argument is that the F.O./GM/Owner is bottom 2 or 3 in the league, and I think Gruden and his staff is more middle tier, somewhere in that 14th-22nd area. 

W/talent, he was a .500 or better coach, w/o talent, he wasn't. Not too surprising, there are only a handful of coaches in the league that can win w/poor talent and pretty much all of them have had elite QB's as part of the equation to make the difference (other than Gibbs and Parcells in their day). 

50 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

McCoy has joined some other players at the top of my draft board for the 15th pick. 

IF you can believe what we are hearing, the Skins don't want to trade back from 15, because they believe they need an impact player. They also reportedly want a player that can contribute immediately. Given that they just resigned Ioannidis and tend to draft for need, I think interior DL is not on the list. They probably think they are ok for tackle for right now and just need developmental guys there. I don't think they take a tackle early unless he can also play guard. That leaves a short list, and I think interior OL is on that list. IAt the 15th pick, I would think they would consider:

Hockenson

Bush/White

Passrusher

Marquise Brown

Interior OL

What I want is a pro-bowl player at that spot. We don't have enough impact players. My second consideration would be a guy that improves our overall team speed. It's more than a little interesting that both Kiper and McShay now have us taking Marquise Brown at 15. I would like that pick. 

I actually think that Erik McCoy would be a solid pick at 15. You can see what solidifying the middle of the OL did for Indianapolis. McCoy is a physical bully, has solid size, is strong and athletic. He can win at the point of attack and is also very good in space. He's already looked very good against Quinnen Williams and Jefferey Simmons and Christian Wilkins. He had possibly the best athletic and strength testing for an OL at the combine, meaning that his athletic tools match what you see on tape.

Erik McCoy plugs in as a day one starter at center and could easily make the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Given the return of Scherff, who should have no residual from his pec, if we can find a solid but unspectacular starter at LG, we should have a fantastic interior line. 

I would be ecstatic if we got McCoy or Bradbury via trade down or in the 2nd. Elite Centers are so valuable and always so cheap in terms of draft compensation. Would love it. 

On 12/10/2018 at 12:32 AM, volsmet said:

A LB I want on my team is Devin Bush, he’s a perfect athlete, & competitor, for this spread out nfl.

Oliver

Bush

Lock

Sweat

White

Mccoy

Hock

Still need to watch the other top guards, I start with the projects & work to the studs. I’m particularly interested in Lindstrom, he didn’t stand out as much in the sr bowl as some others, but the love he’s getting warrants closer inspection... same with Dillard, Ford & Jonah. More Lindstrom notes from you guys would be glorious, his counterpart is actually an option as an udfa. 

Alas, I must accept, that I am, again, all by myself ... on Lock island; Sip has left us cold & scared. 

source.gif

16 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I would be ecstatic if we got McCoy or Bradbury via trade down or in the 2nd. Elite Centers are so valuable and always so cheap in terms of draft compensation. Would love it. 

Would either translate to guard or too undersized?  Otherwise I'd say almost zero shot they get Bradbury or McCoy with their 1st round pick for these three reasons:

A. I've heard beat reporters say they like Roullier a lot at center but don't like him the same way at guard.

B.  They want a move that helps them win now in 2019 more than anything.   So if they like their center then I gather they'd have to like either player at guard. Otherwise, if they don't like the idea of Roullier at guard then you still would have a hole at LG. 

C.  Keim who is typically conservative as for sharing gossip has said he flat out got the sense from his FO sources its not going to be an O lineman in round 1. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Too bad about Love, loved (no pun intended) the dude during the 2017 college season -- and he looked surprisingly  good (albeit it was a down year for him) when I was watching Arcega-Whiteside recently.

10 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

We might not be able to trade down much. Centers are going higher these days. Ryan Kelly went at 18 to the Colts and I don't think they believe they reached. Fletcher Cox plays in our conference. I think that should give us a special appreciation for the importance of interior OL play. McCoy isn't my favorite at 15, but I wouldn't cry, and if he drops a little, I wouldn't mind if we moved back up to grab him. 

8 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If healthy, you could argue Brown too.  I really like Daniel Jeremiah and he was on Alvin Kamara before anyone (I remember him ranking him like top 15 (and Kamara fell to the 3rd round).  Jeremiah loves Brown.

Don't know if you know, but I don't have Brown in my top 5, and have him nowhere near #15.

I've got AJ Brown, N'Keal Harry, Hakeem Butler, DK Metcalf all above him, he's in a grouping for me with Deebo, Isabella, Jaws, Campbell and Boykin for me, guys I'd look at in the 45-70 zone. 

