Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

On 4/25/2018 at 5:58 PM, capcrunch98 said:

Same here.  I think they'll improve at some point this year, but under even the rosiest of circumstances they'll finish as a bottom-10 team, and almost certainly the next couple seasons too.  And I can accept a 3 - 4 year rebuild, with Manny and any other veteran of value being shipped out, as long as the front office is all in on it.  I'll certainly put my money where my mouth is and continue to make it out to a dozen or so games per year.  I just really don't want DD overseeing the rebuild.  It's bad enough he'll be in charge of the inevitable firesale this summer.

My one concern is that they improve of a sustained amount of time pre-July. My biggest fear would be ANYTHING preventing them from selling anything that isn't nailed down. 

2 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Tillman with a one hitter thru six?  Didn’t see that coming.

He was typical Tillman in the first inning but escaped without giving up a run. He still has almost no fastball command, but the off-speed stuff was pretty filthy. He shouldn't throw his fastball more than 20% of the time at this point. 

27 minutes ago, Bang said:

The hole is not too deep yet..  it isn't even May. They need to be a miracle team though to get back into competition..   but they have almost the entire season to do it.

~Bang

Hopeful the front office and especially the owner don’t make decisions based on the chances of a miracle happening. I view the season as over already.

49 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Man, that's a lot coming from you.

There is virtually no chance this team is going to play 32-35 games over .500 from here on out which is what it would take to make the playoffs. Currently the O's have some good young talent in the majors and some in the minors and it's just begging for a few more prospects in trades and the next two drafts. The O's should be transitioning to 2019 right now. 

Also, I'm tired of watching the O's being buyers when they should have been sellers and watching the roster construction has been painful. There is a lot of dysfunction going on throughout the organization and it starts with the owner. Frustrating times.  

23 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I would root for teams with some of the worst owners- Dan, Ted and Peter. Don’t know which is worse.

Just curious what you have against Ted?  I don't give a **** about the Wizards, so I can't speak on them.  But as a lifelong Caps fan, he's a Jennifer Lawrence - Kate Upton menage a trois compared to Abe Pollin.  He oversaw the Capitals from a team that couldn't even sell out the Conference Finals (STHs were given free extras tickets vs. Buffalo in '98) to a club that has a loyal fanbase, spends to the cap every year, and has been a legit contender for a decade.  He seems like he genuinely cares about the team and the fans.  He's been a little too loyal to his front office, but that's about the only real complaint I can think of with him.

Of course everyone on the planet would agree with you on Snyder and Angelos.

3 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Just curious what you have against Ted?  I don't give a **** about the Wizards, so I can't speak on them.  But as a lifelong Caps fan, he's a Jennifer Lawrence - Kate Upton menage a trois compared to Abe Pollin.  He oversaw the Capitals from a team that couldn't even sell out the Conference Finals (STHs were given free extras tickets vs. Buffalo in '98) to a club that has a loyal fanbase, spends to the cap every year, and has been a legit contender for a decade.  He seems like he genuinely cares about the team and the fans.  He's been a little too loyal to his front office, but that's about the only real complaint I can think of with him.

Of course everyone on the planet would agree with you on Snyder and Angelos.

Two words: 

Ernie Grunfeld

This team is amazingly bad. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever see a championship in my lifetime. I'm 35, what do you think? I was one year old when they won in 1983 so that doesn't count.

At this rate, with the players we are probably going to lose, I don't see this team being competitive for quite some time.

7 hours ago, abdcskins said:

This team is amazingly bad. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever see a championship in my lifetime. I'm 35, what do you think? I was one year old when they won in 1983 so that doesn't count.

At this rate, with the players we are probably going to lose, I don't see this team being competitive for quite some time.

I've wondered the same for a few years now, too.  

My VPN doesn't work anymore, apparently MLB.TV has blocked it so now I can't see the games until they're done being played.  At this rate, it might be a good thing.

Bundy has quickly come back to earth.

So, some good news!

when they are on a west coast swing andi  can't stay up to watch the games, i try to predict the score as my At Bat app is opening while i do my morning constitutional.

Today i was right on the nose!

Ok, so there isn't anything else to cheer for.

~Dang

They can be historically bad.  Like 62 Mets, 2003 Tigers bad.

Red Sox are awesome.  Yankees are catching fire.  We have to play them a bunch of more times.

They're most likely going to trade Manny, the one hitter we have this year who's having a good year.  Even if they don't trade him, he's still only one hitter out of nine. 

Davis, somehow, is inexplicably worse than he was last year.  I think it's safe to say that he's not going to magically get better.

Apathy will start to set in where these guys are just showing up to play out the string.  I don't know if it has yet, but I can't imagine that it's far off.  

The offense is getting to a point where we can no longer say "small sample size!" And going back to last September, this team has been THIS bad.  

This is a franchise that once got beat 30-3 in the first game of a doubleheader and then lost the next game 9-7.  This is a franchise that went 0-21 to start a season.  This is a franchise that once went 4-32 to close out a season.  

I am not kidding, 60 wins would be a miracle for this team right now.  To finish with 60 wins, they'd have to play .400 baseball for the rest of the season.  They might have stretches where they win 4/10 games but there's no way they can do that consistently.

Archived