Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

14 hours ago, skinny21 said:

The only real real compelling reason to keep Doctson, IMO, is in the hopes it all comes together for him and we get a comp pick when he leaves in FA.  

I’ll fully admit that my perspective is colored by potential.  Doctson has been given every chance to showcase his, and I think it’s time for these other guys to get the same treatment.

That is why they need to decide now whether he is going to play a big part in this season's offense. 

Committing to him now will increase his opportunities and statistics, which will likely drive up our chances of getting a comp pick for him (or via receiving a pick via a trade). 

Or

Cut ties with him now. He won't be here in the future and will stagnate any possible growth for our youngsters. We also have quite a few fringe guys that look to have some potential that I would rather not have to cut.

A midseason benching is the most redskinseque thing to do and will eliminate any value that doctson carries as a free agent pickup. 

I do feel for doctson a bit. Year 1 was lost to injury. In Year 2 he didn't seem to gel with cousins. Year 3 is then his prove it year and he gets 4 different qbs. No doubt the dude has not taken advantage of the opportunity that he has had though. 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 4:53 PM, NoCalMike said:

Chris Thompson is the kind of player that could help a good team be a great team, or a great team become even more dangerous.........except he can't stay healthy which severely devalues him. 

Possibly our best receiver so I guess this fits in the thread lol. 

Chris Thompson is a weapon and contending teams would definitely give up valuable resources for him if he was healthy and producing near the trade deadline. 

I don't see it happening though because he is too valuable to our team and is one of the few players that makes gruden look capable. 

7 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I do feel for doctson a bit. Year 1 was lost to injury. In Year 2 he didn't seem to gel with cousins. Year 3 is then his prove it year and he gets 4 different qbs. No doubt the dude has not taken advantage of the opportunity that he has had though. 

I wouldn't say I feel for him, but what I do think is the guy is in dire need of a change in scenery. He's the kind of guy, I think, that some positivity could potentially change the direction of his career. I always find it interesting how people neglect to mention the psychological aspect of being a pro athlete. It's like people forget that these guys are human.

They're supposed to be super heroes or something. No human emotion. This is the 2010's. It's a different era. These guys aren't as hardened (which can be both good and bad, for the record) as some of the guys who used to drink beer and smoke cigarettes and cigars all day before playing a game. 

Imagine being Doctson and knowing the heat on you. The ball is in the air and his thought process isn't on adjusting to it, but "holy **** I better catch this or I'm going to get crucified!".

Some team signs him, the fan base gets excited for him and maybe his career trajectory changes.

I mean... it could here... but I think that ship has sailed.

It would be smart for the team to let it, and that should provide Doctson a change to fix his career.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jericho said:

I've said it multiple times, but still think it's a bit perplexing that Doctson has outproduced every Redskins draft pick since Rod Gardner (from 2001) but one (Crowder) and people want to run him out of town when he's still on a cheap rookie deal. Yeah I somewhat get it, Doctson hasn't live up to being a first round pick. Fine. But I think people vastly overestimate any young WRs based their "potential". Technically every young WR has "potential", but even on the sliding scale of potential, the Redskins' receivers aren't exactly oozing with it. 26 WRs were drafted before Robert Davis in 2017, 32 before Quinn in 2018, 33 before Sims in 2018 (and potentially more since he was undrafted), 11 before McLaurin in 2019, and 22 before Harmon in 2019. There's a lot of other young WRs on other teams that the league viewed as having more potential. And most of them will bust.

And yeah, I get that not everything is dictated be draft position. Doctson alone proves that. And people can point to some late round WR successes over the years - Marvin Jones as a 5th rounder, Stefon Diggs as a 5th rounder, Adam Thielen as an undrafted player, Antonio Brown as a 6th rounder, or Julian Edelman in the 7th. So it does happen. But those guys are the exception rather than the rule. You can look at the graveyard of failed picks here: http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=WR&type=position. It's like thinking because Tom Brady was a 6th round pick that anyone can find a franchise QB in the 6th round every year. It could happen, but it probably won't.

