Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your favorite sports teams???

Renegade7

How many sports you follow did you stick with your first team???  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How many sports you follow did you never switch favorite teams in???

• 5 or more
    • I have one or more that are on last straw status as we speak

Edit:  Apparently I can't count when I'm smoking sugar kush, that's why the option "2" is on the bottom.  Sorry, ya'll : /

I really liked this idea in the NBA Thread, so I'll try to help set the format here:

1. If you don't have a favorite team in a sport you don't have to add one for that sport

2. You don't have to list a sport just to show you don't have a favorite team.  This is not a favorite sports thread

3. The order you list your teams doesn't have to be in order of most to least favorite.  if you do, please number them

4. Putting a sport instead of a league is perfectly fine 

5. You're welcome to explain why any of them are your favorite team(s), but you don't have to

6. You can add more then one favorite team for any sport

6. This will be easier if you put the city (or school) with the team name

*I want to preface my list by saying that I gravitate to teams that are from the same area as me because good things come from successful sports teams.  Odds are if I grew up somewhere else, they'd be my favorite teams instead, I honestly believe I'm at that point with sports now.  If any of these teams relocated out of the area, they'd be dead to me. 

1. NFL:  Washington Redskins - Dad worked a lot, but if he was off on a Sunday, he was watching the Redskins.  I'm black, and I not only know, but I like my dad. Of course I wanted his team to do well.  Going to public school in DC for a little while solidified my perspective on that standpoint

2. NBA: Washington Wizards - I mentioned in another thread I started taking them seriously when Jordan joined the front office.  This was around the same time I started to like teams more because of being from the area and wanting them to do well.  Wizards have given me plenty of reasons to bail on them from that point history to here, but I won't.

3. MLB: Washington National - I started as a Yankees fan because my father introduced me to a novel concept: If a franchise makes a lot of money, they should be spending it on getting the best players they can so they can win championships.  To this day I still agree with this.  I started to root for them more, especially against Baltimore, because of what the Orioles owner was doing to try to stop DC from getting a team.  When DC finally got one, I switched over. Baseball is the opposite of what I do for a living, which is why I like it, and its something else I can talk to my dad about.  He's stoked, and I don't blame him.

4. WNBA: Washington Mystics - I want them to do well, too, They're the right role models at the right time for that area.  I looked forward to them not getting kicked out of home stadium  for playoff game anymore, it's ridiculous.

5. NHL: Washington Capitals - I hate to say this, but they bore the hell out of me, and here's what I mean:I like a good 6-1 whipping center, but it just doesn't matter anymore. I'm so anxious to see what they do in the playoffs, which I enjoy and watch way more then regular season, that I kinda tune out sometimes if it wasn't for bleacher report.

6. College BB:  Any team from Virginia, DC, and Maryland (in that order), that makes it either to National Bracket or NIT. I'm not just talking about the DMV either, and that's likely only time I'll see them play either.

6. College Football: Virginia Tech, Norfolk State.  You're lucky to get a Bowl Game out of me, but I read somewhere that ODU avoided Norfolk State when they first started because they didn't want to get embarrassed by possibly losing to a school with all kinds of other problems at that time and it possibly affect recruiting.  I believe it.

Soccer: D.C. United.  I follow them probably the least, but I want to go to a game in their new stadium to see if I'll like it or not.

Not really sure I get the direction of the thread but will give it a shot.

1.  NFL-  Redskins.  

2.  NHL- Caps

3.  MLB- Orioles

Those are the only sports I give a crap about.  Honestly baseball I don't really follow much and NHL I follow but not that intensely.  NFL is by and far my major sport.

I was brought up that you follow/support your hometown team no matter how good/bad they are.  Hence the Skins, Caps, and Orioles.  I grew up in Southern Maryland so some may ask why not the Ravens/Nationals.  Well they weren't there when I was growing up and I don't get the idea of switching teams.  I can't see myself ever "switching" teams.  I would just give up on a sport first.  Maybe if a team moved away (like a Baltimore Colts situation) I would then switch to the next home team but would then follow the team until it cease to exist.

EDIT:  I will say I pay more attention to the Ravens and Nats than I do other teams.  I will root for them if it doesn't affect my team.  Because they are in my area they get my support, but not like "my team" does.

Ex-Caps fan. They lost me after the great meltdown of 2017. If they couldn't get past Pittsburgh who were missing Letang and Murray (and Crosby was day to day with concussion issues), they will never get past them. They will never win a Cup. Window closed. And I laugh at the fans who are actually emotionally invested in the team this year. They are just suckers for punishment.

Also a big Florida Gators fan (my alma mater). Like the Football and Basketball team. Most recently I have been following the women's volleyball team, which made it to the NCAA Finals this year but lost to Nebraska. Still, they look loaded for the next couple of years and might win their first national championship ever. 

45 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Not really sure I get the direction of the thread but will give it a shot.

1.  NFL-  Redskins.  

2.  NHL- Caps

3.  MLB- Orioles

Those are the only sports I give a crap about.  Honestly baseball I don't really follow much and NHL I follow but not that intensely.  NFL is by and far my major sport.

