Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

I'm with @Morneblade in regard to Lanier. He's a decent pass rusher, but he's so brutally bad vs the run that it's hard for me to like him. He will likely make the team, but I don't want to see him in on anything other than 3rd and longs. 

I'm becoming very concerned with our backup OLBs. Anderson couldn't beat the Jets' scrubs and McPhee was invisible. McKinzy dominated the Jets' scrubs, which doesn't mean that I think he should make the team over the aforementioned players, but the coaches need to set pride aside when making the cuts. I've heard good things about Robertson in camp and was hoping to see something, but didn't.

Regardless, our starting front 7, assuming they stay healthy all year (which is laughable for us), is very strong. In the secondary, I have complete confidence in Norman, Swearinger and Nicholson and I'm hoping that Moreau and Dunbar can show progress next week when they'll play all half. I like the young talent behind them.

Praying for finally a healthy year because if we get it, this D will be pretty damn good.

19 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

we held our own against Rams and Raiders... KC tore us apart.  But yes our D was A LOT better before Allen went down vs Philly.. Then the dominoes fell. 

At some point in the 4th quarter it was rough, but KC didnt tear us apart that game. In fact we were shutting them down for awhile, doing a really good job. We DID miss plays int he 4th quarter which hurt us, but I also think part of that was because the offense wasnt staying on the field so our D didnt get a rest and tired out.

That was a game where if our offense made the plays that were there, like dropped touchdowns, and kept drives alive we win.

2 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I'm with @Morneblade in regard to Lanier. He's a decent pass rusher, but he's so brutally bad vs the run that it's hard for me to like him. He will likely make the team, but I don't want to see him in on anything other than 3rd and longs. 

I'm becoming very concerned with our backup OLBs. Anderson couldn't beat the Jets' scrubs and McPhee was invisible. McKinzy dominated the Jets' scrubs, which doesn't mean that I think he should make the team over the aforementioned players, but the coaches need to set pride aside when making the cuts. I've heard good things about Robertson in camp and was hoping to see something, but didn't.

Regardless, our starting front 7, assuming they stay healthy all year (which is laughable for us), is very strong. In the secondary, I have complete confidence in Norman, Swearinger and Nicholson and I'm hoping that Moreau and Dunbar can show progress next week when they'll play all half. I like the young talent behind them.

Praying for finally a healthy year because if we get it, this D will be pretty damn good.

The Jets kept most of the starting OL out there, so Anderson was going against the 1's. But I agree, neither he or McPhee showed much. As for the depth Jerod Hernandez had some really nice plays, including a big stuff near the goal line. But he is small for a OLB.

5 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

At some point in the 4th quarter it was rough, but KC didnt tear us apart that game. In fact we were shutting them down for awhile, doing a really good job. We DID miss plays int he 4th quarter which hurt us, but I also think part of that was because the offense wasnt staying on the field so our D didnt get a rest and tired out.

That was a game where if our offense made the plays that were there, like dropped touchdowns, and kept drives alive we win.

We were controlling that game, but the momentum swung quick toward the end of the 2nd half... and KC did what most teams did against us... scored to finish the half, then scored to open the 3rd quarter.  KC had 429 total yards of offense... I will say the D stood up enough and we had a chance to win that game, but i don't believe it was 'domination' the same way we handled LAR and OAK. 

18 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

The Jets kept most of the starting OL out there, so Anderson was going against the 1's. But I agree, neither he or McPhee showed much. As for the depth Jerod Hernandez had some really nice plays, including a big stuff near the goal line. But he is small for a OLB.

Anderson was still playing pretty late into the game (unless we have a backup OLB #52 who I was confusing him with, didn't have my glasses on). The fact of the matter is that he didn't make a play vs 1s and didn't make a play vs scrubs, no bueno... I held out hope that he'd take a sophomore leap, but I've lost quite a bit of that optimism.

7 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Anderson was still playing pretty late into the game (unless we have a backup OLB #52 who I was confusing him with, didn't have my glasses on). The fact of the matter is that he didn't make a play vs 1s and didn't make a play vs scrubs, no bueno... I held out hope that he'd take a sophomore leap, but I've lost quite a bit of that optimism.

I don't know how many 2nd teams the Jets had on the OL last night in the 2nd half, if any. Spencer Long played the whole game, and I thing they had most of the staring OL out there, just so Bridgewater would not face a lot of pressure, coming back from that horrific knee injury. But he did not do much, granted.

42 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

We were controlling that game, but the momentum swung quick toward the end of the 2nd half... and KC did what most teams did against us... scored to finish the half, then scored to open the 3rd quarter.  KC had 429 total yards of offense... I will say the D stood up enough and we had a chance to win that game, but i don't believe it was 'domination' the same way we handled LAR and OAK. 

Agreed, we dominated LAR and OAK and though it started out that way with KC, definitely didnt end that way.

I had forgotten how we always gave up points at the end of the half basically every game. Thanks for reminding of that nightmare.... ;D

11 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Agreed, we dominated LAR and OAK and though it started out that way with KC, definitely didnt end that way.

I had forgotten how we always gave up points at the end of the half basically every game. Thanks for reminding of that nightmare.... ;D

Man it was bbbaadddd... I remember dreading the last 5 minutes of the first half.. At times I would almost get upset if we scored points, because i didnt want to give possession back with ANY time left. 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Man it was bbbaadddd... I remember dreading the last 5 minutes of the first half.. At times I would almost get upset if we scored points, because i didnt want to give possession back with ANY time left. 

Yeah, thats all coming back to me now. I had blocked it out all this offseason. It was basically a given that a team would score regardless of how much time was on the clock at the end of the half.

12 minutes ago, dyst said:

Is Settle more trim then he was in college? His youtube clips look pudgy but with Skins he seems more lean.

I'm sure he's leaned out a little bit... being with the big club.  They probably dont want to mess with his weight much but being able to work out with an NFL players schedule, dietitian, and training staff probably allows him to focus on certain areas better.  

Archived