Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Avengers Infinity War - HERE BE SPOILERS!

Springfield

I noticed on Friday's latest Agents of Shield, one of the characters mentioned "You hear about what's going on in New York?" Next episode should be interesting if a bunch of folks just are no longer there.

ok -So here is my question to all you fans.

What about if im not a die hard fan?  I mean -I loved the first captain America, loved all the Iron Men, enjoyed the 1st avengers really liked both Guardians of the galaxy ....

Couldn't get into Age of Ultron (Kept annoying me that they caused all these issues) - Civil war started losing track - never saw Blank Panther or the last spiderman movie...

Basically -I enjoy Superhero movies when they are good on their own - if they become overly dependent on other movies - I start to lose track.  

I guess Im asking -for the casual fan - is this a good stand alone move?  

13 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

What about if im not a die hard fan?  I mean -I loved the first captain America, loved all the Iron Men, enjoyed the 1st avengers really liked both Guardians of the galaxy ....

Couldn't get into Age of Ultron (Kept annoying me that they caused all these issues) - Civil war started losing track - never saw Blank Panther or the last spiderman movie...

Basically -I enjoy Superhero movies when they are good on their own - if they become overly dependent on other movies - I start to lose track.  

Yes

Also, the Thanos memes that come from the movie are absolutely great.  100%, grade A, peak Internet with the memes.

13 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

As long as you know who the characters are in this movie, you can get the gist.  Any additional backstory needed for those with gaps is explained in a throwaway line here or there.  Or can be easily inferred or assumed.

15 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

maybe?  Infinity War feels a lot like a season finale to me.  Sort of like all the Marvel movies were a tv series on a massive scale and this latest one is ties them all together.  I don't think you need to have seen every movie to enjoy it, but it would help if you've seen the ones that tie into the infinity stones and know who all the characters are. 

52 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

I think it's a better stand alone then Age of Ultron.  My problem with AoU was Ultron was rushed on the screen with little development and he fell flat as a villain because of it.  In hindsight they probably should introduced Stark's Ultron Program in IM3 to get the wheels rolling on that character.  Stark already had all the suits that he and Jarvis could control.  It also seemed they were too concerned with setting up Phase 3 in AoU which took away from the stand alone aspect.

I would recommend watching Ragnarok first since IW starts where Ragnarok ends.  You could probably just watch final 15-20 minutes of Ragnarok actually.  But I think it would enhance the opening scene of IW.  

1 hour ago, TMK9973 said:

Yep. I watch some but not all Marvel movies. You'll be fine.

On 27/04/2018 at 7:36 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Hide contents

They felt real in the moment but then you realize they are coming back. 

I think this was the setup. Some of the deaths were final (basically every one that died before the snap). The next Avengers goes back to basics and relies on the originals Avengers (plus Marvel) to set thing right and I could easily see the entire original cast dying as some sacrifice to defeat Thanos and bring back the other half of the universe. I think they are all trapped in the soul gem, perhaps and will somehow be freed at the end to carry on the post Thanos marvel universe 

Spoiler

Well they're going back to the original avengers + Nebula and a Bunny (according to Thor).

edit: btw Am I the only one that noticed how rocket used the eye he stole in Guardians 1 in this movie? loved that ref...

That being said, I still don't believe Loki's dead. He's too smart and too coward for that. Now, if Thanos decided to cut the population of the universe in half, damn he hit it hard on the superhero as more than half of them are lost in this movie!

3 hours ago, TMK9973 said:

thanks everyone! Sounds like I'll prob enjoy it. No massive rush to see it -but next time I go see a movie -sounds like it should be one to check out. 

You could probably grasp what's going on based on what you've seen. I think it's a disservice to Infinity War to do that. As Destino mentioned, it feels like a finale and there is a definite culmination of a decade's buildup happening in this movie. Lots of things paid off. 

One thing that really struck me was how much I cared about these characters. I've actually never liked Captain America, always thought he was lame as could be, but man, when he first shows up I suddenly found myself cheering. That made me notice and I just realized how much they all meant to me and how I didn't want Thanos to do anything to them. 

I feel like skipping around, you miss some of that groundwork that was laid out and the connection you have to them. 

7 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You could probably grasp what's going on based on what you've seen. I think it's a disservice to Infinity War to do that. As Destino mentioned, it feels like a finale and there is a definite culmination of a decade's buildup happening in this movie. Lots of things paid off. 

One thing that really struck me was how much I cared about these characters. I've actually never liked Captain America, always thought he was lame as could be, but man, when he first shows up I suddenly found myself cheering. That made me notice and I just realized how much they all meant to me and how I didn't want Thanos to do anything to them. 

