Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@wolfsire I understand man, I feel your pain I'd like the same for my two kids. I used to cry when the skins lost at 5 yrs old. lol. And now 36 yrs later we are still crying, lol. You are acting like its already happened, like you can see the future, chill. Have hope let it play out enjoy it. Hope the kid blossoms, so maybe our kids can see what its like to win. 

Hope is all we’ve had for a long time. Now we’re supposed to hope our 15th pick in the first round can play at some point? 

I think we might decide to go all in this draft, if a WR drops in the second I think we could jump up from the third round. Either use our 2x thirds or use a third, fifth, sixth plus 2020 mid pick.

Then use our latter third in the best interior OL, I think we'll go after the Alabama guy later on, Piersbacher.

Get Haskins a familiar WR target would be my guess.

13 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@wolfsire I understand man, I feel your pain I'd like the same for my two kids. I used to cry when the skins lost at 5 yrs old. lol. And now 36 yrs later we are still crying, lol. You are acting like its already happened, like you can see the future, chill. Have hope let it play out enjoy it. Hope the kid blossoms, so maybe our kids can see what its like to win. 

Hope is all we’ve had for a long time. Now we’re supposed to hope that our 15th pick in the first round will play at some point?

16 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

So much talent in the second. Looking at how many picks are left before we choose again, I wonder who our 3rd round targets should be, if we stay put. Thoughts?

I think we'll go after a Ohio St WR by jumping back into the second.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think we might decide to go all in this draft, if a WR drops in the second I think we could jump up from the third round. Either use our 2x thirds or use a third, fifth, sixth plus 2020 mid pick.

Then use our latter third in the best interior OL, I think we'll go after the Alabama guy later on, Piersbacher.

Get Haskins a familiar WR target would be my guess.

2 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

He's gonna play bud. @wolfsire Let's let him learn the playbook and take from there. 

Right......dude. He’s gonna play until guys trying to earn a job come at him in pre-season. If he passes that test, we’ll see. But he was drafted because of his connection to Snyder, so it will either end in victory, or it will be a long, drawn-out break-up. Which really sucks.

For all the Analytics lovers...  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028205/article/2019-nfl-draft-dwayne-haskins-heads-day-1s-top-value-picks

1) Dwayne Haskins, QB, Washington Redskins Drafted No. 15 overall.

Despite having an obvious need at the most important position in the game, the Redskins were able to get the exact quarterback they were targeting without having to give up any trade equity. Last season, the Redskins only threw 16 total passing touchdowns (T-28th in the league) and only averaged 188.8 passing yards per game (also T-28th).

As for Haskins, the one-year starter from Ohio State is my highest-ranked player at the position in this draft and third in my overall rankings. One area that helps drive this? His production against the blitz. Last season, teams tested his mobility using the blitz and Haskins, in turn, carved them up. He threw 22 touchdowns to only two interceptions while only seeing a small decrease in completion percentage when blitzed (72.3 percent from a clean pocket, 65.2 percent when facing the blitz), according to Pro Football Focus. Despite the small on-field sample size that includes an outlier number of touchdowns (50!) last season, there are some clues about what the Redskins are getting in Haskins. One place where the quarterback's predictive indicators are strong? Finishing games. In the fourth quarter last season, he threw 14 touchdowns and only one interception, and his production increased at the end of the season.

Washington had 24 players on injured reserve last season, including seven offensive linemen. In other words, the Redskins were beyond banged up. When healthy, though, Washington's offensive line ranks among the top five units in the league, which will help shorten Haskins' learning curve

12 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

For all the Analytics lovers...  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028205/article/2019-nfl-draft-dwayne-haskins-heads-day-1s-top-value-picks

1) Dwayne Haskins, QB, Washington Redskins Drafted No. 15 overall.

Despite having an obvious need at the most important position in the game, the Redskins were able to get the exact quarterback they were targeting without having to give up any trade equity. Last season, the Redskins only threw 16 total passing touchdowns (T-28th in the league) and only averaged 188.8 passing yards per game (also T-28th).

As for Haskins, the one-year starter from Ohio State is my highest-ranked player at the position in this draft and third in my overall rankings. One area that helps drive this? His production against the blitz. Last season, teams tested his mobility using the blitz and Haskins, in turn, carved them up. He threw 22 touchdowns to only two interceptions while only seeing a small decrease in completion percentage when blitzed (72.3 percent from a clean pocket, 65.2 percent when facing the blitz), according to Pro Football Focus. Despite the small on-field sample size that includes an outlier number of touchdowns (50!) last season, there are some clues about what the Redskins are getting in Haskins. One place where the quarterback's predictive indicators are strong? Finishing games. In the fourth quarter last season, he threw 14 touchdowns and only one interception, and his production increased at the end of the season.

