Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

If Kyle was pushing for Settle, good enough for me.  Yeah Chris Russell has some massive man crush on Settle, he's relentless on twitter and on the radio.  

Just hit me though if Kyle was pushing for him in the third round and they took him in the 5th, who is making the decisions then?  It's one thing to hear in retrospect about when these things work out but wonder when they don't?

8 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Settle is looking good, really excited for him next season once he gets a little stronger.

Him and Payne in the middle could be the answer to Barkley, Wentz and Elliot for the next 5 years.. It's an exciting thought.

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Payne has answered all those doubts about him just being a run-stopper, and not a pass-rushing threat.

The guy is just so flippin big and strong.. even as a rookie.

Allen looks like an animal though, dude had some really hard tackles against running backs this week.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/aug/4/jonathan-allen-wants-to-take-play-to-next-level/

Now, Allen has his eyes on a new goal for 2018: take his play to the next level.

“I mean, I definitely feel like everybody has personal goals, but for me, it’s just to dominate and be more consistent. I feel like I was — before I got hurt, I was playing at a pretty high level,” Allen said. “But I want to be able to take that to the next level and be able to play like that every week, every game, and not have a good game or just an okay game.

“I want to be able to try to dominate every opponent, every snap, every game. So, when I say take it to the next level I really mean consistency.”

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017jallen.php

Player Comparison: Aaron Donald. Some have compared Allen to Ndamukong Suh, which I think is a fair comparison as well. I went with Donald because Donald and Allen are very similar in size and both are tremendous interior pass-rushers. Each was very consistent in college at getting to the quarterback with an excellent combination of strength and speed. Allen is also good off the field, like Donald, where as Suh can be selfish and a negative presence in the locker room. In the NFL, I think Allen will be a defensive lineman similar to Donald. 

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/3/14/14828682/jonathan-allen-scouting-report-breakdown-2017-nfl-draft

But on the overwhelming majority of plays I watched, Allen was whupping somebody's ass. That's the kind of player I want on my team, period.

Because he is so position diverse as well as scheme diverse, I can honestly say all 32 teams would benefit from drafting this kid. I will add that it would be a mistake for any of those 32 teams to pass on him if he is still on the board when they have a pick, if you get my drift.

And that brings me back to the Allen/Garrett comparison. I have to admit I might have been wrong about something in Garrett's breakdown.

Yeah, I can't believe it either.

I assumed that there wouldn't be a player in this class who was so much better than Garrett that the fans of the team that did draft Garrett would end up coveting the other guy.

After watching Allen's tape our lie detector determined that was a lie!

Allen was just so good in so many different spots, that I just feel like this guy is destined for greatness, the same way I thought Donald was destined for greatness. Allen doesn't have to worry about being labeled "too short" like they did with Donald. I don't know anybody who would say 6'3 is too short to play anywhere on the defensive line in this day and age. In some ways Allen should also benefit from what Donald has done so far in his career. A lot of teams are probably second guessing passing on him a couple years back.

*cough* Cleveland *cough*

Maybe, just maybe, those teams will think twice about making the same mistake again.

Of course Allen isn't the same kinda athlete that Donald is. Allen's motor, on the other hand, consistently runs way higher than Donald's did on his college tape.

There just aren't very many boxes that that Allen doesn't check off for what most teams are looking for in a defensive lineman. He has the size, ability, and technique that most defensive line coaches dream of getting in one player.

Biggest steal of #NFLDraft Jonathan Allen #Redskins Better coming out of college than Ndamukong Suh & I like him better than Solomon Thomas

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000728149/article/cowboys-scout-compares-jonathan-allen-to-ndamukong-suh%3FnetworkId%3D4595%26site%3D.news%26zone%3Dstory%26zoneUrl%3Durl%3Dstory%26zoneKeys%3Ds1%3Dstory%26env%3D%26pageKeyValues%3Dprtnr%3Dcollege-football%3Bteam%3Dmia%3Bteam%3Ddal%3Bteam%3Ddet%3Bconf%3Dafc%3Bconf%3Dnfc%3Bdvsn%3Dace%3Bdvsn%3Dnce%3Bdvsn%3Dncn%3Bplyr%3Dmarcell_dareus%3Bplyr%3Dndamukong_suh%3Bplyr%3Ddontari_poe%26p.ct%3DCFB%2B24%2F7%26p.adsm%3Dfalse%26p.tcm%3D%23ffffff%26p.bgc1m%3D%23000000%26sr%3Damp&ved=2ahUKEwir05i0qvjcAhXqY98KHVQKCQgQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3EQS-VIhgkF3S7YrpEzFHR&ampcf=1&cshid=1534654906019

Former Cowboys defensive lineman Marcus Spears, now an SEC Network analyst, cited a Cowboys scout who likens the Crimson Tide senior to Miami Dolphins star Ndamukong Suh.

"I was texting back and forth with one of the scouts from the Cowboys," Spears told The Paul Finebaum Show. " ... He was telling me he's probably as complete of a defensive lineman they've seen since (Ndamukong) Suh."

Some of the first-round defensive line talent drafted since Suh includes Marcell Dareus, J.J. Watt, Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe and Aaron Donald, though none of those players were selected as early as Suh (No. 2 overall in 2010). A day earlier than Spears provided insight into the Cowboys' thinking on Allen, NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah compared Allen to Suh as well.

Jonathan Allen looks like a quicker Suh on tape. He is a one man wrecking machine.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2685046-broken-childhood-and-controlled-rage-fuel-jonathan-allen-the-unstoppable-force

Broken Childhood and Controlled Rage Fuel Jonathan Allen, the Unstoppable Force

Archived