I feel like skipping around, you miss some of that groundwork that was laid out and the connection you have to them. 

THe Wakandan war chant gave me goose bumps, similar to the scenes from BraveHeart and Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

My question is: How was Thanos walking around his getaway planet at the end like nothing happened? Did he, or did he not, just have Stormbreaker halfway through his chest? The dude should be in the ICU, or at least have his ribs wrapped or something.

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

My question is: How was Thanos walking around his getaway planet at the end like nothing happened? Did he, or did he not, just have Stormbreaker halfway through his chest? The dude should be in the ICU, or at least have his ribs wrapped or something.

He owns reality. If he wants to fix his chest I imagine he can do it as easily as he turned Drax into some blocks. 

Honestly, he’s insanely overpowered at this point and the whole idea of someone harnessing all the infinity stones requires us to suspend disbelief so that he can engage in fist fights with our heroes instead of just blinking them onto another planet or impaled on a skyscraper or something. 

3 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

He was only fighting them for his own amusement.  Once he got all the stones he had the powers of a almighty god. He could have turned all the avengers cupcakes and had himself a bake sale on his getaway planet had he wanted to. Healing any wound is nothing. 

Just saw it. Give it a B+. A very, very, VERY good movie but not quite a great one. The pace ( as has been mentioned here) is excellent, you're on

the edge of the seat throughout. Script was fantastic, lots of laugh out loud moments. Battle scenes were brillant, as you would expect from the Russo

brothers. So why not an A or A-? Its just lacked that one unforgettable moment, that payoff scene were the whole theater would erupt into applause. 

(eg. the airport scene in Captain America: Civil War). 

Still, fundamentally, a huge success. I cannot wait of IW Part 2!

3 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

He wasn't. In the final scene his arm was burned and he was definitely limping gingerly before he sat down. I think the combination of Stormbreaker and using the gauntlet took a toll on him. 

Here is my problem with Thanos, I didn't buy the fact he was doing everything he was doing was because he believed he was merciful. It came off as a cop out to give Thanos some depth and to establish Gamora met something to him. I thought it was unnecessary and bad writing. 

My favorite part was the banter between Starlord and Thor and how insecure he was about Thor's. 

Destino, I think you talked about how you believe Gamora had some secret plan. I don't think she does and if she does then I believe it is lazy writing. The reason for this is because she entrusted Starlord to kill her and Thanos stopped it from happening. Then she tried to kill herself and he stopped that too. If she had some plan I don't think she would have tried to kill herself. 

Dr Strange had to die because he had the esoteric knowledge of how to win against Thanos.  Presumably, he will have communicated at least some of that knowledge to Stark.  And presumably the plan involved giving Thanos the time stone to spare Stark because Stark is essential to the plan to beat Thanos.

I would imagine that the primary challenge of the next movie will be reuniting the original Avengers with Stark and having him execute his and Strange's plan to undo Thanos's work.

It looked like Thanos broke the Infinity Gauntlet when he used it, so I'm not sure what kind of shape the stones will be in next movie.

One of the things that bothered me a little about the final fight scene was that the plot dictated that Thor not be present to fight Thanos in time to prevent him from getting the stone from Vision, and so he wasn't.  For no good reason.  All of the other heroes converged on Vision to fight and get beaten by Thanos.  Thor was just off holding his dick, fighting peons because the plot dictated that a being powerful enough to stop Thanos could not confront him in time to stop him from getting the final stone.  It was clumsy and they might have brought Thor back to Earth too early.  But I'm also not sure how else they should have included him in the Final action scene.

50 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

Just saw it. Give it a B+. A very, very, VERY good movie but not quite a great one. The pace ( as has been mentioned here) is excellent, you're on

the edge of the seat throughout. Script was fantastic, lots of laugh out loud moments. Battle scenes were brillant, as you would expect from the Russo

brothers. So why not an A or A-? Its just lacked that one unforgettable moment, that payoff scene were the whole theater would erupt into applause. 

(eg. the airport scene in Captain America: Civil War). 

Still, fundamentally, a huge success. I cannot wait of IW Part 2!

Spoiler

The theater I was in that moment was when Thor, Rocket and Groot landed in Wakanda on the battlefield. The whole theater erupted in cheers.  Maybe it wasn’t quiet the airport scene in CW but the Avengers were getting their asses kicked until that point.

