Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your favorite sports teams???

Renegade7

How many sports you follow did you stick with your first team???  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How many sports you follow did you never switch favorite teams in???

• 5 or more
    • I have one or more that are on last straw status as we speak

1.  Orioles.  Die hard Orioles fan.  Just because the Nats moved closer, I never wavered.  Growing up here, it was the closest baseball team.  Faint memories of Memorial Stadium and I've been there for dozens of games at Camden Yards.  

2.  Redskins.  More like 1a.

3.  Wizards.  I don't follow the NBA like I used to but I still watch a few games and pull for them.  

I will be taking an interest in the Vikings this year.  I've been long looking for a reason to root for another NFL team because the Skins have done us dirty for so long.  While there's no way Cousins and the Vikings can replace the Skins for me, at least there's something else to look forward to on Sundays now.  And I know enough about them to come across as an informed non-bandwagon fan. :)  (Fran Tarkenton, Bud Grant, the Purple People Eaters, Alan Page, Carl Eller, John Randle, Randy Moss and Cris Carter, Gary Anderson's missed kick after being 100% all year, a fancy new stadium and other stuff).

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

Dude. You're a Washingtonian?

Southeastern Wisconsin. Closest NHL team I have are the Blackhawks, but their owner at the time, Bill Wirtz is the reason Milwaukee couldn't get an NHL team. He wanted something like $40 mil a year for territorial infringement. We have the AHL Milwaukee Admirals (great time), the farm team of the Nashville Predators, but I don't switch teams, 30+ year Pens fan.

Redskins- only NFL team I've ever liked/supported.  My personal investment in the Skins is rapidly waning... from season ticket holder in 2007 to sometimes watching when it is convenient.

Liverpool- picked em a couple years ago before the premier league season.  They''ve been a fun team to watch over the past couple of years.  I make a point to watch Liverpool.

Other than that, I generally support DC teams, but I'm far from a fan. 

2 hours ago, Yohan said:

Southeastern Wisconsin. Closest NHL team I have are the Blackhawks, but their owner at the time, Bill Wirtz is the reason Milwaukee couldn't get an NHL team. He wanted something like $40 mil a year for territorial infringement. We have the AHL Milwaukee Admirals (great time), the farm team of the Nashville Predators, but I don't switch teams, 30+ year Pens fan.

How is it you are a Skins fan and not a Packers fan?

Even though I grew up in Washington (Vienna, Virginia), I'm not actually a Redskins fan. Mainly because I didn't like Joe Theismann -- he was pretty mouthy and it got on my nerves. But also because as a 13 year old I watched rookie QB Dan Marino play for the Dolphins and he became my instant idol. I'm still an (unfortunate) Dolphins fan to this day (although I don't follow the NFL as much as I used to).

The other Washington teams: Caps -- as I said, I was Caps nut for a while there, but 2017 truly sickened me. I sincerely doubt they are ever going to be that stacked again, so there is no point in following them. Wizards and Nats -- I'll watch them towards the end of the season and if they start to get good, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.  

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

How is it you are a Skins fan and not a Packers fan?

My parents gave me independence thought, and Redskins had the coolest looking helmets when I started watching football in the late 70s. Unless you were actually in the city of Green Bay, most people I knew growing up were not Packers fans or they were closet Packers fans. They didn't didn't come out until the early 90s during the Majik/Favre time. Plus, I don't care for the color green.

Skins, Caps, Bullets, Mountaineers (football and basketball).

Grew up a Reds fan (Rose, Larkin, Sabo, Eric Davis)..lost interest in MLB in the mid-late 90s, met a SF Giants fan and became a fan of them around 2002. 

Will also root for the SJ Sharks and Dubs..but not at the expense on the Caps and Bullets.

1. Orioles - for better or worse. Often worse. 

1A. Redskins - same as Orioles. Also depending on the time of year

2. Terps Football

3. Terps Basketball 

Big Gap

Caps/Wizards - I'll watch some playoffs and a game here and there

Bonus - as a kid I loved the Charlotte Hornets because of the NBA Jam video game. The Bullets were trash and Charlotte had Larry Johnson and Zo Morning! 

My current order is 

1. Saints - despite growing up in NoVA, my family was originally from New Orleans and for some reason just never got into the Redskins. 

2. Caps - Didn't really get into hockey until college (my roomate was big Devils fan), so I started watch then.  Coincidentally, that year was 1997  :-)

3. Orioles - when I was like in 4th - 6th grade, I followed baseball alot and they were my #1 team.  Then they kind of faded away, particularly when I stopped playing little league in the 7th grade.  Was too busy in high school to really pay attention to sports much, so even when they got good again, I didn't really follow them much.   But after college I had more time on my hands and would tune when a game was on so despite them being horrible in the 2000s I started watching again  

4. Virginia Tech - alma mater, watched them alot from late 90s - late 2000s, not so much when I moved here but will watch big games and bowls (if its a major one)

5. LA Clippers - didn't get into basketball until moving out here (Bay Area) in 2010.  Friend was a Lakers fan, and given my other sports teams, I don't think I could stand rooting for a team that always seemed to win.  Guess I should have picked the Warriors :-|  Although I think my friend has converted to the Warriors now which should give you an idea of the loyalty of the average Lakers fan

1. Redskins

2. Capitals

3. Michigan State (Football and Basketball primarily.  They won the NCAA championship in Hockey when I attended school there, which got me into Caps hockey when I got back home in the late '80s.  Side note: the goalie for the MSU NCAA championship hockey team when I went to school there now lives on the same block as I do here in Falls Church, VA)

That's about it.  When I was young I went to a Washington Senators game, but after they left I grew up rooting for the Orioles.  I am slowly coming around to the Nats, but baseball has never been my favorite sport.

I also grew up watching local basketball, but never had much affinity for the Wizards (or Bullets as they were in my youth, despite their championship in the '70s with Unseld and Hayes).  It does give me a slight rooting interest in the MD Terps in basketball as they were the team I watched growing up (except now that they are in the Big 10 I won't root for them against MSU).  Based on those old ACC rivalries, I have a dislike for North Carolina and Duke.  

Archived