Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Tim Settle DT Virginia Tech

Wildbunny

He has a problem with weight but that doesn't necessarily mean he's lazy. For some people weight management is just more difficult. Different metabolism and all that. Now that he's in the NFL and will have access to professional nutritionists, it should improve. Much tougher when you're a college student. But I do think the team should stay on him about it. I'd hire him a personal chef.

"Excess weight can be lost: In my career evaluating prospects, I’ve always been hesitant to downgrade a high school prospect because he was overweight. The reason? That’s what college strength and conditioning programs are for. There is no doubt that at the Under Armour All-America Game it was clear that Settle needed to drop a few pounds, but that shouldn’t de-value him as a prospect. Plus, if he qualifies academically and makes it into Virginia Tech this year, the Hokies have the luxury of redshirting him given the returning defensive line depth.

He plays like he loves football: Settle got wrapped up in the recruiting process at times and got a negative reputation as a kid that loved the hype a little too much. While that could very well be the case with regards to some of Settle’s approach to the recruiting process, but when you turn on the film, it’s evident that Settle plays like he loves the game. That’s paramount to building a defensive tackle into a standout performer at the college level. For some, it comes to easy in high school and they get to college and fail because of a lack of passion. At least from the film, Settle doesn’t play like he lacks passion." Link

"All my tattoos have meanings," Settle explained. "Virginia Tech gave me a second chance after high school and stuff like that. I'm so dedicated and I love Virginia Tech with all my heart. Love coach Foster, I love the whole coaching staff, ya know, for them giving me a second chance, and for me to be able to play on a defense like this, I think that I should have it a part of something that I will never forget. So this is gonna be a part of me forever. ... I keep it with me so I can remember what I stand for, and who I represent every time I look at my tattoo right here." Link

"Despite speculation by some, Settle maintained he's adamant about becoming academically eligible in time to enroll at Virginia Tech next fall.

"I don't want to hear 'prep school,'" Settle said.

"I'm going for the big shot. I know that I'll be at Virginia Tech next year, it just takes a matter of time. I'm good right now, having a great senior year academically. I have to get a better SAT score — which I will. I'm ready." Link

McShay said of Settle: He “is a wide-bodied run-plugger in the mold of Dontari Poe, with a high ceiling."

I know there's a reason Settle dropped but just looking at that cut up of film, he seems to dominate and get into the backfield more than Payne does. I must be missing something - Payne couldn't have risen into the first round solely based on his dominating performance v. Georgia in the national championship.

1 hour ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Change to a 4-3.  We have 4 potentially dominant and young DL.  I'd play the Greek inside with Settle, and Payne at DE with Allen.

The biggest problem with that plan is that kerrigan and smith are not traditional 4-3 outside linebackers. 

54 minutes ago, redskinss said:

The biggest problem with that plan is that kerrigan and smith are not traditional 4-3 outside linebackers. 

Trade 'em!  Remember when guys like Neal Olkewicz were starting LBs on SB teams?  It was the DL.

4 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Change to a 4-3.  We have 4 potentially dominant and young DL.  I'd play the Greek inside with Settle, and Payne at DE with Allen.

next season maybe.  Kerrigan converts to DE, Smith leaves as a FA and OLB is a main FA and draft concern.  Allen takes the other DE, Lainier rotates in with them, Payne, Ionnaddis and Settle are the DT.  We need one more decent guy for a top level modern NFL rotation

13 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

I know there's a reason Settle dropped but just looking at that cut up of film, he seems to dominate and get into the backfield more than Payne does. I must be missing something - Payne couldn't have risen into the first round solely based on his dominating performance v. Georgia in the national championship.

Payne wasnt asked to simply disrupt as often as Settle. They often had very different responsibilities. Settle couldn't play how Pruitt asked Payne to.

15 hours ago, redskinss said:

I remember once I envisioned a 4-3 with two massive tackles and Kerrigan and Orakpo as our ends. I believe both played that position in college. Kerrigan's probably light to play it full time in the NFL, but he does spend a lot of time in a three point stance effectively playing line when we are in nickle.

We are finally getting the DL talent to play 3-4 and people want to change?

yes we have 4 talented young DL prospects...  it would be good rotate them and keep them fresh instead of switching to 4-3...   as some of others said... not sure if we have right personnel to go to a traditional 4-3 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I remember once I envisioned a 4-3 with two massive tackles and Kerrigan and Orakpo as our ends. I believe both played that position in college. Kerrigan's probably light to play it full time in the NFL, but he does spend a lot of time in a three point stance effectively playing line when we are in nickle.

