Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Avengers Infinity War - HERE BE SPOILERS!

Springfield

17 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I much prefer the storyline they gave Thanos in the movie over the comic book version were he is in love with death and trying to impress her.  

Couldn't agree more.  Marvel's strength is humanizing their characters, surprised he was like that in the comics, but glad they didn't go that route in the movie because it wouldn't of worked.

6 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If Strange conveyed the plan to Stark, it’s sort of a retcon since it happens off screen and neither appear to have just end thru that before Strange says “tony, it was the only way” and dies. I don’t think that’s what happened. 

They’ll need to figure it out on their own. 

Regarding Thor at the end, the plot dictates a lot for the sake of story and entertainment in a movie where the villain has something as powerful and world breaking as the infinity gauntlet. Example: why didn’t Strange just open a portal and close it on Thanos arm and cut it off like Wong did earlier in the movie? Or why he didn't just reverse time 30 seconds so Stark could stop Starlord from being a dumbass? 

Same thing with Thanos wanting to have fun and fist fight instead of just tossing everyone into the sun and enjoying his day without an axe in the chest. You have to concede some of these ridiculous ideas just to make the movie work with the infinity gauntlet so I’m ok with it 

You're absolutely right that there were plot holes.  The one about Strange not cutting off Thanos's arm with a portal feels particularly egregious because they actually took the time to foreshadow it on screen and demonstrate their capability for doing so, something was unnecessary and only done to get a laugh.  But I don't have a problem with all of the punching when they have much greater powers available because that's how comic books work.

I would have a much bigger problem if Strange didn't let Iron Man in on the knowledge he gained from viewing all of the possible outcomes because then there would literally be no point to putting that scene in the movie and demonstrating Strange's capability for doing this.  It would be such a big plot hole and annoying red herring.

10 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Just saw it. Give it a B+. A very, very, VERY good movie but not quite a great one. The pace ( as has been mentioned here) is excellent, you're on

the edge of the seat throughout. Script was fantastic, lots of laugh out loud moments. Battle scenes were brillant, as you would expect from the Russo

brothers. So why not an A or A-? Its just lacked that one unforgettable moment, that payoff scene were the whole theater would erupt into applause. 

(eg. the airport scene in Captain America: Civil War). 

Still, fundamentally, a huge success. I cannot wait of IW Part 2!

The moment was there. You just don't like Thor. :silly:

So was the post credits scene in Age of Ultron (the one with Thanos says he'll just do himself as he has the Infinity Gauntlet) suppose to be in the future?

Or has Eitri been sitting around for 3+ years with all his dead friends, hands encased in stone and neither Thor nor Loki (or even Heimdall) noticed that one of the 9 realms was virtually destroyed?

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

So was the post credits scene in Age of Ultron (the one with Thanos says he'll just do himself as he has the Infinity Gauntlet) suppose to be in the future?

Or has Eitri been sitting around for 3+ years with all his dead friends, hands encased in stone and neither Thor nor Loki (or even Heimdall) noticed that one of the 9 realms was virtually destroyed?

I read an article about that. Chalk it up to just a plot incongruity. It happens. Kind of like the "fake" gauntlet in Thor 1.

My brother floated a theory that explains why Strange didn't use the time stone to undo Starlord's idiocy: he saw them getting the gauntlet from Thanos and still losing.  Strange clearly has a plan, and giving Thanos the stones to complete the gauntlet was part of it.

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Hide contents

My brother floated a theory that explains why Strange didn't use the time stone to undo Starlord's idiocy: he saw them getting the gauntlet from Thanos and still losing.  Strange clearly has a plan, and giving Thanos the stones to complete the gauntlet was part of it.

Spoiler

Of course it is. Everything Strange did or didn't do after that point has to be predicated on the foreknowledge of that one single outcome where they win.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Trying to recall if he saw the 14+ million possible outcomes before or after Star-Lord did his thing with Thanos.

Might explain one of the previous plotholes if it was before..

It was before. He is looking at all the outcomes off to the side while the others are arguing about the plan. 

Strange was willing to go along with all of it and hold true to his statement of letting everyone die to protect the time stone if he had to until after he saw the one outcome where they win. At that point, he knew Stark had to be alive for it so when Thanos was seconds away from killing Stark, Strange gave up the time stone to spare him and give their future a chance. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It was before. He is looking at all the outcomes off to the side while the others are arguing about the plan. 

Strange was willing to go along with all of it and hold true to his statement of letting everyone die to protect the time stone if he had to until after he saw the one outcome where they win. At that point, he knew Stark had to be alive for it so when Thanos was seconds away from killing Stark, Strange gave up the time stone to spare him and give their future a chance. 

So was giving up the time stone always part of Strange's plan, or was it improvised to preserve the outcome?  Because, why not tell Stark what the deal is so he doesnt do something stupid, like fight Thanos one on one.  

Once Strange says there's only one winning outcome, they all shoulda said "well, what is it and what do we have to do to get it?"

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So was giving up the time stone always part of Strange's plan, or was it improvised to preserve the outcome?  Because, why not tell Stark what the deal is so he doesnt do something stupid, like fight Thanos one on one.  

Once Strange says there's only one winning outcome, they all shoulda said "well, what is it and what do we have to do to get it?"

If I remember correctly, they didn't have time. And it would make things a little boring.

9 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Maybe it's the Back to the Future scenario. If Strange tells Stark what's to come who says Stark doesn't break off and do his own thing which changes those future events and leads to them losing in the end? The less he knows the better. 

2 minutes ago, AJ* said:

Maybe it's the Back to the Future scenario. If Strange tells Stark what's to come who says Stark doesn't break off and do his own thing which changes those future events and leads to them losing in the end? The less he knows the better. 

With 14 million outcomes, I would think Stark doing his own thing would be at least 7-8 million of 'em. lol

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's the theory.  The only winning outcome demanded that Thanos get the stones and use the gauntlet apparently.

One has to wonder... if that is the winning outcome, what the heck is the losing? :ols:

25 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It could have happened offscreen.

I bet it did.  Tony Stark withholds information frequently.  If you keep this part off screen then you preserve dramatic tension in your story-telling.

24 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Maybe if Strange had just handed Thanos the stone he would have killed them all including Stark who is needed for the 1 outcome.  Therefore they had to battle Thanos to win his respect and to bargain.  

8 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

One has to wonder... if that is the winning outcome, what the heck is the losing? :ols:

They're going to undo Thanos's work somehow.  Spider-man has a sequel coming up after IW2.

I'm getting a one-ring vibe from the gauntlet.  They needed Thanos to use it and maybe break it so that no one worse would use it.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They're going to undo Thanos's work somehow.  Spider-man has a sequel coming up after IW2.

I'm getting a one-ring vibe from the gauntlet.  They needed Thanos to use it and maybe break it so that no one worse would use it.

It definitely looked damaged/melted after the last use.

I also wish we could've seen how he obtained the Aether/Reality Gem.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That or some kinda Dragonball deal where they gotta go on some quest to find a bunch of different stuff to undo everything. 

The more I think about the ending and the more the shock of it wears off, the more I'm kinda like "wait, this is kinda silly..."

Archived