Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

2 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

Me too. I have to give credit where credit is due...The Redskins showed discipline and stayed at 15, allowing the board to come to them and got a QB that some consider the best in this class. Then, they pounce on Sweat who most considered a top 10 talent at pick 26. It's a good morning. 

I say stand pat with the two 3Rd round picks, target a WR (Andy Isabella would be my hope) and a potential starting caliber OG and this draft would already be considered a success IMO.

I was so happy when Sweat rolled out of their mouth

Isabella is on of a number of 3rd round WR talent.

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

3)  Deebo (only WR worth trading up for)

I agree. I don't watch much College football until later in the season. Samuel torched Clemson and was one of the best players on the field. He's a little short--but Anthony Mix was tall and he sucked.

Free safety, guard, back up (and really any backup o-line man) and receiver are the biggest holes. Free safety might be okay if Montae Nicholson can get his head right and recover from his sophomore slump or Apke makes a huge jump after being coached up. Receiver is only good if some of the undrafteds who looked great in the preseason turn out to be the real thing (not likely) I'd say the team needs two to three o-linemen who can emerge as primary backups. It'd be great if one of our 3rd rounder could be an immediate starter at guard. It's really unlikely to nab a day one starter at wide receiver in the third round. 

I'm thinking Deonte Thompson might be a target if he lasts.  He didn't test at all due to injury, but he's a bama guy.  Taylor Rapp might slip to round 3 due to his horrid 40 time.  Still, interior o-line is a huge need.  I just don't see the top o-line guys slipping.

Taylor, Ford, Risner, Jenkins, McCoy will all go round 2.  Nate Davis (since we brought him in) might be the pick if he's there.

Ryan Bates and Michael Deiter are two Tackles who could/should move to OG that are likely to be around in the R5 area and could compete to start with flowers and be long term answers at LG. 

Also look out for Ross Pierschbacher in Round 5 as a Center/Guard and he’s from Bama

I say that mainly to assuage fears should the Skins go WR+TE or WR + DB in Round 3 

Dieonta Thompson would be a sneaky pick for us in R3 and I wouldn’t hate it. As long as we go back to offense and take some upside fliers with our remaining 5 picks. 

Preston Williams is someone to watch if he falls. Off field isssues but arguably a 1st round talent 

7 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

The prognostications are over, whether this guy or that guy thinks he's gonna bust is irrelevant.  Also who made the pick inside our building, who's guy is who's guy: Dan, Bruce and Doug vs. Jay, Scouts, and Smith is also irrelevant at this point.  Dwayne Haskins is our QB.  If you think he sucks then great, that's also irrelevant.  Let's support this guy 100%. He's young, big, smart, and accurate. HTTR!!

Exactly as *I* had hoped. #1 we got a edge rusher that is going to make the D scary. Get turn overs. Play field position, pressure BIG TIME

#2 IF he even starts, we have a QB who is accurate and won't turn the ball over- Short quick routes and a running game to complement = Move the sticks-eat the clock

We don't NEED a Read Option QB to run this offense. This O will EAT the clock and the D will keep the points down. WORKS FOR ME! :)

2 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Exactly as *I* had hoped. #1 we got a edge rusher that is going to make the D scary. Get turn overs. Play field position, pressure BIG TIME

#2 IF he even starts, we have a QB who is accurate and won't turn the ball over- Short quick routes and a running game to complement = Move the sticks-eat the clock

We don't NEED a Read Option QB to run this offense. This O will EAT the clock and the D will keep the points down. WORKS FOR ME! :)

This is all well and good--but this was our approach last year. Defense started out really well, then fell apart. Manusky is a mediocre at best DC--and there were complaints he changed his scheme half way through the season when we cratered.

We want quick routes, ball control? Sure, that works in theory, but Haskins weaknesses include slow progressions and slow decision making.

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We want quick routes, ball control? Sure, that works in theory, but Haskins weaknesses include slow progressions and slow decision making.

Isn't his accuracy at/near the LOS something like 100%?  I got a 100 on a quiz once, and I remember thinking that was like really good

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is all well and good--but this was our approach last year. Defense started out really well, then fell apart. Manusky is a mediocre at best DC--and there were complaints he changed his scheme half way through the season when we cratered.

I hope Ryan will help Manusky adjust. That's why I liked bringing him on. I agree..the D crumpled 1/2 way in and we got NO Pressure..I think we fixed the pressure and those 3rd down completions will at LEAST be reduced. THAT was a real problem..too many easy 3rd's. THAT has to be fixed and I hope Pressure and Collins and mabey a CB/safely hybrid in this draft. We will be better on D this year player wise and coaching so I think it will work.

As for Haskins, Jay did it with Dalton. Timing routes and practice..lots of it and a O line addition this draft..can be done. THAT and Guice and AD is a BIG upside this year.

I am hopeful..we have upgraded from last year

From Brewer's article that just twist my stomach over the Haskins pick:

fulfilling the wish — okay, demand — of owner Daniel Snyder and perhaps solving the dilemma of Alex Smith’s career-threatening injury.