Yeah I think they could possibly make the transition back to 4-3 defensive end but then we'd have way way too many defensive lineman and no linebackers. 

My opinion is that we finally have the personnel to run the 3-4 / 4-3 hybrid defense we've been trying to run forever. 

43 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

Glad we drafted this guy. He'll be a beast in the middle.

Not sure why but to me settles tape looks more promising than Payne's..but we know Payne is a beast..lordy lord lord do I ever see us having a top ten defense this year.. going back over tape our defense was or I should say played very well against the Saints and the Seahawks and they played even better against the Raiders Chiefs and Rams they were so so against the Vikings but swearinger had two picks..of course there were the head scratcher games but they'll be corrected.. top ten d coming up!!

Someone posted on the draft thread probably a month ago a list of 10 college DLinemen since 2010 who all met similar requirements statistically and physically (combine workout). Whatever this algorithm was, it seemed to directly correlate to success at the professional level as just about every name was a stud or at least a solid starter (Watt, Suh, Donald, Fairley, Harrison were some of the names). Long story short is that Settle also made this list.

I apologize for the poor explanation and lack of citing, but if anyone has this please post it.

DZ9OWhFUMAAj8Y3.jpg

EDIT: Well, this drove me nuts, so I went page-by-page thru the draft thread and on 122 (or somewhere around there, it's all a blur) I found what I was looking for. I misspoke, I believe I conflated this chart with another... The only stat that this utilizes is avg TFLs/game. Settle is in good company at the top, but this wasn't what I explained above.

5 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Not sure why but to me settles tape looks more promising than Payne's..but we know Payne is a beast..lordy lord lord do I ever see us having a top ten defense this year.. going back over tape our defense was or I should say played very well against the Saints and the Seahawks and they played even better against the Raiders Chiefs and Rams they were so so against the Vikings but swearinger had two picks..of course there were the head scratcher games but they'll be corrected.. top ten d coming up!!

Different responsibilities 

http://xandolabs.com/research/virginia_tech_bear_package/

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2017/5/15/15637338/offseason-knowledge-base-alabamas-base-two-gap-3-4-defensive-line

3. The defensive tackle (sometimes called the nose tackle) literally lines up nose-to-nose with the center. In many 3-4 schemes, the DT is just responsible for one gap on either side of the center. However, as we explain below, the defensive tackle in Alabama’s base 3-4 is still responsible for the gap on either side of the center. You want your bulkiest and strongest player at this position, but someone also with quick recognition and good footwork. The DT very often sees double teams and lead blockers, meaning that he occupies more than one blocker which in turn frees up the linebackers to make a play in the running game.

4. Pass-rushing skills are a bonus for a one-gap DT playing the nose. However, a two-gap 3-4 DT very often can pressure the quarterback. Alabama has been very fortunate in recruiting and developing Daron Payne. He can two-gap and make solo run stops, occupy more than one blocker, he has a good first step to split the center-guard to pressure the quarterback. He has worked on developing pass rushing skills, and they are finally starting show. It goes without saying, and as has been reported on several occasions, he is easily the strongest player on the team.

5 hours ago, CTskin said:

I apologize for the poor explanation and lack of citing, but if anyone has this please post it.

I believe this article is what you're looking for:

Relationship between production, athleticism and drafting successful NFL D-linemen

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/03/31/relationship-between-production-athleticism-and-drafting-successful-nfl-d-linemen/arsyciw/

He kinda destroys Payne in this article:

Finally, there is Da’Ron Payne from Alabama. Payne has a lot of love in the draft community and is routinely discussed as a lock first-round pick, but his college production is as poor as any player coming into the NFL since 2010. Payne had just one tackle for a loss in 14 games last season. In his career at Alabama, Payne had a total of just five tackles for a loss on 1,481 snaps.

To his credit, Payne has one of the fastest 10-yard splits (1.66) of any defensive tackle over the past decade, and it’s even more impressive when you consider his size. However, there really is no reason why Payne should be a first-round pick considering his lack of collegiate production.

I have a lot of faith that Ionnaddis and Allen are gonna be beasts this year...Settle will be able to contribute too. Combine our interior with Kerrigan and Preston and we should have an elite d-line. Hopefully the rest of the defense benefits/thrives from the upgrades on the defensive line. 

Archived