Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama

PCS

I love the pick of Payne, I’ve been wanting this guy all along. We will need him and Allen because now, not only do we have to deal with Zeke and Ajayi but that freak of nature Saquon Barkley. I think some wanted the sexier pick in Derwin James, but Payne was the right choice IMO. It’s makes me happy to have this team make the right choice considering how this offseason has gone thus far.

Now that I've slept on it, i like it even more.

It isn't glamorous, it isn't "BPA" (although that is a debatable term in and of itself).. but it's a pick that i think makes us instantly better in not just an area of OUR need, but an area of ground-floor football necessity. 

While i liked what i saw out of Allen and Ioanaidis a lot last year, Payne gives us an extra element, and keeps that middle fresher all game long. This should lead to fewer end-of-half dagger drives that we have become much too used to seeing. 

Couple that with Brown and Foster, and I really don't think we're going to be dead last against the run again for a good long while.

And, i do not think it can be understated the 'Bama connection..  connected with Allen, with Anderson..   they are winners coming from a winning tradition having played at the highest level attainable in college football. That translates and should bode well for the future. I can see this defense becoming very aggressive.

~Bang

Just looking at next 20 picks, there’s really only 1 guy that stands out to me, James.

James injury history is concerning. Plus, he is a hybrid type and can’t guarantee he’ll adapt to game. 

Payne is as close to BPA to me as anyone else. I know some love Bryan, but nobody can be sure. 

Put it this way, if the kid can ball in the NFL (which I think is more chance than not) we just got a lot better.

Ok, following @Bang process, meaning I have slept on it - I am still not enamored with the pick as I really felt like we missed an opportunity to get even better. I think we panicked once Vea was off the board - our true target. 

Having said that, as always once they are a Redskin I am all for them. He is a very good athlete. Has a great first step, quick and powerful. Tomsula and coaches will need to work on his pass rush and get him to shoot out instead of up so he can get better leverage and not get pushed back initially. That way he can be more disruptive on passing downs. 

I also agree there is value in him already playing beside Allen some in college (and Anderson) if they can stay healthy . A front of Allen, Payne and Iaonnidis could be pretty formidable. If Payne can get better in pass rush, then you bring in Lanier or move Kerrigan up (he often plays as a DE on 4 man fronts) and that line starts to look pretty nasty. 

He potentially gives Manusky lot's of options with different packages. Could be exciting. 

Can't wait to see what they look like on the field. If he comes in and makes us instantly better at run D - moves us say at least to the middle third - then all the draft analysis will be forgotten. 

On to the next rounds! 

13 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

First fantasy team name of the year...

You can Da'Ron but you can't hide from the Payne? 

I try to be a very encouraging person.

So i encourage you to try again 

:)

~Bang

Good pick. I preferred Vea but don't mind Payne at all. He's good talent, good value and at a position of need and dire importance. No issues whatsoever.

I can't wait to see Allen, Payne, and Ioannidis together up front. Three talented young studs on the DL. Could be Mann, Manley, and Butz part 2. Gonna need it in a division with Zeek, Ajayi, and now Barkley.

I like this for a few reasons: 

1) It's now becoming a trend...we are spending high draft picks on the trenches. Just in the past few years we've added Scherff, Allen, and now Payne. Factor in a second on Anderson (crossing my fingers that he makes a Fuller-esque leap in year 2), and you really see a dedication to shoring up the heart of any football team. 

2) It's relatively safe...we one exception, we haven't necessarily swung for the fences lately early in the draft. We've gone with guys who might have a SLIGHTLY lower ceiling but have a significantly higher floor. It's tough for a very good DT to "bust" in the NFL. He's going to improve our defense from day 1 just like Allen did (and just like Scherff did to our OL). 

3) The ripple effect...suddenly we're deeper on the DL rotation and potentially building toward something like the Eagles have. Guys come in and out and the line continues to be relentless. It also makes the job of the secondary easier. 

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

He potentially gives Manusky lot's of options with different packages. Could be exciting. 

This is an important distinction I saw vs. Vae who on many snaps looked like a phone booth type player. And Jay Gruden’s presser mentioned Payne’s versatility which I think is critical in a three man front. What I’ve never heard of before is the “shade” technique. While Jay was discussing Payne’s usefullness, he mentioned one-technique, 3-technique, and “shade”. What the heck is that?

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Good pick. I preferred Vea but don't mind Payne at all. He's good talent, good value and at a position of need and dire importance. No issues whatsoever.

I can't wait to see Allen, Payne, and Ioannidis together up front. Three talented young studs on the DL. Could be Mann, Manley, and Butz part 2. Gonna need it in a division with Zeek, Ajayi, and now Barkley.

Oh yes..haaa WHOOOOO HOOOO!!!.. good call here!!!.. I have a feeling our defensive line could give some people some problems this year... With your post it really really makes me reminisce of the early 80s black and blue slugfest games between the skins and Eagles it's what I was thinking about before I read your post...can't wait..pluck some eagle feathers Da'Ron.. Welcome to my beloved Washington Redskins!!

4 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

This is an important distinction I saw vs. Vae who on many snaps looked like a phone booth type player. And Jay Gruden’s presser mentioned Payne’s versatility which I think is critical in a three man front. What I’ve never heard of before is the “shade” technique. While Jay was discussing Payne’s usefullness, he mentioned one-technique, 3-technique, and “shade”. What the heck is that?

It's just inside the lineman but not fully in the gap. For example, a 2 tech lines up straight across the G. A 1 tech plays directly in between the C and G. A 2i is not fully in the 1 tech position but is not lined directly on top of the G either. They "shade" the inside shoulder of the lineman, this case the G. It would be the same for 4i who would shade the inside shoulder, or C side of the T but not directly in a 3 Tech position. 

Happy about this guy.  It addressed a need, hopefully we are stout up front and we can get better against the run.  

16 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It's just inside the lineman but not fully in the gap. For example, a 2 tech lines up straight across the G. A 1 tech plays directly in between the C and G. A 2i is not fully in the 1 tech position but is not lined directly on top of the G either. They "shade" the inside shoulder of the lineman, this case the G. It would be the same for 4i who would shade the inside shoulder, or C side of the T but not directly in a 3 Tech position. 

wut.

9 hours ago, zskins said:

I wanted Dline first if we weren't going to get Bell.  I suspected what you posted, but wanted to make sure it transfered to next level and that was our expectation of him.  If that's the case, this is the best pick we've made this century, even better then Sean.

Finally caught the lepurchan and his pot of gold, been chasing a NT for nearly a decade now, now it's about to be one of the strengths of our team.  Home f'n Run.

I love this pick.  Spectacular athlete with the size and strength to be a true nose in the NFL.  Well done front office!

2 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

First fantasy team name of the year...

You can Da'Ron but you can't hide from the Payne? 

Spectacularly well done!  I may steal that.

Archived