Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

2 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

You are damn right. That was a REALLY great Dline. 

Yeah, it was. He also finished up with 97 sacks over that time. He and Manley were as dangerous a group of DE's I've seen. And then Dave Butz in the middle? I mean, he was the rare guy that could push the pocket AND stop anything up the middle. Between he and Darrel Grant, forget about it. And of course Manley. Only LT had more sack in the 80's. Not too shabby.

7 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Yeah, it was. He also finished up with 97 sacks over that time. He and Manley were as dangerous a group of DE's I've seen. And then Dave Butz in the middle? I mean, he was the rare guy that could push the pocket AND stop anything up the middle. Between he and Darrel Grant, forget about it. And of course Manley. Only LT had more sack in the 80's. Not too shabby.

That whole defense was sick.  In 91 we didnt give up a point at home until our 4th home game... week 7 vs the Browns.   Vs Philly on Mon night... we allowed 4 first downs.... 4!!!!  THE WHOLE GAME!  And that includes us having turned the ball over 4 times! 

29 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

That whole defense was sick.  In 91 we didnt give up a point at home until our 4th home game... week 7 vs the Browns.   Vs Philly on Mon night... we allowed 4 first downs.... 4!!!!  THE WHOLE GAME!  And that includes us having turned the ball over 4 times! 

I may add that in that Eagles game, the defense held them to under 100 total yards of offense.  Yes that defense was very under the radar.

Fast-forward to 2017, against the Raiders, this feat was once again pulled off; the Raiders, a team many were high on, was held to that same level of competence. At that time, I thought maybe the defense was actually becoming something, but then it didn't.

Even if the offense doesn't shine this year, at least if one aspect of this team does, the defense, it would definitely be something to hang our hats on, but there is limited time to maintain it, the offense would need to really come together, because in this league, other teams have eyes on good d-players and will snatch em up if given the chance.

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I may add that in that Eagles game, the defense held them to under 100 total yards of offense.  Yes that defense was very under the radar.

Fast-forward to 2017, against the Raiders, this feat was once again pulled off; the Raiders, a team many were high on, was held to that same level of competence. At that time, I thought maybe the defense was actually becoming something, but then it didn't.

Even if the offense doesn't shine this year, at least if one aspect of this team does, the defense, it would definitely be something to hang our hats on, but there is limited time to maintain it, the offense would need to really come together, because in this league, other teams have eyes on good d-players and will snatch em up if given the chance.

Well the good news is that Payne and Allen are both under contract through 2021, and Ioannidis through 2019.  2020 could be an expensive offseason for us..

Scherff 

Ioannidis

Thompson

Foster

Swearinger

Doctson

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Well the good news is that Payne and Allen are both under contract through 2021, and Ioannidis through 2019.  2019 could be an expensive offseason for us..

Scherff 

Ioannidis

Thompson

Foster

Swearinger

And Doctson.  At least with Foster and Swearinger we have some intriguing talent waiting in the wings - most notably Hamilton and Blanding/Apke.  

I’m thinking Davis, McGee and Norman might come off the books by then, but there’s also Smith and Crowder this next year.  Gonna be a lot of decisions to make though, especially when you factor in guys that could step up this year or next.  

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Well the good news is that Payne and Allen are both under contract through 2021, and Ioannidis through 2019.  2019 could be an expensive offseason for us..

Scherff 

Ioannidis

Thompson

Foster

Swearinger

This is normal for teams that draft competently.  We got a small taste of it this offseason and what it could possibly be like with compensatory picks.

Good teams let good players walk, as part of a larger plan.  I give credit to the front office for the drafts since 2015 or so, theyve been solid.

39 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

And Doctson.  At least with Foster and Swearinger we have some intriguing talent waiting in the wings - most notably Hamilton and Blanding/Apke.  

I’m thinking Davis, McGee and Norman might come off the books by then, but there’s also Smith and Crowder this next year.  Gonna be a lot of decisions to make though, especially when you factor in guys that could step up this year or next.  

I'm a dope... completely got my wires crossed. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I like our potential as well but lets let Allen play more than a few games and Payne take an NFL snap before crowning em.

Agree. Lets let the world end before we talk about it. Why talk about things. None of us have been here for even a measly 1,000 years, the planet is billions of years old, how can we judge anything off of 20-50 years. Discussion ruins forums, I’m glad you were brave enough to say something. 

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Doc is signed THROUGH 19, so he's not til 2020....

Davis is a free agent in 19, but I didn't include him because I can't see him commanding a big payday.  

