Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better Call Saul - Season 4

Switchgear

Looking forward to the season premiere tonight.  Though it doesn't have the benefit of Bryan Cranston's amazing performance, the writing on this show is every bit as good as its predecessor, Breaking Bad.

~~~

Season 4 trailer:

I've said it before, for me personally BCS was better sooner than Breaking Bad.  I really like Breaking Bad but I don't think the show took that extra step until Gus was introduced as an ultimate nemesis. I was late to the show and through 2 seasons I didn't necessarily understand why everyone loved it so much. Then I started to get it when Gus showed up.

BCS hooked me in immediately based on all of the characters. 

Good, not great episode for me.  Jimmy's dumping of blame on Howard for Chuck's death "Well Howard, that's a cross you'll have to bear" followed by him whistling away all carefree seemed just too abrupt and unnatural for me.

But the paranoia of "Gene," his Cinnabon alter ego, in the hospital and in the cab ride was extremely well done.  

I read a Q & A with Vince Gilligan where he discussed that as the show began, the Odenkirk character was intended to be mostly about Saul Goodman, but as the series progressed, they pumped the brakes on him becoming "full Saul" and felt it more interesting to explore the transition from Jimmy to Saul.  They have more creative leeway there, he said, without the constraints of the known Breaking Bad history.  Also, they became more and more intrigued by Cinnabon Gene in Omaha, again partly because they have a clean slate - untainted by BB - on where that narrative might go.

But the "Well Howard, that's a cross you'll have to bear" line was clearly a big step in the transformation from Jimmy to Saul, and after him brooding and mourning the whole hour, it seemed a bit too abrupt to me.

All in all, a minor quibble though.  Mike and Madrigal was a blast. Nacho's angst was riveting.

Can't wait for more.

~~~~

Did anyone stick around for "Lodge 49" after?  I did, and I'm intrigued.  Totally different vibe - Big Lebowski-ish.

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

Good, not great episode for me.  Jimmy's dumping of blame on Howard for Chuck's death "Well Howard, that's a cross you'll have to bear" followed by him whistling away all carefree seemed just too abrupt and unnatural for me....

~~~~

Did anyone stick around for "Lodge 49" after?  I did, and I'm intrigued.  Totally different vibe - Big Lebowski-ish.

I thought the same about that ending. I guess he was bothered the whole time because he knew something made Chuck snap, from anything electrical being out in the back yard. Maybe the brooding was more of him just being confused, and trying to piece together what caused Chuck to relapse, probably thinking he had to be part of the reason. Howard gave him his release from guilt, so he can go back to whistling and making coffee. He also probably actually enjoys the fact that Howard has feels horribly guilty. I watched that Lodge 49 show, and liked it. Had a few almost laugh out loud moments. A Big Lebowski vibe is pretty dead on.

That last line reminds us....Jimmy is the star of the show but he's not a good guy. 

He knew damn well he was the cause of the insurance problem and was more than happy to shift blame from himself to Howard.  The look on Kim's face was priceless. 

I believe the last conversation Jimmy and Chuck had ended witch Chuck saying something along the lines of "I'd respect you more if you just embraced Slippin' Jimmy instead of trying to fool everyone" and I think the end of the episode was him taking that and running with it.

I thought the premier was great. Mike showing up at his no-show job was a hilarious scene. He just couldn't sit there and collect HIS OWN money for nothing. But if the company is sloppy with certain things, they could be sloppy with his money and freedom. And he just can't sit back and expect it to work out on it's own. 

The flippant "cross" comment was absolutely jarring. Jimmy spent a lot of the episode saying nothing...stewing....grieving. But at the funeral, everyone came up to him to tell Jimmy how his brother was such a good...lawyer.That was the measure of the man to so many. And HHM dropped him the second it would cost them more money. So with that,  I could absolutely see Jimmy skirt the blame. 

Episode two had a lot of moving parts -

Nacho tries to get out. 

Kim tells off Howard. (Which was so well done because Kim’s rage is real. Howard isn’t really to blame for a good chunk of it, but as Chuck’s water carrier, he has to take it. So well done by both.) 

Jimmy goes job searching. Kinda...

Someone get Mike a security badge. 

Gus brings it. 

Yeah last night's episode was pretty awesome.  The chick that plays Kim is such a great actress, that scene where she went off on Howard is one of the best acted scenes I've seen on TV.  Very well done.

And holy hell Gus at the end ... WOW!

Jimmy's last minute pitch for the job at the copier store, followed by him calling them suckers and walking out, was a more realistic Jimmy -->Saul conversion moment than last week's.  He proved to himself yet again that he can con the best of them and showed open disdain for honest, trusting people.

7 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Episode two had a lot of moving parts -

Nacho tries to get out. 

Ignacio "Nacho" Varga is emerging as one of the most interesting characters on the show for me.  After all the drama with his father, he tells him he's out, only to have Gus Fring yank him back in.  How awful must it me to be a reluctant enforcer in that violent business.

--

Another thing that occurs to me after that episode... the bond between Kim and Jimmy is as strong as its ever been.  So whenever and however that relationship ends - and we know it will - it is going to be bad.

Archived