Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

9 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I agree with you, but it is on the same building and when the general public gets a view of it from the street you will see one flag above all others. If it was on a separate building or the building was so large that the flag on top could not be seen, then I totally agree that this display is not appropriate. 

This is based on the assumption that the flag can be seen from the street above all other flags. If not, then yes, I believe The White House is wrong here. 

Yeah, not sure what that view looks like. 

it’s also hard to care when clearly so many people don’t. Just unfortunate the way people are. Basic respect for the flag seems like a simple and worthwhile thing to me, yet so many don’t even bother. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

This is based on the assumption that the flag can be seen from the street above all other flags. If not, then yes, I believe The White House is wrong here. 

You make a good point and somehow it makes be agree with Tsorbo more. The fact that you can get close enough to not see the flag on the top kinda makes it a different display imo. 

1 minute ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Who’s TSorbo and was he referenced in this flag discussion and I’m missing it?

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

It’s just Beal trolling as usual

for some reason the fact that all he does is troll gets a pass from the mods 🤷‍♂️ 

I fully expect to get a warning from that post, but I don’t think you’re the guy to call out the mods for anything.  And I’m pretty sure you know that.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I fully expect to get a warning from that post, but I don’t think you’re the guy to call out the mods for anything.  And I’m pretty sure you know that.

I have rarely received any warnings from the mods. I actually try to participate

you, on the other hand, offer nothing but trolling. You like to take shots at people but never put your opinions out there. 

And most of the shots you take are indicative of an idiot that can’t follow a conversation or actually understand who it is you’re taking shots at anyways. There rarely good, mostly based on being wrong 🤷‍♂️ 

2 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Well same to you fella. 🤣

Hey I’m ok with that ❤️ 

• Haha 1

Just now, CobraCommander said:

So correct me if I'm wrong but all this flag code stuff is simply etiquette and none of it is enforceable law, right? 

much of it is. 

there used to be an enforceable criminal law about destruction and such but I believe the courts shot that down. 

31 minutes ago, tshile said:

it’s also hard to care when clearly so many people don’t. Just unfortunate the way people are. Basic respect for the flag seems like a simple and worthwhile thing to me, yet so many don’t even bother. 

I think all totemism, when presented solemnly and with great seriousness (inc. football team  uniforms), is reflective of primitive emotional thinking and when done so can objectively seem rather silly, irrational, and often embracing false self-celebrating premises.  

Now in this case as well as others, because I do celebrate myself many of the human traits and actual deeds that most people associate with use of certain totems/symbols, I join in with kindred spirit, but the use  of the symbol is superfluous to me, personally.

It is actually the person, deed, or concept itself I celebrate and the totem part is unnecessary, and even unfortunate in that the totem (whether a cross or a flag for instance) draws away focus to itself, distracting what should be getting 100 percent of the attention.

But I get (and truly understand) how the totem thing works for people.

I always stand and  hold my hand over my heart during the somewhat questionable constriction of our national anthem or pledge of allegiance, and rarely have shared my general take on totems accept in circles where the topic is meant to be examined thoroughly. 

And now that I'm done in this venue I feel should  apologize if I made anyone's brain bleed. 😛😛😛

• Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, Long n Left said:

Jumbo fixing up a whopper!

He has been doing this for like 10 minutes now. The anticipation is making me re-think every post for the last page. 

I just want to make it clear im calling Tshile names out of love and admiration and nothing else. 

edit: **** 

Edited by Llevron
  • Haha 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

there used to be an enforceable criminal law about destruction and such but I believe the courts shot that down. 

Yeah they got rid of any criminal penalties for flag code violations in the late 1980s I believe. 

Back then the big issue the conservatives cared about in regards to the flag was liberals burning it. Well guess what the proper way to dispose of an American flag involves according to the flag code? 🔥🔥

@Jumbo

i get it. You’re not wrong. 

some things seem worth it to me, while many don’t. 

the flag is one of them. Especially when you think about the military, and everything that comes with it. Seems like basic respect for the flag is the least the rest of us can do. 

and I also wonder how much it’s all just a symptom of falling apart. It’s one less thing we share, in a day where we really don’t share anything anymore. A solid % of the country can’t even respect peaceful transfer of power anymore. 

on top of that - regardless what it means about totemism for the average person, this is the damned White House. They should know better. That they don’t is curious. 

Ps - I generally think the pride flag display stuff is a great idea. The only way we get to general acceptance is to force people into seeing this stuff and dealing with it

• Like 1

I have a very conflicted view of the American flag. See, I was raised (as I've said before) very Conservative Christian. But I was also that kid in church who often asked the questions that weren't supposed to be asked, ya know? So being born in the 80s, all of the leaders in my church growing up were obviously WW2 and Cold War survivors. And boy howdy were being an American and being a Christian very much ingrained (one might say, indoctrinated?) in those generations. But having that Cold War be officially over by the time I hit Kindergarten, that wasn't quite the same mentality of my childhood, since the US stood alone on the world stage and didn't have some evil, Atheist, Communist archenemy to contrast ourselves with. So with the whole "Burning the flag is free speech, you idiots" Supreme Court ruling still being fairly fresh in all the adults' lives, there was still plenty of talk about it in church (if not at the pulpit, then certainly in regular adult conversation).

So one day, being the troublemaking question asker that I was, I asked my parents, in kiddy language language, how the American flag wasn't an idol based on how the talked about it and gave it as much holy reverence as the Bible (Since we had learned about the 10 commandments in Sunday School recently). Boy, was that the wrong question to ask, and they let me know never to ask that question at church.

This is not to disparage anybody's opinion on the flag, or what it stands for to them, or anything like that. Obviously some Christians can respect the flag without idolizing it. Some atheists can idolize the flag without it violating any religious creed of theirs. So I'm not going to tell anybody what the flag HAS to mean to them, or how important the Flag Code or protests burning it or whatever have to make them feel.

But to this day, I cannot get over the fact that the most Hardcore Conservative Christians sure as hell make it seem like the Flag is literally just as holy to them as a Bible or a painting of Jesus or any other "holy" relic in their faith. The same loudmouths that claim we need a theocracy (even if not in as direct a term as that) sure seem to worship the Flag more than the actual Bible most of the time. And I know some of that is part of the grift, but I also grew up around a lot of people for whom it wasn't. It was just a belief they somehow held.

I dunno, I guess I'm just trying to justify why it doesn't bother me that almost nobody actually knows or follows any flag codes outside of the military (mostly) and some hardcore uber-patriots that make me nervous. Maybe it would bother me if it was truly a uniting symbol and not mostly used in the last, oh, roughly 22 years by some of the most divisive and hateful people on the political spectrum to hide their fascism under a more palatable guise, but I guess the fact that for most of my life the Flag has been a symbol of ultra-nationalism and disguised fascism by the majority of those who display it has made it lose its "holy" symbolism that so many older generations seem to still have in it.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Same crowd thinks the constitution was written by God. 😬

They also think a Kindergartener getting shot by a psycho is all part of God's plan and so there's nothing we can (or should) do to stop it, but abortion isn't. So when I don't feel the urge to go verse for verse with those idiots, I tend to just roll my eyes knowing very intricately the hypocrisy in their worldview.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, tshile said:

In the words of the great philosopher George Carlin, I leave symbols to the symbol minded. And the flag is the ultimate symbol.

Carry on.

HTTR!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1