Washington had 24 players on injured reserve last season, including seven offensive linemen. In other words, the Redskins were beyond banged up. When healthy, though, Washington's offensive line ranks among the top five units in the league, which will help shorten Haskins' learning curve

We’ll see. I hope, as that is what we keep. Gonna play the Deja Vu album and crash. HTTRA

Gregg 2G's Rosenthal  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028204/article/2019-nfl-draft-day-1-winners-losers-redskins-up-giants-down

The Redskins found their franchise quarterback in the 2019 NFL Draft, and they didn't even need to trade up for him.

The discipline and good fortune that allowed Washington to stay at No. 15 overall before selectingDwayne Haskins there went against recent NFL norms. Entering Thursday night, 10 of the last 11 first-round picks at quarterback came via trades up in the draft, with the Browns' selection of Baker Mayfieldat No. 1 last year being the only exception.

The Giants also stood pat before taking their quarterback, Daniel Jones, at No. 6, leaving Haskins to fall to the Giants' division rivals. Sometimes it's better to be lucky and good, which is why the Redskins are leading my group of early winners from Day 1 of the 2019 NFL Draft.

Winners

Washington Redskins: Dwayne Haskins has a lot of traits that translate to the pros. He's a highly accurate passer who can throw receivers open and showed a mature ability to see the entire field. (He also had a priceless reaction to the Giants drafting Daniel Jones over him.) There's an argument to be made that Haskins has similar skills to Kirk Cousins and Andy Dalton, two former acolytes of Redskins coach Jay Gruden, but with a bigger arm.

The question is whether Gruden is on board with the pick. Multiple reports surfaced this week that Haskins was a favorite of the Redskins' front office, while the team's coaching staff and scouts didn't feel the same.

For any young quarterback, organizational cohesion and coaching continuity provide the best chance for success. Haskins inherits a situation in which Gruden (35-44-1 with one playoff appearance in five seasons at the helm) could be coaching to keep his job, and Haskins may not get a lot of time to develop. NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah predicted that Haskins would beat out Case Keenum and Colt McCoy to start Week 1. Haskins may have been selected after Jones, but he's more likely to be thrown into the fray soon.

If Haskins is a long-term gambit, trading back into the first round to draft edge rusher Montez Sweat was the sign of a team wanting to get better now. If not for concerns about a heart condition (which was possibly misdiagnosed), Sweat may have gone in the top 10. That's why the Redskins risked giving up next year's second-round pick in order to move up to No. 26 overall to draft him. (NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the Raiders were set to take Sweat at No. 27 if the Redskins didn't take him.)

For a franchise needing an infusion of energy and optimism after Alex Smith's leg injury -- which threw his future in doubt -- and a rough offseason, Haskins and Sweat provide hope.

Chad Reuter:  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028217/article/2019-nfl-draft-day-1-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams?icampaign=trendingNews

Washington Redskins
Draft pick: Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins (No. 15 overall); Mississippi State OLB Montez Sweat (No. 26 overall)
Day 1 grade: A- 
Draft analysis: The fact that they did not have to move up to get Haskins was a major bonus. His arm is live and he has the the ability to distribute the football to all parts of the field. Given the murky future of Alex Smith, finding Haskins waiting for them at No. 15 could prove to be franchise-changing. Finally, Washington traded up to grab Sweat, who will be a fine pass rusher if his heart condition does not prevent him from reaching his potential. They really needed depth at outside linebacker, where Sweat fits quite well. I am generally not enamored with giving up future second-round picks, but this guy's talent is worthy of taking that sort of chance.

43 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Richardson (inconsistent), Josh Doctson (disapointment), Jamison Crowder (good slot) Robert Davis, Brian Quick, Quinn, Maurice Harris, Sims

Good luck Dwayne

I completely agree here..if they know they were going qb want not invest in something the QB can throw to.

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

Murray going 1, based on film, something else I put down earlier than the rest, even on this forum, is big.

Check the date on this post:

On 1/10/2019 at 8:26 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Well, I don't think Kingsbury was spoiled for choice in HC opportunities.  Certainly not in the NFL.  That guy failed up.  But I think you could just as easily conclude that having the #1 pick was the selling point, not Rosen.

Every coach wants their own guy.

And that wasn't normal shining up an opposing player before you play him.  That was banging the table for him.  I recognize the emotion in his voice.

I almost can't believe this is happening.  If Arizona can get a firm commitment from Kyler to play football, they're going to trade Rosen and draft him #1 overall.

I posted that at the time in response to Schefter floating it as a possibility in the wake of the video of Kliff Kingsbury banging the table for Kyler Murray at Texas Tech being dug up.

Tytus Howard had a big combine and was being projected to the second round on nfl.com.  Going in the late first isn't a crazy leap from there.  Redskins fans turned on Haskins because Cooley trashed him.  For some reason Cooley's opinions hold a lot of sway.  It also isn't the first time in the past two drafts that a stud QB prospect dropped into teens behind a far less talented and accomplished QB, these things happen.  And I believe you were projecting Haskins to be a third or fourth round pick last night.  The Cutcliffe and Manning connection with Daniel Jones has been talked about for a long time, and at least as early as his bowl game Jones was considered a first round pick.  LJ Collier was a good find though, I'm surprised you aren't talking about that one.