I was brought up that you follow/support your hometown team no matter how good/bad they are.  Hence the Skins, Caps, and Orioles.  I grew up in Southern Maryland so some may ask why not the Ravens/Nationals.  Well they weren't there when I was growing up and I don't get the idea of switching teams.  I can't see myself ever "switching" teams.  I would just give up on a sport first.  Maybe if a team moved away (like a Baltimore Colts situation) I would then switch to the next home team but would then follow the team until it cease to exist.

EDIT:  I will say I pay more attention to the Ravens and Nats than I do other teams.  I will root for them if it doesn't affect my team.  Because they are in my area they get my support, but not like "my team" does.

Pretty much the same for me.

Capitals

Orioles

Redskins

I grew up in PG county in the 80s and 90s. These were the teams. I don't care about the Ravens and Nationals though, but I also don't live in that area anymore, so I have no reason to. 

Growing up near the Capital Center, I went to a lot of Caps and Bullets games. I just never attached to the Bullets. Perhaps because they weren't any good. 

I do still follow University of Maryland basketball and football. I used to go to games all the time in NC when they were still in the ACC. 

Like you, I don't understand the switching of teams. In fact, that's part of what has grown my fandom of the Redskins despite them sucking so bad the last 25 years. When I first got to NC, the Panthers were doing well. Everyone kept asking me if I was rooting for the Panthers. I'd politely tell them no, but they would insist that I HAD to. It actually made me despise the Panthers and their fans. 

Pros - all the DC teams. Maniacal about the Nats and Caps. Don’t really follow the NBA but pull for the Wiz. Don’t give a **** about the Skins, but don’t have any other NFL allegiance either. 

College - all the WVU teams. 

I’m from the DC area and went to WVU. I keep it simple. 

16 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Like you, I don't understand the switching of teams. In fact, that's part of what has grown my fandom of the Redskins despite them sucking so bad the last 25 years. 

The onus is on the franchise to keep people coming back, imo.  Sitting in the rain watching your team get blown out, you should be allowed to boo as loud as you want without judgement.  

People move a lot, too, or in my case, we didn't have a baseball team yet.  I can think of a couple people who've spent more times in their new area then where they're from, I don't blame them for adopting a couple.

I find it commendable when people stick with their team even through garbage years.  The fact that the Browns still have season ticket holders inspires me as a fan.  At this point, if any of them was going to break me, they would've done it by now.

10 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I love the redskins the most but i follow the nats way more now than the redskins.

Okay, I gotta ask:  does the fact that there's more baseball games and opportunities to follow the Nats factor into that?  I'm noticing I watch the Wizards more then the Redskins, but not because I'm missing Redskins games (I don't remember the last one I missed).

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Okay, I gotta ask:  does the fact that there's more baseball games and opportunities to follow the Nats factor into that?  I'm noticing I watch the Wizards more then the Redskins, but not because I'm missing Redskins games (I don't remember the last one I missed).

I am disinterested in the front office crap.  They spin everything.  I don't have to question the nats.  Every move by Rizzo is logical and somehow the Nats will end up winning the deal.  They are real winners off and on the field.  The redskisn stink in both areas

1) Redskins - made this choice in the late 70s. At the time, I thought they had the coolest helmets, Buccaneers was the second option back then.

2) Penguins - I started liking hockey about the time Mario Lemieux was drafted and WI doesn’t have an NHL team. 

3) Wisconsin Badgers Football - Game day in Madison is a great time.

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The onus is on the franchise to keep people coming back, imo.  Sitting in the rain watching your team get blown out, you should be allowed to boo as loud as you want without judgement.  

People move a lot, too, or in my case, we didn't have a baseball team yet.  I can think of a couple people who've spent more times in their new area then where they're from, I don't blame them for switching a couple.

I find it commendable when people stick with their team even through garbage years.  The fact that the Browns still have season ticket holders inspires me as a fan.  At this point, if any of them was going to break me, they would've done it by now.

Can't argue with the first point. And there are a lot of crappy owners who think fans should just automatically come out to the games regardless of what they do. For me, it kills the excitement for the team, but I still watch and go if I can. I don't like owners in general. Probably because the teams I root for have bad ones, but I root for those teams regardless of the management and sometimes to the detriment of my happiness. 

But as far as loyalty to a team, I always told my wife this analogy and she likes it. Just because a girl moves in next door to us doesn't mean I should leave my wife and marry the new girl. Even if that girl is better looking and more successful. I'm committed to my wife no matter who else moves in. I've always felt the same way about sports teams. I'm committed to them regardless of how well another team does, even if they are right next door to me. 

Capitals -followed them from the HTS and WDCA 20 days with Jeff Rimer

And of course one of the greatest radio play by play men of all time Ron Weber 

Redskins -followed them from the old CBS 11 days before the NFC went to fox and yet another great radio play by play man Frank Herzog

2 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

But as far as loyalty to a team, I always told my wife this analogy and she likes it. Just because a girl moves in next door to us doesn't mean I should leave my wife and marry the new girl. Even if that girl is better looking and more successful. I'm committed to my wife no matter who else moves in. I've always felt the same way about sports teams. I'm committed to them regardless of how well another team does, even if they are right next door to me. 

