Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MF: New Guidelines Redefine Birth Years for Millennials, Gen-X, and 'Post-Millennials'

88Comrade2000

2 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

I have no problem being a millennial.  We're going to run the world soon anyway.

Yeah ... this millennial = slacker is nonsense. My millenial daughter is going to take over the world. First step is arresting all the corrupt boomers and gen-Xers. Anyone who even thinks about getting in her way will be crushed without mercy.

37 minutes ago, tshile said:

My only real issue with millennials is they think they're special but they're not. They get real upset when you tell them that. You're not special, everyone else has a degree now too, grow up your parents have spent enough time looking after you.

Said the parents of Baby Boomers throughout the 1970s (The Me Decade) and the parents of the so-called Slacker Generation.

Nothing you're saying is different from any other group of people in their 20s and 30s.

4 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Said the parents of Baby Boomers throughout the 1970s (The Me Decade) and the parents of the so-called Slacker Generation.

Nothing you're saying is different from any other group of people in their 20s and 30s.

Except it is, if you actually read the reports on it.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Except it is, if you actually read the reports on it.

You really think this is some magical era where young people think highly of themselves and want more? The only difference is people now have more avenues to broadcast it. I read on these trends every day for a living - I'm not saying that makes me some demographer but this is just common sense. Also, everybody of every age is now using social media to tell people how special they are, it is not a singular trait among people 22-38.

It sounds like you've had to deal with a few younger individuals at your office who are annoying - if that's true I'm sorry, but it doesn't mean they are any different than you or plenty of others were at their age. Anyway I'm not going to convince you so I'll leave it at agree to disagree.

+++

LIFE MAGAZINE - May 17, 1968 -  The Generation Gap

Partly, I am lazy; I don’t feel like working this summer. I am writing a book and taking a history course at Columbia. Even the dullest art history book gives me a greater sense of freedom than being imprisoned in an office. I don’t feel like being confined; I want my time to be at my own disposal. I suppose I’m spoiled. I’m copping out. My generation is notorious for its "cop-outs". (This quote was from a Baby Boomer named Rickie complaining about his job and the comments of an older man named Ernie who said he just needs to play the game)

TIME MAGAZINE - July 16, 1990 - The Next Generation

"Lazy, entitled, selfish, shallow, unambitious shoe-gazers … [who] have trouble making decisions. They would rather hike in the Himalayas than climb a corporate ladder … They crave entertainment, but their attention span is as short as one zap of a TV dial … They postpone marriage because they dread divorce. They sneer at Range Rovers and Rolexes. What they hold dear are family life, local activism, national parks, penny loafers and mountain bikes." (This was describing Generation X, at the time 11-25)

I think it might be naieve to think that 15 years of social media hasnt distorted opinions of self across society.  The chistorical comparisons dont really hold up in the information age.  Constant selfies and cruising for likes, i think its definitely had an effect.  Though i wouldnt limit it to just millenials, its a societal problem.

That said, if someone at my high school took a picture of their dinner and bragged about how good it was, they would get their ass kicked.  Nowadays its just how millenials eat lunch

I also feel like millenials are the least intimidating generation of all time.  In the 1980s or 70s when you walked past a group of teenagers it was a bit uncomfortable.  Ive never seen that with millenials.  Come to think of it i never see groups of teenagers anymore, theyre all pasty white sitting at home all day

Just jokes

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

You really think this is some magical era where young people think highly of themselves and want more? The only difference is people now have more avenues to broadcast it. I read on these trends every day for a living - I'm not saying that makes me some demographer but this is just common sense. Also, everybody of every age is now using social media to tell people how special they are, it is not a singular trait among people 22-38.

What?

i listed quite a few things that make them different. You said nothing I said makes them different. You’re wrong. 

20 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I was generation X for most of my life, since the original cutoff was 1960.  Still Gen-x when they moved it up to 62.  Then they moved it again to 64, and now it's 65.   So suddenly I'm a baby-boomer, even though I wasn't even in first grade when Woodstock happened...even though I am younger than Billy Idol, who was the original Generation Xer.

meh... can-it, old man.       

