Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

26 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Currently, this teams sits at a .279 clip.  The infamous '88 season where they were 54-107 and started 0-21, they finished at .335.  

I think this team gets a little better, but I am not sure how much better they can get.  Cobb is a better pitcher than he's shown to be, the rotation is decent.  Cashner isn't bad.  Bundy, if he keeps going like this, is a Cy Young candidate.  

The offense is just terrible.  I mean, if we can have a season like we did in 2012 or 2014 with people having career years, we can also have a season where everyone has the ****tiest season in their career, too.  Especially when guys are getting older, slower, and losing their skills.  

On 4/19/2018 at 4:17 PM, abdcskins said:

At least Machado is tearing the cover off the ball.

I never thought Cobb was good. Everytime I saw him pitch in Tampa Bay he got lit up. I fully expect him to suck the rest of the year.

Highest contract ever offered for a pitcher by the Os. Of course, surpassing Ubaldo. 

Cobb - can he get back to his pre TJ numbers, then the Os got a steal (2.8 era, 8 strikes out per 9). If he puts up his 2017 numbers (3.6 era, 6.4 so/9), hes worth his contract. 

But what if playing at camden and never getting back to his pre TJ abilities makes him a 4+ era pitcher who doesnt go more than 180 ip and wears down in August.

I guess he is a trade chip in a year if he has decent numbers. 

Everyone saw this coming. I even think the Os FO saw it coming but couldnt do anything to address it bc of the broken power struggle of Buck vs DD Brady Anderson vs Angelos family and all the distrust after the toronto thing .. Buck and DD on last years of their contracts. 

So inept. 

I'm not worried about Cobb I think it's all just a function of coming in late.  He'll get it together and at least give some solid starts.  Wont make a bit of difference in the big picture, but I feel optimistic this isnt an Ubaldo/Gallardo situation. 

Limp dick offense.

I've never really liked our offense.   Low OBP, no small ball skills, no speed, no balance..of course when they're all bashing homers it's fun but when they're not, they suck......but they are ****ing terrible this year.  Davis is useless, Jones mostly doesn't look good.  Manny and Mancini are the only hitters that look worth a ****.  

2 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

I would assume Manny Machado has been playing baseball since he was a little kid...and he still hasn't figured out how to run the ****ing bases yet? 

Or how many outs there are?  

WTF!

He was gambling that it was going to fall. Wasn't good baserunning, but I get the mind set. Of all the things to criticize about the organization, this is currently the least important on my list. 

25 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

The five stages of grief about the 2018 Orioles - Camden Chat

What stage of grief are you at?  I think I already made it to Acceptance, unfortunately.   

Same here.  I think they'll improve at some point this year, but under even the rosiest of circumstances they'll finish as a bottom-10 team, and almost certainly the next couple seasons too.  And I can accept a 3 - 4 year rebuild, with Manny and any other veteran of value being shipped out, as long as the front office is all in on it.  I'll certainly put my money where my mouth is and continue to make it out to a dozen or so games per year.  I just really don't want DD overseeing the rebuild.  It's bad enough he'll be in charge of the inevitable firesale this summer.

3 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Same here.  I think they'll improve at some point this year, but under even the rosiest of circumstances they'll finish as a bottom-10 team, and almost certainly the next couple seasons too.  And I can accept a 3 - 4 year rebuild, with Manny and any other veteran of value being shipped out, as long as the front office is all in on it.  I'll certainly put my money where my mouth is and continue to make it out to a dozen or so games per year.  I just really don't want DD overseeing the rebuild.  It's bad enough he'll be in charge of the inevitable firesale this summer.

A competent baseball GM shouldn't take that long to do a rebuild with this team. There are a few holes in the minors on the left side of the infield, but trading Manny, Britton and whomever else should net a least one or two good prospects on the left side. The resources are there if the ownership doesn't screw it up. 

In the minors today:

Keegan Akin (AA) and Cameron Bishop (low A) both with 6 shut out innings. We are going to see Akin in Baltimore later this year. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

A competent baseball GM shouldn't take that long to do a rebuild with this team. There are a few holes in the minors on the left side of the infield, but trading Manny, Britton and whomever else should net a least one or two good prospects on the left side. The resources are there if the ownership doesn't screw it up. 

In the minors today:

Keegan Akin (AA) and Cameron Bishop (low A) both with 6 shut out innings. We are going to see Akin in Baltimore later this year. 

No need to start that kids FA eligibility clock for this season.  

5 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

The five stages of grief about the 2018 Orioles - Camden Chat

What stage of grief are you at?  I think I already made it to Acceptance, unfortunately.   

I'm somewhere between depression and acceptance.  Acceptance that this team ****ing sucks and the window is firmly shut but also depressed that they are entering dark times again we all know how long that last period lasted for.  Comparing how far we are from the Sox, Yanks and even Jays is a reminder of how far removed from being competitive this team is.

Just another 0-for-4 night at the plate for Crust Davis.  He seems like an all-around great dude, and I tip my hat to the good seasons he put up here, but I cannot believe how long and for how much money we're committed to him.  At this point, if they could hitch him to a trade for Manny, but obviously accept a lot less of a haul in return, would you accept it?  I would.

Just now, capcrunch98 said:

Just another 0-for-4 night at the plate for Crust Davis.  He seems like an all-around great dude, and I tip my hat to the good seasons he put up here, but I cannot believe how long and for how much money we're committed to him.  At this point, if they could hitch him to a trade for Manny, but obviously accept a lot less of a haul in return, would you accept it?  I would.

No team would ever go for it. No player is worth paying $100+ million for 3 months worth of baseball which is what it is essentially 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

No team would ever go for it. No player is worth paying $100+ million for 3 months worth of baseball which is what it is essentially 

What if the O's were to offer some dream package of Machado, Brach (assuming he can return to form), possibly Schoop, Jones etc. to go along with Davis, which would be enticing for some team (*cough* Dodgers) desperate to win the series.  The O's could take on a bad contract or two, or perhaps contribute cash, although the basic structure would have to be the Orioles saving significant cash, I would say at least $50m.   

8 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

What if the O's were to offer some dream package of Machado, Brach (assuming he can return to form), possibly Schoop, Jones etc. to go along with Davis, which would be enticing for some team (*cough* Dodgers) desperate to win the series.  The O's could take on a bad contract or two, or perhaps contribute cash, although the basic structure would have to be the Orioles saving significant cash, I would say at least $50m.   

No way. In that scenario the O’s would be giving up massive assets to get rid of one bad contract. While CD’s contract isn’t good, it won’t stop the O’s from being able to rebuild. The one contract that needs to go first is Trumbo’s.

22 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=15110

MLB mock draft .... 

too soon? 

I just don't trust the Orioles to do anything right when it comes to drafting.  Yeah, they drafted Manny but I chalk that up to being a situation where Manny was just too good that they couldn't screw that up.  Last years first round pick, Cody Sedlock, is in A ball with a 13.50 ERA right now.  Granted, the MLB draft is the biggest crap shoot out of any of them, but still.  

At this rate, they'll definitely be in the top 5 next year, hopefully they can pick a guy like Machado that's too obvious to pass up.

Archived