One of the biggest challenges of making this movie had to be working in the cinematic style of each of the different franchises and making them coherent.  Black Panther, Guardians, Thor, Spiderman, Captain America, Dr Strange, and Iron Man/Avengers all have unique styles.  Ant-man too, although he wasn't in it.  Each of their directors put their own stamp on the characters.  Hard to make a movie that includes all of that and is still coherent, plus it has to provide a voice/vision of its own.  I thought the Russo brothers did as good a job as possible of pulling this off, giving us moments of each franchise in their film.  They did a particularly good job of mimicking James Gunn's voice in the Guardians parts.

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Here is my problem with Thanos, I didn't buy the fact he was doing everything he was doing was because he believed he was merciful. It came off as a cop out to give Thanos some depth and to establish Gamora met something to him. I thought it was unnecessary and bad writing. 

My favorite part was the banter between Starlord and Thor and how insecure he was about Thor's. 

Destino, I think you talked about how you believe Gamora had some secret plan. I don't think she does and if she does then I believe it is lazy writing. The reason for this is because she entrusted Starlord to kill her and Thanos stopped it from happening. Then she tried to kill herself and he stopped that too. If she had some plan I don't think she would have tried to kill herself. 

I don't know why it's so hard to buy that he believed he was being merciful from his sick point of view. Rather than go from planet to planet violently killing half the population like he did to Gamora's planet he figured getting all of the stones and using the gauntlet to wipe out half the universe in a peaceful manner was merciful, taking out sentient beings similar to the way animals are euthanized. 

It felt a little cheap that they didn't devote any screen time to finding the soul stone prior to this movie.  But at any rate, that story line was lifted from Greek mythology, where Agamemnon sacrificed Iphigenia in order to placate Artemis so that he could achieve his ambition to invade Troy.

2 hours ago, drowland said:

Hide contents

The theater I was in that moment was when Thor, Rocket and Groot landed in Wakanda on the battlefield. The whole theater erupted in cheers.  Maybe it wasn’t quiet the airport scene in CW but the Avengers were getting their asses kicked until that point.

I agree. That was “the moment” of this movie and seeing both (Civil War) on opening night, Thor dropping down in Wakanda and kicking ass with the Avengers theme blasting was the loudest roar I’ve ever heard in a theater. People were standing up and cheering and somehow it got even louder once he went full lightning god a few moments  later.  

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Hide contents

Dr Strange had to die because he had the esoteric knowledge of how to win against Thanos.  Presumably, he will have communicated at least some of that knowledge to Stark.  And presumably the plan involved giving Thanos the time stone to spare Stark because Stark is essential to the plan to beat Thanos.

I would imagine that the primary challenge of the next movie will be reuniting the original Avengers with Stark and having him execute his and Strange's plan to undo Thanos's work.

It looked like Thanos broke the Infinity Gauntlet when he used it, so I'm not sure what kind of shape the stones will be in next movie.

One of the things that bothered me a little about the final fight scene was that the plot dictated that Thor not be present to fight Thanos in time to prevent him from getting the stone from Vision, and so he wasn't.  For no good reason.  All of the other heroes converged on Vision to fight and get beaten by Thanos.  Thor was just off holding his dick, fighting peons because the plot dictated that a being powerful enough to stop Thanos could not confront him in time to stop him from getting the final stone.  It was clumsy and they might have brought Thor back to Earth too early.  But I'm also not sure how else they should have included him in the Final action scene.

Spoiler

If Strange conveyed the plan to Stark, it’s sort of a retcon since it happens off screen and neither appear to have just end thru that before Strange says “tony, it was the only way” and dies. I don’t think that’s what happened. 

They’ll need to figure it out on their own. 

Regarding Thor at the end, the plot dictates a lot for the sake of story and entertainment in a movie where the villain has something as powerful and world breaking as the infinity gauntlet. Example: why didn’t Strange just open a portal and close it on Thanos arm and cut it off like Wong did earlier in the movie? Or why he didn't just reverse time 30 seconds so Stark could stop Starlord from being a dumbass? 

Same thing with Thanos wanting to have fun and fist fight instead of just tossing everyone into the sun and enjoying his day without an axe in the chest. You have to concede some of these ridiculous ideas just to make the movie work with the infinity gauntlet so I’m ok with it 

1 hour ago, AJ* said:

I don't know why it's so hard to buy that he believed he was being merciful from his sick point of view. Rather than go from planet to planet violently killing half the population like he did to Gamora's planet he figured getting all of the stones and using the gauntlet to wipe out half the universe in a peaceful manner was merciful, taking out sentient beings similar to the way animals are euthanized. 

I much prefer the storyline they gave Thanos in the movie over the comic book version were he is in love with death and trying to impress her.  

Archived