5 hours ago, zoony said:

So ive been told that gen x is historically small, by US generation standards.  And that millenials are the largest generation since the boomers.  Is this true?

ego?

belly?

penis size?

context matters..... 

41 minutes ago, zoony said:

I think it might be naieve to think that 15 years of social media hasnt distorted opinions of self across society.  The chistorical comparisons dont really hold up in the information age.  Constant selfies and cruising for likes, i think its definitely had an effect.  Though i wouldnt limit it to just millenials, its a societal problem.

That said, if someone at my high school took a picture of their dinner and bragged about how good it was, they would get their ass kicked.  Nowadays its just how millenials eat lunch

I also feel like millenials are the least intimidating generation of all time.  In the 1980s or 70s when you walked past a group of teenagers it was a bit uncomfortable.  Ive never seen that with millenials.  Come to think of it i never see groups of teenagers anymore, theyre all pasty white sitting at home all day

Just jokes

you should come to the mean streets of McLean this summer......    its like the Warriors, all over.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

What?

i listed quite a few things that make them different. You said nothing I said makes them different. You’re wrong. 

I bolded a specific part where you said your issue is Millennials think they're special, and I am saying that applies to everyone who has been in their 20s and early 30s and you can find older people railing on younger people for being entitled and thinking they are special in every modern decade. That's more to do with how American society has treated being in your 20s.

To zoony's point, there are absolutely differences that have been made because of the social media era of the internet, but at this point that narcissism applies to everyone, not just people between 22-38.

Your first post in this thread is the sentiment I was referring to - the oh heavens how could I be put in the same generation as XXX people, I'm not like them at all! Your generational label doesn't define you as an individual and a lot of the complaints about young people today (Generation Z) are not unique, that's all I'm saying.

On 7/15/2018 at 2:26 PM, Riggo-toni said:

I was generation X for most of my life, since the original cutoff was 1960.  Still Gen-x when they moved it up to 62.  Then they moved it again to 64, and now it's 65.   So suddenly I'm a baby-boomer, even though I wasn't even in first grade when Woodstock happened...even though I am younger than Billy Idol, who was the original Generation Xer.

What the heck are you talking about?  Boomers years have been identified as these years since before Gen-x existed. (Well 1965 used to be id'd as boomers so that is a change).

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

a majority of those born between 1961 and 1964 do not self-identify as boomers, and that they are culturally distinct from boomers in terms of shared historical experiences. Howe says that while many demographers use 1965 as a start date for Generation X, this is a statement about fertility in the population (birth rates which began declining in 1957, declined more sharply following 1964) and fails to take into consideration the shared history and cultural identity of the individuals. Strauss and Howe define Generation X as those born between 1961 and 1981.[11][12][13][14]

Millennials outraged after baseball team advertises 'Millennial Night' with avocados, participation ribbons and napping stations

In an effort to bring younger fans to the ballpark, the Montgomery Biscuits are hosting "Millennial Night" this weekend, but their advertising on social media set off an eruption of mixed feedback from the very group they’re trying to attract.

The Tampa Bay Rays’ Double-A affiliate, currently with a record of 15-11, tweeted last week: “Want free things without doing much work? Well you're in luck! Riverwalk Stadium will be millennial friendly on Saturday, July 21, with a participation ribbon giveaway just for showing up, napping and selfie stations, along with lots of avocados.”

Click on the link for the full article

The hard part about the generational labels is picking the demarcation lines

Personally I think there would be a substantial difference between those born (in the US) prior to 1952 and those born in 1955, because those born in '52 would have been (directly) effected by the draft, while those in '55 would not, since it ended in '73. 

From my generation (young gen X/borderline millenial) the only thing that really comes to mind is remembering a time when nuclear annihilation was still a plausible possibility and then the fall the Soviet Union.  But how old would you have had to have been for that to have an effect?  10 ? 15 ?   Then you also have the rise of the Internet, etc. but that was a pretty gradual process.   Same goes for social media/smart phones, etc.  

On 7/24/2018 at 7:37 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

Obama was almost a Gen xer , born in 61. He's more closer to gen x than baby boomers.

No he wasn't they've Id'd Boomers as 1945-1965 since the late 60s only recently did they take 1965 away.

Archived