Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

2 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

So if Wright goes at least 6 IP and holds KC to 3 runs or less should he get credited with a quality start :)

KC is already thinking that they want this game done too. They may swing at everything 

There's only 2 compelling things left for the next 5 months: 1) What happens with Manny/who gets traded, and 2) just how bad can this season actually get.  Something tells me we havent seen rock bottom yet.

If they just improve from the current .229 clip to .300, that's still 110-115 loss territory.  The '03 Tigers were the worst team of the last 30 years and they were 43-119, or .265.

Even a bad team should have positive stretches. I have to believe that one is coming soon. The rotation has 4 average MLB starters and the offense (despite having guys out) has to produce better than it is sooner than later.) 

I hope Bundy's not hurt. 

49 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Even a bad team should have positive stretches. I have to believe that one is coming soon. The rotation has 4 average MLB starters and the offense (despite having guys out) has to produce better than it is sooner than later.) 

I hope Bundy's not hurt. 

I dont mean it like it sounds, but I almost hope he is, because that would at least be an excuse and explain it.  He can heal up and get back to normal, as opposed to going out there and getting shelled and not knowing why and just hoping he figures it out.

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Is it possible the Orioles are just regressing to the mean? Since 2012, we have outperformed our projected record by 50 or so games (combined). Maybe in 2018 we will underperform by that same amount and be back to square one! 

That's funny, I was actually thinking this is going to put a large dent in Buck's record with the Orioles.  I am not sure how many games over .500 he is during his time here but finishing with 50 wins (it's looking like that could be a very realistic number) might knock him under .500.  That would be a big black eye to someone that presided over mostly winning clubs while here.

But I don't think they're regressing to the mean.  I just think these guys all suddenly got bad at once.  Davis has been on a downward trend, Jones' skills aren't going to translate well as he gets older, Tillman isn't what he was, Britton is hurt....Trumbo's 47 homer season was a big outlier.  

Other than Manny, no one is on the upside or in the prime of their career anymore.  Everyone's peaked.  And as long as everyone was on the upswing or in the prime of their career, beating a projected record is possible.  Those projections are based on the previous years...and if you are getting better as a ballplayer or reaching your peak, it seems possible to outperform a projection.

Unfortunately, I think this team isn't going to get any better.  Soon a malaise will set in and these guys will just be playing out the string, or hoping to get traded.  Season is essentially over from a playoff perspective.  

Does anyone even watch anymore?  They've just been so putrid I cannot even fathom turning their games on to check the score.  MASN Orioles social media account last night had the audacity to post a video of Davis hitting a 421 foot homer, while the scoreboard in the corner indicated that was making it a 9 run game in the 2nd inning.  For shame.

EDIT:  I just found it.  Buck is 34 games over .500 as a manager for the Orioles.

There's a very good chance that he will not be over .500 by the end of the season.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Does anyone even watch anymore?  They've just been so putrid I cannot even fathom turning their games on to check the score.  MASN Orioles social media account last night had the audacity to post a video of Davis hitting a 421 foot homer, while the scoreboard in the corner indicated that was making it a 9 run game in the 2nd inning.  For shame.

I do.  I don't know why, but I do.  

Primarily because there's nothing else to watch and this is ritual for me.  Much like I don't know what else I'd do in the fall at 1pm on a Sunday if I'm not watching a Redskins game, it's the same in spring and summer during baseball season for most evenings.  Waited all ****ing winter not to NOT watch baseball.  And while I can practically watch any other game, I'm not invested like I am with the Orioles...even when they're this bad.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I do.  I don't know why, but I do.  

Primarily because there's nothing else to watch and this is ritual for me.  Much like I don't know what else I'd do in the fall at 1pm on a Sunday if I'm not watching a Redskins game, it's the same in spring and summer during baseball season for most evenings.  Waited all ****ing winter not to NOT watch baseball.  And while I can practically watch any other game, I'm not invested like I am with the Orioles...even when they're this bad.  

I get it.  I'm much closer to a bandwagon baseball fan than a die-hard.  Been with the O's since birth and could never make the move to the Nats.  Regular season baseball is just a hard watch on TV for me unless the team is remotely competitive.

I still watch though it can almost constitute background noise at times now. I will miss tonight as I’m going to see Norfolk at Durham. Apparently DJ Stewart has been playing more RF recently. Could be he gets a shot when Santander goes to AAA in a few days. 

Some made a comment on MASN site and it hits home with me. Why can’t the O’s act like a normal, common sense team? There are 3-5 things they could easily do to improve the roster/organization but they refuse. It makes me appreciate the Caps that much more even if I disagree with occasional moves.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get it.  I'm much closer to a bandwagon baseball fan than a die-hard.  Been with the O's since birth and could never make the move to the Nats.  Regular season baseball is just a hard watch on TV for me unless the team is remotely competitive.

I get it and I kind of wish I was that way.  It's almost like sadomasochism for me.  I don't understand it myself. 

Like I'll be glued to the tv tonite to see what happens.  wtf.  

I watch, but it's a lot more in and out. It's so depressing i barely feel like coming in here and griping. Finding a video of something to post for a home run just sucks if it makes the score 9-1

Sleep happens early.

give me a nice 7 or 8 or 30 game win streak.

~Bang

Non-competitive April/May baseball is brutal.  The season's too long to be out of it this early.  Blowing up the team is the only thing to look forward to.  

Even a couple of months of .570 baseball like they had when Buck first showed up in 2010 wont make it much better.  They still finished with 96 losses.  They played .300 baseball through July.  

The only energizing this team is gonna get is from all new players. 

They're headed for back to back last place finishes, bad contracts, underwhelming farm system, and the best player is on a farewell tour.  Good times.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Non-competitive April/May baseball is brutal.  The season's too long to be out of it this early.  Blowing up the team is the only thing to look forward to.  

Even a couple of months of .570 baseball like they had when Buck first showed up in 2010 wont make it much better.  They still finished with 96 losses.  They played .300 baseball through July.  

The only energizing this team is gonna get is from all new players. 

They're headed for back to back last place finishes, bad contracts, underwhelming farm system, and the best player is on a farewell tour.  Good times.

I'm worried that we are back to what I used to dream of (prior to 2012) from my Orioles....get me to August so I can focus on the Redskins. It didn't happen often, but from 1998 through 2011 that's what I'd hope for. Hover around .500 into July and then I can get an influx of training camp and preseason stories to distract me. 

The past 5-6 years has been nuts. I remember, despite being a much bigger Redskins fan and RGIII being such a phenom, opting to watch September Oriole games when they were chasing down the Yankees in 2012. Not full games...but if they were playing a Sunday game and the Skins were playing too I would find myself lingering on an Oriole inning and missing entire drives of the Redskins game. That's unheard of for me. 

I still watch when I can which is 3-5 games a week. I sat down last night to watch then bam 7-0 ?‍♂️. I always go to about 5 games a year and usually try to find a nice Saturday night game when the weather gets nice like now but damn it’s hard to wanna spend that money and have a game over in the 2nd inning. Atleast the beer will be cold!

Archived