Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Avengers Infinity War - HERE BE SPOILERS!

Springfield

16 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Unlike Momma, I actually think Tom Holland is a terrible casting choice. Much prefer Tobey Maguire's Spidey of old. 

I prefer a non-sissy adult  to be Peter Parker.  Carnage would kill both of them.  My first real exposure to Spiderman was the Fox Saturday morning cartoon, and he was always a full-grown man.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It makes me sad to see how far the X-Men have fallen in popularity and prominence.  I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Marvel Studios get a hold of the franchise and resuscitate it.

I feel the same way about Spiderman.  Disney with their hands on either one to make as many movies as they want would be a total game changer for both franchises.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I prefer a non-sissy adult  to be Peter Parker.  Carnage would kill both of them.  My first real exposure to Spiderman was the Fox Saturday morning cartoon, and he was always a full-grown man.

Holland isn't a sissy, he's just young.  Youth is another thing that defines Spider-Man.  If you want a grown man hero, then you want Wolverine or Cap or Mr Fantastic.  The thing that made Spider-Man such a big hit from the very beginning was that he was the nerdy, wise-cracking boy-hero that comic book readers in the 60's found easier to relate to.

Spider-Man has usually won fights by the seat of his pants.  It's part of what made the stakes on his street-level heroism compelling.

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Holland isn't a sissy, he's just young.  Youth is another thing that defines Spider-Man.  If you want a grown man hero, then you want Wolverine or Cap or Mr Fantastic.  The thing that made Spider-Man such a big hit from the very beginning was that he was the nerdy, wise-cracking boy-hero that comic book readers in the 60's found easier to relate to.

Spider-Man has usually won fights by the seat of his pants.  It's part of what made the stakes on his street-level heroism compelling.

The sissy comment was in regards to MaGuire and Garfield, not Holland. 

I just don't think Tom Holland at his current point in the MCCU would stand a chance against Carnage, even with Venom's help.  He needs a little more under his belt, first, imo.  And again, Spiderman has been around fo a very long time.  He may have started like what you're describing, but his not a kid in the comics right now, hasn't in a while, he's an adult with adult problems. 

He married Mary Jane back in 1987 (that's before I was born).

Edit:  You're comment about Spiderman toeing the line of getting his ass kicked a lot is noted.  Do you see Tom Holland leading the charge in someone like Maximum Carnage or a full on Symbiote Invasion?

I understand that Venom isn’t in the MCU, but if you throw boy-child Spider man into an R rated Venom universe, it just doesn’t work for me.  Venom is setting up to be a super dark take, while Spidey is this happy go lucky friendly spider man.

The only thing I liked about this iteration of Spider-Man in Infinity War was the Spider man 2099 style suit.  That was badass.  Couldn’t care less about the “oh, were using our super hero names” character.

10 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Cap still isn’t on the same level of mainstream popularity and cultural significance as Spider-Man which was my point as one reason of why his death was so shocking. Spidey is top shelf. I was going as Spider-Man for Halloween before I had ever seen the animated show, read a comic book or a movie had come out. Same as Superman or Batman. People know who they are and pretty much always have. 

Cap has become more popular and mainstream than he used to be but he isn’t Spider-Man, Batman or Superman. By that logic Thor is on the same level as Batman because he’s had a lot of movies come out the last decade. 

Maybe not cultural since Spider-man has a lot of history of TV shows, cartoons, and movies on his side but I think regarding mainstream popularity Cap is currently up there with everyone now. These days I see so many people wearing Captain America t-shirts all over the place (myself included lol). That was unheard of a decade ago. Cap was always seen as a square character but the last 5 years have changed all that.  The multiple times I've seen Infinity War it's Captain America that got the loudest pop from the audience when he appeared. The Russos turned a goody, goody Dudley Do Right character into a popular bad ass. Thor isn't even close to having mainstream status yet. Can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a Thor t-shirt or anything that had to do with the character.

The Russo didn't invent the Civil War story line AJ.  Cap has been well-nuanced since the Silver Age.  He's wise and the other characters respect and trust him, but he wasn't a square.  In fact, I think the Russos and Whedon actually toned down Cap's aggressiveness from the original character and made him kinder and gentler.  Which works on screen, because we would think the Captain America from the comics is a maniac if we saw him in these movies.  Comics can get away with a completely different and far more melodramatic tone.

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

I understand that Venom isn’t in the MCU, but if you throw boy-child Spider man into an R rated Venom universe, it just doesn’t work for me.  Venom is setting up to be a super dark take, while Spidey is this happy go lucky friendly spider man.

I mean, to me, this is a studio rights problem more then a cannon problem. 

