Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

Smoak swings but they call it a check. Walks. Wild pitch. Augh. 

Broken bat single. Santander throws the ball to nobody. Sisco deflects it. Castro’s not really backing it up and the ball does into the camera well for an automatic run. 

Wow. Cluster****. 

Beckham boots a grounder because our 3rd baseman is playing shortstop and our shortstop is playing 3b. Because... reasons. 

Not much we can do. Though I’d rather be losing this way with Cedric Mullins and Austin Hays getting ABs here. 

At the starting pitching appears to be better this year. Castro is just snake bit right now. 

Oh, per Granderson, this is why the O’s need more than one lefty in the pen.

It's only been 2 weeks, but at this point, I think most of us can agree that the absolute best case scenario for this team is a .500 season.  And what would that really buy us?  Some meaningful games in July, maybe August, but at the expense of DD and ownership making more short-sighted decisions and not starting the sell off?  This team is nowhere close to being good enough to contend and sadly the window for this current group has closed.  So play the young guys, finish low in the standings to secure a top-5 pick to hopefully draft a cornerstone player, get a good haul for Manny, and possibly hitch a Chris Davis salary dump to a deal involving some of our other vets.  Not only am I okay with a last place finish this year, I'm actually hoping for it.

Yeah, I pretty much had blind optimism to start the season.  I figured with Schoop and Manny we'd have two great hitters, along with nightly contributions from random others.  But man does our lineup look weak.  Chris Davis is absolute trash, I'm not going to keep harping on that.  Beckham hasn't shown much.  Schoop has disappointed.  At this point I'm praying Mark Trumbo can do something but I'm not counting on it.

Time to blow it up.  Everyone is available except Bundy, Mancini, and Sisco as far as I'm concerned.  I love you Adam, you bleed orange and black, but I'm sick of seeing you flail at pitches 2 feet out of the strike zone.  Get rid of him sooner rather than later, no need to wait until the deadline.

I'm not ready to blow it up, but I don't have any realistic hope for any playoff run no matter what they may do to the roster... except maybe to get a closer.

That said, its very early, and eventually Schoop will start to hit, Davis will find a stroke, the bats will come around. Mancini will start to see some of those robberies he's been a victim of turn into hits.

They've lost two tight ones to Toronto, but prior to that, the Jays have been piling up runs. (I know they scored 7 on Monday, a grand slam in the ninth says more to our massive closer problem than if we'd just given up 7 over the entire game.)

Move Manny back to third. Beckham is nowhere near the instinctive playmaker over there that Machado is. Beckham was fine at short.. Manny was fine at 3rd.. it wasn't broke, no need to fix it.

Bundy was solid, Cashner was solid.. if Gausmann can start to show what he was drafted for, well, there's that. Tillman needs to go.. not only does he get rocked, but he gets ROCKED.. Gary Thorne probably has a tape loop of himself saying "He STUNG that one!" to play when batters make contact with a Tillman pitch.

I'm still here. 

~Bang

9 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Yeah, I pretty much had blind optimism to start the season.  I figured with Schoop and Manny we'd have two great hitters, along with nightly contributions from random others.  But man does our lineup look weak.  Chris Davis is absolute trash, I'm not going to keep harping on that.  Beckham hasn't shown much.  Schoop has disappointed.  At this point I'm praying Mark Trumbo can do something but I'm not counting on it.

Time to blow it up.  Everyone is available except Bundy, Mancini, and Sisco as far as I'm concerned.  I love you Adam, you bleed orange and black, but I'm sick of seeing you flail at pitches 2 feet out of the strike zone.  Get rid of him sooner rather than later, no need to wait until the deadline.

I support getting out of the Jones business sooner, rather than later, as you suggest.  Unless the money is right. 

I wonder what his price will be.  I envision a less productive Torii Hunter as Jones moves into his mid 30s.  If Jones will drop down about $5 in AAV, I would consider a return.

26 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

So who would be the 5th starter?  Mike Wright?  

Not sure. It can't be Tillman any more. 

Someone suggested David Hess. That would work. Had a solid year at AA last season, is on the 40 man roster and had a good first start at Norfolk. 

Archived