Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

Quick shout out to Mr. Zach Brown. He started off with a couple of very bad run defenses, but he seemed to shake that off and get it together after the initial possession. Good on you, man. :) 

9 minutes ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

Question for the scheme savvy: Was the lack of QB pressure possibly due to our guys being more focused on containing the RB and possible draw plays etc? They were obviously pretty solid in run defense, so maybe they just keyed in on Johnson all game and didn't give any respect to Bradford.

After watching through, I would say it was a mix of this, but that some was simply not dominating the edges as we come to expect. Bradford didn't really hold the ball for long also. 

I'm really going to enjoy watching this defense. Payne might be my favorite player already. I mean my goodness, you can't ignore him. Allen and Iaon will be unstoppable this year. Mason and Brown were having a blast and Anderson was looking like our best OLB. Our front 7 is ****ing legit. 

You can not run on us. That makes me so damn happy. 

37 minutes ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

Question for the scheme savvy: Was the lack of QB pressure possibly due to our guys being more focused on containing the RB and possible draw plays etc? They were obviously pretty solid in run defense, so maybe they just keyed in on Johnson all game and didn't give any respect to Bradford.

Looked like plenty of pressure and with very little blitzing. Allen and Iaon were constantly getting back there. Bradford never had a rhythm, was constantly forced to throw too soon and quickly creating drops and they couldn't get deep at all. 

Pressure without the blitz leaves guys to cover the short throws, while the long ones are taken away. 

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm really going to enjoy watching this defense. Payne might be my favorite player already. I mean my goodness, you can't ignore him. Allen and Iaon will be unstoppable this year. Mason and Brown were having a blast and Anderson was looking like our best OLB. Our front 7 is ****ing legit. 

You can not run on us. That makes me so damn happy. 

Looked like plenty of pressure and with very little blitzing. Allen and Iaon were constantly getting back there. Bradford never had a rhythm, was constantly forced to throw too soon and quickly creating drops and they couldn't get deep at all. 

Pressure without the blitz leaves guys to cover the short throws, while the long ones are taken away. 

Fair enough. I did see more pressure as the game progressed, just not early on as much. I guess I was hoping we'd get right back to playing how we did early last year with the DL crushing down on every other play. I'm sure each game will get better and better, especially when we play against teams with weaker OLs.

9 minutes ago, HOGPOWER said:

Yeah, I think those two are going to be All-Pro for years to come. That's really going to be the foundation of the team, at least in my opinion. 

Don't forget Anderson. Dudes a monster against the run. 

29 minutes ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

Fair enough. I did see more pressure as the game progressed, just not early on as much. I guess I was hoping we'd get right back to playing how we did early last year with the DL crushing down on every other play. I'm sure each game will get better and better, especially when we play against teams with weaker OLs.

Their strength is their run game. We immediately took that away. By the second half they had to pass. First half our offense gambled and second half more conservative. Defense did the opposite. That's how it should work. 

We didn't get explosive off the snap pressure but thats largely because we weren't blitzing much. The few times we blitzed we got there but we managed to get solid pressure rushing just 4, forcing Bradford to throw into coverage which he can't do(especially when you get him off balance). We also don't have that speedy explosive off the edge rusher. I think it was clear the gameplan was to just contain Johnson and force Bradford into throwing into coverage which obviously worked. The few big runs we gave up were to me more so on the LBs(Brown looked slow early and I don't think Foster has his legs just yet).

Jon Allen is a massive force multiplier. The difference in our D when he's in vs. when he's out is astounding, even going back to last season. He may not put up huge #s or make the highlight reel play but the foundation of our D is centered around him. Payne is already attracting double teams and Ion Man is going to be the best 3rd DT in the league.

Remember, the Cards made changes to their OL. They signed Iupati and Pugh and drafted someone new at C. They aren't as bad as last year's OL but we pushed them around up front.

We're still young on the DL but I think in a year or two if everyone stays healthy and keeps developing we could have the best DL in the league.

The defensive front will be even better when Brantley suits up...

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-gators-caleb-brantley-nfl-draft-2017

http://gatorbytes.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/03/17/gators-dt-caleb-brantley-im-the-best-d-lineman-in-the-country/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/redskins-sign-ex-browns-lineman-caleb-brantley-090318%3famp=true

“I feel like I can add pressure up the middle and just be a disruptive force,” Brantley said. “I just get in there and get vertical and penetrate. And I feel like I can be that kind of player here. I feel like I can learn a lot from Coach Tomsula. He’s one of the best D-line coaches. I’m just looking forward to learning from him and just doing what he asks me to do.”

https://florida.rivals.com/news/brantley-announces-he-will-enter-2017-nfl-draft

“Brantley is probably as good a player as any in college football in his position, in terms of how difficult he is to block,” Alabama head coach Nick Saban said, “and I think that's what makes great defensive players.”

19 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

@98ORAKPO98 Damn, Brantley looks just dominant in those clips. 

Remind me again why he got cut by the Browns? Lazy? Injured? Headcase? None of the above?

Majority of opinion seemed to center around him "not taking the next step of progression" in TC/preseason. That he had Jekyll and Hyde effort from play to play, and was a general disappointment compared to what he was capable of. 

2 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Majority of opinion seemed to center around him "not taking the next step of progression" in TC/preseason. That he had Jekyll and Hyde effort from play to play, and was a general disappointment compared to what he was capable of. 

Wonder how much that plays on a young guy like Brantley, playing in a loser environment like Cleveland...  Probably a good change of scenery for this guy.  If he was stymied by the Browns culture and environment then he'll benefit tremendously from this move and being coached by Tomsula.  Win - Win pick up imo

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Wonder how much that plays on a young guy like Brantley, playing in a loser environment like Cleveland...  Probably a good change of scenery for this guy.  If he was stymied by the Browns culture and environment then he'll benefit tremendously from this move and being coached by Tomsula.  Win - Win pick up imo

Having Tomsula in house, the move is brilliant. Not a costly addition, and Brantley has to know it's do or die in DC for his career. Yes indeed, win-win. :) 

I'm gonna go @98ORAKPO98 For a second here and make a prediction. 

In years to come division rivals will say things like "remember that time the redskins got Payne, Settle and Brantley in the same off-season, when they already had Allen and Iaon?" and someone will go "yeah, that was bull****". 

And we'll laugh and laugh and laugh. 

Not saying you’re wrong, but they averaged 6 ypc that first drive and then it pretty much went steadily down until their 7th drive, late in the 3rd, when we were up by 21.  

1) 2, 10, 11, 1 (4/24)

2) 0 (5/24)

3) 2 (on 3rd and 10 - 6/26)

4) Kneel down (only play of drive)

5) 1 (7/27)

6) 4 (8/31)

7) 8 (9/39)

9) 8, 3, 9, 7, 2 (14/68, though that 2 yarder was for a TD.  The other carries of the drive were not by Johnson)

9) No runs

10) No runs

Those run stops on drives 2, 3 and 5 put them behind the sticks of course.  They also shot themselves in the foot with penalties.  

Anyway, it’s going to be a question mark until we see 1) how we fare against other opponents, and 2) how Arizona fares against others.  

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

When you look at the numbers they show that Arizona averaged 4.5 yards per rush which is pretty good and was also better than what we averaged (4.3).

They just couldn't move the chains to create more opportunities to run the ball.

Archived