I don't see Brown AT ALL as anything close to a 1st rounder. I know the NFL does, I know that. But I also know he'd be a HUGE outlier if he was successful. Lacks the breakout age you want, in terms of size he fits in a cohort that has NEVER been successful in modern times w/really only one exception, and he's coming off an injury that takes a while to be fully recovered from and can lead to compensatory injuries as well. I have ZERO interest in taking him earlier than at slot in round 2, and would consider him a massive reach in terms of the WR pool. The people I trust, Kelley, rotoviz writers, fantasylabs people, who build the best models don't have him in the top 3. Only people who seem to are tape scouts. PFF has him 5th, the guys at rotoviz and fantasylabs have him outside their top 5 (at rotoviz he's #6, not sure about labs) as well, nobody other than tape scouts as far as I'm aware has him as #1, #2 or #3, perhaps Harmon and Reception Perception model has him there, I know his RP model loves Brown. 

see:

Link: 

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/reception-perception-marquise-brown-may-have-the-best-film-of-any-wr-in-2019-nfl-draft-class/

20 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Interesting, rotoviz and Kelley nailed Kamara, especially rotoviz. Jeremiah had him top 15, he definitely nailed it. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26388916/tracing-roots-dwayne-haskins-football-journey%3fplatform=amp

Nice write up on Dwayne Haskins by Keim if you haven’t seen it. The most accurate qb in this draft. A worker bee, student of the game. Rhythm passer who is perfect for Jays system. 

Hard to pass on him in my book if he’s there at 15. Also love Hollywood, Bush, and J Williams for the spot. Whoever they feel strongest about I’m good with.

There’s a higher floor and more safety  with picking Bush or Williams but higher upside with DH and Hollywood. Just a matter of our appetite for Risk.

These are my four right now 6 days out.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Would either translate to guard or too undersized?  Otherwise I'd say almost zero shot they get Bradbury or McCoy with their 1st round pick for these three reasons:

A. I've heard beat reporters say they like Roullier a lot at center but don't like him the same way at guard.

B.  They want a move that helps them win now in 2019 more than anything.  

C.  Keim who is typically conservative as for sharing gossip has said he flat out got the sense from his FO sources its not going to be an O lineman in round 1. 

A. Seem to, and I like him well enough too, but if you have a chance to get an elite talent on the OL at value, you should still take them.

B. That's why they should've been fired. You should NEVER have a win now F.O. Understand a coaching staff that feels that way, but its crucial to give F.O.'s job security if they're competent and fire them if they're not. The F.O. is supposed to carry out the long term team building strategy, the Coaching Staff is supposed to carry out every day operations of the team. When you aren't doing that, you aren't doing it right. Sucks to have a moron owner.

C.No problem w/that unless Jonah falls. I wouldn't take either center unless it was via trade down, just not worth the draft capital of a top 15 pick. Doesn't make cap or draft capital sense. Poor use of assets. 

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Jeebus lol....

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet

Sources: #Raiders coach Jon Gruden and GM Mike Mayock sent their scouts home for the weekend and they are not expected to return by draft time. The belief is they don’t know who to trust and wanted to clear the room.

Mayock is going to have the time of his life next week running their draft. Living the dream.

7 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

A. Seem to, and I like him well enough too, but if you have a chance to get an elite talent on the OL at value, you should still take them.

I am ok with that in theory.

B. That's why they should've been fired. You should NEVER have a win now F.O. Understand a coaching staff that feels that way, but its crucial to give F.O.'s job security if they're competent and fire them if they're not. The F.O. is supposed to carry out the long term team building strategy, the Coaching Staff is supposed to carry out every day operations of the team. When you aren't doing that, you aren't doing it right. Sucks to have a moron owner.

Agree.  But it is what it is.   And playing by their supposed logic I think it's doubtful they draft a center at 15 based on the context I laid out -- unless they think they can be an elite LG.  

C.No problem w/that unless Jonah falls. I wouldn't take either center unless it was via trade down, just not worth the draft capital of a top 15 pick. Doesn't make cap or draft capital sense. Poor use of assets. 

Me too.  I haven't really dived into either player so I don't have a strong opinion on them.  In theory, if they trade down I'd like a dude like Cody Ford who can play guard and can transition to RT if need be.  

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

What I don't like about drafting McCoy to play center is it sends a solid player in roullier to the bench, and we still have to address our hole at LG.  it's almost like robbing Peter to play paul.  If McCoy could be plugged in at LG, I'd be ok with that, but I'd prefer Ford / Jonah bc they can play LG on day one, and then transfer to LT down the road.  And I like first round picks to play premium positions like LT, as opposed to McCoy who is strictly interior Oline.  

Archived