The Venom movie is an origin story without Spiderman.  That's completely disrespectful to the cannon, and my understanding is Sony is doing that because of rights issues with Spiderman and wanting to make money off the rest of the Spiderman universe anyway.  Fine if they don't want to put Tom Holland in there, I agree, he has no business in a Rated R symbiote movie, he wouldn't stand a chance. 

That doesn't mean you don't have Spiderman in any symbiote movies, he was lead in Carnage USA.  Like @stevemcqueen1 noted, the comics in many cases are darker and more twisted then the movies.

53 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Russo didn't invent the Civil War story line AJ.  Cap has been well-nuanced since the Silver Age.  He's wise and the other characters respect and trust him, but he wasn't a square.  In fact, I think the Russos and Whedon actually toned down Cap's aggressiveness from the original character and made him kinder and gentler.  Which works on screen, because we would think the Captain America from the comics is a maniac if we saw him in these movies.  Comics can get away with a completely different and far more melodramatic tone.

It's not about inventing storylines. It's about the perception of the people who don't read comic books. I would say the majority of the people who go see MCU movies don't read the comics at all. Maybe Cap was well-nuanced to the comic book readers out there but to regular people he was a straight-laced dude in a ridiculous outfit. Whedon did Captain America no favors in the first Avengers movie with that costume and his action scenes weren't anything to write home about either. That's the reason he didn't truly take off until Winter Soldier when the Russos unleashed him in a much better outfit and showcased his ability with action scenes 10x better than anything Whedon did in the first or second Avengers movie. The first 15 minutes of Winter Soldier changed everything. 

6 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Unlike Momma, I actually think Tom Holland is a terrible casting choice. Much prefer Tobey Maguire's Spidey of old. 

Unlike Momma and just about everyone else.  lol

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I like that Spider Man is a wise cracking immature kid. We have enough brooding adults in the superhero universe.

They kept casting grown ass men telling them to be teenagers. 

10 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

How? Because he thought (in the movies) that forced registration (or government interference) was wrong?

Because as the leader of the Avengers he immediately chose the path that would put them at odds and threaten their cohesion on a hypothetical that had not even happened yet. 

Their entire split is his fault. If he’s ok with being a criminal and fugitive right away by not signing the accords, he should have been perfectly fine to go along with them to keep the peace and keep the team together while always having the option to just break the accords if he felt his hands were tied or they were asked to do he wrong thing. 

Either scenario he ends up a criminal and fugitive. He chose the one that didn’t let him even see if his fear ever eventually manifested and he chose the one that immediately split up the Avengers that he was supposed to be leading 

not to mention he was just wrong wrong in general. The Avengers need oversight because of what happened. The wrong guy was put In Charge of that oversight but doesn’t change the fact. Stark is 100% right in that movie 

On 5/4/2018 at 1:20 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Cap is so Alpha that even Thor defers to him.

I just looked it up and Wolverine, then Spider-Man, then Cap are Marvel's top three most published characters.  Surprisingly enough, Cyclops was number four.  In fact, most of the top 25 are X-Men characters.  It makes me sad to see how far the X-Men have fallen in popularity and prominence.  I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Marvel Studios get a hold of the franchise and resuscitate it.

It doesn't help because of the retconning and confusing discontinuity in the movies. Is Cyclops a teen, young man, middle aged or what? Is Angel a guy's mutant teen age son who wants to be cured in the mid 2000's  or is he an alcoholic in the 2980's that get's turned into ArchAngel?

@Momma There Goes That Man damn, man, you really gonna get mad at Cap for not trusting the government all things considered?  I can see cases for both sides, but way heroes that didn't want to register got treated to me proves Caps point.  It was never about oversight, it was about control.  They were telling the remaining Avengers to do stuff they didn't want to do before the movie was even over.

What other Marvel movies are there left to make in this universe? Spider Man has a sequel, as does Black Panther, but that's it right? Iron Man, Thor, and Cap are all done.

Also, why was there never a Mark Ruffalo Hulk stand alone film franchise? I know the Edward Norton Hulk movie bombed, but still.

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

What other Marvel movies are there left to make in this universe? Spider Man has a sequel, as does Black Panther, but that's it right? Iron Man, Thor, and Cap are all done.

Also, why was there never a Mark Ruffalo Hulk stand alone film franchise? I know the Edward Norton Hulk movie bombed, but still.

I know there is supposed to be a Black Widow movie in the works. Captain Marvel is coming out next year, and Ant-Man and Wasp (which looks

terrific) is coming out later this year. 

Personally I'd like to see a Vision movie, but it will never happen. I think they kind of screwed up the Vision character in the Avengers movies. No

where as cool as the Vision from the comics or Earth Mightiest Heroes animated series. 

I read somewhere Marvel is interested in doing a movie with The Eternals.  

At some point you would think they would re-boot Blade.  But I guess they have to figure out a way to introduce vampires into this universe.  

Archived