Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’d strongly consider bringing in Galette, and I’d even consider a signing him for more than 1 year (for multiple reasons).  

Agree with you there, and I'm sure galette would jump at the chance of a multi year deal, considering how this off-season went for him.  I think Preston may command a lot more than he is worth, and having gallette on board until we draft/develop a young olb would be very cost effective. 

29 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Agree with you there, and I'm sure galette would jump at the chance of a multi year deal, considering how this off-season went for him.  I think Preston may command a lot more than he is worth, and having gallette on board until we draft/develop a young olb would be very cost effective. 

Yep, that’s one of my reasons.  Adds a speed rusher, McPhee and Smith are both FAs next year, he’d come cheap, he’s proven, knows the D, and Anderson is still a question mark.  I’m not sure what’s going on with Kerrigan, but that’s a factor as well.  

Even the best of defensive lines need help with schemes and blitzing to consistently pressure QBs.  Short of one guy having an OL's number, and the OC doing nothing about it. 

It's hard to grade 3-4 DL who spend most of their time in a 2-4-5. For they are supposed to be engaging blockers freeing up the ILBs for tackles and OLBs for glorious sacks.  

I want to see more stunting and creativity in the first half on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

It was running along the NFLN ticker yesterday... Skins 4th in the league at bringing the blitz.  (I think it was something around 36% of defensive plays)

So gotta ask, does putting that 4th man on the line count as a blitz? We tend to do that a lot. Guess what I'm getting at is i haven't seen a kitchen sink defense this year, if we are blitzing it doesn't look exotic at all.

26 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Even the best of defensive lines need help with schemes and blitzing to consistently pressure QBs.  Short of one guy having an OL's number, and the OC doing nothing about it. 

It's hard to grade 3-4 DL who spend most of their time in a 2-4-5. For they are supposed to be engaging blockers freeing up the ILBs for tackles and OLBs for glorious sacks.  

I want to see more stunting and creativity in the first half on Sunday.

While I agree - I think we do need a change up in the game plan because if we give Rodgers time he will pick us apart. -

This is an odd game compared to the other two we have played - In game 1 we had to stop the run - which we did - Game 2 we had to limit the quick strike offence of the Colts - which we kind of did - They only had three drives of note and i thought, having actually watched the game a couple of times the defence was solid and disruptive  - Unfortunately the offence couldn't get the ball in the Endzone - even though they had more TOP and scoring drives...

This week it has to be about hitting the QB - Rodgers is going to be hurting - But I have mixed feeling about actually knocking him out of the game ( i am not overly convinced he will play)  - because I have the feeling Kiezer (if he is the guy) is going to be way more prepared for us than we are for him   .- However I think the Packers are going to try and do to us what they did in the playoff game a few years back and go into a kind of hurry up offence with quick passes - so to counter that I can see  the game plan to be similar to before - rush 4 and drop 7 into the intermediate zones and snuff out the YAC 

On 9/19/2018 at 10:48 AM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

The DL is a solid rotation so the starter thing isn't an issue really. Hood could go for me. So could a few others. I think I'd have Hankins on the roster before Doctson these days, irrespective of position.

Hood is a huge liability. Every time he was in the game it seemed like the Colts went after him and capitalized. 

6 hours ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

It was running along the NFLN ticker yesterday... Skins 4th in the league at bringing the blitz.  (I think it was something around 36% of defensive plays)

We are the kings of almost sacks. It's crazy how close we get, and the QB is able to get it off just in time... normally for a 1st down. 

On 9/19/2018 at 8:58 AM, -JB- said:

Dude if you think the Redskins are gonna just give up only 14 points per game, you’re smoking.  The offense has to score more than 9 ****ing points and you know it.

I quit smoking a year ago this month, but I'm not talking.... anyway.  

As I clearly said the offense was the big  problem, not quite sure how you didn't catch that part.  But the defense was not without fault either for giving up that long, game clinching drive that took up a big chunk of that 4th quarter to put them down 2 scores. 

Yeah, Kerrigan is off to a slow start this year.  I thought having Payne, Allen, and Ionnaidas on the line would lead to him getting more pressure, but he's been pretty abysmal so far.  I think we got to Luck once last week - and they had 2 backups (even a 3rd stringer) at OT.  NOT GOOD.  GET GOOD.

On 9/20/2018 at 8:07 AM, bedlamVR said:

While I agree - I think we do need a change up in the game plan because if we give Rodgers time he will pick us apart. -

The way he plays against the blitz...I'd be real reluctant to commit too much to it.

RODGERS-PK.png

I know one thing though, if they come out and have success against us on those pick plays, and we don't switch to zone, I'm thinking I'm done with Manusky.  

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's a good player, he'll come around.

Smith is the one I'm more concerned with.  He's got fringe Pro-Bowl talent but he hasn't put it all together for a season yet.  Some games he'll just destroy the line of scrimmage and then he'll disappear for two games immediately after.

Honestly, he's due for a big payday this offseason. If he doesn't show it, we let him walk and target an elite pass rusher in the draft (lord knows we will likely be picking high enough to grab one at the rate we are going...)

PFF appears to be spot on with what my eyes are seeing on this D. Some real good players, but some real underperformers early.

Its annoying because last year our edge rush was pretty good but our interior push sucked. This year, complete opposite.

Explosive edge rusher has to be our top priority in next year's draft.

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

PFF appears to be spot on with what my eyes are seeing on this D. Some real good players, but some real underperformers early.

Its annoying because last year our edge rush was pretty good but our interior push sucked. This year, complete opposite.

Explosive edge rusher has to be our top priority in next year's draft.

Looks like they have Jonathan Allen as the early stud with Ionnaidis behind him.  And Payne being just ok. 

Archived