Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evaluating Jay Gruden in 2018

Voice_of_Reason

5 minutes ago, Butters20 said:

Trent is still top 3 in league.

He still has trade value. But the injuries are accumulating and it would be a shame to tie him to this team. 

If you love something, set it free.     Or something like that 

I don't believe he's top 3 in the league. His value is very minimal. Nobody will give up much for him if anything. We'll have to cut him and we should but we won't because this team doesn't operate with any sort of foresight or outside the box creative thinking.

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The team has obviously quit. I know we have 3rd stringers all over on offense, but the effort level isn't there and that's on the coach.

While I think Gruden got some rotten luck with the injuries, ultimately he has gotta go. You look around the league and other teams whose seasons were over long before ours are playing a lot harder.

The fact that we have so many backups playing should mean we see even more effort by guys trying to prove their worth, if not for this team, then for any other team that might see them on tape. 

2 minutes ago, emoore0222 said:

Snyder should fire Jay Gruden and hire Russ Grimm ASAP.  He would take the job as he loves the franchise and bring discipline which is what we need most.   

And we can get Monte Coleman to be the LB coach, Charles Mann to be the d-line coach, John Riggins to be the RB coach, and...well, you get the picture.

3 minutes ago, emoore0222 said:

Snyder should fire Jay Gruden and hire Russ Grimm ASAP.  He would take the job as he loves the franchise and bring discipline which is what we need most.   

NO. No more ex-players! No more Manusky's. No more Grimms. No more Buccaneers. JUST. SAY. NO.

2 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

The fact that we have so many backups playing should mean we see even more effort by guys trying to prove their worth, if not for this team, then for any other team that might see them on tape. 

Effort won't get you much against pro players.

Though the effort is seriously missing on D right now.

And we're gonna end the season with a weird stat as the team that scores first always win our games. Considering our O, it'll likely carry on til the end of the season.

I feel like our coaching staff is fed up having to plug and play new guys every week. And you can feel that on the players. End of season cannot come soon enough for all of them...

Last year our season was over when CT went down.

This season did the same when Alex Smith, Lauvao and Scherff went down.

So it seems some are hoping to get fired, cut, or whatever so they can get out of this mess soon.

Sadly we cannot be cut and have to live through it...

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

NO. No more ex-players! No more Manusky's. No more Grimms. No more Buccaneers. JUST. SAY. NO.

Agreed. My requirement for new GM and/or coach is to have NO ties to this franchise. None whatsoever. I want someone completely fresh and new.

We're the only franchise in the league that is obsessed with our past. There are brilliant minds all over the NFL.

7 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

And we can get Monte Coleman to be the LB coach, Charles Mann to be the d-line coach, John Riggins to be the RB coach, and...well, you get the picture.

ANd hire Brian Mitchell as PR director. Then he can't talk **** about us anymore... 

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't believe he's top 3 in the league. His value is very minimal. Nobody will give up much for him if anything. We'll have to cut him and we should but we won't because this team doesn't operate with any sort of foresight or outside the box creative thinking.

He's at least close to top 3 when healthy still, but he rarely is these days.

But he's younger and better than Duane Brown when he was dealt. Brown also had some big injuries and he was holding out. He was traded (with a 5th) for a 2nd and a 3rd.  It's really a matter of finding a team with a big LT need, that's close enough to contending for him to make a difference, and that evaluates Williams' injuries as not too troubling.

He also could be a guy who's peak trade value could come during the season, pre-deadline.

7 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Has anyone you mentioned coached in the NFL?  Did they coach in the last few years?  Did they help win a super bowl as a coach?   I can understand you not agreeing but I don't think the extra was necessary.

2 hours ago, righteousbowi said:

Ladies and Gentlemen,  I do believe this may be the last of the Tampa connection In DC. Time to right the ship and bring back a Defensive minded coach, I'll say Vic Fangio(miss spell) or Greg Williams. 

Gregg has won 3 games with the Browns since he became interim coach. 

Does he still suck? Let me check...

Yup, still sucks. 

Seriously, I’m tired of seeing Jay’s clueless mug on TV looking like he’s not really sure what’s going on. You never see him respond to poor play or chew guys out or anything. It’s just the same, dopey look like he’s going through the motions. We will never win anything with him and some of the other guys on this staff, no matter who is playing.

He has had an opportunity and he hasn’t performed. Simple as that.

This game had some of the most unimaginative play calling I have ever seen.  Every single time AP got the ball the Giants were on top of him.  It was like they knew our playbook better than Sanchez did, which is not all that hard to imagine.  Jay is supposed to be a great offensive mind.  The only thing offensive about him is his play calling.  Absolutely horrendous.  Pack up your office and don't forget to turn off the lights on your way out.

I'm watching RZ and they're showing Broncos/49ers. The 49ers, who also have a ton of injuries including to their starting QB, are up 20-0 on a good Bronco team.

I'm not saying we should expect similar results, but I want the same kind of dedication to effort and preparation.

I think today was a big step in showing Jay the door. 

I'm not one to typically **** about playcalling but...todays playcalling was terrible.  And I know we've got two quarterbacks that have been here about 5 minutes but....that end around to Chesson was just dumb.  I've yet to see an end around play work with Gruden as coach.  

Jay is a good dude but I think it's time for a refresh.

49 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

effort means less when the collective talent drops below  a certain level

A good coach understands the players he has and their limitations...

A good coach DOES NOT...

Run RPO with Mark Sanchez behind 4th string O line at their own 1 yard line

Hand the ball to Chris Thompson up the gut on 3rd and 2 when you have Adrian Peterson

Run a jet sweep to chiasson when you have CT and Crowder

And that was while the game was still within reach

In general i have been supporter of Jay but i think this is a lost cause now... just the whole leadership structure....

Fire Bruce and Jay now... promote the young guy within to be the GM... give him few werks head start to look for the right new coach and move on...

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

He's top 3 (name 3 that are undisputibly better). 

And he's scheme flexible, since he's very mobile and athletic. 

Therefore, he's got a lot of value. 

Anyways....

Don't think he gets traded or cut, but it's a way to get picks and save money...

Archived