Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

You do realize that we just held the top rushing team to 18 carries 81 yards.  With one of them being a wr reverse for 18 yards.  Meaning we held Cam and McCaffrey to 17 carries for 63 yards 3.7 ypc.  There lowest of the season

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

The tackles are doing their jobs, the guys on the outside need some help.

Payne looks like a good pick, not dominant yet but I think with some experience and maturity he can be that disrupting type of player.

That dominant allpro disruption player. Hopefully. 

1 hour ago, dckey said:

You do realize that we just held the top rushing team to 18 carries 81 yards.  With one of them being a wr reverse for 18 yards.  Meaning we held Cam and McCaffrey to 17 carries for 63 yards 3.7 ypc.  There lowest of the season

Get out of here with your facts and stats! This is raw emotion for a lack of sacks! 

13 hours ago, carex said:

let's hope we can do it with Zeke and Dak

You know, back when we had to play Troy, Emmitt and Michael every year, at least we were getting beaten down by guys with respectable-sounding names.

"Zeke" and "Dak" sound like some characters you'd run into passing through Deliverance. Dez completed that team in more ways than one.

Bama boys were non existent yesterday, 2 First round picks on the D line need to have more of a presence then they did yesterday.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

Ryan Anderson needs to play more. Kerrigan is a disgrace.

giphy.gif

I am more than happy with our DL.  Look, there's no JJ Watt type of disruptive down lineman, But they're stout against the run, which has been a big problem for this team for a long time.  I mean, we were dead last in the league against the run last year, now they're top 5 so far.  I'm not going to give the DL too much of a hard time. And I hadn't checked the snap counts, so I'm not sure how much they're rotating, but it seems to be working.

I need the edges to help those guys out though and get more pressure, force QBs to step up into sacks/bad decisions or contested throws.  They needed a speed rusher for a long time, they tried to get that with Galette, that didn't really work out, they didn't go back to it. 

36 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I believe Tim Settle would cause more disruption in the middle than most of our DLine... he's got the NT size at OLB speed.

Allen and Payne are faster than Settle... 

I think a lot of our lack of rush is by design.  We were not bringing a bunch of pressure on purpose yesterday.   It was ultimately the contain game.  You bring 7 people at Cam and lose contain, him and McCaffrey destroy you.  Preston Smith was LITERALLY in man coverage vs Olsen at one point.  Kerrigan got the pressure to force the INT.  On Zach Brown's sack, Kerrigan was crashing down hard on McCaffrey on the read/option, and Brown's speed allowed him to beat the blocker to Cam.   

I was talking to a buddy of mine about how it appears we're not getting push from our outside studs.  I think it's got less to do with them, and more to do with the fact that we have such an improvement on the interior.  We're not FORCING them to be the value on the defensive front.  We have talent on that line.  Anyone worth a damn is going to look like a stud when you have Stacy McGee as your starting NT.  Kerrigan HAD to be the pass rush, and it actually made him a liability in the run game before.  Now it appears him and Smith are playing a much more balanced game, because we're not desperately rushing them EVERY play because we don't have any other choice.  We can play that type of a defensive game like we did yesterday, where players have multiple assignments.  When you have Kerrigan / Smith and NOTHING else on the interior, you tell them to see ball / get ball, because NOBODY else is good enough to do it.   

Much of the Dline scheme goes over my head, but it does appear the unit’s goal is to collapse the pocket together and maintain discipline. It would appear the line was successful as Newton wasn’t a playmaking threat much during game. 

Any coaches on here who can provide some in-depth insight? 

We clearly built our game plan on stopping the run yesterday and it worked.  For example, Kerrigan didn't play contain on the zone read, he was assigned to crash on every dive and have the linebackers scrape.  It was a smart strategy.  McCaffery is Carolina's best and most dangerous weapon by far.  Neutralizing him neutered their offense.

Every good defense prioritizes stopping the run first.  Carolina is a run dominant Norv Turner offense.  Carolina's personnel on the outside is not very good.  They were frequently off schedule.  Cam is not a good deep passer.  It was the kind of game where you just sit back in basic coverages, mind your run fits, and focus on winning that real battle at the line of scrimmage.  It was a strong performance by the defensive front.  Focusing solely on sacks to measure their performance in a game like that is watching the game through a straw.  We won that game because our defensive front played so well.

Archived