This is why I wonder if we're gonna make a play for Crowder, or if the team has concluded that this year is his final season here unless something crazy happens

There are rumors that suggest Washington turned down several decent offers for Crowder prior to the draft. Decent being 3rd round +.

19 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Doc is signed THROUGH 19, so he's not til 2020....

Davis is a free agent in 19, but I didn't include him because I can't see him commanding a big payday.  

This is why I wonder if we're gonna make a play for Crowder, or if the team has concluded that this year is his final season here unless something crazy happens

Got my years mixed up... though to be fair, all of the guys you mentioned (including Davis and Doctson) are listed by OTC as FAs in 2020.  Not sure where the disconnect is, but something’s off...

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Got my years mixed up... though to be fair, all of the guys you mentioned (including Davis and Doctson) are listed by OTC as FAs in 2020.  Not sure where the disconnect is, but something’s off...

I'm the disconnect... i'm a dope.  The 2019 FA class is gonna be Crowder and Smith... that was 100% my brain fart. 

I edited my original post to include your observation of Doctson.  

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm the disconnect... i'm a dope.  The 2019 FA class is gonna be Crowder and Smith... that was 100% my brain fart. 

I edited my original post to include your observation of Doctson.  

Haha, all good man. :)  

Regarding Scherff... this is his 4th year, I wonder if they use the 5th year option, extend him this year, or do both.  

It’s going to be an interesting next few years for sure.  We’ll have “aging” excellent players like Williams and Kerrigan to consider, good players like the ones you mentioned, and guys that seem to be trending up/guys with potential (Robinson, Nicholson, Moreau, Harris, the wr Davis, etc., etc.).  

I’m assuming that a big part of it has to do with the strides we’ve made in assembling a good roster and how you keep that going.  

The obvious answer is you draft well (and collect more draft picks to better your odds), re-sign your good players in their prime, let some expensive guys walk, re-sign what depth/potential you can, and add impact FAs (and some depth).  Putting that into action, doing it smartly, and having good luck in doing so is a lot to ask for though... particularly if we change up coaches/schemes/FOs in the near future.  

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure we knocked Randall and McMahon out of that game and Tommy Tupa had to throw some passes. 

Randall had been knocked out the week before, some claim that him getting a season ending injury in the first game as to why the Eagles failed in 1991 (they did have the best defense that year).  Tommy Tupa never played for Philly you probably are thinking of Pat Ryan.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Haha, all good man. :)  

Regarding Scherff... this is his 4th year, I wonder if they use the 5th year option, extend him this year, or do both.  

It’s going to be an interesting next few years for sure.  We’ll have “aging” excellent players like Williams and Kerrigan to consider, good players like the ones you mentioned, and guys that seem to be trending up/guys with potential (Robinson, Nicholson, Moreau, Harris, the wr Davis, etc., etc.).  

I’m assuming that a big part of it has to do with the strides we’ve made in assembling a good roster and how you keep that going.  

The obvious answer is you draft well (and collect more draft picks to better your odds), re-sign your good players in their prime, let some expensive guys walk, re-sign what depth/potential you can, and add impact FAs (and some depth).  Putting that into action, doing it smartly, and having good luck in doing so is a lot to ask for though... particularly if we change up coaches/schemes/FOs in the near future.  

They already did, which is why THIS year we're paying him $705K, and NEXT year we're paying him $12.525 mil.  I kind of actually wonder why we didnt just (and we may have) try to get him locked in long term... i guess to break up the need of handing out big contracts? 

53 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

They already did, which is why THIS year we're paying him $705K, and NEXT year we're paying him $12.525 mil.  I kind of actually wonder why we didnt just (and we may have) try to get him locked in long term... i guess to break up the need of handing out big contracts? 

The conspiracy guy in me says that it is because he is a Scott guy. :chair:

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Randall had been knocked out the week before, some claim that him getting a season ending injury in the first game as to why the Eagles failed in 1991 (they did have the best defense that year).  Tommy Tupa never played for Philly you probably are thinking of Pat Ryan.

I always think it's Tupa that was their punter. I was a senior in high school. Watched that SB on an aircraft carrier near France. I still think that eagles D was that best all time. 

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

It also helps to have a Hall of Fame QB while executing this type of plan lol

Totally agree with you though. 

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Payne is going to be so insanely great in this league and he's only 20 yo. We might have the next Reggie White and he's actually surrounded by other talent in the front 7. I'm so excited about this kid and have been since before we drafted him. 

Payne looks like he is going to be a ****ing monster. I mean, he was so good, he made Ziggy Hood look pretty good at DE ;)

All kidding aside, I loved how he stuffed the run, AND got after the QB. He, Allen and Matty I are going to be nasty.

Archived