I state Doctson's production not so much to defend Doctson, but temper expectations on young WRs. People act like Harmon or Sims or Davis or McLaurin are solutions and not a single one of them has taken an NFL offensive snap. No one know if they're any good if they haven't taken an NFL snap. Quinn has barely taken NFL snaps between a bevy of injuries. Ditto for Richardson on the injuries. It's entirely possibly all of these players never pan out and/or are injured. And that a 500 yard season would be a career high. Obviously, as a fan, i hope that's not the case. That someone or multiple people emerge. But, if I'm basing my expectations on realism and history, odds are that most of these young guys flame out. So I wouldn't be quick to throw away a semi-proven guy. Or, you know, i can believe that Bruce Allen has outsmarted everyone and all these young late round picks are just studs in the making and we can dump Doctson for nothing. One seems realistic, the other an opium fueled pipe dream that basically relies on Bruce Allen finding late round gem after late round gem at historic levels.

If the team cut Doctson, he'd be claimed off waivers in a heartbeat. Probably by Arizona. And for a team that might have the worst WR corps in the league, it shouldn't be cutting WRs that other teams are claiming off waivers.

I'll speak for myself, I don't want to run Doc out of town, I want him to play like the #1 pick he was. But if that's not happening and the others are outperforming him in camp then I hope they keep the best 6 or 7 guys whether Doc is one of them or not. I'd love to see him make the team and produce like a #1 pick. Who wants to see their team cut a former #1 pick after 4 years of little production? Not me.

• Like 2

Ever since D-Jax & Garcon left the team, Doctson has had pretty much ever opportunity to take over that #1 WR position...if not that, then settle into a solid #2 WR role.  He has done neither.  He hasn't even established himself as a particularly good red zone threat which if anything was the one thing I was hanging on hope for because of what he was touted for out of college (athleticism, vertical jump/ability to go over defenders for catches, hands, etc etc).   

I just don't know at this point what Doctson has left to show us that he has been hiding?

If the coaches feel he has done enough to keep a roster spot, then fine, but I hope someone else isn't denied a chance to compete because the front office feels Doctson needs more chances merely because of where he was drafted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/17/2018 at 1:15 PM, CrypticVillain said:

Indeed. He can return kicks. That's good enough to be honest... But he does have a nice frame and can catch.

But I came here to talk about Cam Sims... Sure he's been mentioned a lot already, but I noticed him last week against New England. Dude could legit be playing himself onto the team. I say that because you might can't stash an Alabama player that's showing flashes on Practice Squad and Gruden has kept six receivers before.

Doc, Crowder, Richardson, Harris, Quinn, and Sims... That's a good mix of receivers right there.

Richardson, McLaurin, Quinn, Sims, Harmon, Davis, Sims Jr. > What I said in that post. So, I'm cool. :D

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I just don't know at this point what Doctson has left to show us that he has been hiding?

It's clear that part of the problem is, he probably never wanted to be here in the first place. He definitely doesn't want to be here now. When Julie Donaldson did that interview with him about not getting the fifth year, I hated his whole attitude towards it. Even if he's not media savvy, he showed he simply didn't care anymore.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Ever since D-Jax & Garcon left the team, Doctson has had pretty much ever opportunity to take over that #1 WR position...if not that, then settle into a solid #2 WR role.  He has done neither.  He hasn't even established himself as a particularly good red zone threat which if anything was the one thing I was hanging on hope for because of what he was touted for out of college (athleticism, vertical jump/ability to go over defenders for catches, hands, etc etc).   

If the coaches feel he has done enough to keep a roster spot, then fine, but I hope someone else isn't denied a chance to compete because the front office feels Doctson needs more chances merely because of where he was drafted.

I've said it a hundred times here on ES, whether it was about Skins players, Wizards players, Nationals, etc...

If you're special, it shows right away or at least pretty darn early in development. I know there are exceptions to every rule or situation but overall I have been proven right through the years. Docston just hasn't shown us anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

DId we just see Steve Sims vault Cam Sims on the depth chart?  I think he may have.

I loved seeing Haskins playing catch on the sideline with Cam after his 2 drops.

