Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

4 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Jimmy Graham will hang 200 yards on us... we've never been good at covering TE's over the middle.

2 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

My guess is that Randall Cobb will light it up from the slot.

I think you both are correct. People forget how unstoppable Graham was when he has a real QB throwing to him in NO. And Cobb generally kills us. This could be a blood bath.

8 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Run defense still sucks, but our D is top 3 overall so far according to PFF.  

You'll notice that the two teams who played the Cardinals so far are in the top 3...

Also notice that the Colts are #6 with the #1 grade up the middle. It is possible that in the end the Colts are a much better team than we thought. It's just two games but that's true for us also. Could be we re more like game #1 than gm #2. Too early to tell really. But give the Colts D credit. They made our offense look horrible - not that they needed much help. They were doing a good enough job of making themselves look horrible. 

And let's get grounded here. The run D does not "suck". The team is ranked 10th. Not awesome but certainly better than last years. In terms of yds the entire D is 1st and the passing D is 1st. The team is 2nd in scoring. Ok it's "just two games". But the data is the data. Saying they suck after two games despite being ranked at or near the top in virtually every meaningful category makes no sense. 

The problem against the Colts was 100% the offense. The D easily played well enough to win the game, even getting a few timely turn overs. Ok, they gave up some early yds on the ground. They adjusted. 

I am as pissed  about the result of the game last week as anyone. But let's not just broad stroke the thing. The offense - game plan, lack of adjustments, execution, the entire thing was ****. But the D actually played pretty well. 

13 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I think you both are correct. People forget how unstoppable Graham was when he has a real QB throwing to him in NO. And Cobb generally kills us. This could be a blood bath.

You're saying I should start Cobb on my fantasy team then? :)

But Fabiano says to sit Cobb cause the Redskins have actually done well against slot receivers this season:

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap3000000963983/article/start-em-sit-em-week-3-wide-receivers

On 9/21/2018 at 10:40 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's a good player, he'll come around.

Smith is the one I'm more concerned with.  He's got fringe Pro-Bowl talent but he hasn't put it all together for a season yet.  Some games he'll just destroy the line of scrimmage and then he'll disappear for two games immediately after.

I've never seen this "Pro Bowl talent" with Smith. He is the slowest edge rusher I've seen in a while. If he can't get it going in a contract year we can chalk it up as another miss by Scott M.  

8 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I've never seen this "Pro Bowl talent" with Smith. He is the slowest edge rusher I've seen in a while. If he can't get it going in a contract year we can chalk it up as another miss by Scott M.  

I'd hate to agree with you.  But Preston hasn't looked good.  Much to be desired.

Shout out to big Matt, and DaRon Payne for sacks today.  We could really use some more timely sacks from the front seven though.  But I'm happy. :)

How about that Jonathon Allen fella? Thinking he’s pretty good. 

I know there were times where Rodgers escaped and we couldn’t quite get there , but this was promising. 4 sacks all from our D line, all of whom are under 25. They’ll only get better with time. 

On 9/21/2018 at 5:37 PM, Morneblade said:

I will be taking the 2 most dangerous players of opposing teams and predicting them to have career days for the rest of the year. As you can see by this earlier post, the accuracy in which I can predict this is infallible. You can thank me later. ;)

5 minutes ago, method man said:

This team needs Galette back for the speed rush. I don't have PFF access so not sure how McPhee's grades look like but, if I were to guess, he's doing above average as a run defender and below average as a pass rusher

I'd likely better than Kerigan though, who has posted a doughnut for 3 games.

2 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Best highlight of the game for me was the "Greek" taking his guy and depositing him on the lap of Rodgers.  Man that was a great rush.

Yeah dude, he made Bulaga into a damn blocking sled. HTTR!!!

Allen is a stone cold stud. Dude looked like Aaron Donald today. He should be going to Hawaii, although in the NFC its tough with the aforementioned Donald along with guys like Suh and Cox. Ion has also been great, man that power move for a sack was awesome. Payne is still a little inconsistent and right now I'd have him in some kind of rotation with Settle and/or Hood, but the talent is there and he'll be good eventually.

Man just wait another year or two when these guys are all in their physical prime. Could be a special front. I still think in the long run we're better off going 4-3 with Ion at one DE and Payne and Allen at DT and find another DE. Kerrigan appears finished and Smith is a ghost 90% of the time.

Archived