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think we'll go after a Ohio St WR by jumping back into the second. 

Don't think we'll have to, TBH.  McLaurin is being projected into round 3, and Dixon is projected as a UDFA.  Dixon was his favorite guy to my eye, and McLaurin is who he tended to throw to in tough situations when he needed a safety valve.  Campbell is the spectacular big play guy with the highest ceiling, but he wasn't really a go-to option and I don't think he's an alpha receiver.  I wouldn't jump back up for him.

I would jump up for Metcalf or Butler, or I would sit tight in the third and let the draft come to me.  I think there is a good chance that Deebo will be available at our first pick in that round.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Don't think we'll have to, TBH.  McLaurin is being projected into round 3, and Dixon is projected as a UDFA.  Dixon was his favorite guy to my eye, and McLaurin is who he tended to throw to in tough situations when he needed a safety valve.  Campbell is the spectacular big play guy with the highest ceiling, but he wasn't really a go-to option and I don't think he's an alpha receiver.  I wouldn't jump back up for him.

I would jump up for Metcalf or Butler, or I would sit tight in the third and let the draft come to me.  I think there is a good chance that Deebo will be available at our first pick in that round.

Ok thanks, got to think we have a great chance to bag a WR on day2 in some capacity. 

Not sure whats the deal on OL, I did sarcastically comment in gone Bergstrom re-signing thread that it was a bad sign for the draft. Not sure how we prioritise OL right now in this draft, interested to see how we find a way to add at LG,WR plus DB/ILB depth, with a potential day three TE thrown in.

People seem mixed, but I think we have nailed the draft thus far.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Ok thanks, got to think we have a great chance to bag a WR on day2 in some capacity. 

Not sure whats the deal on OL, I did sarcastically comment in gone Bergstrom re-signing thread that it was a bad sign for the draft. Not sure how we prioritise OL right now in this draft, interested to see how we find a way to add at LG,WR plus DB/ILB depth, with a potential day three TE thrown in. 

People seem mixed, but I think we have nailed the draft thus far. 

We're drafting BPA, so I think an OL is going to have to be BPA for us to draft him.  That's not out of the question in round three, but I suspect there will be a run on the most talented guards in the second: Risner, Ford, Taylor, McCoy.  I think we're looking at a situation where Yodny Cajuste and Elgton Jenkins are the BPA candidates who might still be on the board when we pick in the third.

The Wisconsin and Oklahoma interior kids could be worth looking at sometime on the first half of day 3.  And I still like Mitch Hyatt as a potential 6th or 7th round utility guy who finds a way to make the team.

3 hours ago, wolfsire said:

Right......dude. He’s gonna play until guys trying to earn a job come at him in pre-season. If he passes that test, we’ll see. But he was drafted because of his connection to Snyder, so it will either end in victory, or it will be a long, drawn-out break-up. Which really sucks.

This, folks, is the sign of a beaten and battered fan who has totally lost perspective. And that's not a slight. I have empathy because this is how I've felt.

But... The Redskins didn't just take him because of his connection to Snyder. He was a top 2-3 quarterback in this draft. They took him because their grade had him at the top of their board. 

6 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Hope the next three picks (two 3s and the first 5th round pick) are used on whatever WR, OL, and TE is highest on their board at the time.

I can see them using a 3rd and a 5th to move back into the mid-to-end of the 2nd round.

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I can see them using a 3rd and a 5th to move back into the mid-to-end of the 2nd round.

It feels like it would make sense so they get an impact WR. However I think the stick as they can't afford to lose any more picks. Too many positions needing help at.

I don't think we're trading up.  Gruden insinuated just as much in his presser.  Nate Davis might be in play with our 3rd rounder.  We brought him in as a visit.  I could see us potentially trading down too to pick up a lost 4th.  

WRs left:

1)  DK  Metcalf

2)  AJ Brown  (I think if not Zona, then SF is a lock.  He'll be Kyle's Garcon)

3)  Deebo (only WR worth trading up for)

4)  Butler

5)  Campbell

6)  Arcega-Whiteside

7)  Harmon (might be there.  He was productive, but had bad measureables)

8-Boykin

9)  McLaurin 

TE is a major need.  Sucks that we have so many needs.

I'd rank them as:

1)  O-line

2)  FS

3)  WR

4)  TE

5)  MLB

6)  CB

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

giphy.gif

Went to bed after the Texans pick...a nice surprise this morning

Me too. I have to give credit where credit is due...The Redskins showed discipline and stayed at 15, allowing the board to come to them and got a QB that some consider the best in this class. Then, they pounce on Sweat who most considered a top 10 talent at pick 26. It's a good morning. 

I say stand pat with the two 3Rd round picks, target a WR (Andy Isabella would be my hope) and a potential starting caliber OG and this draft would already be considered a success IMO.

Just like last year with Payne and Guice, if you don't like the Haskins pick then, just pretend that Sweat was taken with the 15th and Haskins was traded up for at 26. If I told you that was how it was going to play out would you feel any better?

Archived