I think we did. Cam Sims picked the worst night to choke. 

10 hours ago, Chachie said:

I've said it a hundred times here on ES, whether it was about Skins players, Wizards players, Nationals, etc...

If you're special, it shows right away or at least pretty darn early in development. I know there are exceptions to every rule or situation but overall I have been proven right through the years. Docston just hasn't shown us anything. 

Agreed and I hope his spot is taken by someone with upside.  I personally hope he is cut. He won't be here next year anyway and no one else wants to trade us anything for him. He's a bust 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

DId we just see Steve Sims vault Cam Sims on the depth chart?  I think he may have.

I loved seeing Haskins playing catch on the sideline with Cam after his 2 drops.

Months of rankings undone by one pre-season game?

1 minute ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Did Terry Mclaurin or Kelvin Harmon play tonight?

Harmon has one catch for -2 yards. McLaurin I don't believe played

7 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Called Doctson a play maker. Bahahaha

4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Months of rankings undone by one pre-season game?

What has this guy done again in the NFL? Those preseason games are important and he laid a egg tonight. 

4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Harmon has one catch for -2 yards. McLaurin I don't believe played

Whats up with Mclaurin? 

Edited by desertbeagle85
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Whats up with Mclaurin? 

It might sound crazy, but the only plausible explanation is we might be "protecting" him.

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

He may turn out to be a good player, but let's remember that just having a "strong camp" doesn't mean you make the roster.

Mo Harris supposedly had the best camp among the Pats' active receivers, and he didn't even last until the cut-down day.

If we cut Sims though, I would totally expect him to go to PS.

• Like 1

Paul Richardson

Terry Mclaurin 

Trey Quinn 

Kelvin Harmon

Probably locks

So we will keep 1 or 2 more guys. 

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It might sound crazy, but the only plausible explanation is we might be "protecting" him.

That's what it feels like, but you would think the kid needs game experience. Not sure why he played so little in preseason with that being said.  

Edited by desertbeagle85

12 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I'll speak for myself, I don't want to run Doc out of town, I want him to play like the #1 pick he was. But if that's not happening and the others are outperforming him in camp then I hope they keep the best 6 or 7 guys whether Doc is one of them or not. I'd love to see him make the team and produce like a #1 pick. Who wants to see their team cut a former #1 pick after 4 years of little production? Not me.

Its part of his job to beat out the other guys. If his money doesn't match production then oh well. Its buisness

Not a wide receiver, but our leading receiver in both catches and yards tonight, was JP Holtz.

My man had defenders bouncing off of him like he was Gronk, Jr.

It's like somebody told him to step up in case Reed is out for a while.

He was also 100% in target/catch percentage, albeit 2 targets :)

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

16 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

What has this guy done again in the NFL? Those preseason games are important and he laid a egg tonight. 

None of the other guys have done anything in the NFL. Except Doctson and Richardson. And everyone wants to run Doctson out of town. Fans are fickle. They don't want the guy who has actually accomplished something, even if that something is underwhelming. But the young guy that was supposedly a lock all pre-season is gone after a couple of drops in a meaningless game? No one can win

7 minutes ago, Jericho said:

None of the other guys have done anything in the NFL. Except Doctson and Richardson. And everyone wants to run Doctson out of town. Fans are fickle. They don't want the guy who has actually accomplished something, even if that something is underwhelming. But the young guy that was supposedly a lock all pre-season is gone after a couple of drops in a meaningless game? No one can win

Quinn is our slot guy. Mclaurin and Harmon were both drafted in this draft. I doubt either of those guys get cut, because they were drafted this year. Richardson has been paid and won't get cut. Right there is 4 guys and we will keep 6 at most according to Jay. So the question is who has looked better both in preseason and training camp. Im going to have to say Davis has. So one more spot maybe. So do you think the Skins give that spot to a guy that won't be here next year? They also have been trying to trade him and no one wants him. So what's that tell you? It's not just some of the fans that don't see the need for him anymore, It's the organization. The odds are the Doctson gets  cut. 

Edited by desertbeagle85