Of course she's going to like that analogy, but its not like Daniel Snyder is going to go through my phone to check what teams I have on my Bleacher Report app or slash my spare tire on some slow burn **** due to suspicion I might be leaving. 

Relationships with sports franchises are completely different then relationships with people.  Loyalty to a team through thick and through thin should be commendable, but that's usually rewarded more by people than the sports franchises themselves. 

Think about it, I'm dating someone for a couple years and then certifying my commitment to her I propose.  I've been claiming as a redskins fan for longer then I've known anyone in my life outside of family, yet I'm convinced I'm not even on an email list somewhere from them.  I guess I need to get season tickets, for that, huh?

Pro sports: straight ticket D.C. If they have "Washington" in front of the nickname, they at least have my tacit support. Right now my number one team of all is the Nationals. Baseball's my favorite sport and I'm still very happy D.C.'s got a team again. 

College sports: Much of the same - pull for Maryland and Georgetown - but my number one priority is my alma mater: East Carolina University. 

Skins- Dad brainwashed me as a 5 year old. Fortunately, grew up in their heyday\

Celtics- Again, fortunately grew up in some of the most competitive basketball ever played

Red Sox- Eagles fans have nothing on us. 2004 is the second greatest story ever told only to the Bible

Flyers- Broadstreet Bullies, great teams in the 80's

Notre Dame Football- Die hard since Tim Brown was there. 

I've always been very invested in sports since all those teams are basically involved with some of the greatest rivalries in all of sports. 

21 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

I am disinterested in the front office crap.  They spin everything.  I don't have to question the nats.  Every move by Rizzo is logical and somehow the Nats will end up winning the deal.  They are real winners off and on the field.  The redskisn stink in both areas

I keep having to correct myself when I say to myself "feels good to have a stable franchise in DC for a change". 

I'm not in DC anymore, are people still rocking the red like they believe this time might finally be our year?  I want to root for them for more then just by default, but even the shadows of their past expectations are haunting them right now.  They're inside their own heads so bad it looks like two mirrors pointing at each other.

I hope this Ovi era doesn't lose all credit for what they did accomplish as we move further along in all this.   The Bills don't celebrate the anniversaries of that four in row super bowl loss streak like some teams celebrate championship, do they?

Redskins - this one was in my blood since birth.  Dad took me to many games at RFK.  My grandfather used to play Hail to the Redskins on the piano when he was in his 90s.  As I moved from place to place, I never wavered on that one.

Golden State Warriors - I followed basketball but I had no favorite team.  I just liked individual players.  When I was in DC I sorta followed the Bullets, then in Chicago I sorta followed the Bulls, then in Michigan I sort of followed the Pistons.  The only consistent factor was hating the Celtics, lol.  I got to San Francisco right about the same time as the Run-TMC Warriors, and that was a fun as hell team even though they never won anything.  So I joined up, and then suffered with the Warriors for 25 years of awful before getting to enjoy the last 5 years of amazing.   

SF Giants - I never cared about baseball when I was young, but I started getting into it over time.  When I moved to San Francisco, the Giants became the first team in half a century to build their ballpark with their own money, without squeezing the taxpayers for money.  That sold me on them.

University of Michigan Wolverines - My college didn't have much in the way of sports, so I became attached to the teams where I went to grad school.

I was a huge Muhammad Ali fan in my youth, but now I don't enjoy boxing anymore.  

Capitals

Redskins

Nationals (used to be Orioles until DC got a team)

Wizards

Dont really have any favorite college teams.  I like to see GMU do well and I have friends who attended WVU so I root for them when it’s proper to.

I hate pretty much every team from that hellhole that is Pennsylvania.  **** the whole damn state.

PS:  The Maryland flag sucks.

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I hate pretty much every team from that hellhole that is Pennsylvania.  **** the whole damn state.

PS:  The Maryland flag sucks.

Let me know if you think we need another thread for "teams you hate the most"  : )

Pro sports: DC only, from childhood, unbroken despite heartache and shame and rage.

College: Indiana (grad school), NC State (employer), went to a small liberal arts school for undergrad so not much there but we ruled at smart asses and music.

NFL Redskins obviously...although they are proving difficult to watch...25 years and counting.

NCAA Men’s BB: UK Wildcats

MLS: Atlanta United. Been watching soccer for years and never gravitated to a team until The Five Stripes started, I latched on preseason and was not disappointed. They have attendance numbers that are equal to Atlanta Falcons games!

10 hours ago, Yohan said:

2) Penguins - I started liking hockey about the time Mario Lemieux was drafted and WI doesn’t have an NHL team. 

Dude. You're a Washingtonian? I understand not rooting for the Caps -- I gave up on them after last year -- but I'm begging of you, ANYONE

but the Penguins. Root for someone like Edmonton or Toronto, they have a bright future ahead of them. At worst you can even root for the Flyers.

Only not Pittsburgh. Please.

Archived