Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

19 hours ago, Hersh said:

I'm not worried about 6-7 years from now. They don't all have to come up now, but I'd get Akin into Tillman's spot and Dosch starting at 3rd while saying bye to Valencia. I'd also make sure every team knows that we are listening now on Manny. 

BTW, another no-hit alert against the O's going into the 6th. Very happy not to be watching. 

I hear you, but worrying about salvaging this bum squad is what got them in this mess to begin with.  They need to worry about a few years ahead for once.  This season is cooked.  

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I hear you, but worrying about salvaging this bum squad is what got them in this mess to begin with.  They need to worry about a few years ahead for once.  This season is cooked.  

This season is over. I just don’t think it should take 4-5 years to rebuild.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

This season is over. I just don’t think it should take 4-5 years to rebuild.

Our farm is rated 23 according to Baseball Prospectus last year https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/31277/2017-prospects-organizational-rankings/ 

Depending on what we could get for Machado, maybe this improves a bit.  And of course, BP doesn't exactly have a crystal ball.  Still, I don't think you can replace enough in order to make this a competitive squad in 3 years.  Particularly not in the AL East.   Even if we could hit on a few mid-tier FAs/reclamation projects to fill some gaps (e.g., Nelson Cruz, but those guys are going to want short term deals in order to reestablish value, and then you're back to square one when they leave in FA)     Which is why I think we should also considering trading Bundy and Schoop when their value is at a maximum   They should get back decent return since they aren't FAs until 2020/2022

22 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Our farm is rated 23 according to Baseball Prospectus last year https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/31277/2017-prospects-organizational-rankings/ 

Depending on what we could get for Machado, maybe this improves a bit.  And of course, BP doesn't exactly have a crystal ball.  Still, I don't think you can replace enough in order to make this a competitive squad in 3 years.  Particularly not in the AL East.   Even if we could hit on a few mid-tier FAs/reclamation projects to fill some gaps (e.g., Nelson Cruz, but those guys are going to want short term deals in order to reestablish value, and then you're back to square one when they leave in FA)     Which is why I think we should also considering trading Bundy and Schoop when their value is at a maximum   They should get back decent return since they aren't FAs until 2020/2022

A couple others had us middle of the pack as far as rankings go. No team that has success replaces everyone with minor league players. If Schoop and Gausman are moved, hypothetically, the O's will have a payroll of $60 million or so. There is a lot of money to spend to supplement. 

Selling everyone is a big mistake. Rarely does it work that a team does a full sell off and win. Chicago spent huge on free agents before they won. Houston is a little closer but they hit on a couple trades then won big with Verlander. Most teams that sell off everyone, spend years and year trying to make it back and generally don't. Strategic selling is one thing, but you sell everyone and this team could struggle to ever get back. O's have to be smart and be willing to spend. 

Under. I have faith they can go 2-3 in that span.

I'm flying home tomorrow night for a week. I'm gonna go to a game, but for the first time ever I questioned whether I should support such a pathetic team. In the end I love them and love going to Camden so I'm gonna go.

.404 / .623

.507 / .810

.610 (DL) / .747

1.054 / .815

.509 (DL) / .734

.716 / .819

.674 / .776

.559 / .576

.811 / .761

The front and back of the baseball card for these starters. It just has to get better. But I was thinking that two weeks ago, so IDK. It's a nightmare. 

This organization is making me apathetic and I hate them for that. If an organization can't even get rid of Mike Wright or Chris Tillman, I don't have much interest spending time or money on them. I'm happy to see the starters get it going and I don't mind losing, it's the total lack of direction/plan/ability to do anything that takes the life out of a fan base. These aren't even tough moves but who wouldn't feel better that if Wright and Tillman were DFA'd and the hitting coach was fired. 

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm finishing up some work, haven't even had to turn it on yet.  Are you ****ing serious @TheDoyler23?

I’m not watching. I take my son up to bed at 7:15 and intended to start wat hung a few innings in. But the game was already competitively over. At 7:15. Before the offense got an at bat. 

I turned it on think it would be a good game and it was 4-0 with no outs. I hope the good that comes out of this is Mike Wright is finally done. He came in and was fortunate to not give up more than 3. The O’s will need bullpen help with Tillman on the bump on Thursday then a double header Saturday.

Archived