Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Who says these coaches never come up with any adjustments.

The biggest problem with cutting Jay is Alex Smith's injury and contract. I think the only chance of getting a good HC prospect next year is if a defensive minded coach falls in love with our line.

I think the goal may just be to suck as hard as possible in 2019 with Jay, try to go 2-14 or worse, and grab the best QB in the 2020 draft.

Wow. Jay Gruden ain’t no dummy. He coached his way into job security.  Oh me. 

*Puts fingers in ears and sticks tongue out*

3 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Call a timeout and then somehow have 12 men on the field after the timeout, when it's 4th and 3 for the other team. Coaching.

ya that play is probably the tipping point on jay's tenure here. i fully expect them to fire jay, keep bruce, overpay mccarthy for name-value only, then not bring any player changes for next year

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

They asked him in press conference what he will change and he said nothing.  So I'm fine with changing him, after a game like that with season on line, unacceptable response

Thats basically the answer of someone who has quit.  He said it because every other time he answered "we will look at the tape and change some things", and it never works, and he knows it, and hes tired of the question.

Hes gone, and he knows it.  Hopefully Dan Snyder also knows it...

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

After this ongoing debacle, I want to hear no excuses for Jay.

No Bruce.

No Dan.

No Injuries.

None of those things forgive an unimaginative, predictable game plan, poor preparation, pit situations, mistakes, penalties, etc.

Just awful preparation and coaching all the way around.

Top 5 in negative runs and holding penalties.

Just absolutely horrific.

And 98% on Jay.

The team quit on Jay. (maybe to send a message on Kapernick) but the D quit...the O was never there. I would think Jay would get fired right now..the whole staff.

I'm done with this team until they clean house again..48 years being a "Skins" fan... this organization and team are the Washington Dead Skids..NOT worthy of being called Redskins..Fire em NOW before the end of the day or the watch the stadium seats empty.

1 minute ago, brandymac27 said:

He seriously said nothing????

It was specific question that was insenuated about his job status and he started listing off everything he said he wouldn't change, not what he would.  He eventually was asked about starting JJ, looks like that will happen, but otherwise, just going try harder weremt ready again.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

They asked him in press conference what he will change and he said nothing.  So I'm fine with changing him, after a game like that with season on line, unacceptable response

Honestly, with a response like that, if I was Dan Snyder, I might go up to him and say "things will change". And fire him on the spot.

And I hate Dan Snyder.

I am officially off of the keep Gruden till the end of the year bandwagon. I have been defending him for 2 seasons and it is just time. Gruden and Bruce need to go tonight. Season on the line and the team lays a disgusting rotten egg. He had 5 years. Time to move on.

37 minutes ago, Burgold said:

General note: Mobile QB Alex Smith almost never rolled out. Mobile QB Colt McCoy almost never rolled out. Mark Sanchez almost never ruled out. Mobile QB Josh Johnson comes in game 13 and... hey let's move the pocket!

Who says these coaches never come up with any adjustments.

The biggest problem with cutting Jay is Alex Smith's injury and contract. I think the only chance of getting a good HC prospect next year is if a defensive minded coach falls in love with our line.

I think the goal may just be to suck as hard as possible in 2019 with Jay, try to go 2-14 or worse, and grab the best QB in the 2020 draft.

We can cut Norman, Reed and Brown and eat Smiths contract. That would still leave us with 12 Mill for FA. Those guys are gonna be gone anyways. Time to blow it all up and start from scratch IMO.

The team has obviously quit. I know we have 3rd stringers all over on offense, but the effort level isn't there and that's on the coach.

While I think Gruden got some rotten luck with the injuries, ultimately he has gotta go. You look around the league and other teams whose seasons were over long before ours are playing a lot harder.

We can do that and we still will be a very unattractive destination for a hot coaching prospect. I'm not opposed to blowing it up, but at the moment, I'm seeing 2018 being so bad that the team doesn't have a shot in 2019 either, barring a miracle.

Maybe the best thing we can do is just give up on 2019, embrace the suck, trade away our resources, take the cap hit, and start over again in 2020. Maybe that way we can get Tua or Haskins or someone else who the team can build around.

In the short term, I'd fire Bruce. I'd consider promoting Smith, but look for the best GM prospect possible and offer them max control. Then, I'd let em know that Dan Snyder is going on eighteen consecutive world cruises. The owner will leave an open check book, but won't even be around to sit in his booth during games. I'd give Gruden a lame duck season, letting him, the coaching staff, and the players know that they have no faith in them and fully expect to fire all of em as soon as 2019 ends.

Then, I'd have Snyder cut an apology check to every member of ES. Sliding scale for seniority. After all, we deserve something for being here.

Trade Reed/williams/Norman 

And I hate saying that. But having the best LT in the league on one of the worst teams, at a high salary, is a waste. Trade him. Trade Reed for whatever we can get. He's always hurt. Always. And Norman has been pretty good, but an overpaid vet we should trade or cut. 

Just go all in with a rebuild now that we have to start from zero from QB and probably coach. 

Honestly, the silver lining is getting rid of those high salaries can allow you to eat the guaranteed money due to Alex Smith 

1 minute ago, Butters20 said:

Trade Reed/williams/Norman 

And I hate saying that. But having the best LT in the league on one of the worst teams, at a high salary, is a waste. Trade him. Trade Reed for whatever we can get. He's always hurt. Always. And Norman has been pretty good, but an overpaid vet we should trade or cut. 

Just go all in with a rebuild now that we have to start from zero from QB and probably coach. 

Honestly, the silver lining is getting rid of those high salaries can allow you to eat the guaranteed money due to Alex Smith 

We won't get much if anything for them in trades. We'll have to cut them.

Williams isn't the best LT in the league and really hasn't been since probably 2016. He's hurt all the time and commits a penalty EVERY week.

Archived