What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

On 8/25/2018 at 8:34 PM, KillBill26 said:

Due to Taylor's age and injury history, fetching anything for him is highly unlikely, and if we did get something for him it wouldn't be someone we would start ahead of Lauvao.   

Phil Taylor isn't exactly over the hill.  He's only 30 and has but three seasons of wear-and-tear on him - the last two no playing time.  I'd personally keep him over Lanier - I think Taylor could be a major help on 3rd and short and goal-line stands.  But, if someone were to trade a third rounder or a player like a FS or LG for him, I'd take it.

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

and if possible... even before that. I think this team could use some over the hill, but still good band aid players.

I will modify what you propose:

-draft a top OG in first 2-3 rounds

-consider a promising, below the radar OG/C in rounds 4-6

-UDFA OG x 2

-Free agent veteran as a backup (not top-flight, but someone who has started before and is solid without major long injury history)

I'm okay with that.

I was just saying that we ought to scoop up a vet for this year as well even though he might only serve as a one year patch job. Then, come 2019, we ought to seriously look at upgrading that starting guard position and filling out our back up corps, especially if our D line is as young, deep, and capable as we all hope.

@Burgold Yes! I'm cool with anything we do to improve the paper-thin situation at OG. If that means scooping up a vet this season, I'm all for it. I'm just assuming that it's not likely possible based on what we've seen in terms of talent thus far this offseason.

Regardless, we have to prioritize this after the 2018 season.

27 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Hoffman was on the radio today and said he thinks we add someone before the game vs Ari.  That he feels there is no confidence in Kallis or Catalina.  

Ugh ... that's no good (not the willingness to add someone but the vote of no confidence in who we already have)

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Hoffman was on the radio today and said he thinks we add someone before the game vs Ari.  That he feels there is no confidence in Kallis or Catalina.  

From what I have been seeing, Hoffman is very likely correct in this assessment. :( 

On 5/14/2018 at 1:14 PM, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Cards seem like they have a glut of OL. Cards signed Pugh (G) and Andre Smith (RT), drafted a G in this years 3rd round and had there other G Iupati agreed to a pay cut.

Evan Boehm would be real intriguing. 24 yrs old, C converted to G. 2016 4th round pick. Apparently was benched last year before injuries made him a starter again. Maybe a conditional 5th rounder might do it if he is not a cap cut in camp. Seems like a perfect swing C-G, young, still on rookie contract. 

-----------------

Boehm released

After adding two offensive linemen off the waiver wire, the Cardinals decided they didn’t have room for Evan Boehm or Will Holden.

Boehm, who played 31 of 32 games over the last two years and started eight at guard in 2017, was initially drafted as a center in 2016.

It appeared he would get a chance to back up Mason Cole after starting center A.Q. Shipley tore his ACL at the beginning of August.

Instead, the Cardinals stuck with Daniel Munyer, who will apparently back up Cole.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1652639/arizona-cardinals-notable-cuts-evan-boehm-greg-little-brice-butler/

Swing G-C that Gurden/Callahan like.

Young (25 years old)

Hasnt been snagged yet (I didnt see anything)

2017 PFF grade of 61.8 (#42 G)

edit - plus we get the cards playbook for week 1 prep

edit edit -

Nevermind, he gone.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/04/nfl-rams-practice-squad-signing-evan-boehm/

• 3 weeks later...

Some quotes from Jay seemed to confirm what a lot of us already think. That Chase is an upgrade at G over Lauvao and also thinks there won't be much drop-off bringing in Bergstrom at C.

"We feel like Bergstrom is a better center and we don’t lose anything with Chase at guard,” said Gruden. “So, we feel like the center position we are about the same and little bit of a drop-off losing Brandon Scherff which is considerable, you put Chase in there and he’s a pretty good guard."

The reference to losing Scherff is to last Sunday when the right guard missed four snaps after injuring his knee. Roullier moved over one slot to the right and Bergstrom played center then. "

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/if-lauvao-out-against-packers-redskins-will-shuffle-their-offensive-line

Move Trent to LG to extend his career and put Ty at LT until we draft a new one.  The longer we try to experiment, the more games we risk losing.

Still made we drafted a tackle in 3rd round instead of a guard, we all saw this coming even if some wanted to hold out hope it wouldn't.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Move Trent to LG to extend his career and put Ty at LT until we draft a new one.  The longer we try to experiment, the more games we risk losing.

Still made we drafted a tackle in 3rd round instead of a guard, we all saw this coming even if some wanted to hold out hope it wouldn't.

I used to be against this idea, but at this point I say why not.

37 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Some quotes from Jay seemed to confirm what a lot of us already think. That Chase is an upgrade at G over Lauvao and also thinks there won't be much drop-off bringing in Bergstrom at C.

"We feel like Bergstrom is a better center and we don’t lose anything with Chase at guard,” said Gruden. “So, we feel like the center position we are about the same and little bit of a drop-off losing Brandon Scherff which is considerable, you put Chase in there and he’s a pretty good guard."

The reference to losing Scherff is to last Sunday when the right guard missed four snaps after injuring his knee. Roullier moved over one slot to the right and Bergstrom played center then. "

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/if-lauvao-out-against-packers-redskins-will-shuffle-their-offensive-line

30 minutes ago, justice98 said:

This was an eventuality with Lavauo.  He's not durable, nor is he any good.  Such a waste of time.

Honestly that is what makes this a joke. There was an opportunity to make upgrades and instead the decision to waste the money on SL. As usual, great job. 

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Not a bad idea but have you seen Ty's footwork, I haven't watched TY play a good game since that 3 game stretch a few years ago.

His footwork is terrible and I don't think he can handle LT.

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Not a bad idea but have you seen Ty's footwork, I haven't watched TY play a good game since that 3 game stretch a few years ago.

His footwork is terrible and I don't think he can handle LT.

I'd say its not the best idea for sure, but is rather Alex have to think about his blind side then everything we do dying because of pressure right up the middle.  I remember him being very good at LT once, too, and I've never seen him good at guard vs tackle (u like Trent which I've see dominate at both).  I don't remember Ty standing out in a bad way this preseason, can anyone confirm or deny that?

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'd say its not the best idea for sure, but is rather Alex have to think about his blind side then everything we do dying because of pressure right up the middle.  I remember him being very good at LT once, too, and I've never seen him good at guard vs tackle (u like Trent which I've see dominate at both).  I don't remember Ty standing out in a bad way this preseason, can anyone confirm or deny that?

I don't know what the answer is but put on some film of the last several games Ty has played and you will quickly throw up in your mouth.

See this is where I'm pissed, not about Kirk and Alex but the O line and the WR's, we knew what we had there was beat up and hanging by a thread and we decided not to address it,

On 8/30/2018 at 3:04 PM, OVCChairman said:

This boggles my mind.   So what exactly was the decision making process in them making the team in the first place? 

The offensive line’s struggles vs. the Colts weren’t as bad as they looked. Quarterback Alex Smith was sacked three times, but he was only pressured on 10 plays. Moreover, the problems on the line were almost exclusively the fault of left guard Shawn Lauvao. He surrendered a sack and four additional hurries, the latter of which tied the other four members of the line put together.

Lauvao is a potential problem — a weak link on a unit that is only as strong as its weakest link — but given that the other four members of the line are solid or better, the Redskins should be able to overcome.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2018/09/18/four-reasons-redskins-fans-shouldnt-panic-about-the-team-just-yet/?utm_term=.c183ebf53b7e

Archived