If the pre-draft conversation hadn’t included reports that Snyder and maligned team president Bruce Allen pushed hard for Haskins, the night would have been worthy of mass celebration. Instead, the reaction should be a mix of skepticism about the polarizing manner in which the organization functioned in acquiring Haskins.

Snyder got his quarterback, even though Haskins could be a challenging fit in Gruden’s offense.

Such fast-rising quarterbacks tend to take longer to develop in the NFL. There are questions about his functional mobility, about his ability to throw with anticipation and about his slow windup...Gruden’s system asks for a good amount of quarterback mobility and quick throws.

He has quite a bit to learn, and this is not an offense with enough talent to support a first-year quarterback.

I’m not in love with him as a prospect, but he has enough talent, if molded properly...

Haskins seems like a nice young man, and to be frank, I always fear this organization’s ability to ruin people.

Haskins is talented, but he's a terrible fit here, another square peg wedged into a round hole becuase of a familial tie--let's be honest if he didn't play with Snyder's son, would there be this much demand for him? 

He requires patience and coaching. Not sure which we have less of.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/04/26/redskins-selection-dwayne-haskins-deserves-pat-back-healthy-dose-skepticism/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6497ef6d36f4

19 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

I hope all this trade up talk gets the Giants to move up with Jets to get the guy they could at 6.  That would be great, not that we'd ever know for sure.  Make them give up some picks to get the same guy...

So We will never know for sure, but I wonder if the Giants picked Jones at 6 instead of waiting, because of the skins chatter.  Not as good as trading up, but I'm calling this a win.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Haskins is talented, but he's a terrible fit here, another square peg wedged into a round hole becuase of a familial tie--let's be honest if he didn't play with Snyder's son, would there be this much demand for him? 

I don't buy that he is a terrible fit here. This is just sensationalistic bull**** by Brewer.

To reiterate my stance (for those who haven't read everything): I'm not in love with Haskins as a QB. And I don't hate him as a QB. Wanted to put that out there as a primer for my response to Brewer...

Haskins plays similarly to Alex Smith. Needs footwork improvements, steps up well in the pocket, good at putting the ball where it needs to be on underneath throws, intelligent football player, protects the football. Weakness is internal pocket collapse.

What about any of that goes against him fitting on this roster? The Skins aren't a gunslinging offense throwing the ball all over the field for fun. They are a timing offense designed for receivers to get some space off of route combos and for the QB to make smart decisions with the football. Haskins does that.

I saw someone say he is slow to make decisions. Sure, he was a few times. And it stands out on highlight/low light reels. But in game situations he was fine.

He isn't a rollout passer in the mold of Cousins or Smith (that's where he and Smith differ). But he has a stronger arm than both of them. Coaching can help the wind up (though it may not). I'm most concerned with his throwing motion and his pocket sliding ability. 

I get it. People are pissed that Snyder likes the guy because of this hatred for what Dan has done to the team. But I think some people need to start looking at things without Snyder hate tinted glasses on. 

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

So much talent in the second. Looking at how many picks are left before we choose again, I wonder who our 3rd round targets should be, if we stay put. Thoughts?

So much talent left at receiver and corner.  Some good interior OLs left too.  I'm hoping for one of my favorite receivers/corners in the third.  And really really hoping for David Montgomery, but I have a suspicion that someone will take him in the second.

The dream scenario for me is David Long falling to the third and getting Montgomery, then getting Te'Von Coney with a fifth.  But I would also be thrilled with a bunch of other guys too.

D5DOScVVUAI7sJS.jpg:large

Lots of talent still out there.... Who's left and where were they projected:

17. Byron Murphy, CB, Washington

19. Cody Ford, OT, Oklahoma

22. Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida

24. D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

25. Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

27. Dalton Risner, OL, Kansas State

30. Nasir Adderley, S, Delaware

31. Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa State

35. Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama

36. Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

38. Dre’Mont Jones, DT. Ohio State

39. Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama

40. A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss

41. Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple

42. Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S/CB, Florida

43. Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina State

44. Erik McCoy, C, Texas A&M

45. Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss

46. Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia

47. Mack Wilson, LB, Alabama

48. Drew Lock, QB, Missouri

49. Jachai Polite, OLB/DE, Florida

50. Jaylon Ferguson, DE, Louisiana Tech

51. Zach Allen, DE, Boston College

52. David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State

53. Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

54. Amani Hooker, S, Iowa

55. Chase Winovich, Edge, Michigan

56. Yodny Cajuste, OT, West Virginia

57. Devin Singletary, RB, Florida Atlantic

58. Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan

59. Damien Harris, RB, Alabama

60. Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M

61. Elgton Jenkins, C, Mississippi State

64. Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State

65. Taylor Rapp, S, Washington

67. Justin Layne, CB, Michigan State

68. Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame

69. Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss

70. Khalen Saunders, DT,Western Illinois

71. Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis

72. D’Andre Walker, Edge, Georgia

74. Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State

75. Gerald Willis, DT, Miami

76. Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson

77. Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State

78. Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford

79. Max Scharping, OT, Northern Illinois

80. Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt

81. David Long, CB, Michigan

82. Isaiah Buggs, DL, Alabama

83. Oshane Ximines, Edge, Old Dominion

84. Connor McGovern, G, Penn State

85. Andy Isabella, WR, Massachusetts

86. Christian Miller, Edge, Alabama

87. Michael Deiter, G, Wisconsin

88. Will Grier, QB, West Virginia

89. Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia

90. Anthony Nelson, DE, Iowa

91. Preston Williams, WR, Colorado State

92. Trayveon Williams, RB, Texas A&M

94. Jahlani Tavai, LB, Hawaii

95. Jamel Dean, CB, Auburn

96. Trysten Hill, DT, Central Florida

97. JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford

98. Te’Von Coney, LB, Notre Dame

99. Renell Wren, DT, Arizona State

100. Jamal Davis, Edge, Akron

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

What round is JJ Arcega Whiteside  projected ?  I'm not a expert on college football but behind Marquise Brown i thought he was the best WR last season. I would love to see this guy play for us

I really like Whiteside, and have went to bat for him here. But I dont think he's the type you trade up significantly for, like we would have to. Also, I think he isnt the right fit for our team. JJ would be perfect on a team like Pittsburgh, Seattle, Indianapolis, or even New Orleans.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

This isn't remotely true. Kinda seems like you're falling into the trap of thinking he's Jason Campbell like some others. His mental processing is a strength.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I would jump up for Metcalf or Butler, or I would sit tight in the third and let the draft come to me.  I think there is a good chance that Deebo will be available at our first pick in that round.

Metcalf is exactly the type of guy I'd like to trade up for, but I dont think we have the fire-power to make that move, and Im not sure if its the smart thing to do. Currently our draft assets are:

3rd

3rd

5th

5th

6th

7th

7th

And we are already out of next years 2nd. If we paired both 3rds together, that would barely get us within range of Houston in the 2nd. The only way we could move up into the top half of the 2nd is to trade next year's 1st, or package a 3rd with a player like Jordan Reed or something. I dont see it happening. There will be a wr in the 3rd available. My guess as to who may be available in the 3rd is:

1. Anthony Johnson

2. David Sills

3. Terry McLaurin

4. Jaylon Hurd

5. Riley Ridley

6. Miles Boykin

Of those guys, I think getting them at the bottom of the 3rd would be best.

I highly doubt Deebo Samuel or JJ Arcega Whiteside will be on the board at 76.

Some of the ways that prospects win me over are 1 - when I go into an evaluation of them with a preconceived negative impression of their game and they are so excellent they immediately make me eat ****.  And 2 - I'm watching cut ups or games for one of their teammates or opponents and they just pop so much that I abandon what I was doing and become transfixed on their play.

David Long is the second situation.  I didn't know about him before despite all of the time I spent on Gary and Bush and Hurst the year before, including watching several of their games live.  TBH the broadcast view really sucks for watching corners and deep safeties.  But he made some spectacular plays in coverage so that he finally caught my eye and I was like "holy crap, who the he'll is this kid? " 

Many cut ups later and I'm sold that he's the best press man corner in the class.

David Montgomery is the first situation.  Went in thinking this kid is slow, don't want.  Watched like two cut ups and was immediately aware I was completely wrong about him.  That kid is so damn good.  A true workhorse, and one of the few potential offensive stars of the class.  I think he could be one of the true steals of the class, and that getting him would give us an unbelievably talented backfield and the foundation for a very powerful offense.

We have to take a LG in the 3rd round.  We cant keep pretending that the QB can protect himself, or that Flowers is anything but a turnstile thats been uprooted from its mounts.  I get people might want a safety, but we have dumped so many top 4 round picks into safety in recent years at some point we have to stop doing it(and stop cutting the only good ones we get).

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Anyone else prepared to throw a day three pick out for Jachai Polite if he's still dropping down the draft.

I really enjoyed watching him, but he's got a pretty bad off field reputation.  At best, his horrible postseason performance and behavior suggests a lack of dedication and professionalism.  I think we should just consider ourselves lucky to get Sweat and take a pass on Polite.

Personally, I think we just sit back and go BPA at 76 unless DK Metcalf inexplicably falls within trading range. There are a ton of great options at 76, and we have 2 years to draft the right guys around Dwayne.

My board of possible available prospects at 76:

1. JJ Arcega Whiteside, WR

2. Elgton Jenkins, OL

3. Germaine Pratt, LB

4. JoeJuan Williams, DB

5. Khalen Saunders, DT

6. Deionte Thompson, S

7. David Long, DB

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I really enjoyed watching him, but he's got a pretty bad off field reputation.  At best, his horrible postseason performance and behavior suggests a lack of dedication and professionalism.  I think we should just consider ourselves lucky to get Sweat and take a pass on Polite.

Don't disagree with that approach. Might be tempted much later on in the draft as a flyer but yeh, he may well be trouble. 

Archived